• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*zooms in*

*shakes camera wildly*

There's not a single well staged or filmed action scene in all of Batman Begins.

To be fair, he has gotten a lot better. The action in The Dark Knight and Inception is much better shot than in Batman Begins.

I still absolutely love his films despite him not being the greatest director of action scenes. I guess part of it for me is that the substance of his films is great, so I can easily overlook some of the faults like that. His action scenes are all wildly over-cut.

Speaking of Halo books, I'm stuck at about half way through Cryptum, I try to read it again, read a few paragraphs and put it down. Just isn't grabbing me.

FyreWulff

Ouch. One of the main reasons I search in a party.

And I just don't get heavies settings. Yes, add some more vehicles and some more anti vehicle weapons but why do they need to have 30 second respawns? They just don't...

Some of those maps would be really good under normal settings and objective games.

It's heavies. Weapons and vehicles come back faster. Otherwise it'd be Heavies-until-everyone-blows-up then waiting 3 minutes for everything to respawn while everyone plays not-Heavies.

None of the heavy vehicles on Cragmire spawn faster than a minute to a minute 30 though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So what would the possible implications of master chief being the didact be?

Besides the absolute mindfuck - who would be the enemy?

I watched Batman Begins with the kids for the first time last week, and we're doing The Dark Knight tomorrow. Will probably hit The Dark Knight Rises in a week or so, to space them out.

Despite enjoying the first two films, I'm not really hyped for it, at all. The plot/premise just don't interest me, and I'm weary of Nolan's style. Dude can't film an action scene to save his life.

You'll be glad after you watch that movie that you're going into it with low expectations.

I'll admit BB wasn't the shining moment in the trilogy

100% disagree with this statement.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's heavies. Weapons and vehicles come back faster. Otherwise it'd be Heavies-until-everyone-blows-up then waiting 3 minutes for everything to respawn while everyone plays not-Heavies.

None of the heavy vehicles on Cragmire spawn faster than a minute to a minute 30 though.

Not everyone gets into a vehicle and dies 30 seconds later...

wwm0nkey

Well due to the whole Geas thing it is very possible John could have memories of the Didact, the current one not the Ur-Didact.

Then again due to the Geas system and how Cortana was made it is also possible Cortana was made from the Librarian's memories inside of Halsey's brain which could be used as an excuse on how she hasnt gone full rampant yet.

Me and a buddy of mine came to this conclusion. What Greg Bear has been hinting Silentium having 2 Didacts.
"While in a cryptum, a promethean is pretty much unconcious. And in Bornstellar's words "I'm only Bornstellar in my dreams" Possible that while he is in his cryptum he is living his life through Bornstellar. And let's say something happens to Bornstellar... say a halo array kills him. Where will the Didact's conciousness go? Back home. I think we just made a new theory my friend."
What're your opinions to this GAF?

m23

Tried playing Reach today. First 2 matches on Prisoner.....next match against people who had no idea what to do.....following match teammate quits.....last match black screen throughout the match.

Fuchsdh

The idea of some of the more "mystical" elements from Bear's trilogy coming into the "present" (game) story are interesting and terrifying in equal measure.

If they wanted to do it well, it's have to be very carefully done to avoid feeling like a contrivance.

DopeyFish

Me and a buddy of mine came to this conclusion. What Greg Bear has been hinting Silentium having 2 Didacts.
"While in a cryptum, a promethean is pretty much unconcious. And in Bornstellar's words "I'm only Bornstellar in my dreams" Possible that while he is in his cryptum he is living his life through Bornstellar. And let's say something happens to Bornstellar... say a halo array kills him. Where will the Didact's conciousness go? Back home. I think we just made a new theory my friend."
What're your opinions to this GAF?

Ur-Didact not killed on prophet planet... Re-enters cryptum for unknown reasons? (That is if that's really him in the cryptum

Bornstellar Didact killed, transferred to Master Chief eventually?

Fuck this stuff is just so out there lol

B wzy

Neo Member
If Chief's luck were due to a Geas, does that mean that the other Spartan II's that were selected for their genectic make-up also contain traces of forerunners?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Someone in the buy sell trade thread is looking for Anniversary if one you guys has an extra copy you're looking to sell.

TCKaos

Looks good. Is this also going to be eBay'd for charity?

Also: just watched that MLG photoshop contest video. Thanks MLG, you're the classiest. Dumping on a fan base that helped make you what you are now. Could some other organization just take over competitive gaming in the US please?

We need to really have a system like EVO. Regional tournament victories result in national tournament invitations. Commentators like and understand the games and community and are often players or devs. Many of the events are streamed for free.

I bought a fightstick, UMvC3 and SSFIV:AE because of EVO 2011. I want to see that same energy at FPS events. You just don't get it with MLG, or at least I don't. I've honestly tried, but I never like the commentators and don't feel invested in any teams. You don't get EVO moments like Daigo's parry chain at MLG events.

GhaleonEB

WHY WOULD YOU HESITATE TO DO WHAT YOU'VE ALREADY DONE?
I went through all of Halo 2 and Halo 3 hoping for that line to be explained. :(

It's a good thing I don't read or watch these critiques, because I would never have noticed any of this. Was just an awesomely fun bit of movie for me.

I like that bit because while I'm only lightly educated on the language of cinema (that one college film studies class), I often see scenes that feel 'off' for reasons I can't quite articulate. That sequence is one of them - much of Nolan's work is similar in that regard - and that piece helped me understand why.

DopeyFish

I am shocked at the – what? How did you...

Huh?

343 guilty spark
is a human

He only says master chief is forerunner, never human.

343 guilty spark says the chief is the child of his makers... From guilty sparks point of view, his two makers are didact (for making him a monitor) and the librarian - this could mean didact is imprinted on master chief (which librarian does)

Says "why would you hesitate to do what you've already done?"

Also "Last time, you asked me, if it was my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the ring." <--- this links master chief to 343 to some time... But it needs explanation

Only 2 known people pre halo fired a halo ring. Didact is one of them

DeadNames

Banned
Well... I go away for a couple weeks and we're on page 350 or so.

Am I the only one who can't play Reach solo? Whenever I'm with a buddy, I do so much better and get less frustrated.

Booshka

We need to really have a system like EVO. Regional tournament victories result in national tournament invitations. Commentators like and understand the games and community and are often players or devs. Many of the events are streamed for free.

I bought a fightstick, UMvC3 and SSFIV:AE because of EVO 2011. I want to see that same energy at FPS events. You just don't get it with MLG, or at least I don't. I've honestly tried, but I never like the commentators and don't feel invested in any teams. You don't get EVO moments like Daigo's parry chain at MLG events.

Maybe not in an individual sense, but go back and watch some of the Oddball comebacks in Halo 2 in MLG and it has the same heart pumping intensity and adrenaline that Daigo's famous vid has.

wwm0nkey

343 guilty spark is a human

343 guilty spark says the chief is the child of his makers... From guilty sparks point of view, his two makers are didact (for making him a monitor) and the librarian

Also "Last time, you asked me, if it was my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the ring." <--- this links master chief to 343 to some time... But it needs explanation

And you may or may not have blown several peoples minds.

343 guilty spark says the chief is the child of his makers... From guilty sparks point of view, his two makers are didact (for making him a monitor) and the librarian - this could mean didact is imprinted on master chief (which librarian does)

Martin_ODonnell.jpg

Fuchsdh

I went through all of Halo 2 and Halo 3 hoping for that line to be explained. :(

I like that bit because while I'm only lightly educated on the language of cinema (that one college film studies class), I often see scenes that feel 'off' for reasons I can't quite articulate. That sequence is one of them - much of Nolan's work is similar in that regard - and that piece helped me understand why.

Definitely agree. I think the reason we often have stupid internet "I like this /stfu noob you don't know anything" is that many people can tell when something is "off" with what they're watching, but not why.

On that scene, however, the most idiotic part is that the truck only blocks one side of an empty road. Why can the convoy not loop around the opposite lanes and go around the obstruction without heading onto the lower expressway?

GHALEONEB mega post.

You just spoiled a pretty big twist for Primordium. :/

Edit: And people have quoted it.

343 guilty spark says the chief is the child of his makers... From guilty sparks point of view, his two makers are didact (for making him a monitor) and the librarian
This was said when Bungie's original intention was for Humans to be Forerunners; the same race. As that no longer applies, neither are these statements to be taken literally.

I think you're putting the horse before the carriage here. It isn't clear if by "you" he means specifically the Master Chief.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I fucking loved The Dark Knight Rises so much. I don't know if I'd put it higher than TDK, but it was DAMN GOOD.

Nolan is fantastic when it comes to creating a serious movie with an excellent plot as well as choosing the right actors for each role.

I downplayed Anne Hathaway being in the movie, as Catwoman no less, but she fucking delivered.

But Tom Hardy as Bane was the highlight for me. Just like I enjoyed every moment that Heath Ledger had screen time as the Joker, I felt exactly the same way with Tom Hardy as Bane.

My favorite scene had to be THAT ONE SCENE that's in the middle of the movie that has no music playing in the background. That scene blew my fucking mind.

Gray Man

Banned
GHALEONEB mega post.

This was said when Bungie's original intention was for Humans to be Forerunners; the same race. As that no longer applies, neither are these statements to be taken literally.

I think you're putting the horse before the carriage here. It isn't clear if by "you" he means specifically the Master Chief.

I always wondered after playing Halo 1 if the humans were the forerunners, it makes sense now that you mention it, what changed?

Also do you guys like my new avatar?

Edit- I don't understand why that white background shows up, I saved it as a .png... and why does it show up so small? Please help a junior noob :(

DopeyFish

GHALEONEB mega post.

Oops, edited.

Well, they still have to make everything line up. This way it lines up perfectly. Though I still think continuity is potentially broken in halo 2 (concerning the mining facility)

Well... He was having a conversation with the chief at that exact moment.

I always wondered after playing Halo 1 if the humans were the forerunners, it makes sense now that you mention it, what changed?

Also do you guys like my new avatar?

Edit- I don't understand why that white background shows up, I saved it as a .png... and why does it show up so small? Please help a junior noob :(

Somewhere along the lines, the story was changed in that the Forerunners and Humans were a different race. It's revealed in Cryptum I think, that there's a war going on between Ancient Humans (as in pre-Halo activation Humans) and Forerunner. Those lines in Halo 1 were said before this change was in effect.

Don't take anything I just wrote as the whole story.

Vire

The current incarnation of humans actually turning out to be forerunners makes no sense. This directly contradicts the whole Human-Forerunner war history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom