• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

I can't wait for someone to discover a ridiculously overpowered loadout combination.

Then everybody will start using the same loadout and the game will be unplayable.

But at least 343 will fix it 6 or 8 months after if becomes a problem.

6 to 8 months before playlists become "classic" style and play like Halo 2.

I won't ever understand why 343 decided not to do their own thing and introduce new gameplay mechanics that no one has seen. Then maybe it would have it's "own voice."

Still waiting on gameplay footage before I decide on how I feel about the additions.

G17

Progression and a big empasis on armor abilities.. not sure how I feel about that but I'll wait for gameplay videos/release to judge.

I'm not really sure but did Frankie or David not say that they can recreate the original Halo gameplay with their option if it should be necessary? Maybe it was just my imagination. Nah it was.

TheOddOne

I'm not really sure but did Frankie or David not say that they can recreate the original Halo gameplay with their option if it should be necessary? Maybe it was just my imagination. Nah it was.
Brad pretty much says that in the Gameinformer video, everything can be changed in custom games.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Noon what time zone? :)

Don't have any good ideas but I'll try to pump something out, for no other reason than to make everyone else's stuff look good.
Let's say Pacific so noon will have at least come for just about everyone.

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/04/16/the-changes-to-halo-39-s-competitive-multiplayer.aspx

Nothing really new... I'm still not convinced yet.. hopefully this upcoming podcast has real information.
I....

Whatever about anything else, trust is earned. Saying "You're just going to have to trust us" is pretty poor form. We already know that in a sense, we can't exactly touch the game, but don't try and push us off by saying that.

ElRenoRaven

Ugh. First impressions of that video aren't good. Sounds as bad as what was spelled out in the article.

Pretty much. I don't give a shit about MP anymore anyway. With my gold going out first week of May and me not renewing I won't be playing that shit anyway. So for me I'm only worried about Single Player. As long as that's good I'll be ok.

I....

Whatever about anything else, trust is earned. Saying "You're just going to have to trust us" is pretty poor form. We already know that in a sense, we can't exactly touch the game, but don't try and push us off by saying that.

Pretty much. You earn my damn trust first. Not a good first impression for this gentleman.

789shadow

Banned
I....

They wouldn't have to say that if they were certain they weren't shitting it up.

Dax is crying for joy:
XHAbD.png

What is your point?
People would be able to recreate the classic Halo settings and do not have to wait months to play somehow version of it.

heckfu

Banned
I'm not trying to be a 343 apologist at all, but I'm ok with the new GI video. I'm honestly excited to see how they implement all the new stuff!

Tashi

I....

Hi, you don't know me, you don't know my Halo pedigree and I'm also introducing unique elements into your beloved franchise. You're just gonna have to trust me.

Lol

Not saying he can't deliver but I didn't like the trust me part either. But whatever, not sure if there's anything he could have said considering what has been revealed.

I'm not trying to be a 343 apologist at all, but I'm ok with the new GI video. I'm honestly excited to see how they implement all the new stuff!
Yep. I do think 343i knows that Armour Lock was shit, the jetpack was shit too etc. and will not do the same mistakes again. Or I hope they won't.

zap

When he was talking about the features he mentioned split screen would be 4 player local and 2 player online. That's a step back in functionality yet he talks about it like it is being preserved. What gives?

I assumed it was 4 player split for multiplayer, 2 player split for co-op online...?

Otherwise, then definitely a step back.

ElRenoRaven

I think he's commenting on why you guys would even mention it in the video. His words were "we're bringing CTF back" like it's some kind of news.

Are you.. uhh.. bringing Slayer back too?

plzplzplzplzplzplzplzplz

Of course they are but it's been renamed. It shall be called Spartan Slayer. j/k

Fracas

#fuckonami
The fact that in most of these videos the mantra is "you're just gonna have to trust us" and "this is still halo" is a little unsettling. And I really don't like the rock/paper/scissors approach to AAs. Why should someone get a free kill on me just because I didn't pick the right armor ability to combat his/hers?

Still, I'll withhold judgement. A gameplay video's got to come soon, it just has to.

The fact that in most of these videos the mantra is "you're just gonna have to trust us" and "this is still halo" is a little unsettling. And I really don't like the rock/paper/scissors approach to AAs. Why should someone get a free kill on me just because I didn't pick the right armor ability to combat his/hers?

Still, I'll withhold judgement. A gameplay video's got to come soon, it just has to.

"soon" = "E3"? Then I agree

Tashi

I think he's commenting on why you guys would even mention it in the video. His words were "we're bringing CTF back" like it's some kind of news.

plzplzplzplzplzplzplzplz
No shit we know it's coming back but don't underestimate the stupidity of the gaming community. I also think it was a smart move to say that. Introduce a new gametype but also remind fans that the usual Halo gametypes they're used to are still there.

Don't worry, you will be able to recreate the Reach version of loadouts in custom games.

trollface.jpg

plzplzplzplzplzplzplzplz

Yea I was a little confused that they even needed to mention it coming back. Thought games like CTF, Assault, KoTH, etc. were just kind of assumed to be back.

Homeboyd

No shit we know it's coming back but don't underestimate the stupidity of the gaming community. I also think it was a smart move to say that. Introduce a new gametype but also remind fans that the usual Halo gametypes they're used to are still there.
Then why not say that? They typically do that with the other modes "all of the game modes you've come to know and love will be returning..." etc... I think it's just odd to say "we're bringing CTF back" rather than something like "we're bringing back all of the standard gametypes back.." and then talk about improvements/changes.

Karl2177

"You're gonna have to trust us on this one." - words from a Sage old man. At least he had the courtesy to release a beta, even if he didn't change anything for the better from it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
why arent we bitching about the teased changes to ctf? i hear you can pole vault with the flag to speed up gameplay

I'm simply astonished at how gung ho 343 are in bringing armour abilities back. It's quite unbelievable really. Why? AA's made a mess of Reach. They made a mess of Halo in many ways. When the guy in the vid said 'Don't worry, it's still Halo' is Reach now the bar for what Halo is? I've said it before, I can forgive 343 for taking chances with new gameplay additions (the random weapon drops doesn't sound as scary to me as to some around here) but I can't forgive repeating the obvious errors of the previous entries. And let me be clear, Armour Lock and Camo are not the only problem AA's in Reach, they all are, to varying degrees.

I honestly thought we'd see a Halo 3 equipment style pick up system/AA hybrid, not some shitty COD 'progression' system. I doubt even Bungie would've kept armour abilities were they developing Halo 4.

Anyway, two player online only sounds good. No more three guests fucking up trueskill. Anyone note the three grenade types in the top left?

Tashi

Well if you look at the armor abilities announced, they seem very tame. I say the biggest offender is Camo but we still have to see how it's implemented in Halo 4. It will also depend on the maps. I'm sure some AAs will be preferred on some maps vs other maps. I do think it's important to be able to see a player head on and know which armor ability he's got in his back pocket. Maybe a color banded stripe or badge on his armor or something.

Before the Game Informer story, I would have said E3. At this point though, a decent chunk of the community is skeptical. Something needs to surface soon. Just saying "trust us" isn't really enough.

Honestly, who gives a fuck how skeptical there are? They're all gonna watch the videos coming out of E3 and be like "oooh so it's like Halo Day 1 in 343 We Trust fuck CoD lulz". No need to blow their load trying to appease knee-jerk reactions from Halo fanboys and MLG tryhards.

Before the Game Informer story, I would have said E3. At this point though, a decent chunk of the community is skeptical. Something needs to surface soon. Just saying "trust us" isn't really enough.

hopefully sparkcast does a good amount of damage control. really wish there was a large banner in 343's studio that said "If it's not broken, you don't need to fix it"

GhaleonEB

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/04/16/the-changes-to-halo-39-s-competitive-multiplayer.aspx

Nothing really new... I'm still not convinced yet.. hopefully this upcoming podcast has real information.

Without drawing too sharp a judgement, that video really is worrying.

What I really want to hear from 343 is what the over arching philosophy is on armor abilities. What are the boundary conditions that determine their creation and implementation and balancing? There was nothing discussed in this video that distinguishes Halo 4's approach to armor abilities from Reach's, except players now have sprint at all times. Bungie had these same aspirations, the choice of load out being one of give and take, of different abilities offsetting one another. And then we run into a pack of team armor lock or team camo and reach for the eject button.

Tashi

Then why not say that? They typically do that with the other modes "all of the game modes you've come to know and love will be returning..." etc... I think it's just odd to say "we're bringing CTF back" rather than something like "we're bringing back all of the standard gametypes back.." and then talk about improvements/changes.
Maybe he did. Maybe it got cut from the video. Maybe there are stuff theyre not ready to talk about yet. Also, what are the usual gametypes we're used to?

I got, CTF, Slayer, assault and king of the hill.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

We're a new team. We're making changes. You can't try them yourselves yet. There is no other way to state it. We can't guarantee you'll like the changes, but we can state unambiguously that we think you'll like them, because most of these changes are things we would be (naturally) afraid of on paper, but found they worked great when implemented, so we're in a lot of ways, similar to you guys in terms of expectations, but with the comparative luxury of having tried and experienced them.. Ergo we have to politely request trust and keep feeding more and more information. And we have to ask for trust. If in the end, you decide it's not fun, or not the game for you, that request will still have been a polite request for patience while we roll out information. You don't have to trust us, but we still have to ask. It's manners.

Video and gameplay will go a long way to making people's minds up, and that will happen, but right now, all we have to work with is that.

Havok

Late to the party, but that video was somewhat less than soothing.

Also, last time a Halo developer tried to "speed up" an objective gametype, we ended up with instant arm Assault. So I'm a little wary of that, and then all the things that everybody has already flipped out over. I certainly hope that every game of Halo 4 doesn't wind up playing like a Super Slayer turd because of the new focus on these fun, gamechanging abilities they seem so keen on pushing. The "we've been playtesting these for a long time to make sure none of them are too powerful" line doesn't work anymore. We've heard it before, and it was flat out not true then, so it's difficult to take that on faith now.

Overdoziz

Banned
Well if you look at the armor abilities announced, they seem very tame. I say the biggest offender is Camo but we still have to see how it's implemented in Halo 4. It will also depend on the maps. I'm sure some AAs will be preferred on some maps vs other maps. I do think it's important to be able to see a player head on and know which armor ability he's got in his back pocket. Maybe a color banded stripe or badge on his armor or something.
There's still the problem of everyone in each team spawning with them. On their own AAs aren't that bad (even in Reach) but with everyone spawning with them it becomes extremely annoying. I've said it numerous times already, had they put them on the maps as pick-ups it would've solved so, so many problems. But no, they decide to make the same mistake Bungie did with Reach.

There's still the problem of everyone in each team spawning with them. On their own AAs aren't that bad (even in Reach) but with everyone spawning with them it becomes extremely annoying. I've said it numerous times already, had they put them on the maps as pick-ups it would've solved so, so many problems. But no, they decide to make the same mistake Bungie did with Reach.

What you didn't like the full teams of armor lock or jet packs?

Without drawing too sharp a judgement, that video really is worrying.

What I really want to hear from 343 is what the over arching philosophy is on armor abilities. What are the boundary conditions that determine their creation and implementation and balancing? There was nothing discussed in this video that distinguishes Halo 4's approach to armor abilities from Reach's, except players now have sprint at all times. Bungie had these same aspirations, the choice of load out being one of give and take, of different abilities offsetting one another. And then we run into a pack of team armor lock or team camo and reach for the eject button.
To be fair with my experience, I hardly ever encounter a team using one ability.

Top Bottom