• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I will complete the campaign in about 6 hours on Legendary Solo the day I get the game...

Anytime a Dev claims 'X' hour campaign, take about 40% off it and you get an accurate campaign length.

Campaign lengths are hard to predict. When we made an RPG, I estimated the length of the game to be somewhere around 15hours. Some people finished it in 7 and some took 40+. So many variables at play.

Wait, did i see somewhere that Halo 4 will have a groups feature?
If so, why don't we make a HaloGAF Group when it comes out?

Yes, the quote is "create, manage and track groups". I'm hoping it's a new take on a clan system.

Any chance a junior can get in on that HaloGAF group?

That's right I so mad at Weiss and the other douchebag still.
Benioff is great, Weiss is the lesser of those two from what I hear.
I freaked out more than you did. Ask Yuhas lol

Haha

You had to know they were going to change that though, GOT S2 spoils
The books endless prophecies in that scene would have been serious WTF in the TV format. The show version makes some sense as it's the warlock showing her two visions, the cold emptiness of the Iron Throne or being with her family if she stays in the HOTU. Wasn't a big deal to me, the real crime was the butcher job of Jon's S2 arc in the second half of the season. Also, was quite upset at the show avoiding anything about Robb fighting a war when he's supposed to kicking serious ass and laying the perfect trap for Tywin.

I will complete the campaign in about 6 hours on Legendary Solo the day I get the game...

Anytime a Dev claims 'X' hour campaign, take about 40% off it and you get an accurate campaign length.

For you, and maybe for me too, but for the vast majority of Halo players? I think the dev claim regarding campaign time is accurate for first timers/casual players.

Halo 3 was the first Halo campaign that I played start-to-finish and it took me just about the 10 hours that Bungie claimed it would. I was taking my sweet time during that play-through and since then I've played "10 hour campaigns" in under 8 hours just about every time--but I don't feel cheated when I do.

Does someone want to explain to me how cancer can go from remission, to "cured", back again. Then over the course of less than a week you hear 3 months life expectancy, then 3 weeks, then death occurs less than 4 days later. I would really like to know. PM please.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Does someone want to explain to me how cancer can go from remission, to "cured", back again. Then over the course of less than a week you hear 3 months life expectancy, then 3 weeks, then death occurs less than 4 days later. I would really like to know. PM please.
Oh, God.

I'm so sorry, man.

Gray Man

Banned

My condolences, I hope things turn out for the better.

Sorry to hear that man.. :\

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Aghh sorry for you loss man

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My mom's health is rapidly declining, so perhaps I can sympathize somewhat. From my experience, there's no good answer. It seems like a mix of chance, poor health choices on my mom's part, and incompetency on the part of my mom's doctors.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's good that you're reaching out. Definitely seek support where ever you can find it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

My condolences.

Unfortunately, that is why Cancer is so bad. It's unpredictable.

Kuroyume

Banned
Am I missing something? I thought they handled it incredibly well for a TV show.

Or is this a case of "book purists, lol"?

They replaced what was in the book with something totally different. Something much weaker. Visions of the past and future replaced with an illusion.

:( Sorry to hear that bro. Cancers a fucking awful disease.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sorry to shit up the thread like this. It's just getting news like this while alone at work, just needed anyone to talk to :/

I'm so sorry. That's what we're here for though.

wyc7q.gif

Be well. <3

Yeah, that disease is very unpredictable, sorry for your loss.

Que dios la tenga en su gloria.

Ramirez

They replaced what was in the book with something totally different. Something much weaker. Visions of the past and future replaced with an illusion.

They changed a ton of stuff in S2 from the books, doesn't mean it still didn't work well for the show. I don't watch the show expecting a 1:1 copy of the book, I see it as its own thing, and it's been incredible thus far.

Hey HaloGAF: I finally finished my solo Legendary run of ODST.

Some stats from the last mission:

Number of rocket launchers given to AI teammates: 2
Number of times I thought about throwing a sticky at the Engineer but didn't: 12+
Number of times I cursed Buck's name in a fit of rage: 789
Shadow
Number of times I jumped out of the Gauss hog and fired a rocket at it: 3
Number of times that helped to calm me down: 0

That was Bungie's 4th Halo game and, even though the last mission depends on the AI to shoot a vehicle's gun, they still couldn't program the game so that it would fucking work. Thanks guys. Maybe you could leave the AI gunners out of Destiny huh? And AI drivers while we are at it.

Buck made up for it during the Firefight waves at the end of the mission though.

Ramirez

Hey HaloGAF: I finally finished my solo Legendary run of ODST.

Some stats from the last mission:

Number of rocket launchers given to AI teammates: 2
Number of times I thought about throwing a sticky at the Engineer but didn't: 12+
Number of times I cursed Buck's name in a fit of rage: 789
Shadow
Number of times I jumped out of the Gauss hog and fired a rocket at it: 3
Number of times that helped to calm me down: 0

That was Bungie's 4th Halo game and, even though the last mission depends on the AI to shoot a vehicle's gun, they still couldn't program the game so that it would fucking work. Thanks guys. Maybe you could leave the AI gunners out of Destiny huh? And AI drivers while we are at it.

Buck made up for it during the Firefight waves at the end of the mission though.

Wasn't there an article prior to Reach's launch where they proclaimed the AI for driving/shooting had been fixed? Was just as terrible as the other games...

Havok

Wasn't there an article prior to Reach's launch where they proclaimed the AI for driving/shooting had been fixed? Was just as terrible as the other games...
They initially talked about how the AI was "overpowered" with the turret in the then-current build and they needed to be toned down for the final release. Then they talked about how they fixed the AI's understanding of all four Warthog's tires being able to steer and how it would make them much better as a result.

Then we get a game where they're still useless both on the turret (shoot the Revenant, not the Grunt, you dumbass) and behind the wheel, maybe more useless than they've ever been.

I'm slapping this under tags, but there's not actual big time GOT/ASOIAF spoilers in it
I absolutely love that scene in the book, but I knew that they were going to do something completely different on the TV show. A series of past and future scenes, some past ones involving characters that aren't developed much on the TV show and many of those future ones which are still parts of theories of all unanswered questions several books later. They had to do something different for the show, it would have been an scene that made little sense in the show. The illusions were much more directly involved with Dany as a character and thus made a lot more sense to do for the show.

Sorry for your loss slt Poison. :/

Those of you who want button combos back are free to jump in the river.
But I can swim. :p

Wasn't there an article prior to Reach's launch they proclaimed the AI for driving/shooting had been fixed? Was just as terrible as the other games...

That level contained the two elements of Halo campaigns that weaken the narrative experience for me: stupid AI teammates AND inexplicably immortal teammates.

If you can't make the AI smarter then at least give them some kind of evade-style move so that I don't watch Buck get stuck 3 times in a row--each time standing there yelling "get it off me" while each grenade explodes on him--then continue to fight as if nothing had happened.

I thought that was about Reach; IIRC, it was tweeted by the AI programmer.

I hope the friendly AI and implementation in Halo 4 is really overhauled, or we get to spend most of the game fighting alone; in Reach and ODST allies are as often as not a steep liability.

Favorite moment from tonight: I patiently wait for one of the "highway gates" to open, spot a banshee diving at us and pull out onto the highway a little so that Buck can take a few shots at it. He chooses not to, you know, just because, and instead we get Bansheet-on.

Restart from last checkpoint. Roll onto the highway, this time Buck sees the banshee and starts firing. Misses two shots at what amounts to a close-range target THAT IS FLYING STRAIGHT AT HIM WHILE HE IS NOT MOVING. We then get Bansheeted.

Restart from last checkpoint. Roll onto the highway, jump out of the hog, throw a plasma at Buck then fire my rocket launcher at the hog killing myself.

GhaleonEB

They initially talked about how the AI was "overpowered" with the turret in the current build and they needed to be toned down for the final release. Then they talked about how they fixed the AI's understanding of all four Warthog's tires being able to steer and how it would make them much better as a result.

Then we get a game where they're still useless both on the turret (shoot the Revenant, not the Grunt, you dumbass) and behind the wheel, maybe more useless than they've ever been.

I hope the friendly AI and implementation in Halo 4 is really overhauled, or we get to spend most of the game fighting alone; in Reach and ODST allies are as often as not a steep liability.

Havok

It was about Reach, I was just elaborating on Ram's post.

Bungie always used to talk so much about making the player feel like the hero and so they had to make friendly AI less effective, but boy, I'd take a little less player fellating if it meant that I never wanted to murder the entire UNSC Marine Corps via shouting unspeakable insults at my TV ever again.

malfcn

I originally didn't like Halo at all. But then I was a gamer, but never had the means to get into a genre too much. I didn't get to play or experience much.

My first experience with Halo was awful: that floaty jump, and terrible AI either driving in circles to death, or not shooting anything. I got over the jumping physics, but that friendly AI just never got better..

Lucky I got into Halo just before Reach. I had acquired CE and Halo 2 from a friend and played through them. I still don't get what it is all about, maybe if I had been on board since the beginning. Had fun with Reach for awhile. Then all my friends stopped playing. They were much better than me, so without them I drifted away too. (Always been more of a Gears fan).

Bungie always used to talk so much about making the player feel like the hero and so they had to make friendly AI less effective, but boy, I'd take a little less player fellating if it meant that I never wanted to murder the entire UNSC Marine Corps via shouting unspeakable insults at my TV ever again.

Further, if they want to make the player feel like a hero: don't make the player a glorified taxi driver for an inept AI companion.

Hopefully the next generation consoles will enable Halo AI that works correctly and sheer enemy numbers over bullet sponges on legendary etc.

This bothers me too. Especially when it comes to things like Reach's Shade turrets on Legendary. They go from challenging and cool looking on Heroic, to absolutely silly on Legendary. Make the game harder by replacing grunts with skirmishers, rocket launchers with ARs, and Gauss hogs with regular hogs. That way I'm playing by the same rules but on a different field.

I've found the AI to be better on lower difficulty. Although point taken when driving with an AI gunner for a whole/part of a mission design. They should damned well shoot right.

I've also got issue with the legendary bullet sponges. If my enemies weapon kills me in two plasma shots I expect it to do similar damage when I pick it up off their dead body.

Hopefully the next generation consoles will enable Halo AI that works correctly and sheer enemy numbers over bullet sponges on legendary etc.

I would like to thank the makers of Amnesia: The Dark Descent for being extremely clever at one point during my stream tonight. It took everything in my rational brain to take over my body and not instinctively
hit that fake fucking cockroach on my screen with my actual hand as it crawled around and hissed at me

It might not have been obvious on stream, but inside I was simultaneously freaking out / giving props to the devs. Oh well. Off to bed now; let's see how well this goes...

sorry about your loss man.

Sounds like you may have a medical malpractice suit on your hands...

I would suggest contacting an attorney....

Thermite

I would like to thank the makers of Amnesia: The Dark Descent for being extremely clever at one point during my stream tonight. It took everything in my rational brain to take over my body and not instinctively
hit that fake fucking cockroach on my screen with my actual hand as it crawled around and hissed at me

It might not have been obvious on stream, but inside I was simultaneously freaking out / giving props to the devs. Oh well. Off to bed now; let's see how well this goes...

wat

GhaleonEB

Agree.

I actually found the AI in Halo 2 to be pretty good; I don't recall them causing many problems, outside of vehicle AI. But with Reach and ODST, they created sections of the game where we were either totally dependent on them (ODST's end run) or couldn't get away from them (Reach's invincible, incompetent Noble Team).

So long as they are disposable and sparsely used, I think they're fine. Marines in Halo 1/2/3 were not used too heavily and were decent in their intended role. But don't surround us with invincible guys we can't get away from, or have to rely on. That hasn't worked out so well.

heckfu

Banned
No. I have worked on dozens of medical cases from infections to the negligent installation of fake prosthesis.

9 times out of 10, it's negligence, not just an accident.

I would suggest to him to grieve, but eventually seek consultation from an attorney.

It's cancer. That's LITERALLY how cancer works...it comes back. That's the nature of the disease.

Im really sorry for your loss, cancer really is a terrible thing :(

It's cancer. That's LITERALLY how cancer works...it comes back. That's the nature of the disease.

Sure, but being told that the person has gone from remission, to cured, and in less then over a course of a week being told that you have 3 months to live, then 3 weeks, and then death occurs 4 days later?

Sounds to me like there was a fuck up somewhere.

My condolences slt, cancer is monstrous :(
Agree.

I actually found the AI in Halo 2 to be pretty good; I don't recall them causing many problems, outside of vehicle AI. But with Reach and ODST, they created sections of the game where we were either totally dependent on them (ODST's end run) or couldn't get away from them (Reach's invincible, incompetent Noble Team).

So long as they are disposable and sparsely used, I think they're fine. Marines in Halo 1/2/3 were not used too heavily and were decent in their intended role. But don't surround us with invincible guys we can't get away from, or have to rely on. That hasn't worked out so well.
It was especially damning in Reach, considering Noble Team were a crux of the game and practically onmipresent.
God that aspect was such a let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom