• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I liked that map. Camping the 30 second (?) laser spawn and blowing up random's vehicles for 15 minutes straight:

MZEnp.png

Did I ever tell you....

Is it actually gone from matchmaking?

No it's there. Apparently it disappears if I'm in the party though.

Oh, I almost got it while searching alone one time, but the randoms all voted for Slayer Hemm because they hate themselves.

FyreWulff

I also seem to never be able to play the community Infection variants people people will vote for the exploitable broken vanilla map variants that are still in there for some reason over the fixed up community variants.

Why yes, I'd love to play Boardwalk instead of Deadwalk and try to knock humans off the top of the lightpoles. SO MUCH FUN

IHaveIce

Banned
I also seem to never be able to play the community Infection variants people people will vote for the exploitable broken vanilla map variants that are still in there for some reason over the fixed up community variants.

Oh I wanted to tell you I played your Infection map on Uncaged.

Everyone camped Sniper spawn.

And if you are in the party Cragmire won't show up? I need you as a perma-party member.

jokes I won't come back for Reach I think except for customs

Yes.

Also standoff gets the brunt of it, but the spawning on rats nest is atrocious.

Highlight was, me and big box disarming the bomb with a second left on last resort.

Or that particular game in general.
Yeah the last resort game was pretty cool.
And agree on Rats nest, you can stand on the side and they spawn directly in front of you, so you can kill them.

Its for the greater good though I love the fast MM times Reach provides, then I love sitting in objective games 5v2 for 12 minutes. Its a hoot!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm the only person ever who really doesn't like High Ground.

Still better than almost all the Reach maps, tho.

FyreWulff

Oh I wanted to tell you I played your Infection map on Uncaged.

Everyone camped Sniper spawn.

And before the update they camped the corner tower. At least on sniper spawn the zombies can jump on top of the roof and attack from above. In the corner tower the humans had the ability to basically shoot at the entire map. At sniper spawn they have a pretty limited view.

There will always be camping spots, you just have to make it so the best spot is also not near-impenetrable. That was the purpose behind the community Infection variants. The super grinder of matchmaking will always find the optimal spot within a week or two.

Overdoziz

Banned
How many quitters did you get today?
Not that many. Every time on Sword Base we would get a small lead and drop the ball in the middle of the map and kill them as they were running towards it. It gave them a small slimmer of hope through-out the match so hardly any quit. Objective Holding 2.0

Ryaaan14

Banned
Camping with shotty inside the shelter and crapping on unsuspecting victims dropping down the trapdoor was about High Ground's only redeeming factor.

Oh and Ninjabomb. :_3

Not as many as you'd think. Mostly early on, then the wape train turned on. We had kids not leave the spawn trap on zealot. It was gross.

Not that many. Every time on Sword Base we would get a small lead and drop the ball in the middle of the map and kill them as they were running towards it. It gave them a small slimmer of hope through-out the match so hardly any quit. Objective Holding 2.0

I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by this, in regard to the quitters.

Released

I think I'm the only person ever who really doesn't like High Ground.

Still better than almost all the Reach maps, tho.

You aren't the only one.

I really only played it in slayer playlists though. I'm sure it's better for 1-sided objective, but I hated it for TS.

Well anyway, this is my ideal button makeup.

LB Sprint
RB AA
X Reload
B Melee
A Jump
Y Switch Weapon
Lstick Move (push to crouch)
Rstick Look (push to zoom)
D-pad (any direction) Switch nade
Ltrigger Throw nade
Rtrigger Shoot

Agreed.

Ship it.

Frankles plz!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I too like to melee and be able to melee at the same time. :)

I knew what you meant.

I thought Recon was RB to reload?

Well anyway, this is my ideal button makeup.

LB Sprint
RB AA
X Reload
B Melee
A Jump
Y Switch Weapon
Lstick Move (push to crouch)
Rstick Look (push to zoom)
D-pad (any direction) Switch nade
Ltrigger Throw nade
Rtrigger Shoot

Nope. Fail for jump on A. Everyone knows bumper jumper setup is best.

Slurpers use Recon

This remark, and your whole conversation with Ryaaan14, is interesting to me, and pretty much on the button for the stuff I'm writing my dissertation about. I think in terms of 'transparency', there are a few interrelated issues, and I'd be curious to see how you, or anyone else, feels about them.

The first is to what extent, if any, 343 owe us any sort of explanation or justification of their choices. From the point of view of a developer, there's often a nice dovetail in explaining and marketing, right? In many ways any sort of reveal of a feature or game mechanics is also a happy advertisement for the game, which serves to grow sales. In people like Frankie or David, of course, we are fortunate to have authentic fans who authentically enjoy these games and authentically enjoy talking about them -- which is good for all stakeholders, including Frankie and David -- but is this something they are actually obliged to do for their community? If you put their involvement along a spectrum with other developers, they're pretty far toward 'maximum' already. Now, you can draw a distinction between their involvement here and what they're allowed to say (in accordance with the dictates of Microsoft), and demand that the latter be more expansive, but that's trying to upend the traditional marketing paradigm for a franchise like this, for a product like this.

It's interesting that you mentioned League of Legends, because that's an indie-ish PC success, and that's a platform where these sort of demands are more expected and more accommodated than the traditionally closed console space. That's changing as consoles become more PC-like, of course, but it's still a slow transition under a goliath and highly protective platform-holder like Microsoft.

I think with LoL, or Starcraft, there's also a stronger understanding on the part of all stakeholders that these are games in a very classical sense -- they have rules that need to be available and transparent to players, and these are even shaped by those players because as games depend on players for their very existence. On this view, held by some developers and publishers (the biggest of whom would be Valve and Blizzard), multiplayer videogames are constituted by the people who play them; there would literally be no game if the game were not played. Others still hold to a very traditional understanding: they create the game in an ivory development tower, they disseminate said game to an audience that should feel lucky to receive it, and then they walk away and count the cash. Now, there's obviously a tension and a balance between these views, and it shifts back and forth across time and across companies and across products, but the way these issues are being hashed out right now within the Halo community -- especially in the aftermath of Reach, which is widely understood, at least among the 'hardcore', to have been a 'failure' in some respects -- is fascinating to me.

Short version: I'm increasingly curious where people within HaloGAF stand on the idea that developers owe them anything, least of all an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that we're more towards the "we make the game, at least the multiplayer portion of it, by the very act of our purchasing and playing it, so tell us how you are going to curate it and cater to us", and I think the good faith of people like Frankie and David helps to smooth over the fact that Microsoft, and probably plenty of people within 343, feel strongly that the license is theirs, the game is theirs, and our 'rights' as a receptive community extend only as far as the point of sale; every moment of community interaction is only and solely another kind of marketing.
You always know how to make me smile with nerdy satisfaction Shake, (and I'm really happy that an MM discussion happened at all).

Do I believe 343I owe us? Not exactly but more about what I believe is the right thing to do to foster community faith and make a loyal one. I believe that they should carry out their own vision. But I believe that they
a) want to be competitive when it comes to Community Management
b) recognise a range of benefits
c) purely desire to uphold/extend the Bungie Community Management/Interaction model

So when I say they should outlined their matchmaking .. thought process and team, I say really as advice / as a request for what I believe would be good for the game and for their image (assuming they have good plans).
Generally I find people are more accepting of faults the more transparent the situation, which I feel is evident even in 343I's handling of Reach, where there is no real visibility of the decision making process forcing people to be hung up on and continue to question things like SS for months after the change.

As for the closed MS console vs PC, I don't believe that's an acceptable stance in a world with so many competing distractions. It's not "my problem" that they have to surmount this, it's on them and their overlords to surmount this, I'm paying them €80 (and Gold, which deserves discussion on how it affects the playerbase itself). We'll continue to ask/demand the best from them.

Caja 117

GG guys. Glorious, actually,

Halo 3 is still king.

Glorious indeed, afternoons like these makes me wonder why do i even bother to keep playing reach. And to think right now, all my friends are having one big LAN of Halo 3 and I cant be there... :( .

Connection in Halo 3 was stable most of the time, Spread wasn't bad at all, equipment were hardly noticeable, IMO this is better than DMR with Bloom, slow moving spartans, Nuke nades and Armor lock.

IHaveIce

Banned
Glorious indeed, afternoons like these makes me wonder why do i even bother to keep playing reach. And to think right now, all my friends are having one big LAN of Halo 3 and I cant be there... :( .

Connection in Halo 3 was stable most of the time, Spread wasn't bad at all, equipment were hardly noticeable, IMO this is better than DMR with Bloom, slow moving spartans, Nuke nades and Armor lock.

Only the Regeneration Power up is really annoying I think, I'm worried that it is coming back as an AA in Halo 4

CyReN

For those that like THC this is our temporary home until we get things figured out. We've tried switching servers but the problem continues with the attack as they follow us over to the new hosts, even if they are more secured. We've tried blocking out their IP's and did 200 over 10 minutes but the problem continues. If anybody has ideas we are all ears. Most of us our college guys doing this as a side project for fun and it just sucks the work we've done can be tarnished now. This has been a shitty week.

I <3 you all.

Swarmerr

Halo 3 customs...?

Yeah for sure, I don't have many custom gametypes and etc but I would be down to play whatever anyone else is up to.

Edit: Alright sounds good we just gotta get some more people, I might have a couple people on my friend list. Anyone else from halogaf down?

Ps how do you edit in quotes like you just did talents??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom