• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

I still think that if you make a game that is incredibly popular with the hardcore crowd, (and by hardcore i just mean a game that allows for a deep skill progression, an adequate ranking system, and a game that's balanced) which hasn't happened in a while for Halo (maybe Halo3), you'll attract the rest of the gaming community simply out of curiousity. That's what happened for a lot of people in Halo:CE and Halo2.

Hype, moreso than rewards, draws players imo. And the hardcore crowd makes the most noise when a game is actually good. It's not like the first two Halo games were any easier on newcomers, but that didn't stop them from being more popular than the CoD/MW games at the time. If 343 builds a good game, the casual crowd will come. Am i speaking out of my butt? It's possible lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Let's say a bad player 1v1s a good player to a game of 15.
I think in Halo that's a much bigger chance of it ending in 15-0 than in CoD.

I would agree here, but I still believe the CoD game might end 15-3 or something close. Yeah, CoD gives lower players more of a chance, but not that much more. A team of good CoD players will still wipe the floor with a team of bad/mediocre ones.

That's how multiplayer should work IMO, it should be fun for any level, but good players are still a head and shoulders above the bad.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Let's say a bad player 1v1s a good player to a game of 15.
I think in Halo that's a much bigger chance of it ending in 15-0 than in CoD.

I agree. I suck at CoD, but if I were to play you (assuming you're good), I'd get a handful of kills just by spawning behind you. Throw in 2-3 more because I saw you first. Maybe 1 or 2 more if I get a killstreak.

I am also of the belief that most people play CoD because it makes people of all skill levels feel badass. Sure, I just went 8-14 and we lost, but damn, that guitar riff when I sprinted for 2 miles was awesome!
On the other hand, I do understand that the game can be played competitively. Although I think it only works without killstreaks. Killstreaks are my least favorite feature of CoD by far. You haven't been frustrated playing games until you spawn into someone's bomb twice in a row.

Overdoziz

Banned
I would agree here, but I still believe the CoD game might end 15-3 or something close. Yeah, CoD gives lower players more of a chance, but not that much more. A team of good CoD players will still wipe the floor with a team of bad/mediocre ones.

That's how multiplayer should work IMO, it should be fun for any level, but good players are still a head and shoulders above the bad.
I'm not saying good players won't destroy bad teams. I'm simply saying there's a smaller skill-gap.

heckfu

Banned
hahahah can someone gif this right here?

up until he walks into the other room.

perfect for gaming side posts on GAF lmao

WHY DID I CLICK THAT TWICE. I HATE YOU SO DAMN MUCH.

edit: seriously, please don't gif that. i have the lowest vomit tolerance ever and i throw up when i see people in person do it, i can't handle it just showing up on pages.

Ok, a little late with this post, but here is my opinion on the issue of the Grunt redesign-

Pros
-Lack of fully covered face is OK, they clearly are still receiving methane.
-Overall, the new art is fantastic and I love the new face
-likely looks amazing in motion
-did I mention the art over all is fantastic?

Cons
-Grunts are Arthropods, it is stated in the Halo Encyclopedia and Halo the essential visual guide. As such, the fleshy hands and feet really do not make sense.
-Hands and feet now look more generic
-Feet now have a drastically different structure that ignore every previous Halo game. (Past games have had three front facing ‘digits/stumps’ with one on the back. halo 4 now has four forward facing toes)
-Overall profile/silhouette of the arms and legs are much more simple and uninspired

While overall I enjoy the new art direction, I do not like the huge changes to the grunt anatomy, namely the feet changing from stumpy appendages to a very recognizable fleshy foot with toes. (Interestingly enough, they seem to be influenced strongly by the Halo Wars grunt which you can see in the picture below) Grunts are established as arthropods, so not only does this change ignore what the past games established via art, it also ignore the physiology of a Grunt should be.

On top of the reason why the changes to the hands/feet don’t make sense canonically, they also happen to make the grunt look more like a generic monster rather than a unique alien species. Once again, the face and body are fine, as they stay close enough to what is established by previous games while making it their own, and in a fantastic way IMO.

Pictures to emphasize points above:

odBQG.jpg
(at the very least the Halo Wars grunt tried to stay true to the digits on the feet despite turning them to toes)

and

zap

Countdown is much better than Construct, but I don't think AAs have anything to do with it.

gxOQD.gif

Countdown is absolutely terrible in Vanilla Reach. Two short range power weapons, tight spaces and sprint+sword/shotgun being so potent makes every game play the same (badly).

I disagree, especially given the power of killstreaks.

A good player in CoD will trounce a bad CoD player just as a good Halo player would trounce a bad Halo player. I think that a good Halo player will easily be a good CoD player but it doesnt work the other way round.

So I guess while both games 'take skill' CoD is certainly more accessible and easier to get good at, which may account partly for its success, I hope Halo doesnt dumb down to reach that audience though.

Max Payne 3 is 2 disc...what. Hope Halo stays on 1.

Depends if Spartan Ops missions are downloadable each week or however often they release the next on or if they're all on the disc IMO.

gxOQD.gif

Countdown is absolutely terrible in Vanilla Reach. Two short range power weapons, tight spaces and sprint+sword/shotgun being so potent makes every game play the same (badly).

Default Construct has laser, missile pod, and flamethrower. They both have terrible default weapons.

Games should be distributed on locked Flash drives next gen, not discs.

Games should be available to DL to your hard drive next gen on the day of the games release.

Homeboyd

Doesn't it usually take quite a bit of time for a mod to change your username? Is the stink given special privileges?

Fronk: "Hey you fucking mod, change my username to "Stinklez" before I ban your ass."

Mod: "Yes sir, just put your clothes back on."

37 seconds later

DONE

Me: "Excuse me Mr. Moderator, sir, after many hours of contemplation, I have decided to change my username to [new username] because it was the name my late father used to call me before he passed and it would mean a lot to me if I could remember him by using it everyday to post here. Any chance you could help me?"

2 months later

Mod: "Sorry, I must've missed your msg. Ooops. Uh, yeah let me check on that for you"

Request denied. Tags Homeboyd: "lol I think I'm important"

A good player in CoD will trounce a bad CoD player just as a good Halo player would trounce a bad Halo player. I think that a good Halo player will easily be a good CoD player but it doesnt work the other way round.

So I guess while both games 'take skill' CoD is certainly more accessible and easier to get good at, which may account partly for its success, I hope Halo doesnt dumb down to reach that audience though.

Ya me either. I dont think it needs to if they do the rewards system progression right.

I don't understand the 35gb thing for MP3. I was thinking it was for uncompressed cutscenes, but one of the big selling points in the trailers are the seamless transitions between gameplay and the story sequences, they all use in-game assets. So what's the deal!?

Max Payne 3 is 2 disc...what. Hope Halo stays on 1.
Really? I would wish if it were 2 discs...

I don't understand the 35gb thing for MP3. I was thinking it was for uncompressed cutscenes, but one of the big selling points in the trailers are the seamless transitions between gameplay and the story sequences, they all use in-game assets. So what's the deal!?
lol DLC content of course. j/k

Fuchsdh

Two discs is fine by me, as long as it doesn't require the swap if you've installed it to your hard drive. That makes me rage.

Fuchsdh

Ya, thats so god damn stupid.

Well, I do understand why they do it--it's the same rationale behind having the disc in the tray for any other game, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. I don't think people really are going to install the game and then sell back one disc, laughing maniacally at Microsoft or whoever.

Default Construct has laser, missile pod, and flamethrower. They both have terrible default weapons.
The difference there is that a majority of the time, laser and missile pod aren't going to help you any. I've never seen anyone get a perfection on Construct with any of those weapons

Striker

It had Sword which was an absolutely terrible idea since it was not a far walk away from those purple lifts. Camp central.

Countdown is in similar vein to Construct that is needs no radar, no AA's/equipment, and a rifle start. Starting with AR's turns it into simultaneous kills because of the awful melee both games have.

zap

Those weapons don't break the bad. The Shotgun and Sword on Countdown do.

This. So much this.

Well, I do understand why they do it--it's the same rationale behind having the disc in the tray for any other game, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. I don't think people really are going to install the game and then sell back one disc, laughing maniacally at Microsoft or whoever.

No, but friends would buy one copy between them and take one disc each - half price games, man!

What they should do is make one disc installable (i.e. BF3 texture pack disc, Forza 3 second disc), and require you to have the first disc in at all times. That would give the best of both worlds.

Countdown would be so much better if there were bigger doors. Now, because most doors are half closed, people tend to hide behind them which really slows the pace of the match down.

I don't get why Bungie decided to half close all the doors on Countdown. In campaign, they're fully opened...

Still trying to like Halo 4's soundtrack. Those samples have grown on me in a way, but some of the music in the Vidoc still sounds like someone who thinks Hans Zimmer should score the universe.

Those chants at the start are still fucking badass, though.

FyreWulff

Does any game let you continue from one disk, if the other is installed on the hard drive?

I didn't think MS allowes it.

Nope. All it does is make a disc image of the disc you've put in, which only 'unlocks' when the disc is in the drive. The only way for a game to use data that's on Disc 2 when Disc 1 is in the drive is for Disc 2 to basically install itself as DLC onto your hard drive, like Forza.

Nope. All it does is make a disc image of the disc you've put in, which only 'unlocks' when the disc is in the drive. The only way for a game to use data that's on Disc 2 when Disc 1 is in the drive is for Disc 2 to basically install itself as DLC onto your hard drive, like Forza.

I dont know why everyone doesnt do that

Man i LOVE The Dark Knights soundtrack!! ;)

That's Zimmer doing something unique for a change. Don't forget Howard, either. 90% of Zimmer's other work all sounds the same for every freaking movie it's in, and some of the things I heard in that Vidoc just give off way too much of a Zimmer vibe for me.

I'm hoping Halo 4 is on two discs. I want the campaign to be nice and long, at least by FPS standards. They could have one discs say "Halo 4" and just be the campaign, while the other says "Halo Infinity" and is multiplayer, Spartan Ops, Forge, etc.

Himself

Alight HaloGAF help a brother out. I've only played the original trilogy and all at the time they respectively came out. I'm starting from the beginning and plan on working my way through the whole series. I don't remember the amount of copy/paste being as offensive as I'm finding it in my current play through of Halo 1. Does halo 2 and 3 eventually drop the copy/paste level design? I don't quite remember.

Gui_PT

Alight HaloGAF help a brother out. I've only played the original trilogy and all at the time they respectively came out. I'm starting from the beginning and plan on working my way through the whole series. I don't remember the amount of copy/paste being as offensive as I'm finding it in my current play through of Halo 1. Does halo 2 and 3 eventually drop the copy/paste level design? I don't quite remember.

Yes

Fuchsdh

It had Sword which was an absolutely terrible idea since it was not a far walk away from those purple lifts. Camp central.

Countdown is in similar vain to Construct that is needs no radar, no AA's/equipment, and a rifle start. Starting with AR's turns it into simultaneous kills because of the awful melee both games have.

So am I the only one that likes Construct? It's kind of an odd map in that the bottom area is sort of wasted space, and it can be easy to camp the lifts if there aren't many good players, but I love the verticality, aesthetic, and multiple escape routes.

Come to think of it, it'd probably be horrible in Reach because you have altitude indicators for the motion tracker... the lack of those meant that you had to be much more careful when you were on the top ring. With the Reach/4 tracker it'd be even easier to camp the lifts.

Every Halo game has had some measure of backtracking (except Wars, I guess), but Bungie got much better at making them bearable... ironically the backtracking in Combat Evolved makes perfect sense story-wise, it just doesn't lessen the annoyance.

The design of Sword Base/The Package is a great example of how to do backtracking, I think.

Top Bottom