• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we find out what specializations are? Those are the "perks" right? Unless I missed it, I don't think 343 announced what specializations are in the limited edition, correct?

heckfu

Banned
Also, holy shit, being a pharmacist and not a student pharmacist is the PITS. I'm swamped right now and being on GAF seemed like a good refuge.

Sai will appreciate that I'm listening to Madeon remixes to calm down.

And to stay on topic, I'm really stinkin jazzed to see the new videos today, regardless of PV or not.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Okay finally catching a glimpse of these videos at work, without sound, and by the gods...Haven has to be one of the finest looking/playing Halo maps of all-time. Holy fucking crap.

Just, wow.

I also don't have any issues with Adrift. Looks like Countdown had a baby with Orbital. Not my favorite, but no complaints.

Havok

does anyone use the sniper in these vids..?
Doesn't look like it. A shame, it sounded like they made some significant adjustments to it.

Really loving how the scoreboard lets you know Score to Win. Not knowing how many flags to capture or points to score on something like 3 Flag or Flag Slayer is super annoying. Progress bar score counters are great, too.

BigShow36

Since everyone gets on my case about my one-off comments, here's my "diplomatic" critique.

PROS

• The Look
    From what I've seen, the graphics appear crisp and detailed without being obnoxious or overbearing. A lot of information is being presented without being terribly intrusive. While I personally don't think the indicators are necessary at all, at least they are done elegantly.
  • The UI
    Aside from a few minor scrupples (the Ordinance Drops in particular), everything appears to placed and sized so as to be informative without taking up too much screen real-estate. There are a few quirks that will be changed for release (like the secondary not showing up), but everything else appears to be done tastefully.
  • The Maps
    Many people seem to think the maps look too big, but I think that's due to lack of familiarity at this point. Adrift appears to be roughly equivalent to Countdown, and Haven seems to have a great flow to it with many different angles a good player can use. I especially like how there appears to be many alternate/sneaky routes for the discerning eye.
  • The Weapons
    There appears to be a good variety of weapons for players to choose from. Hopefully this will lead to a great diversity of playing styles as players become more proficient with their weapon of choice. However, there is the obvious danger of unbalanced weapons with such an expansive and overlapping sandbox.

CONS
  • The Look
    I praised the art direction and UI in the "pro" section, but the ridiculous white text is simply too much and deserves its own special mention. Not only does the text appear right in the middle of the screen, complete with "feel good" points in tow, it also highlights every stupid action the player makes. Its insulting in it's uselessness, appearing only as a pat on the back for simply playing, and wholey unnecessary.
  • The Movement Speed
    While I applaud the fact that the movement speed appears to be slightly greater than Halo Reach's, I still feel it needs a large increase. Strafing is a massively important component of balancing a game, and it needs a buff as well. Everything is just too slow at this point.
  • The Kill Speed
    Similar to my complaint above, the kill-speed is too slow on most weapons. The problem with slow kill-speeds on the utility weapons is that it nerfs the effectivenss of individuals, leads to an overreliance on team shooting and makes power weapons nearly unstopable. Everything except the utility weapons seem to have reasonable kill-times; I'd love to see the utility weapons beefed up to be on par with the rest of the sandbox.

The Unknowns
  • Aim Assist
    The amount of aim assist that is "good" is really dependent on how effective the strafe is. Just from my initial impressions, it still looks like its too easy for players to land shots. However, I can't know for sure until I actually get my hands on the game, but right now it still appears to be too high.
  • Customization
    I'd imaging that customization options will be on par with past offerings. However, a few good options can really solve almost every complaint a player like me would have. Movement Acceleration (strafe) and Damage options would literally solve 90% of my issues. Only time will tell what options we actually get, but at the very least I'd like to have the movement option be tied to strafe, so increasing movement speed doesn't lead to ice-skating.
  • Matchmaking
    The correct matchmaking options can also solve a lot of problems. Hopefully we get some lists with gameplay more in-line with past Halo experiences. I'd also love a 1v1 playlist with good settings (no, an indicator above the leaders head in a 1v1 is not a good setting).
  • The Perks
    I'm not a huge fan of the Loadouts, but at least they appear to be less instrusive than Reach's at this point. I really don't see them adding any value to the game that couldn't be solved in better ways, but only time will tell how they actually play out. I can't say how much the extra specializations will add or detract, but right now they don't appear to be something I would want to have in my settings.

FyreWulff

Not necessarily. It's their first time playing the game. It'll probably be nerfed some though.

It needs to be balanced like Perfect Dark's X-Ray vision. Sharper fallout in the view distance while you're using it. Right now it just seems to be a super-contrast mode with X-Ray abilities.

JonCha

Watched all the vids, PV is my only concern. Too big a distance, and lasts for too long. It covers everything you can see!

And re white text, I think the complaining is bullshit. Watching the videos I forgot it was there - it was a white noise, basically.

Vire

Man, all this awesome footage makes me wish I got to see Longbow and Cauldron in this form.

Damn the wait is painful.

Going to rent Metroid Prime tomorrow. I have to play it again. Thanks goes to Halo 4. Hope Dolphine works on my PC.

Good man.

CyReN

The movie? How so? It's getting very mixed reviews. There's no way it can be overrated.

Anyway, despite whatever I think about what I'm seeing, I'm loving the amount of gameplay footage I'm seeing. So great.

There's a lot of questions remaining and motives by some characters, and some of the actors aren't that great. It's a pretty good movie but I wouldn't see it again anytime soon.

-only thing that really really bothers me is promethean vision. there are no drawbacks whatsoever.

-wish movement speed was beefed slightly. not sure if its the FOV though.

-really wish BR was 4 shot

gameplay doesn't really seem that much faster than reach...maybe it's me? maybe had to do with map size? the maps seem more like 5v5

Kuroyume

Banned
So many people seem to dislike the white text in the middle of the screen. They really should reconsider having that in the final game. Replace it with a chirp of some sort the way Killzone does.

Also, please allow for us to stream music from the game in multiplayer. I want this so badly.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Going to rent Metroid Prime tomorrow. I have to play it again. Thanks goes to Halo 4. Hope Dolphine works on my PC.
I thought Metroid Prime Trilogy was a lot easier and cheaper to find in Europe? I'd go with that. The Wiimote controls are much better. Well, better if you find the increased amount of control to not be overpowered for some of MP1's boss battles.

Here's something interesting to consider. Will the white text be present in other game modes which may NOT be based off of the points scoring system?

Within the points structure in Infinity Slayer I think you DO need to be informed of what kind of kill you scored, as the different style of kill is worth a different amount of points. Now, putting this in the middle of the screen is both informative and problematic. I don't think it was 343's intention to just put it there as an ego stroke, a la COD. I think it has purpose in the grand scheme of informing players of what they're being awarded points for in a scalable scoring scenario.

Now let's come up with better way to do that:

I thought Metroid Prime Trilogy was a lot easier and cheaper to find in Europe? I'd go with that. The Wiimote controls are much better. Well, better if you find the increased amount of control to not be overpowered for some of MP1's boss battles.
It is. But why should I buy the game if my brother has a copy? =) (Actually it is my copy. It's just at his place)

Fuchsdh

Here's something interesting to consider. Will the white text be present in other game modes which may NOT be based off of the points scoring system?

Within the points structure in Infinity Slayer I think you DO need to be informed of what kind of kill you scored, as the different style of kill is worth a different amount of points. Now, putting this in the middle of the screen is both informative and problematic. I don't think it was 343's intention to just put it there as an ego stroke, a la COD. I think it has purpose in the grand scheme of informing players of what they're being awarded points for in a scalable scoring scenario.

That's a valid point, although I think the only thing you really need to know from a visual standpoint is your point value--as others have pointed out style kills get you medals and you get the announcer to tell you as well.

Just lose the redundant text.

Ryaaan14

Banned
No, resist the feelings inside you. Don't succumb to the text, Ryaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

This is why I don't mind it; How many times have you just lobbed a grenade down the hall that you completely had no faith in, and you get an unexpected kill. One of your teammates goes, thanks bro! And you're like, the fuck? Now you'll be instantly aware of any of your actions without having to watch the feed in the corner.

These sort of things will make it useful as hell.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It is. But why should I buy the game if my brother has a copy? =) (Actually it is my copy. It's just at his place)
Good man. Best free game I ever scored. I hope to finally sit down get a Bluetooth dongle and set up Dolphin on my PC one day, so I can experience the three without having my eyes burned by jaggies. I'm happy 343i is taking up Retro's torch and bringing us lush alien worlds in first person.

I think if they just did what Reach did and have +100(or whatever the number you earn is) in the bottom left corner it would be ok.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I...I think I like the center of the screen text now...

...this feeling is weird.
I've gotten used to it, but I don't like it. It's pointless and messy, but at least it doesn't distract me any more!

Edit : Not only is the HUD messy, but so are the medals and announcements. It's just way way way too much. I don't need an announcer to yell at me to let me know I picked up the Overshield. The assassination announcement bugs me, too, but at least it helps make you feel like a bad ass a little bit.

There was something else I wanted to comment on, too... OH YEAH, I'm not worried about not being able to pick up grenades off of bodies anymore. The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with that decision.

Medals did this in the past halo kills and it worked just fine. I don't see why you would need a big ugly white text, a medal and the announcer tell you what you just did. You can't tell me you wouldn't understand why your action added 5 points to the score when you get a medal for it.

I think if they just did what Reach did and have +100(or whatever the number you earn is) in the bottom left corner it would be ok.

Yes, I don't think players (even new ones) need to be hit over the head with it until the end of time as it seems we will be. Perhaps it can go away once you level up a bit.

Who knows if this is even part of the intention anyway, though it seem like the most logical explanation? Playing a game of classic slayer with the 1-50 points system would have zero need for such feedback. The medals and announcer would definitely suffice.

Medals did this in the past halo kills and it worked just fine. I don't see why you would need a big ugly white text, a medal and the announcer tell you what you just did. You can't tell me you wouldn't understand why your action added 5 points to the score when you get a medal for it.

I think it's to remove the mystery of it, "WTF! I just blained that guy and only got 5 points!"
ASSIST (/fix'd)

I'm not advocating it personally.

It had the same thing in the non-infinity slayer gametype that was demoed. It will be there for all game types I'm sure, it's a part of the investment system, and that obviously needs to be uniform across gametypes.

I dont mind the text, but I do think the medals look off. Almost like they are low res with inverted colors or something. Kinda wish the medals popped a bit more as well.

Also, the announcer says things kinda weirdly now. =P

CyReN

• Graphics look amazing, shocked at how much you guys are getting out for a old system.
  • Music in game, wasn’t expecting it but I like it a lot.
  • Love the Carbine, glad it’s back.
  • DMR looks powerful, will be the go–to gun.
  • Didn’t notice X to respawn
  • Like the new Carnage Report page
  • Didn’t see fall damage in gameplay, like that a lot.
  • Really like the loadout page, it will add a lot of depth for players and their playstyles.
  • Maps look good and creative.
  • Sprint seems fluid and smooth from gameplay. (and from impressions)
  • Scoring system for Infinity Slayer (makes sense, and glad to see being rewarded for plays in game)

Dislikes/Would like see altered
  • Weapon Damage indicator – Maybe it’s old school me talking, but I don’t like the advantage it gives players when turning and directly telling people were they got shot from.
  • BR/DMR at 5 Shot – I always felt that 5 is too much, 4 was the sweet spot. We live in gaming age now that the most popular games are pretty much quick kills. If not please give us the options to tweak individual weapons instead of overall weapon damage.
  • Text on screen doesn’t bother me, but for those out there not liking it, it would be great to have a toggle option for it.
  • Medals – Would like to see a little less bright colors, they remind me of sweet tarts candy.

-----
Over all I'm still very excited to play, hope to see more mp footage in the coming month before Pax hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom