• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Game of Thrones talk

Well I'm glad it wasn't HaloGAF that spoiled you. I didn't realize until you and Starwolf both mentioned starting to read the first book that we have dropped a lot of GOT talk and an unnecessary amount of GIFs (that's a lie, there's no such thing) in the HaloGAF threads. And by we, I mean Plywood and I lol.

Whatthefuckdidijustwatch

Really? I see those jaggies all over (well when I'm up close, not where I'm at in my comfy chair playing on my 50" 1080p TV)

Yeah well things are still going to get jaggy when you have to use absurdly low-res textures on the consoles to make up for it lol.

senador

Banned
So, I keep hearing that 4 grenade spots have been spotted. I've been going through the Showcase vid frame by frame looking for stuff and I see 3 spots.

3 empty grenade slots top right (right after spawn, shield wipe on screen):

(click for big)

Same 3 slots in the top right, 1 filled with frag grenades (also appears to be right after spawn):

(click for big)

Was the 4 from something else? I'm going with 3: frag, plasma, Forerunner.

Also, in the bottom pic top-left, to me that looks like a jet pack and meter. That seems to be the same shape found on the back of all the Spartan IVs (as seen below) shown in the video, which is admittedly not many. I'm now wondering if everyone has both jet pack and sprint. Maybe they just all had it equipped? Maybe its just placeholder and I'm wrong?

Edit: This doesn't match up with what GI says as jet pack being choosable. hmmm

(click for big)

So this doesn't work

Untitled-33.png

been ranked a few days now.

Do we have any word these new stat pages are getting updated since they are so bad compared to Bungie.net stats?

Kibbles

Yeah well things are still going to get jaggy when you have to use absurdly low-res textures on the consoles to make up for it lol.

but, the HD Texture Pack. Since FXAA is being used in Halo 4 I was just wondering if there were any console examples to see if it's all that it's cracked up to be.

Was the 4 from something else? I'm going with 3: frag, plasma, Forerunner.
Yes, in the new GI scans, there very last page has a picture that shows a frag in the upper left with the image of a frag, 2 other numbered icons, and a number with seemingly no icon above it.

blamite

Now that multiplayer is a Spartan training simulation, it'd be neat if Steitzer was made into an actual character on the Infinity. Put a face to the voice.

senador

Banned
Yes, in the new GI scans, there very last page has a picture that shows a frag in the upper left with the image of a frag, 2 other numbered icons, and a number with seemingly no icon above it.

Ah right. I even have the mag. Looking now I see that. They've moved the HUD around some between the Showcase vid and GI screens.

Still, in the image, I can't see an icon above the "2". Might be a UI inconsistency and still mean there are 3 types. Guess we'll see.

I only got Onyx during the Beta.
I think I got Aluminum once. I don't care for the Arena system. I just want to play and see my instantaneous position in relation to others. The best way to do that is to have straight ranks. People will peak at their respective skill levels and know where they stand.

But I also like getting rated for individual performance... Maybe they could track your average individual rating against opponents for each rank and display that info in your stats or make it available for viewing when in the pregame lobby?

And then I think you should have the option to drop your rank down or reset it, if you wish. Would save people from dealing with de-rankers.

but, the HD Texture Pack. Since FXAA is being used in Halo 4 I was just wondering if there were any console examples to see if it's all that it's cracked up to be.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digital-foundry-future-of-anti-aliasing

Keep in mind that this article was published in July last year and the tech has gotten better since then. FXAA isn't taxing at all and it's pretty effective at reducing jaggies, but we're dealing with 720p, not a PC game running natively at 1080p. Aliasing is naturally more noticeable at 720p so while it's effectiveness is reduced, you can still expect a pretty good bump in image quality.

Arena hasn't been determined by match ratings in almost a year. Win/Loss is ALL that counts. I don't see how people don't know this still :/

Bungie/343i really should have communicated it better. Ratings are only for show now.

It's completely win/loss now, just like Halo 3 and Halo 2. In-game performance no longer matters.

edit: i should refresh more

Well shit, that's news to me :lol I haven't played Arena in some time. I thought I'd have remembered such a drastic change to the ranking system. Guess not. Cheers ;)

TheOddOne

Unrelated but hilarious:

UK CHARTS: No.1, Kinect Star Wars is
The Force is remarkably strong with Microsoft this week as its new Xbox 360 title Kinect Star Wars debuts at No.1 in the UKIE GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40.

In this case you should trust your eyes – Kinect is now fully operational. Despite not being the game that critics were looking for, it’s the first Kinect game to claim the top spot in the UK listings.

And Obi-Wan must have taught it well as it’s also the first Star Wars game to top the listings since The Force Unleashed back in 2008.

Proving its no longer the pupil and is now very much the master, it also succeeds in kicking EA’s FIFA Street off the top after a three week stint.

EA largely remains in control of the wretched hive of scum and villainy that it the Top Five, however, claiming places two to five with FIFA Street, Mass Effect 3, FIFA 12 and Tiger Woods 13.

Lower down the charts with a significantly lower Midichlorian count is Capcom’s Devil May Cry HD Collection, which debuts in 18th.

There’s another Kinect game entering the listings this week, with many Bothans dying to ensure Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure made it into the Top 40. It debuts at No.32.
Star Wars references all over this :lol

Ha, must have been bored of writing the same press-releases and decided to latch onto the pop culture for a bit of a laugh.
A groan worthy one.
Not surprised the game is successful, it was going to be as long as it was playable, regardless of the quality of it.

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to even say playable, remembers SW shadows of the empire, SW masters of teras kasi, SW demolition and the worst of all, SW super bombad racing.

256px-Star_Wars_Super_Bombad_Racing_boxart.jpg

*shudders*

If your female composer theories are true perhaps it is Christine O'Donnell....

I'm gonna go very left field and say Óscar Araujo.

Absolutely amazing, more people need to pick up this game.

Myyke

Neo Member
Shadows of The Empire, Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer constituted a huge chunk of my gaming time during the N64 years.

Still don't have a Kinect, but I'm very tempted to try the Han Solo dance.......

For all the Mass Effect 3 people in here: The DLC is up!

Completely forgot that was releasing today, off to download it now. Foooooor Tuchankaaaaaa!

To MasseffectHaloGAF

Dont buy any store packs till tomorrow, you wont get the new classes/weapons till then.

Its going to be the weekly pack that unlocks them for you

To MasseffectHaloGAF

Dont buy any store packs till tomorrow, you wont get the new classes/weapons till then.

Its going to be the weekly pack that unlocks them for you

Saw some guy on the forums complaining that he had bought 8 Spectre Packs (possibly premium ones) before stopping to wonder if the characters were available yet.

Edit: Oh man... poor Robert :p

kylej

Banned
I told you the other night you have to really invest in the Arena playlist to get your real rating. It's a 3 month long season and playing and winning 30 games (while impressive) against bad kids isn't a real measure. That's like starting a new account in Halo 3 and only playing Ranked TD's for a weekend.

You, kyle and Over are good enough to get low Onyx, but you have to play a lot more games after getting your first rating. Trueskill doesn't take effect as soon as some would think in Arena.

I think I was 10% onyx one season after playing 5 days and never touching it again (it slid down to 20 or 30% I think as the season went on). I don't really understand Arena, which is irrelevant because I'm still playing like ass because I can't practice because juices works at Walmart until Midnight and everyone else is playing Skyrim.

Gui_PT

YES!, i figured you would be playing with a group of friends so i didnt invite you. I typically play with 2 other guys you would be a welcome 4th

Oh I have no friends.

Seriously now, no one's online in the afternoon over here so I have to roll with randoms. Usually play with Xand and Krow or Hydra after dinner

As much as it goes against conventional wisdom (i.e., Halo 2's campaign sucks!) it's true. The battle leading up to, and the fight inside the Mausoleum of the Arbiter in "Gravemind," and the interior fights in "Delta Halo" and "Sacred Icon."

The best interior fighting in Halo: CE is inside "The Silent Cartographer" which doesn't compare to the awesomeness of the Mausoleum of the Arbiter.

Anyway, HaloGAF, I just ordered The Shield S1 off Amazon.

789shadow

Banned
I don't even remember that. All I remember is the never-ending super-long Arbiter Flood levels, the god awful Halo 2 Brutes, and High Charity.

And both of those boss fights.

zap

As much as it goes against conventional wisdom (i.e., Halo 2's campaign sucks!) it's true. The battle leading up to, and the fight inside the Mausoleum of the Arbiter in "Gravemind," and the interior fights in "Delta Halo" and "Sacred Icon."

The best interior fighting in Halo: CE is inside "The Silent Cartographer" which doesn't compare to the awesomeness of the Mausoleum of the Arbiter.

I'm thinking of starting it myself. Let us know what you think, especially compared to The Wire.

Falagard

People are rough on Halo 2's campaign because their expectations were too high. There are many parts in Halo 2 that are better than Halo 1's campaign.

Overdoziz

Banned
I told you the other night you have to really invest in the Arena playlist to get your real rating. It's a 3 month long season and playing and winning 30 games (while impressive) against bad kids isn't a real measure. That's like starting a new account in Halo 3 and only playing Ranked TD's for a weekend.

You, kyle and Over are good enough to get low Onyx, but you have to play a lot more games after getting your first rating. Trueskill doesn't take effect as soon as some would think in Arena.

I'm sitting at 50% Gold this season playing with the same guys night after night and we constantly get matched up against die-hard Arena teams with Onyx ratings. One kid tonight had 630 games played this season alone.
Last time I got ranked in Arena I got 45% Onyx (Dropped down to 65% because I didn't play anymore). And that was after playing the minimum amount of matches required.

Not sure why, but I haven't been this hyped for a Halo game since Halo 2, surprisingly....is it because it's a brand new trilogy?

Anyone else feel this way?

Top Bottom