• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
No the gameplay did. I liked what I saw forge wise too other then all grey again. But the additions they added have gone a long long ways towards making it better. Also UI isn't the greatest yea but it's not the worst I've seen either.
Fair enough, I'm just greatly disappointed by the new stuff they've shown. Really, what the fuck.

The custom game lobby, I assume.

v You just got Franklined, Barlow

This:

B2RPu.png

What the hell is this grid on this thing and why are unimportant things so large? =/

Fracas

#fuckonami
I like most of the design choices, but a few of them, the Warthog especially, feel like change just for the sake of change. Overall, I find the game aesthetically pleasing (except for the gray forge demo today) though.

In other news, still haven't preordered it. Not that I don't want the game, I'm just waiting to preorder it at a store near the college I move to in a month. Not sure where to go though. Thinking Best Buy, for the shorter lines and the lithograph.

edit: Seriously, why the hell is there a Halo in the menus? :O

So I guess fall damage is in? I thought it had been removed, but that Forge demo had one section dedicated to placing an invulnerable trait zone to counter it...

zap

I called that the UI is shit way before anyone else.

That must make you feel great! Good job!

Over, chill out man. The way you are posting automatically makes people either ignore your concerns and get annoyed.

I agree that forge sounds underwhelming (still haven't/can't watch it), but there are some great additions in there. I can't imagine why 343 would show off a grey/silver pallette if they have other pallettes on offer. It is shooting themselves in the foot if so, hype wise. That makes me wonder if it will be a FW/tempest deal with a different environment, but the same pieces.

Seance

Banned
The war games menu kinda stinks. You can't see the players in the party or team composition at a glance. You need to shuffle through each of the players....
Also if the AR is going to be that powerful, 343 need to tone down the dang bullet magnetism, gotdayum!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Guess I'm confused at the hatred of the UI, it looks great. Reach's UI looks old and dated, from what we've seen of H4's (non-final) UI it looks clean and nice.

Vire

That must make you feel fear! Good job!

Over, chill out man. The way you are posting automatically makes people either ignore your concerns and get annoyed.

I agree that forge sounds underwhelming (still haven't/can't watch it), but there are some great additions in there. I can't imagine why 343 would show off a grey/silver pallette if they have other pallettes on offer. It is shooting themselves in the foot if so, hype wise. That makes me wonder if it will be a FW/tempest deal with a different environment, but the same pieces.

I think 343 made a poor choice by demoing the same color palette seen in previous Halo games, if they showed off something new first, I don't think there would be the same backlash.

This is all assuming Frankie isn't blowing up smoke up my ass and that these other palettes are genuinely different. I also hope that the ground textures, water and modeling in the environment wasn't final. Some of it looked pretty rough...

Hopefully a ViDoc or something can clear the waters.

Anywho, on a more positive note, Longbow looked like a lot of fun! And I don't mind the UI. :)

v You just got Franklined, Barlow
You would. hahaha

But really, I don't see what 343 is doing with this lobby.
Halo 2:
959261-270952608_large.jpg

Halo 3:
1180503848.jpg

ODST:
lobby.jpg

Halo: Reach
Halo-Reach----Personalize-Your-Game-Lobby-Nameplates.jpg

And now this?
B2RPu.png

Halo 2 pioneered a great console party/lobby system and now you are going to completely change one of the most iconic UIs ever?

This style UI has been copied many times simply because it works.
Modern Warfare:
0.jpg

Gears of War:
7343d1315649597-gears-war-3-discussion-leaks-pre-orders-menu.jpg

This new UI looks like waypoint, which is not a good thing.

Also, sorry for all of different sizes and variations in quality of the images. They were the best I could find quickly.

Talents

Banned
Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Yeah, registered an account very late June 2012.
What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.
England, 16
At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
10, end of Halo 2
For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
About 5/6 months
What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Honestly, although I hate Reach's MP, Halo Reach's Campaign was my favourite. I never really got into Halo 2's MP, so Halo 3 MP.
Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
50, MLG, Team Slayer, Team Doubles, Team Swat, (not sure if I got Lone Wolves) on PuR3 Critical
AR or BR?
BR
Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
CE: Never played the multiplayer, played the campaign though.
Halo 2: Probably Lockout
Halo 3: The Pit
Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)
...I honestly have no idea of any of the maps names except the Pit remake on MLG and Zealot
Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
MLG
Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive Multiplayer, never really got the point of Firefight.
Games completed on solo Legendary.
Halo 3
Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
Honestly da what?
What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
Never really enjoyed Halo's campaign that much, the story line is good, but the missions were extremely boring.
Favorite Reach playlists.
Hardly play Reach, but MLG.
Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
Opinion on reticule bloom.
Don't like, do not like at all...
Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
Well seeing as H3 doesn't have AA's...
Why are you a Halo fan?
Because of its unique gameplay.
Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)
KyleJ, he's one of the only ones who actually says what he thinks about H4, although Cyren is cool as he's pretty much the biggest guy on THC.
Don't not like any.
Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)
I'm 16, live in Tiptree which is located in Essex, my hobby is Martial Arts and my favourite games are Final Fantasy (10 and below) and Halo (not including Reach)

If that didn't fix the boldness then I don't know.

Guess I'm confused at the hatred of the UI, it looks great. Reach's UI looks old and dated, from what we've seen of H4's (non-final) UI it looks clean and nice.

Lots of game UIs are an absolute mess most of the time. The hierarchy and useless sizes of things. If something is broke why fix it? Why is there a row of players? I'd want to see who's in the room more than those huge icons. Wasted space, lack of consistent grid. It's just disappointing.

IHaveIce

Banned
So with next week Comic Con this thread is going to explode right?

Means only if there will be some new stuff on Comic Con.

Don't like the menu, but it is not one of the parts that is really important for me.

Gameplay looked good, forge has improvements and was only one of three FWs and the "grey" had also a new smoother tone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
what are the chances of Overdoz1z not not appearing in my active roster on November 6th?

He's Dutch, there's only 3 things he can do. Smoke weed, Play BF3 and Play Halo.

You're gonna see him on there.

I'm with you, I don't see a problem with it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
they are talking about assumed functionality as it relates to appearance - and it is a reasonable worry without trying it. In reality its buttery smoove and easy to use. That's a battle I am willing to concede til launch since you absolutely have to use it to get it.

Overdoziz

Banned
what are the chances of Overdoz1z not not appearing in my active roster on November 6th?
Halo 4 MP better not be filled with a 100 shitty Forge maps like in Reach if the Forge is really as disappointing as I think it is. I'd rather not look at so many grey Forge maps again.
Seriously, the biggest complain about Reach Forge is how grey it looks and you show more grey objects? I don't get it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The real question is:

What are the odds of Frank appearing on the active roster in HaloGAF customs on November 6th at 12:01 AM?

wwm0nkey

So with next week Comic Con this thread is going to explode right?

Means only if there will be some new stuff on Comic Con.

Don't like the menu, but it is not one of the parts that is really important for me.

Gameplay looked good, forge has improvements and was only one of three FWs and the "grey" had also a new smoother tone.

With Forge being revealed at RTX I think its safe to say Comic-con will have the lore side of Halo and maybe a reveal of a new MP map during the Multiplayer panel.

Some off you are hard to please. Christmas must have been a nightmare for your parents...

I'm not hard to please at all. Previous Halos had the right direction, just needed clean up or to utilize wasted space. This current version though? Why is something like start game huge? What's the design decision there?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lots of game UIs are an absolute mess most of the time. The hierarchy and useless sizes of things. If something is broke why fix it? Why is there a row of players? I'd want to see who's in the room more than those huge icons. Wasted space, lack of consistent grid. It's just disappointing.

I guess I can see that in the custom game UI, but everything else looks clean and nice to me. From what I can tell you can see the names of everyone on the edges of those cards, but yeah, a list may be better.

789shadow

Banned
The real question is:

What are the odds of Frank appearing on the active roster in HaloGAF customs on November 6th at 12:01 AM?
Almost no one will be, because we have to get back home from the store.

I guess I can see that in the custom game UI, but everything else looks clean and nice to me. From what I can tell you can see the names of everyone on the edges of those cards, but yeah, a list may be better.
Why do I have to turn my head sideways to read the player names?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He's Dutch, there's only 3 things he can do. Smoke weed, Play BF3 and Play Halo.

You're gonna see him on there.
I didn't know he was a Hollander. Massive upgrade - but they have too many words for their country and its citizens. Dutch, Netherlands, Holland, Dyke-stoppers, Ruud, etc.

Gotta agree with this, from a visual aesthetic standpoint the UI looks cluttered and messy. Im a big fan of the UI in Halo 2 and 3 and while i dont mind the Reach UI i preferred the blue from previous games.

I really seen no need to update the UI. It might be alot better when we use it and its probably not finalized yet and i don't really like to shit on other peoples work but I hope it gets a less bulky more streamlined overhaul before launch.

Its not game breaking but still

zap

they are talking about assumed functionality as it relates to appearance - and it is a reasonable worry without trying it. In reality its buttery smoove and easy to use. That's a battle I am willing to concede til launch since you absolutely have to use it to get it.

But the 'active roster' requires a button press ala Halo 2 right? Does that not impede the 'butteriness' when sending invites and checking friends? Adding another step to it would seem to make it less smooth. Serious question.

Karl2177

Who knew? Opinions CAN be wrong!

I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, what do you like about the UI?

I was mostly confused about the "Reach looks old and outdated" part. I don't care about the UI unless it is difficult to navigate. It still looks easy to understand and easy to follow. Active Roster still exists in the form of a button(that I totes called on HaloGAF Radio). It's not like the clusterfuck of MW2/MW3 where certain things are in Barracks and other shit that doesn't make sense(although War Games and Spec Ops are starting to ring a bell here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom