• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Schooly D

Oh I just meant in the comparison between the armour on 3 Chief and 4 Chief. The Mark VI is pretty form fitting and thin in comparison to any of the other armours in the series. I just don't see where the armour in 4 gives off the look of agility, it looks bulkier to Mark VI.

And speaking of the Reach and 3 Spartan look, I cooked this up a while ago just to look at them side by side.

Z57wv.jpg

No wonder Reach fell. You don't defend a planet with fat Spartans that have bad posture.

Take the armor into consideration.

If you remove their armor, the one on the left looks like a jeans model. The one on the right looks like a super soldier that can flip tanks.

0m51A.jpg

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
So seeing how there'll be armor that affects gameplay in MP now, what would everyone think about the idea of weapon skins in multiplayer? It could be another avenue for player customization/investment, in addition to the armor pieces themselves.

If they were in the game, would you want them to be somewhat grounded (simple camo patterns, or perhaps a chrome, halo 1 pistol-like finish on the BR), or would you not care if they got ridiculous (floating hearts, flames, etc. etc.)?

Mind you, these would be all cosmetic, no red dot or acog scope bullshit.

So seeing how there'll be armor that affects gameplay in MP now, what would everyone think about the idea of weapon skins in multiplayer? It could be another avenue for player customization/investment, in addition to the armor pieces themselves.

If they were in the game, would you want them to be somewhat grounded (simple camo patterns, or perhaps a chrome, halo 1 pistol-like finish on the BR), or would you not care if they got ridiculous (floating hearts, flames, etc. etc.)?

I just want flames to shoot out of my spartan's ass. I dunno about anyone else.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want any kind of goofy weapon skins or armor effects (like Grunt Birthday Party) in Halo 4. They're not a deal breaker, just really obnoxious and tacky.

Havok

yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay
I remember back when everybody was afraid that Inclement Weather would be the most annoying effect since it looked almost kind of maybe like a shield effect. Little did they know that the first effect in the list would be the worst by a country mile.

I just realized something, the Spartan IV doesn't have the white stripes seen in the other bits of MP footage, I wonder if that is the way the will appear in SP when they inevitably show up. MP pic for comparison-
3epZa.png

Actually, look closely. You can still see the stripes (the V is slightly present on the mouthpiece), they're just the same armor color in that screenshot. Also, just pointing out that the default gray Spartan IV suit looks a lot like the original way the Crysis exosuit used to look.

And, elaborating on the ideas for not perks that have been tossed around lately (I was actually the first to post something like customized loadouts in this thread but it got overlooked), what if the first slot was something like:
Choose your Rate of Fire.
1-Shot | 3-Shot | Auto
Single shot is DMR, 3-shot burst is BR, auto is Assault Rifle.
Playing in Covenant games (where you use an Elite) would either have additional weapons, a separate "loadout" sheet, or the Carbine becomes a reskinned DMR, etc.

For your supplementary weapon, you get a Pistol, but instead of all of those options, you get to choose the model. I don't remember which is which, so let's just say for example something like this:
Halo 1 Pistol
-High damage, average spread, slightly above-average range, slightly below-average reload time, average firing speed. All pistols have a 2x scope.

Halo 2 Pistol
-Slightly below-average damage, slightly above-average spread, average range, average reload time, above average firing speed.

Halo 3 Pistol... and so on and so forth.

Alternatively, make weapon customization offer you a total of ~50 points from the beginning, which never increases due to credits or anything. Your pistol has 10 in each stat (damage, ROF, spread, range, reload) and you can customize your pistol to have a minimum of 5 or a maximum of 15 in each stat. You can only use 50 points total though. So you could have a Pistol with Halo 1 pistol damage, halo 2 speed, average range, and then ridiculously slow reload times and crazy wide spread.

And then as a gimmick, maybe add pistol attachments such as explosive (pro pipe grenade), EMP (pro pipe grenade when held down), grappling hook, etc. At the very least, I would be completely up for a minor "stat pool" sort of way to change your starting weapons as far as loadouts go.

Lazslo

Halo 4 looks awesome. Seems a little late to get only this little info but whatevez, different dev different schedule I guess. Looking forward to that BR
spread.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Between finding out there is probably no new halo news for a long time and that my favorite playlist is now dead, it's been a sad day for Halo and I.

That bulletin better be filled to the brim with H4 info.

Karl2177

I'm going to, but I gave that 360 to my brother, so ME3 will have to wait for a night or two...

I think I'm just going to start a new character and do Bioware's default Sheppard.

EDIT: It probably wasn't a good idea bringing my Xbox back to college for ME3 launch... I'm going to get nothing done these next few days.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If someone could explain why load times are so much faster in Halo 3 (goes almost straight from countdown to game) than Reach with its Auntie Dot screen, I'd love to know.

Definitely one of the things I hope they bring back to H4. I love Timmins and there's probably a reason for it, but Reach's MM setup speed is just so slow.

heckfu

Banned
Hi, my name is Heckfu. Is anyone from the community "HaloGAF" interested in playing some Halo: Reach this evening?

The Spartan IVs look sick. I'm glad they look nothing like the terrible Spartans in Reach.
I agree that the new Spartans look really nice, though I didn't mind the Reach Spartans too much. I just wish more of the armor was made in sets so it had some cohesion.

Another thing to consider, is that secondary colors on multiplayer models have changed dramatically through the development of Halo 2 and Halo 3 at least. I remember the Alpha shots in Halo 3 showing off secondary colors on red/blue armor that wasn't anywhere close to the shipped game, like stripes on the top of the Mark VI helmet. I was a HUGE fan of it, too. :_(
I remember that, I was bummed when that stuff changed. If the stripes were something like "armor detail" that you could customize with style, placement and color I would be a very happy person. The more options the better, as long as they are all made with some decent artistic integrity.

Those are things I've wanted since H3, honestly. Still even if we don't get that, I expect a much, much more fleshed out armory.
Yup, once again, I feel the armory really has nowhere to go but up with the options. I loved the subtly camo pattern on the Spartans arms in the Reach beta.. It would be awesome to be able to customize things like that.

Any better, Devo? :(
That looks awesome, sort of reminds me of the Forerunner helmets from the anime.

I would be all for it, as long as the cheesy stuff was toned down or completely absent. I would love things like arctic skins, camo, lights, different colored scopes, etc. I know things like that are pointless, but fun doesn't always have to have a point, and it would give more for players to invest into.

No new Halo stuff at GDC, but I am speaking on recruiting panel on Friday. About working in the biz.
=(

Maybe there is still hope to see some of the B-roll footage the press saw. I don't expect to see the whole thing after Frankie said that sounds like the announcer were placeholder, but it would be nice to see some extended bits of the action with more detail.

No new Halo stuff at GDC, but I am speaking on recruiting panel on Friday. About working in the biz.

Frank's insight on the biz: "Well there's bacon flavored bourbon, what else do you need to know?"

If someone could explain why load times are so much faster in Halo 3 (goes almost straight from countdown to game) than Reach with its Auntie Dot screen, I'd love to know.

Definitely one of the things I hope they bring back to H4. I love Timmins and there's probably a reason for it, but Reach's MM setup speed is just so slow.

Not sure, never really thought about it being longer. The map loading times after the vote are way faster than H3 though, so I think it's still faster to get into the game in total time.

San Fran is frigid. I forgot that it's supposed to be cold in March outside of Florida.

Welcome to not being in the south bro, there is this thing called winter.

Winter is Coming.

Top Bottom