• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
KyleJ because hes one of the only ones who says what he thinks about Halo 4?? Wtf is everyone elses opinion then? Fuck that

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey Karl, can you post/pm me any schedule updates you have? IDK if you posted any in this thread, I saw what you put in the tourney thread.

zap

I was mostly confused about the "Reach looks old and outdated" part. I don't care about the UI unless it is difficult to navigate. It still looks easy to understand and easy to follow. Active Roster still exists in the form of a button(that I totes called on HaloGAF Radio). It's not like the clusterfuck of MW2/MW3 where certain things are in Barracks and other shit that doesn't make sense(although War Games and Spec Ops are starting to ring a bell here).

Ah, sorry i agree with you, I meant to address my question to the person you were quoting. My bad :/

Ryaaan14

Banned
The number one thing that bugs me about the UI is the fact that I will probably be tilting my head to the side for a while to read who's in my lobby. Seems like too much style over substance.

k I'm already tired of complaining about one single thing.

TheOddOne

The number one thing that bugs me about the UI is the fact that I will probably be tilting my head to the side for a while to read who's in my lobby. Seems like too much style over substance.

k I'm already tired of complaining about one single thing.
Crazy cat lady has a point, also BTB lobby is going to look awkward.

Ok, Dyke-stopper.
okwiththis.png

But the 'active roster' requires a button press ala Halo 2 right? Does that not impede the 'butteriness' when sending invites and checking friends? Adding another step to it would seem to make it less smooth. Serious question.

ill take halo 2's system. i loved halo 2, and nostalgia feels good man

Gotta agree with this, from a visual aesthetic standpoint the UI looks cluttered and messy. Im a big fan of the UI in Halo 2 and 3 and while i dont mind the Reach UI i preferred the blue from previous games.

I really seen no need to update the UI. It might be alot better when we use it and its probably not finalized yet and i don't really like to shit on other peoples work but I hope it gets a less bulky more streamlined overhaul before launch.

Its not game breaking but still

It is all change for the sake of change. I'm all "if it ain't broke...". That said, all of the previous lobby UIs were great and I felt like each iteration improved upon the other by making it more intuitive to use.

That said, like you I preferred the blue to the grey.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I'm not hard to please at all. Previous Halos had the right direction, just needed clean up or to utilize wasted space. This current version though? Why is something like start game huge? What's the design decision there?
Sure it might not be as good as reach UI in your opinion. But would you enjoy the game less if its still functional? All Im saying is try it before saying you dont like it, cause you never know you might enjoy it :p

IHaveIce

Banned
god I hope I can play it before launch, hope the Email from the Gamescom guys is correct :(

Till now nothing else in Europe has been confirmed for Halo4 hands on right?

IT LOOKS SO GOOD :((

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Forgot about ODST UI. They did a similar player card type read-out but vertical, maybe the H4 players could be a card, but a vertical list on the right that expands when highlighted.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wish there was a Halo event in flyover country (STL or at least Chicago).

Sucks being in the center of the nation. I wish I could move back to Seattle.

Here's what I'd like from a UI without the hysterics:

Clear menu of who is in my lobby (which previous games had and was fine)
Drop down for game type
Drop down for map
A list like Halo 2 that exhibits certain game choices (type of assault, ctf, weapon starts)

I don't know why start game is taking up that much real estate or why there is a row of friends when a column to the right was simple and easy for every single previous game. Or why there are huge icons that don't supply us with any information. And I certainly don't want to press a damn button just to see who's in my room.

Akai__

good I hope I can play it before launch, hope the Email from the Gamescom guys is correct :(

Till now nothing else in Europe has been confirmed for Halo4 hands on right?

I don't know if EuroExpo has been confirmed to habe Halo 4, so yeah, nothing I think.

heckfu

Banned
Need quick help. If money isn't an issue should I get a MacBook pro with or without retina display? Save the smartass windows vs PC debate, just need some honest Mac opinion.

Karl2177

Wellllll too much bold for me to read.
I don't like many of these juniors. Just gonna say it's gonna take quite a bit to make me appreciate them.

Hey Karl, can you post/pm me any schedule updates you have? IDK if you posted any in this thread, I saw what you put in the tourney thread.
Yeah. I'll post my next week's schedule in the tourney thread.When do they have to be played by again?

Ah, sorry i agree with you, I meant to address my question to the person you were quoting. My bad :/
np. Addressing your butteriness comment on the previous page, there's hardly a difference between moving the stick right and pressing X.

How can a UI with 4 items be more cluttered?

Gametype, map, start and friends. That's all you need to see. All the more in-depth options people will sometimes use are hidden away somewhat. That's some good Nielson shit right there :p

Havok

Forgot about ODST UI. They did a similar player card type read-out but vertical, maybe the H4 players could be a card, but a vertical list on the right that expands when highlighted.
There were also way fewer players in a given ODST lobby. 16 players in that overlapping card lobby seems like it would be a giant pain in the ass to navigate. A vertical expanding list is just the Reach lobby, which is fine.

I just think it looks like a UI designed for Kinect.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Need quick help. If money isn't an issue should I get a MacBook pro with or without retina display? Save the smartass windows vs PC debate, just need some honest Mac opinion.

If money wasn't an issue? Then the retina one. Its more new.

ODST could get away with it because the maximum lobby size was four.

I'm not sure how the Halo 4 lobby will look with sixteen players...

Based on Iphone experience only Retina display is not a huge leap. Its nice sure but id say with good certainty that a macbook will have a decent display either way.

Are you really in the market for a macbook or just against shopping around for a viable laptop?

zap

Sure it might not be as good as reach UI in your opinion. But would you enjoy the game less if its still functional? All Im saying is try it before saying you dont like it, cause you never know you might enjoy it :p

Yes. I spend a lot I time in the lobby considering, If it isn't as easy to use, it will frustrate me.

It's not preorder cancelled type deal, but when there was an excellent example they could have kept with, I don't know why they would use their precious resources on making the UI worse :/

Karl2177

I wish there was a Halo event in flyover country (STL or at least Chicago).

Sucks being in the center of the nation. I wish I could move back to Seattle.

I know that feel man. Doubt any Halo events are happening in Kentucky, haha.
If there's ever a Halo event in Chicago, I will personally pick up any Iowa HaloGaffer and go.

End of Wednesday.

Thanks.

Yeah, I really hate that OddOne guy.
He thinks he's sooooo cool using Ken's avatar like that and stuff.

Finished the Forge video. I'm not a Forger – at least, I've tried to be, but it's not something I like to spend a whole lot of time doing. 343 seems to have made the mode even easier to use and make the learning curve even smaller from Reach's iteration. That's all good.

On to the Longbow games.

heckfu

Banned
Based on Iphone experience only Retina display is not a huge leap. Its nice sure but id say with good certainty that a macbook will have a decent display either way.

Are you really in the market for a macbook or just against shopping around for a viable laptop?
Long time Mac user looking to upgrade. About to walk in the Apple store and pull the trigger, only issue is 512gb retina vs 1tb storage with the non retina.

He's the only one who say's bad stuff about the game directly to the makers, E.G. Frank/Ellis.

Oh and Over.

You forgot about the juniors who come in and try to ride kyles dee and act the way he does.

The thing about kyle is he isn't a hater, he is a concerned and skilled player. Others emulating him don't get that.

Long time Mac user looking to upgrade. About to walk in the Apple store and pull the trigger, only issue is 512gb retina vs 1tb storage with the non retina.

Id go with the 1TB unit, surely if you say you're going to buy one they will let you have a quick comparison of the screens.

Gui_PT

they are talking about assumed functionality as it relates to appearance - and it is a reasonable worry without trying it. In reality its buttery smoove and easy to use. That's a battle I am willing to concede til launch since you absolutely have to use it to get it.

If only there were a Beta

Talents

Banned
You forgot about the juniors who come in and try to ride kyles dee and act the way he does.

The thing about kyle is he isn't a hater, he is a concerned and skilled player. Others emulating him don't get that.

>Skilled
>At Reach

I lol'd.

I'm a concerned player aswell, I haven't totally put it down, yet, but if I don't start seeing interesting things soon, I guess Halo 3 will be one of the only games I play for the next 3/4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom