• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

And man, I've been reading through Primordium but it is VERY slow going, but very interesting stuff if you have a keen interest in the variety of fruits and insect life to be found on a Halo. I'm maybe 60% through it now and its just now barely starting to get interesting.

And man, I've been reading through Primordium but it is VERY slow going, but very interesting stuff if you have a keen interest in the variety of fruits and insect life to be found on a Halo. I'm maybe 60% through it now and its just now barely starting to get interesting.

Damn, I'm just about finished Cryptum and this post made me sad. Hopefully it's just you.

As long as whatever level we have can be lost through losing games then I'm fine. It makes each game worth something thus making it more competitive.

So you can't go down in Arena, other than in between seasons?

--

Guys. Arena 2.0. Seriously. How do you make it work?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As long as whatever level we have can be lost through losing games then I'm fine. It makes each game worth something thus making it more competitive.

There was this river, than there was this lake, then there was some grass, then there was a rock, hey look it's that river again!

But the payoff is worth it.

Trey

Elzar knows what's up.

Shit gets real. Trust me.

Damn, I'm just about finished Cryptum and this post made me sad. Hopefully it's just you.

It's not just him, but the end of the book salvages the impossibly dry first 3/4ths in my opinion. Get it.

There was this river, than there was this lake, then there was some grass, then there was a rock, hey look it's that river again!

But the payoff is worth it.
Thats been my hope :) And yeah, your description is no exaggeration, along with far too many details of insects and fruits.

Shit gets real. Trust me.
Am just now getting into some real stuff (including non-real stuff), so I hope its a nice free fall of goodness from this point forward. There ARE interesting ideas to explore, but they've been dribbled out in tiny pieces over too much other filler, like butter spread across too much bread.

Hobbits.

I'm happy with whatever ranking system visible or otherwise they give me as long as they don't pull a Reach and put me in a 5v5 match where I'm with a party of 4 with three guests up against Eclipses and Inheritors.

If I am understanding your question correctly, it is by necessity "both" - that is to say she's a separate perosnality - just like your child would have his or her own persona, but there are unavoidable "genetic" connections.

Yeah, I worded that a bit weird, but you answered my question. I've always viewed Chief and Cortana's relationship as a son/mother dynamic (albeit it didn't really show until late-game Halo 3, though it played out wonderfully from an atmospheric perspective) and switching that up in 4 (aka romance options and stuff) would just be weird.

Halo 2:
  • Knifing (Stop the disc from reading maps, so you get dlc to cheat with)
  • Bridging (giving someone host to cheat, or prevent it)
  • Map Modding (Cheat on DLC maps and win for a rank)

Halo 3:
  • Selling accounts

Halo Reach:

I'm well aware of the cheating people did as I was involved in the modding community during the Halo 2 days. I have no statistical evidence to how bad it was in Halo 2/3, but in my personal account it wasn't that bad. Of course every once in a while I got standbyers, or modders, but it wasn't so bad to the point I couldn't play anymore. This was around 2005-2006 though..I would imagine it was much worse at the release time.

I don't understand how bridging or selling your account can be considered cheating. Bridging could be cheating if your helping someone to host so they can mod, standby, hostboot.

CyReN

I'll note that knocking people off is not worth the effort, in Reach people quit anyway...

That's the bad thing with no ranks and true skill being funky. The drop in feature should cancel out quitters in social games but when it get's to something that is like Team Slayer or MLG we have to have it so people can match up evenly with or without a number and have motivation to play.

I don't understand how bridging or selling your account can be considered cheating.

It's dishonest, but it's MS call. Same if someone used some paper and turned it in, it's cheating when it represents you.

Bridging is system modification using Xbox Live for part of it and any modification or tampering is cheating.

Yeah, I worded that a bit weird, but you answered my question. I've always viewed Chief and Cortana's relationship as a son/mother dynamic (albeit it didn't really show until late-game Halo 3, though it played out wonderfully from an atmospheric perspective) and switching that up in 4 (aka romance options and stuff) would just be weird.
Well I'm the opposite. The mother-son thing would be super weird to me considering the pre-established fiction.

That's the bad thing with no ranks and true skill being funky. The drop in feature should cancel out quitters in social games but when it get's to something that is like Team Slayer or MLG we have to have it so people can match up evenly with or without a number and have motivation to play.

It's dishonest, but it's MS call. Same if someone used some paper and turned it in, it's cheating when it represents you.

Bridging is system modification using Xbox Live for part of it and any modification or tampering is cheating.

I see where your coming from, I just always thought cheating would give you some large advantage in gameplay. ie modding allowed you to spawn kill people with a rapid-fire sniper rife that had auto-aim, standbying allowed you to kill people while they were stuck in blue-screen, host-booting removed people from the game.

Yea bridging gives you a host advantage, but as long as your team is better you should be okay. Numerical rank would just match you with people who are most likely much better then you.

Trey

Why? Cortana is based of Halsey's brain and for Halsey was like a mother.

I never got the mother/son vibe pertaining to Cortana and John. Not even brother and sister or lovers. They stuck me more as peers; friends that knew each other really well through sense of duty and shared experiences. It was very platonic and yet the connection was palpable.

kylej

Banned
I've never played a game of Starcraft in my life, but from what I've read its whole Gold, Diamond, whatever ranking system is pretty good (???). Not sure how similar it is to the current Arena though.

The act of creating new accounts, obtaining the highest Trueskill category, and then selling or giving them to players that did not fit that category was a clear disruption to ranked play, at multiple levels. Every time one of these rank mules (mostly very skilled players in their own right) did this, they knowingly unfairly matched with hundreds of newer and lesser skilled players and that's only with one player doing it one time.

Also, saying that all systems are flawed and therefore we should use a flawed system is an unsound argument, because the premise is false.

Tashi

I've never played a game of Starcraft in my life, but from what I've read its whole Gold, Diamond, whatever ranking system is pretty good (???). Not sure how similar it is to the current Arena though.

It's really good.

It's Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters and then top 200 on server on Grand Masters. The difference is that it's not just win and loss that determines you level. The game knows how good you play the game. Actions per minute and resource management also factor in.

There are a lot of stupid people in the world, but boosters is a place I just can't go intellectually.

So let me get this straight, you will buy, steal, borrow or boost an account so that you can have a number in front of your gamertag, that you know has NO MEANING because you deliberately spent money and time to make it meaningless. And then, on top of that, a level 28 player could come in and dance on your grave.

SMH.
You know what makes it worse? People are still doing it. Right now. As in, I just lost to a booster. In Halo 3. Five years after its release.

Why? Cortana is based of Halsey's brain and for Halsey was like a mother.
Based off it genetically, but it's not the neurons contained the same data. They're very different people with their own set of experiences and values.

They've always seemed more like friends/partners that care about each other to me. Both semi-human, both semi-robotic, both devoted to the UNSC.

Korosenai

The only thing I had a problem with in Halo 3 was host booters.

I recently started playing it again (team doubles), and maybe out of 100 games, I got paired up in one game with some host booters. But then again, it is almost a 5 year old game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's really good.

It's Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters and then top 200 on server on Grand Masters. The difference is that it's not just win and loss that determines you level. The game knows how good you play the game. Actions per minute and resource management also factor in.

Wow, that's nuts. I wonder if there would be any way to implement a smart system like that in Halo 4. Like map control, assists, damage to enemies/team, etc.

Karl2177

XY7FXMW76PIX1300732739015.jpg

Look towards the most competitive game on the market now, and you will be rewarded. There's so many ideas that you can take from Starcraft that are incredibly beneficial, it's absurd to not take them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's really good.

Do this, but make things like k/d (in slayer), wins, assists, etc matter. In objective add flag captures, flag carrier kills, etc matter.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Basically Arena on steroids could manage it.

Yeah, I'm hoping they implement a more in depth "skill check" in the next version much like what SCII has but obviously in Halo form. That would be sick and we would finally have a ranking system that looks at more than just K/D ratio and W/L ratio.

Do this, but make things like k/d (in slayer), wins, assists, etc matter. In objective add flag captures, flag carrier kills, etc matter.

I would also say time near OBJ, time holding OBJ, proximity to OBJ (defense) etc.

Defenders shouldn't get fucked either and all of these things contribute.

1-100. Remove any highest skill indicator. Lose 1 rank every month. You can't BUY a 100 then because it would be gone in a month unless you keep it up. People will just PLAY at their level.

You're welcome 343.

The act of creating new accounts, obtaining the highest Trueskill category, and then selling or giving them to players that did not fit that category was a clear disruption to ranked play, at multiple levels. Every time one of these rank mules (mostly very skilled players in their own right) did this, they knowingly unfairly matched with hundreds of newer and lesser skilled players and that's only with one player doing it one time.

Also, saying that all systems are flawed and therefore we should use a flawed system is an unsound argument, because the premise is false.

But then what do you do in the situation we're in? Have no skill-ranks at all, and follow in Reach's footsteps? I honestly would rather play Halo 2 during the time in which cheaters were running rampant, then have to play another game where the team can beat me 0-50, or I can beat them 50-0.

I really hope if 343 uses reaches system again, they at least have an invisible rank, so I don't get paired with someone and their three guests.

pls 343.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm scared of doing stuff like this because it influences player behavior.

If you make everything that would be considered team play count it shouldn't. I also don't think assists should be there, better if it's overall damage done to the enemy and take into account team damage too (against friendlies).

That would promote team fire even if you don't get assists.

FyreWulff

Yes. In short, what happened is my memory of Forge in Reach and 3 blended together, and I remembered that Halo 3 treats Slayer as symmetrical, because well, it's symmetrical.

So right before handing in the update I undid some things from making the map objectives, where some vehicles had been made to spawn in objective only. I somehow missed in the last pass testing that Blue's vehicles near their spawn did not come in. There was no way for 343 to catch this error since from their perspective it looks like I just tweaked the map materiel spawns around, since the gametype still functions. I just assumed they had been blown up.

Either way, 100% my fuckup, handed them an update, pulled my other map out of the pipeline.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I agree. You'd almost need to put more emphasis on things like "defends" or "enemy flag carrier kills" in a flag game for instance to keep people from betraying you to get a flag capture.

Or make it so if someone betrays the flag carrier they auto-drop a rank.

Make people accountable for their stupid actions.

senador

Banned
I wouldn't mind global Arena ranking, or 1-50 with seasons. Reset every month or every few months. I like that idea a lot actually because then its a more accurate representation of your skill relative to the player base at that moment in time, not some number you one time pushed really hard for. That's not how rankings work in other places in life really, you have to continually prove yourself. Plus, rankings were always meant to show a skill level, not some level you got to.

Yup. There's a reason starcraft has the following it does.

Because it has ranks? Doubtful.

Karl2177

But then what do you do in the situation we're in? Have no skill-ranks at all, and follow in Reach's footsteps? I honestly would rather play Halo 2 during the time in which cheaters were running rampant, then have to play another game where the team can beat me 0-50, or I can beat them 50-0.

I really hope if 343 uses reaches system again, they at least have an invisible rank, so I don't get paired with someone and their three guests.

pls 343.
I highlighted your key word here. You wouldn't actually be playing Halo 2. You'd be looking at a host screen or be dead instantly.

Which is why you have to reward every type of player. That's the first hump and not so hard. The hardest part is keeping griefers from exploiting the system.

daedalius

Look towards the most competitive game on the market now, and you will be rewarded. There's so many ideas that you can take from Starcraft that are incredibly beneficial, it's absurd to not take them.

Something similar to this is what I would like in Halo 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Make a 1-50 rank system with 1 as the "best" and you start at 1 and degrade to 50 the worse you play.

Boom.
Rank should also digress due to player inactivity.
http://us.media1.battle.net/cms/gallery/XY7FXMW76PIX1300732739015.jpg

Explain the ranking system for non SC3 players please.

I wouldn't mind global Arena ranking, or 1-50 with seasons. Reset every month or every few months. I like that idea a lot actually because then its a more accurate representation of your skill relative to the player base at that moment in time, not some number you one time pushed really hard for. That's not how rankings work in other places in life really, you have to continually prove yourself. Plus, rankings were always meant to show a skill level, not some level you got to.

Because it has ranks? Doubtful.

Because your playing with people around your skill, so it allows for competition. Playing games where you get absolutely destroyed, or you absolutely destroy the other team aren't as fun as close matches with people of similar skill. and I would imagine the game is pretty fun as well.

FyreWulff

Well, unless Blizzard patented it, then it's legal survival to not take them :p

Well if K/D and Win/Loss have a high effect on the rank, it sort of influences you to do the other things "properly."
If you die while continuously running and trying to grab the flag, and get maybe 1 capture, all those deaths will weight more negatively upon you than the one capture.

Tashi

Ranks have to reset after a certain amount of time. You need to be able to easily see your previous season ranks and other people's ranks as well. There needs to be a representation of progression over the course of months and months

senador

Banned
Because your playing with people around your skill, so it allows for competition. Playing games where you get absolutely destroyed, or you absolutely destroy the other team aren't as fun as close matches with people of similar skill. and I would imagine the game is pretty fun as well.

That's trueskill or skill matching, not ranking.

Trey

Assist.

Rank should also digress due to player inactivity.

Juices heard you:

1-100. Remove any highest skill indicator. Lose 1 rank every month. You can't BUY a 100 then because it would be gone in a month unless you keep it up. People will just PLAY at their level.

You're welcome 343.

Explain the ranking system for non SC3 players please.

Tashi got ya hookups:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the situation we're in". Reach has experience ranks, and skill ranks. It has many adversarial playlists, all of which use Trueskill to find matches, with varying restrictions on close skill matches.

Top Bottom