• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Trey

I just can't deal with the fact that there are instant respawns*. It's just something that's quintessentially not Halo to me.

Just recently started playing Tribes Ascend, and one of the first things that brought a smile to my face was the respawn timer.

I've temporarily come to terms with IR because respawn times merely a subset of the actual pillar of definable Halo gameplay, which is map control. I don't think it's fundamentally impossible to remove respawn times without affecting map control, flow, etc. Compensations can be made which can make it palatable to the new system while still being "Halo".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ghal, enjoy it. i went into teaching for 8 weeks of summer a year (not to mention 2 for christmas, 1 for thanksgiving and spring break). makes all the other headaches associated with the profession worth it.

I just can't deal with the fact that there are instant respawns*. It's just something that's quintessentially not Halo to me.

Just recently started playing Tribes Ascend, and one of the first things that brought a smile to my face was the respawn timer.

i have been thinking about instant spawns for team slayer and have realize that im ok with it. I mean how long are re spawn now in reach 5 seconds are those 4 seconds going to completely break the game

i have been thinking about instant spawns for team slayer and have realize that im ok with it. I mean how long are re spawn now in reach 5 seconds are those 4 seconds going to completely break the game
Completely change the pace when combined with Sprint for all?
Yes, I think there's a strong danger of that.
Hell, look at the bloody example GI gave - "You kill a guy, he insta spawns and kills you before your shields recharge" - that's ... not what I want from Halo.

No Stinkles?

bailoutacrccx1.gif

Kidding, just wanted to post that.

daedalius

They'll be too busy watching the sweet kill cam to hit x and respawn again to headshot you from the other side of the map because there are no walls in between you and them.

GhaleonEB

Ghal, enjoy it. i went into teaching for 8 weeks of summer a year (not to mention 2 for christmas, 1 for thanksgiving and spring break). makes all the other headaches associated with the profession worth it.

Yeah, I'm really excited. It didn't fully hit until today.

We get an eight-week paid sabbatical every seven years; I've been here eight and a half, having put it off for timing reasons. On the flip side, maybe only five and half years until the next. w00t!

Also:

Bungie said:
Everyone is making their beds for a studio photo shoot to happen later today.
https://twitter.com/#!/bungietweets/status/200700597945647105

!!!!!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
We should all stand and be counted for Halo 4. For or against?

I'm For
As Confucius once said, “all good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.” You are Gravemind, 343. You’re the poorly animated poop venus flytrap, the Übermensch with a thousand pointless universe references misunderstood by the dirty proles who aren’t worthy enough to judge you.

Your favorite faith quote, "Believe," is one you’ve fallen victim to yourself, if your opinion of Kyle and Letters post are to be taken to heart. In these pitiable confrontations with them you've proven to be the Flood of gaming development, a sore on the industry and a squanderer of your subordinates' time and effort. Through all this, through this self-inflicted PR nightmare, you’ve conquered vast new frontiers of unwarranted hyperbole and desperate pseudo-intellectual grasping. Buy a COD game, change your studio name to 2nd Best, and take up the reins; 2nd Best would eagerly defer to the greatness of Infinity Ward.

What is an appropriate action to take in response to the company which continues to make Halo games? I won't be tolerating a second retconned "ARG," a second call for HaloGAF's closing, or a second "worst subcommunity" insult. You decided to ignore the option for real terms for your pointless perks, so with the majority of previews condemning your magnum opus to mediocrity I'll claim a suitable prize by telling you to get the hell off HaloGAF.

feel

Hell yes. Love building a pc.
Want to break down the specifics? What monitor did you end up getting?
Any specific games you're looking forward to playing it with?
Still undecided on a monitor, it has been a frustrating task trying to choose one that is a nice balance of beautiful IQ and speed/clarity.

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4ghz CPU
Nvidia GTX 680 2GB GPU
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb RAM
Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard
WD Black 1TB harddrive
Crucial M4 128Gb solid state drive
Thermaltake TPG-1200M Power Supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU heatsink
Samsung Bluray Disc Writer
Logitech G9X Mouse
Logitech G510 Keyboard

Plus some other minor accessories I can't remember or not worth mentioning (like the xbox wireless dongle). Will look for a nice case that fits it all on a local store after I get my parts.
Mostly a noob about most of this (first proper jump into PC gaming) but luckily one of my best friends knows a lot about it and is excited about helping and teaching me how put it all together.

Excited about leaving the 2005 30fps subHD console ghetto. Looking forward to playing great games I've missed like Stalker and Amnesia, cool stuff you don't see on consoles because of focus groups like DayZ and of course getting my eyes melt by stuff like the Witcher 2 (have a sealed xbox copy that will have to give away to some friend), Battlefield 3, Crysis2/3 or the new Metro 2033 game. Might get into point and clicks too (Dota2, diablo 3, etc). Just overall very happy of finally being able to experience all the PC gaming benefits like cool unique games, mods or the awesome Steam service.

Possibly. As they are now they are completely too short in Objective. Objective should be hire than normal slayer but Bungie and 343 seem to not understand that. MLG does it a bit better.

In Dubs low respawns can lead to killing loops where you kill one person the other person kills you your teammate kills that person so on and so forth, thats annoying and a really shitty game to play...

Me n some HaloGAF were on Powerhouse the other day we spawned bottom/main ramp side and rushed to rocks, we ended up winning the fight and I dropped down and grabbed rocks I was low health and my shields just started recharging. Meanwhile a guy we just killed spawned main ramp and he tossed a nade through the rockets door it landed in the water and killed me as my shields were recharging...

So, because of how short the respawns were, our team not only had to win one battle but two to get shit done...and the second enemy was in an unknown location just spawning while he had known where we were.

Thats not exactly how it should be in my opinion. That would require possibly looking at map size, player count (which is too high in objective now), and objective timers.

You'd really only get respawn right time right by it being completely different per map/gametype/and playercount. It'd require tuning on the Blizzard level. Something Bungie/343 cannot do.

Letters, what are you doing for sound? Don't forget to get something good in that aspect too. I myself use SwansM12's.

Possibly. As they are now they are completely too short in Objective. Objective should be hire than normal slayer but Bungie and 343 seem to not understand that. MLG does it a bit better.

I'm pretty sure they are the same. 5 seconds for King, and 10 seconds for Flag and Bomb.

Risen

As Confucius once said, “all good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.” You are Gravemind, 343. You’re the poorly animated poop venus flytrap, the Übermensch with a thousand pointless universe references misunderstood by the dirty proles who aren’t worthy enough to judge you.

Your favorite faith quote, "Believe," is one you’ve fallen victim to yourself, if your opinion of Kyle and Letters post are to be taken to heart. In these pitiable confrontations with them you've proven to be the Flood of gaming development, a sore on the industry and a squanderer of your subordinates' time and effort. Through all this, through this self-inflicted PR nightmare, you’ve conquered vast new frontiers of unwarranted hyperbole and desperate pseudo-intellectual grasping. Buy a COD game, change your studio name to 2nd Best, and take up the reins; 2nd Best would eagerly defer to the greatness of Infinity Ward.

What is an appropriate action to take in response to the company which continues to make Halo games? I won't be tolerating a second retconned "ARG," a second call for HaloGAF's closing, or a second "worst subcommunity" insult. You decided to ignore the option for real terms for your pointless perks, so with the majority of previews condemning your magnum opus to mediocrity I'll claim a suitable prize by telling you to get the hell off HaloGAF.

Someone's posting while medicated

Overdoziz

Banned
Excited about leaving the 2005 30fps subHD console ghetto. Looking forward to playing great games I've missed like Stalker and Amnesia, cool stuff you don't see on consoles because of focus groups like DayZ and of course getting my eyes melt by stuff like the Witcher 2 (have a sealed xbox copy that will have to give away to some friend), Battlefield 3, Crysis2/3 or the new Metro 2033 game. Might get into point and clicks too (Dota2, diablo 3, etc). Just overall very happy of finally being able to experience all the PC gaming benefits like cool unique games, mods or the awesome Steam service.
Probably gonna get a proper PC too this summer. With Halo being dead and all it'd probably be a good investment.

Ken

Still undecided on a monitor, it has been a frustrating task trying to choose one that is a nice balance of beautiful IQ and speed/clarity.

Nvidia GTX 680 2GB GPU
WD Black 1TB harddrive
Logitech G9X Mouse
Logitech G510 Keyboard

Plus some other minor accessories I can't remember or not worth mentioning (like the xbox wireless dongle). Will look for a nice case that fits it all on a local store after I get my parts.
Mostly a noob about most of this (first proper jump into PC gaming) but luckily one of my best friends knows a lot about it and is excited about helping and teaching me how put it all together.

Play LoL.

MMOFPS? Aw shit, Huxley is back!

Also, welcome to the master race, Letters! Your specs are just that much better then my own(GTX 560 vs 680 mainly), and this shit can run everything beautifully. You're in for a treat, this PC is my first upgrade since my last big one in '04 to prep for HL2, lol. The difference like night and a glorious day in heaven.

daedalius

umadbro

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Someone's posting while medicated
I took a double dose about 6 minutes ago and went shopping for sleep accoutrmetes.i just had some medium meritals and i am off to behuhuhu the rub hive here two 15 tablets and just pol then and the letter are made of stones and the gray is a grout that twists and turns the letter.

On my way to make the letter the letter t would try to force me to stop entering their mall where the stuff is and the stores put ads o. Your iPad and you can play with them on a screen these big bunnies that got out of order and grew out the glass. Not mean just coming up o. The glass to get organized for the game we were to play,

That's why imposed now on gaf

I'm just glad you got a wired mouse :p.
Good decisions all round though. I went with a 22" LG W2261VP, but that was a few years ago, and you're probably aiming higher.

Must say, look forward to hearing what you think of Amnesia.
Play LoL.
That too.

Honestly, the gameplay footage we've seen so far is the only thing that keeps me sane. It looks smooth, fast paced, and more in-line with pre-Reach Halo. Everything I've heard that sounds sketchy or downright awful is on paper only at this point, except for the short VIP event that Wu was at, and that was with an early build and probably not a good measuring stick to use.

The perks, from what we've been told so far, seem like very minor bonuses, meant to make CoD fans get excited about the game, but not really make any game breaking changes that we might expect from the CoD series. Loadouts and unlocks I can deal with as those become less of an issue over time.

If I could remove one element from the game that I didn't like in Reach (other than bloom obviously), it'd be armor abilities, not even sprint. And that jetpack better not ruin maps. If I could bring back something from a previous Halo game, it would be the return of 4 shot kills. This 5-6 six shot nonsense is downright stupid. I see a clear and linear decline of Halo as each new game increases the kill shot count. Having to press a button 5 times (and often times more) is repetitive, slows the game down, and simply put is a fat chore that has no business being in a fast paced first person shooter. whew! /rant over
Am I team downer?
Posts like these are bringing me down. Stop your bitching!

I just spent about $2000 ordering parts to build a gaming PC. I feel dizzy.

^ Oh and yeah fuck this Bobs guy or whatever.
Sheesh. Your computer is going to be baller. I spent $1700 on mine last year, but that included a $400 monitor.
Membership: Everyone but Bobs.

JK, <3 bobs.
Haha, definitely laughed when I read this. Poor bobs :)

Trey

Jesus fuck, guys. I spent a G on my first build two weeks ago and I thought I broke the bank by a fair margin. You rich bastards are making me look bad. I bet you're all handsome, too.

Plywood is leaning.

feel

Letters, what are you doing for sound? Don't forget to get something good in that aspect too. I myself use SwansM12's.
Nice. I can't have too much of a racket going on at my place so I'll just use normal/cheap speakers hooked up to the motherboard for now. I have the A40s + Mixamp from Astro so I'll figure out what I need to hook these up to the pc to get decent 5.1 audio out of it without annoying anyone.

Nvidia GTX 680 2GB GPU
WD Black 1TB harddrive
Logitech G9X Mouse
Logitech G510 Keyboard

That looks good, looks like an incredible gaming rig. I went with Intel for SSD however.

This is the build I did three weeks ago for silence/budget priority, aiming for $1200 (Not counting the Lynx, which I already had).

Intel i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
Asus P8Z77-LX
Antec P280 (with acoustic padding on the inside)
Antec 550 Earthworks Platinum
GeForce 550 Ti 1GB (For Diablo)
Kingston HyperX 16GB
Lynx L22 for audio
Intel 520 Cherryville 60GB (OEM)
Seagate Constellation 500GB (OEM)
Asus DVD-R (OEM)
Cooler Master GeminII 524 for more cooling (34c idle)

Building your own box is a lot of fun, and you'll get a great deal of satisfaction out of it.

^ I actually hate the building part. Satisfying, sure, but time consuming and stressful. Pressing the power button for the first time is full of anxiety and prayer.
Jesus fuck, guys. I spent a G on my first build two weeks ago and I thought I broke the bank by a fair margin. You rich bastards are making me look bad. I bet you're all handsome, too.

Plywood is leaning.
You getting Diablo 3? We can make an ugly and poor party.

Havok

No one catching my references all up in this bitch.
I would wager that at this point, most people in here weren't up on GAF when Dyackgate went down.

Some silly people even think you're serious.

Like him.

Riveting.

Also, you folks spent a whole hell of a lot on your rigs. I got a bunch of older parts for around 450 earlier this year (this video card was released in 2009) and I can just about max out Battlefield 3 at 50 to 60 frames per second (I turned off their MSAA because it dropped me to 35, and that is unacceptable!). Playing at 720 has its advantages.

Also, folks with Battlefield 3 PC - we should play that. Folks with Battlefield 3 console versions - y'all done fucked up!

daedalius

I would wager that at this point, most people in here weren't up on GAF when Dyackgate went down.

Some silly people even think you're serious.

Like him.

Riveting.

Also, you folks spent a whole hell of a lot on your rigs. I got a bunch of older parts for around 450 earlier this year (this video card was released in 2009) and I can just about max out Battlefield 3 at 50 to 60 frames per second (I turned off their MSAA because it dropped me to 35, and that is unacceptable!). Playing at 720 has its advantages.

Also, folks with Battlefield 3 PC - we should play that.

I didn't think he was serious, but I didn't know what else to say.

Should have linked a gif.

zap

Apparantly this is more fun during the summer. I've got November 6th off, though. :D

LTTP, but that's cool. You'll have a great time. I went there back when I was last in the States, definitely worth going to.

Dude was permabanned from NeoGAF ages ago. Feels like we're being stalked.

I wonder how many people lurk here... between the posters, Waypoint and the Examiner, we're being watched night and day.

Top Bottom