• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

I finally finished the extreme tracks in trials last night, just wow. I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the cops I was raging so hard.

As for Halo 4's ranking system, I hope they can find an effective way to adopt the arena system is 1-50 if not to be used. Arena suffered from being confined to one gametype in one playlist, which was clearly unnecessary once it became based on win/loss. Also there was the whole lose your rank every 3 months thing. I feel like arena was a good concept, but it just failed to live up to its purpose due to bad advertising and implementation among other things.

Whatever 343 decides to do, it better be well supported so that it doesn't go down the same path as arena.

Arnie

1-50 DRAMATICALLY increased boosting. Which in turn, decreased its relevance. This is not arguable. That said we are thinking of ways to let players understand relative skill levels without increasing abuse based on that metric.

Was away watching Game of Thrones but this is exactly what I want. I'll be the first to admit that the previous system had flaws, I hated boosting, so I'm not asking for the numbers to return, at least as they are. I hope you also took note of how well received (or not) the Arena system was; instant and understandable feedback based on quantitative team performance is vital. Just in general, a visual based ranking system is imperative in my opinion.

I finish University in a year, if you don't nail it with Halo 4 I'll come on board to fix it for Halo 5.

Wow, reading back through the thread it seems I managed to spark a pretty engaging and positive debate about one of the biggest mysteries still surrounding Halo 4 multiplayer. Whilst the Starcraft system sounds great (imagine weighting things like team shooting, controlling parts of the map, etc) it also sounds like a lot of work, and by the way Frank's engaging the subject (no disrespect intended at all) I don't think such an undertaking could be done this close to launch.

It sounds like the sort of system that's decided upon early in the development cycle and then perfected over a long trial period.

CyReN

It ruins the competitive side of BTB.

but what if we had a unranked social btb and then had a competitive ranked one too?

w5TZK.png

Awesome Ramirez, I hope everything goes well.

I was going to talk about ranking systems and so on, but Ram's post put things in perspective, there are more important things lol.

Hey You

drop in is one of the things halo NEEDS right now

One of the biggest reasons I hardly play BLOPS is because I ALWAYS get put into someones game. I want to start my own game, not join one where my team is getting slaughtered with no chance of recovering.

And now we will be getting it in H4. Lots of faith in 343 atm.

Arnie

I'm in a lobby with a dude who has 233k multiplayer kills and has spend over 100 days of gameplay in Reach.

Yeah.

That's another argument for a visual skill based ranking system; after all that time this clown could be a middle of the road plebeian.

I shouldn't have to join in a game in progress and stick through getting slaughtered just to play a full game. That's bad design.
Well you only have to do it once for the playlist, not for each full game, but I understand you.

But its also bad design to suffer through matches where you're significantly outnumbered. So its a trade-off. At least with drop-in, drop-out when you're getting slaughtered in a match because you're down a man or three help could be on the way. New players can turn the tide of a match as I've witness on many an occasion.

No global ranks.

There is no specific "arena" or "ranked" playlist. You go to the Waypoint website and create a leaderboard, then pick which playlist you want to track. Invite gamertags from there, or people can do a search for it from the in-game leaderboard browser (if you allow it to be searchable).

You can change the privacy settings for the leaderboard you create:
Open (Anyone can join instantly. Anyone can see the ranks.)
Closed (Anyone can request to join but must be approved. Anyone can see the ranks.)
Private (Invite only. Only members can see the ranks.)

The system then assigns the leaderboard members a rank using a 1-50 scale, distributing them according to a bell curve. This rank is determined by your trueskill.

An XBL Gold account can only create one leaderboard, but may be a member of up to three. Your leaderboard memberships have no bearing on how matchmaking works.

There is no limit to how many gamertags a leaderboard can hold. The creator has the ability to kick anyone off. The leaderboard lists your stats for the playlist including K/D, number of games played, win ratio, and date of last game played. This helps the admins see if anyone is being boosted or has stopped playing.

You can set the ranks to reset on a specific time interval (1 month, 2 months, etc.) or decide to reset them manually on your own schedule. This doesn't affect trueskill, but each player will be listed as unranked until they complete the requisite number of games in the selected playlist.

Crazy? Probably. I'm sure there are plenty of holes to poke in it. Just started typing and this is what I came up with. I think I just want clans back.

Tawpgun

I want a ranked slayer and a ranked objective. Actual ranks. They reset every... 3 months? Maybe longer? But you can see users previous ranks.

There just needs to be a system stopping boosters/ second accounts.

In less then 30 days we're gonna know a whole lot about Halo 4's MP and we'll be like, "Oh, that's interesting!" along with "Wow, fuck this shit"

Can't wait
3AQmK.gif

wwm0nkey

Hey if you are rooming with me at PAX PM me your real name. The hotel will can our reservation on 7/20 if I don't have your names.

I am going to keep saying the same thing until they admit it or refute it. Neither has ever happened.

Ron Paul seems to have at least one or two issues for everyone that they agree with (anti-war, anti drug-war). Then he goes off the deep end and loses them with something else (gold standard, property rights which lets people deny services based on ethnicity, female right to choose, etc)

I will say this.. the people who follow him seem to be very motivated.

Uh, back to Halo 4? 7 months is still a long time, last I checked.

Aggrotek

Fuck this shit. Dude complains that I took his GL at the beginning of the game so he proceeds to betray and shoot me until nearly dead the entire fucking game. I betray him once and get booted. Now I'm quit banned from MM. Fucking cunt.

Fuck this shit. Dude complains that I took his GL at the beginning of the game so he proceeds to betray and shoot me until nearly dead the entire fucking game. I betray him once and get booted. Now I'm quit banned from MM. Fucking cunt.

lol quit ban, best idea in reach tbh.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

There really needs to be action based on shooting a teammate. So many time I'll get someone that follows me around and shoots me to pop my shiel and let me die.

Top Bottom