• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

You're surprised that people who didn't like Reach don't like when they hear that Halo 4 builds on what made Reach bad?

Above anything else I am extremely disappointed that 343 decided to let loadouts return (and unlocks on top of that). That's exactly the opposite of what I like in Halo. And so far nearly everything mentioned about Halo 4 has worried in one way or another. I don't think there's a single thing yet that they've announced that actually got me excited to play the multiplayer.

I hate Reach but I'm super excited for Halo 4.
Just because loadouts and armor abilities don't work in Reach, doesn't mean they won't work in H4.
There have been plenty of games where both loadouts/unlocks (rainbow six, cod4) and abilities (shadowrun) have worked excellently for competitive multiplayer.

As long as all the starting weapons are balanced off each other, loadouts could work fantastically.
And if the weapons don't turn out balanced, then everyone will use the OP one and it'll be same old Halo.
But if the loadout changes do actually work, then there will be a awesome new variety to Halo gunplay that we haven't had since H2.

As for Armor Abilities... I'll hold my opinions until we find out what changes have been made to them.

Tawpgun

Team Neutral represent.

Scared about things I've seen and heard. Looks like its departing from what I want.

Hopeful about some returns to form. Speed of the game, no bloom, etc.

Not sure what to think of it yet. There needs to be a beta :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think at this point anyone who's familiar with Halo at all would be "stupid" not to be pessimistic to cautiously optimistic with Halo 4 at this point. It's not like those in HaloGAF that bitch as much as they do don't care and are simply bitching just to bitch. They complain because they care, if that wasn't the case they wouldn't be here at all. The last thing that Halo needs is just circle jerk feed back and "D slurping." And from what I've seen the majority of HaloGAF isn't happy with Reach OR the announcements with Halo 4 at all.

If one of the most adamant "Halo" groups feel like this and are this vocal about their favorite franchise, I'm pretty confident there's a sizable population outside of GAF feeling the same way, aside from the living dead playing mouth breathers.

Devs should be happy when complaining like this happens, even if it's given in a spiteful/joking manner. Because if someone takes the time to complain and consistently complain, it means they are still a fan. And that means they can still make things work.

Karl2177

Apparantly this is more fun during the summer. I've got November 6th off, though. :D

zoo-r-cubs.jpg

bobs is the front one, and gaf is the second one

Loadouts don't really bother me honestly. The whole idea that everyone starts off even isn't true because individual skill is always going to vary between people no matter how tight matchmaking is.
But they still start off even. Everyone is the same when they enter the match, it's what they do with it that sets them apart.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Someone make team t-shirts, asap.

I'd say we should use avatars for each team, but then we'd just have wolf shirts.

feel

I just spent about $2000 ordering parts to build a gaming PC. I feel dizzy.

^ Oh and yeah fuck this Bobs guy or whatever.

Woorloog

Banned
I hate Reach but I'm super excited for Halo 4.
Just because loadouts and armor abilities don't work in Reach, doesn't mean they won't work in H4.
There have been plenty of games where both loadouts/unlocks (rainbow six, cod4) and abilities (shadowrun) have worked excellently for competitive multiplayer.

As long as all the starting weapons are balanced off each other, loadouts could work fantastically.
And if the weapons don't turn out balanced, then everyone will use the OP one and it'll be same old Halo.
But if the loadout changes do actually work, then there will be a awesome new variety to Halo gunplay that we haven't had since H2.

As for Armor Abilities... I'll hold my opinions until we find out what changes have been made to them.

My thoughts exactly. Though i don't hate Reach, merely dislike it as a Halo game, it is a good game, just not a good Halo game. Indeed i think of Reach as "Reach", not Halo: Reach as it would have been were it up to par.
No single aspect of Reach was the reason for it being a weak Halo game, it was the combination of them and mistakes in invidual elements.

And there ain't a single playable game that is as fun to play with a friend online (Halo 3 is in unplayable state, too few people playing it and way too laggy), most games don't allow guests/splitscreen play... Good thing Halo 4 will offer both. It will do, right? If it doesn't, i will really need to reconsidering getting it. Splitscreen playing (with guests, not paying for another Gold profile) is an integral part of Halo for me, a must have.

EDIT Halo 4 is offering a lot of what i want from a Halo, my only (bigger) issues at the moment are instant respawing and armor pieces impacting the game. Perks/Modifications/whatever they're called not so much, visual customization should be just that, visual. Need details of that system soon.

ElRenoRaven

Bungie updated their entrance with Destiny stuff.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=72094319

Oh nice. Hopefully this means the long darkness is soon over. I would die if something appeared at E3. Although I know it won't.

^ Oh and yeah fuck this Bobs guy or whatever.

Welcome to the club. PC gaming really has come into it's own anymore thanks to Steam and other resources like that. There is just something about buying a game, having it install, and stay updated without going through so much bullshit. It helps that it has the features of Live I like such as voice chat, text chat, etc all at the touch of a button and in any game you're running with steam.

Trey

Ball so hard Amazon wants to Prime me.

Sorry.

Re: shogun

I actually liked (loved) Reach and am definitely above the range of pessimistic to cautiously optimistic. I also wanted to see the most fundamental tuning of Halo, outmatched by few here. 343 went in a completely different direction than what I envisioned and I certainly have a few or more issues with certain elements. All the same, I'm beyond hyped and severely doubtful I won't like whatever Halo 4 will be given current information. I still understand and empathize with the more "down" posters, and some good points are certainly raised from that camp. So I don't really agree that I'm (or any like minds are) "stupid," for the reasons outlined above, shogun.

Any specific games you're looking forward to playing it with?

With the specs that money can buy, life.

I just can't deal with the fact that there are instant respawns*. It's just something that's quintessentially not Halo to me.

Just recently started playing Tribes Ascend, and one of the first things that brought a smile to my face was the respawn timer.

I just can't deal with the fact that there are instant respawns*. It's just something that's quintessentially not Halo to me.

Just recently started playing Tribes Ascend, and one of the first things that brought a smile to my face was the respawn timer.
It also has some real deal CTF. It's a pretty refreshing experience all around.

Woorloog

Banned

Indeed.

As for Tribes Ascend, it is a yet another game i'd love to play but i don't have a computer capable of running it. Though i don't know what i'd do if i had such a PC and once MechWarrior Online comes. Two interesting F2P online games... sort of okay with not having a good PC...

Top Bottom