• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the videos i've seen of people using it it looks pretty damn killer up close. AR too. i think most decent halo players are just accustomed to using the precision weapons and didnt give it much time.

Your going to trust this guy?

I can't really say myself, I haven't seen enough of it to comment.

I wasn't really passing an opinion on the weapon, I just thought it was an interesting parallel.

heres a thought:

what if carrying the flag is no longer default? it just goes on your back like in cod, which removes flag juggling..

:(
No because Flag Carriers get the Beatdown satisfaction. Like the first ever Flag Beatdown against a Banshee after being grav-lifted towards it in H3.

Gui_PT

I hope that 343 take to heart the criticism on bumper jumper. I think that having grenades on X and not armor abilities is not ideal in most circumstances and I'm almost positive I'm echoing everyone else's sentiments so far on the issue.

I'm sure they are, as Frankie just said... kinda

Grenades on X would just be impossible to use

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I used it almost exclusively for a full game of Regicide and didn't care for it. It seems just like the Repeater, complete with similar 'ow-my-armored-hand-is-hot' overheat animation.

but it doesnt have the same major drawback of the repeater, the slow projectiles...

i guess you did PLAY the game ;)

not saying cod invented it. just something that comes to mind in more recent things ive played.
Well either way, I'd be totally okay with it. You simply cannot depend on randoms in MM to cover you in CTF so not being helpless while actually going for the objective would be a welcome change.

Vire

Well either way, I'd be totally okay with it. You simply cannot depend on randoms in MM to cover you in CTF so not being helpless while actually going for the objective would be a welcome change.

Flag in one hand, shitty pistol in the other only. Or just do what Halo 1 PC did and allow the flag carrier to go into the Banshee. GREAT IDEA GUYZ.

(I think it should stay the way it has always been)

I hope the flag is still carried 'as a weapon' as opposed to on the back, that honestly would be kinda weird if they up and changed that.. Plus, I still want to see a flag based assassination.

The guns dominate Halo 4 gameplay. Kills were FAST. I mean like kids were sprinting towards me with the swords and I could take them out with the BR before they got to me. That's unthinkable in Reach. Felt more like H2 than any other Halo.

Played for about 3 hours on and off. The first map I played was Adrift, 8 player Regicide. It was interesting to to always know where the guy in first place was. It was fun when I was king actually. You get quite a rush when you know that EVERYONE is coming towards you at that very instant. Quite a "back to the wall" feeling. It's a good fun gametype. It's still essentially FFA though, the gimmick doesn't destroy the game.

Guns
BR - feels a little hard to control at first, this thing will take a while to master. But when it works, its glorious.
Carbine - much more precise than the halo 3 version, something I hated about the H3 version was that its spread was huuuge. This time it's got Minimal spread. fun to shoot
DMR - the thing is a beast at long range. It will lose to a BR close up though.
Scattershot - felt like a silenced weapon from battlefield. fun to get kills with. big spread so its only worthwhile close up.
AR - the thing is a beast at close range.
magnum - straight up garbage. good for single headshots I guess.

Armor Abilities's - they didn't dominate gameplay like Reach's AA's do.
hardlight shield seemed pointless. Some guys used it against me and I beat them every time. not to mention they are very vulnerable.
jump thruster - It doesn't seem to go very far or fast at all.
pro vision - I probably used it about once every 5 respawns. it's good to see if some guy is camping with a sword around the corner or if he's sprinting away to teammates. Didn't feel very OP at all. It's essentially babbys first radar.

Game is good. My first impressions with Reach were "Grenades suck, bloom sucks, AA's are overpowered." Impressions with 4 were, "gunplay is good, I want more." My friend rev3rb, who longs for the days of H2 and hates reach with a passion, couldn't get enough. He never liked the Reach Beta and now he has high talk of h4.

Awesome read, thansk for the impressions! Man, Im dying to get a chance to play this game..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
play firefight on legendary for 500 kills and you should have it down.

I always play Firefight or Campaign while learning a different control sheme. You can also play matchmaking, you will learn it fast.

Yes, but stay in Anniversary so you don't have to use AA's. It's worth it to learn.

Either go play campaign, firefight, or multi-team. It's worth it.

May try it out. I remember doing it once but getting frustrated at getting owned because I couldn't wrap my mind around it quick enough. I'll do some Firefight tonight.

Overdoziz

Banned
May try it out. I remember doing it once but getting frustrated at getting owned because I couldn't wrap my mind around it quick enough. I'll do some Firefight tonight.
I remember going back to Halo 2 and having to press A to jump, I felt so handicapped.
Really glad Anniversary had Bumper Jumper, made the game a lot more enjoyable for me.

but it doesnt have the same major drawback of the repeater, the slow projectiles...

i guess you did PLAY the game ;)
One thing I will say, the gun fired super fast. There just didn't seem to be any real power behind it besides the shield-stripping.

One more thing: THANK YOU FRANKIE for allowing me to take part in that event. I can't tell you how much fun I had, I only wish that it was longer than three hours. :)

neoism

bumper jumper
X sprint for lef
A reload
Y switch
B melee
LT GRENADE
RT KILL
RB AA this is really the best way I hate not having melee on rb, but at least if an aa needs a button held down I can use it... I can use jet-pack now..(lol)
LB JUMP

please frankie

bumper jumper
X sprint for lef
A reload
Y switch
B melee
LT GRENADE
RT KILL
RB AA this is really the best way I hate not having melee on rb, but at least if an aa needs a button held down I can use it... I can use jet-pack now..(lol)
LB JUMP

please frankie

You read my mind you sick bastard. :p

Risen

It depends. It's always depended. But let's revisit this once Halo 4 ships; I have a feeling it will be a topic of discussion.

This may sound odd to you, or crazy to some of my competitive compatriots... but I truly hope the AR is significantly stronger in H4 at a given range. I want it to dominate at close range and fall off sharply at mid to long range. I think that makes for valid inclusion into the sandbox.

For highly skilled players in Reach, H3 and H2 - one would simply never want it as a primary.

Vire

Have they mentioned if Campaign Scoring is back?

This may sound odd to you, or crazy to some of my competitive compatriots... but I truly hope the AR is significantly stronger in H4 at a given range. I want it to dominate at close range and fall off sharply at mid to long range. I think that makes for valid inclusion into the sandbox.

For highly skilled players in Reach, H3 and H2 - one would simply never want it as a primary.
Well the AR wasn't in H2...

SMG+Magnum bro.

Hey guys, i just found out that i might not have internet at my house for a week. Im Posting this from my phone. So i wont be able to play any halo for a while. I hope this does not affect my tournament game, i dont know when the next one will be. Anyway, this sucks but i can still browse gaf... so its not all bad.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
bumper jumper
X sprint for lef
A reload
Y switch
B melee
LT GRENADE
RT KILL
LB JUMP

please frankie

YES

Akai__

bumper jumper
X sprint for lef
A reload
Y switch
B melee
LT GRENADE
RT KILL
LB JUMP

please frankie

Sounds not good for me. I used jetpack in Reach maybe 10 times and having an other AA on RB wouldn't fit my playstyle.

Just keep Bumper Jumper like Halo 3's and Reach. Hell I would even love to crouch on LS again, but Sprint is okay, too.

We wouldn't have this discussion, if 343i decided to put button mapping in. I know they said it's a problem, because of button glitches.
Maybe next gen will have this feature.

---

Nobody comentated about the boat, that has been deleted in Halo 3. :( Are here not people which wanted to see a boat in Halo? I think it would be a lot of fun in a working BTB map.

Myyke just told me he will be using the fish stick control, melee on right stick? I shudder.

Anyone who's played with him, will know why.

Overdoziz

Banned

You're delirious. If the weapon actually took a bit of skill to use (i.e. the Needler) making it stronger would be fine. As it is right now it's just too easy to use for it to be any stronger.

GhaleonEB

Nope, I agree. I want the AR to be strong within its intended role.

I don't think we need to go further with the discussion, but to clarify, I was not arguing as using it as a primary. I only ever used it as a secondary, because it's ideal range was too short. Selectively deployed I had success with it, but the people using it while getting demolished by BRs (or DMRs) don't understand it's role (or more correctly, range).

op_ivy

in prep for 4, i made the switch back to bumper jumper after having used it extensively in 3 but not at all in reach. i had always assumed that BJ would interfere with the AAs and wouldnt be worth that as a trade-off. i experimented with different AAs early on in reach (like a week) before settling into sprint 100% of the time, but still made the assumption that taking my thumb off the right stick to "aim" my sprint would too difficult and would impact my game far more then not being able to jump and melee as accurately.

well, after one match of firefight to adjust, i see the error of my ways. i never really realized sprint was a toggle after all these years, so taking control away from the right stick to engage it is only a small issue. bunny hopping everywhere and having full control over melee feels soooo fucking good. the only issue i'm having, and halogaf will love this, is training myself fro the sprint + melee combo and double melee. will probably also be troublesome for a while with sprinting sword/hammer.

Conor 419

Banned
Is the AR actually a beast at close range though?

I wonder what they could do to the gun to make it better. A secondary feature, a larger magazine or increased damage?

Gui_PT

Don't listen to these guys, Frankie!

The whole point of Bumper Jumper is to be able to jump and melee at the same time. Or jumping and meleeing while being able to move your reticle around or scoping/unscoping

Don't frankie doooooooooooooooooooon't

Edit: Armor Ability on X, sprint on LS. There you go, problem fixed

I hope that 343 take to heart the criticism on bumper jumper. I think that having grenades on X and not armor abilities is not ideal in most circumstances and I'm almost positive I'm echoing everyone else's sentiments so far on the issue.
Yes.
Or no?

op_ivy

I hope the flag is still carried 'as a weapon' as opposed to on the back, that honestly would be kinda weird if they up and changed that.. Plus, I still want to see a flag based assassination.

i keep seeing this mentioned, is there any reason to think that its changed, or are people just speculating?

Risen

You're delirious. If the weapon actually took a bit of skill to use (i.e. the Needler) making it stronger would be fine. As it is right now it's just too easy to use for it to be any stronger.

As it is now... it's worthless lol.

It worked in CE... the philosophy since has rendered it nearly completely ineffective except to fill a role as a low-skilled friendly weapon. If the power is bumped way up, and range cut off, it will have an actual role at all skill ranges as a primary... and as a secondary.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The Spartan should stab the flag directly into the enemies visor and you hear a loud glass shattering sound. You would of course have to pick up the flag again, but it'd be cool!

Talents

Banned
So should I try bumper jumper tonight?

and go -300 while learning

When I first started to try and learn bumper jumper on H3, I played matchmaking, the problem was that when I would go for a beat down on someone, I would just reload right in front of them, looking like an idiot.

bumper jumper
X sprint for lef
A reload
Y switch
B melee
LT GRENADE
RT KILL
LB JUMP

please frankie

I'd say:
X Sprint
A Armour Ability
Y Switch
RB Melee
LT Grenade
RT Shoot
B Reload
LB Jump
Directional Pad Switch Grenades