• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Homeboyd

Frankie said we wouldn't be disappointed... so think of the most incredible, unbelievable thing you can think to add to Forge and expect it to happen. Otherwise, you know... he lied and stuff.

Falagard

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't waste a spot on a Valhalla remake. Just let your fans do it in Forge. Also, don't want to see yet another Hang em high remake. With the exception of Beaver Creek or Sidewinder I don't want to see any more CE remakes.

Right, I forgot why I disliked you. Now I remember, you hate Valhalla.

First of all, there's no way there's going to be a terrain editor in Forge that will be able to reproduce Valhalla.

Second of all, Valhalla is my favorite map of all time. There, I said it.

What was the excuse about not being able to watch theater with your buddies in Reach?

Because I hate that

Why Bungie

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't waste a spot on a Valhalla remake.

EdcIn.gif

GhaleonEB

I disagree, fuck the armor abilities. I want the maps to be fun without armor abilities. Get those jetpacks out of my Halos.
Me:

A map that plays well as is

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I am not an advocate of armor abilities, nor was I advocating for them there.

I am at the 'acceptance' stage here. Halo 4 is going to have armor abilities (or whatever they call them). That's the reality of it. I want the game to play as well as possible and that means designing the maps with them in mind; Reach's many remakes showed that maps made before AA's were in Halo played poorly with them shoehorned in after the fact, with very few exceptions (tough to break a map with Hologram, for instance).

Arnie

Really interested to see the new Forge, and that's coming from someone who's tried to build maps multiple times in both iterations of Forge, but is yet to produce a finished map. I've sketched out designs, thought deeply about lighting and player space, chosen spawn points and calculated lines of site.

But I still haven't finished a single map. That's my challenge to 343i, usability.

Myyke

Neo Member
What's bad about it, other than the ending? What I'm worried about most is that this is gonna be essentially a 3rd person shooter, with any semblance of plot thrown out the window.
Or at least that's how the demo made me feel.

And yes, I'm definitely looking forward to multiplayer.
spoilerish story thing, not much of one if at all:
I was told that in order to achieve the ending desired (ie defend the galaxy in the best way possible? Not really sure, the guy I talked to was vague), I pretty much had to play mutiplayer to get "resources", sort of like ME2 and the ship upgrades. Is that actually true?

I really enjoyed the story in ME3, it is not just a third person shooter and the enhanced control/combat system contributed significantly to my enjoyment of the game. It felt essentially like a more refined ME2 gameplay wise to me. If there is an issue anyone has with the story it is probably the ending, although I personally enjoyed it.

With regards to your spoilerish thing:
During the single player game you acquire "War Assets", which add up to calculate a numerical "Military Strength". Playing Multiplayer increases what is referred to as your "Galactic Readiness Rating" which by default is at 50%. So for example, if your Military Strength was 1000, then at 50% readiness your Effective Military Strength would actually be 500. You can also convert your Multiplayer characters into War Assets and transfer them into the single player game, further boosting your Military Strength

Man, after listening to the Halo 2 soundtrack again, I really wish I could play through campaign with someone online...

As much as people seem to hate it's campaign here, I really love it - co-op especially.

I want to be able to do a run through 1, 2, 3, and 4 online :( I love Halo campaign marathons...

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't waste a spot on any remake. Just let your fans make them in Forge.

Fixed. I want all new maps.

Maybe Valhalla as DLC, but overall I'd rather have new maps.

Kuroyume

Banned
Colossus was amazing. One of the best CTF maps ever. Flag juggling + throwing + huge lift = Pure fun. Also, a great snipers map.

I wonder if the people who say they like Valhalla never played or played very little of Coagulation. Don't understand how anyone can like such a flawed map so much.

First map on Halo 2 was Waterworks, BTB. I finally got XBL, I thought the first thing to do was hop online with as many people as possible.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=61469434&player=StealthKamakaze

-9, like a fucking BOSS

*so glad there's a website that actually has that game I played from 2005 on it*
Mine was Team Slayer on Relic (what was that map doing in there? lol) and I went -1. I showed you!
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=417639899&player=Dax01

GhaleonEB

Man, after listening to the Halo 2 soundtrack again, I really wish I could play through campaign with someone online...

As much as people seem to hate it's campaign here, I really love it - co-op especially.

I want to be able to do a run through 1, 2, 3, and 4 online :( I love Halo campaign marathons...

On that note: I really like having Campaign in matchmaking. I don't play it often, but when I do it's very nice to be able to just hop on and have a co-op romp. The 10,000 cR challenge today (which was quite welcome - moar please) was fun and quick to do with matchmaking.

Falagard

Me:

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I am not an advocate of armor abilities, nor was I advocating for them there.

I am at the 'acceptance' stage here. Halo 4 is going to have armor abilities (or whatever they call them). That's the reality of it. I want the game to play as well as possible and that means designing the maps with them in mind; Reach's many remakes showed that maps made before AA's were in Halo played poorly with them shoehorned in after the fact, with very few exceptions (tough to break a map with Hologram, for instance).

Well, I'm mostly disagreeing with Jetpacks in general being in Halo 4, since they break map flow.

In fact, I don't think you can design a map around the Jetpack AA as it was in Halo Reach without it being completely ridiculous. I've seen several attempts at this in Reach and they are all bad.

Here's something else to think about - it seems as though Halo 4 has loadouts where you can choose your armor abiity, weapon, etc. and then play with that loadout. In Reach you are limited to a predefined set of loadouts that you can choose from instead, and those loadouts could have been specifically tailored to the map and game type (they often aren't, but they could have been).

Now, in Halo 4 it *seems* as though you define your own loadouts, potentially needing to unlock armor abilities and weapon addons or whatever through progression. So, will 343 still be able to limit what you can use based on game type and map? (I'm not thinking about a "classic" playlist that doesn't include armor abilities and extras, but more like basic Halo 4 slayer and objective playlists that include AAs). If you earned the Jetpack armor ability, but Jetpack completely fucks up a map and gametype combination because Jetpacks are stupid, players will still feel like they're entitled to choose whatever loadout they want.

I honestly don't think jetpacks will work the same as they do in Reach. I think they'll just give you a little extra jump height, or greater jump distance, or slow down descent when you're falling, because I think 343 is smart enough to know the problems with them.

On that note: I really like having Campaign in matchmaking. I don't play it often, but when I do it's very nice to be able to just hop on and have a co-op romp. The 10,000 cR challenge today (which was quite welcome - moar please) was fun and quick to do with matchmaking.

I only wish Halo 3 had that matchmaking. It's such a great addition.

Or if Reach had a campaign I'd want to revisit outside a select few missions.

First map on Halo 2 was Waterworks, BTB. I finally got XBL, I thought the first thing to do was hop online with as many people as possible.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=61469434&player=StealthKamakaze

-9, like a fucking BOSS

*so glad there's a website that actually has that game I played from 2005 on it*

First map was relic, I opened up the teleporter (without knowing the consequences),which allowed the other team to come through easily.

Was called a fucking noob.

Good times.

GhaleonEB said:
This. So much this. A map that plays well as is, but has certain chasms that can be crossed with jetpack, certain blind corners that Forerunner vision will be useful for, etc.

There's not a single remake in Reach that plays as good as the original because it wasn't designed with AA's as part of the sandbox.

Haha to be fair the post of mine you quoted was just a joke, I actually hope that there is a classic mode and that the maps are designed for the classic mode. Having maps with areas that you can only traverse with Jetpack for example would add to the rock paper scissors aspect of AA's and make them even more annoying. I agree that maps need to be designed with AA's in mind, but that just means perhaps throwing in more death pits, or raising the distance between ledges to stop easy jetpack access, not the other way round to help encourage AA's.

Then again my logic is flawed, I hate AA's, of course if 343 put them in the game they wont go out of they're way to make them impractical.

GhaleonEB

Well, I'm mostly disagreeing with Jetpacks in general being in Halo 4, since they break map flow.

In fact, I don't think you can design a map around the Jetpack AA as it was in Halo Reach without it being completely ridiculous. I've seen several attempts at this in Reach and they are all bad.
This I do agree with. The Reach jetpack demolished map flow, and when I was building maps, I couldn't ever find a way to balance that out. I am worried about the jetpack in Halo 4. I fear that since Reach added it, we'll never be rid of the thing.

My hope is at the least Reach's version is a jump pack, rather than a jetpack with hover capability, as you said.

Haha to be fair the post of mine you quoted was just a joke, .
Well, there's a reason I snipped out most your post before responding. Beneath the layers of sarcasm was a good point. :p

I honestly don't think jetpacks will work the same as they do in Reach. I think they'll just give you a little extra jump height, or greater jump distance, or slow down descent when you're falling, because I think 343 is smart enough to know the problems with them.

Sooo glad you brought this up. Totally agree. I mean, obviously AAs detracted from Reach insome form. What I really hope to se 343 doing is keep the same AAs (cut a few perhaps) but completely rework and refine them.

This. So much this. A map that plays well as is, but has certain chasms that can be crossed with jetpack, certain blind corners that Forerunner vision will be useful for, etc.

There's not a single remake in Reach that plays as good as the original because it wasn't designed with AA's as part of the sandbox.
Unfortunately even Vanilla maps are not really designed for AAs.

I'm in a nearly similar position. But I'm going to explain my position with a Halo metaphor:
Right now I'm a Elite who follows the Prophets blindly and hopes that the Great Journey is no big lie.

Edit.: Ghal, read your last post again. ;)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That was the first map I played on Halo 2 mp, loved it so much.

Me too! I was absolutely terrible at Halo during the H2 days, though, so all of my memories are of me getting shit on and rage quitting.

CyReN

Me too! I was absolutely terrible at Halo during the H2 days, though, so all of my memories are of me getting shit on and rage quitting.

My first online game ever double team, was be doing horribly of course.
"Dude you fucken suck, why do you even play this game when you suck so much ass"

good times.

kylej

Banned
My first Xbox Live tag seems to be gone forever. :( Destitute Grain, which I can't for the life of me remember why that was it.

An attempt to get Frank and David to look into your old gamertag, knowing this is probably the most relevant place to ask in all of NeoGAF so you'll be safe? Interesting.

kylej

Banned
I feel like we should be discussing our first Modern Warfare experiences since that's more relevant to the current direction of Halo.

feel

I feel like we should be discussing our first Modern Warfare experiences since that's more relevant to the current direction of Halo.
Team Deathmatch on Crash (cod4beta). Shit felt like being in that MGS4 trailer that was popular at the time. So good.

Yes, keep that f34tur3 alive!

Arnie

Same, I actually got into the Beta legitimately through email, before it become popular kids, and it was revelatory. The weapon handling was eye openingly smooth, as were the animations. Played over 24 hours of the beta.

Needed something to pass the time before I could Finish the Fight.

Ramirez

Yeah I know it is, I'm just baffled that video game magazines are popular.

They are a terrible way to show the video game medium.

Have you ever read a GI, or are you just spouting nonsense every time someone brings up a magazine? GI has excellent write ups and articles on things not even pertaining to current videogames. Of course it's not the best medium to stay up to date given it's a monthly thing, but to dismiss the entire thing because the internet is better for seeing current games in motion is ignorance.

Fuck, if Narrows was in Reach it'd be the darling of the bunch.

Taking off on a man cannon and dying to fall damage would be splendid. We were playing Anny one night and I died to fall damage twice in a row with full shields and despite me crouching, so much fun. I really hope 4 doesn't have fall damage of any kind, not even a stun.

CoD4 was the only one of the Modern Warfare series that I actually played, willing to give it a shot, this was before it all blew up and just switched to its modern combat. Played through the single player. It was alright enough to grab all the cheevs for.

Then I played multiplayer and had to grind out experience to get more options available. I wanted a P90. I had to be level 40 to unlock it. I was level 15 or something. I then sold the game shortly after it getting DLC maps and never touched the series again.

It's why I'm pretty concerned over these supposed progression unlocks in Halo 4. That carrot on a stick dangling didn't work for me when it was fresh, I can't tolerate it at all now. I played the beta of Starhawk for 10 minutes before I realized it had a similar system and I deleted it and never have any intention of getting it because of that.

FyreWulff

I accidentally deleted all of my Halo 2 history when I changed back to my original tag. I had backed up all the pages of games with a script, then I forgot to back up that backup before I installed Windows 7. whoops.jpg

I do remember it being 1 Bomb or 1 Flag on Zanzibar as my first game though, for 2.

Overdoziz

Banned
Taking off on a man cannon and dying to fall damage would be splendid. We were playing Anny one night and I died to fall damage twice in a row with full shields and despite me crouching, so much fun. I really hope 4 doesn't have fall damage of any kind, not even a stun.
The one time I used the gravity lift on Pinnacle I lost my shields and only had one bar of health left. Yeah, not doing that again.

Louis Wu

Also, can you even look at your first Reach game without going through each page of 25 games?
Sure. Divide your number of games by 25, change the page number to that number.

(My first Reach multiplayer game - I played all the way through Campaign before I jumped on. I could almost be pro...)

Totally different subject - I wonder if Ghal has OT3 ready to go? Looks like we'll hit it sometime tomorrow.

Edit: Holy shit! I went +13 in my first Halo 3 game. WTF?

(Halo 2 wasn't quite as good. :) )

Jumping off of the Spire is always kind of thrilling, actually. It wouldn't make much sense if you didn't take any damage from that.

There should be some terminal height damage, but I agree that a Narrows or Valhalla man-cannon should not result in fall damage.

Top Bottom