• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Same here. Interesting concept, but it just doesn't hold any enjoyment after the first couple of times.

For me it was neat the first time. Then after that, I'd rather just skip the whole section.

Banshee/falcon sections in other Halo's were much more interesting.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 Offers Intelligent Spawn System, Randomized Ordinances, No Fall Damage
Information about Halo 4 is flooding out of its developers as they continue to present the game to the general public. Speaking to a number of pro-gamers and to BravoMLG, 343i revealed a host of new details about the upcoming shooter, with exclusive details about the Halo 4's competitive online gameplay.

Among the first things they revealed was that the spawn system is getting a complete overhaul. Grenades will influence spawns, as will looking at a spawn spot, so players will not die upon spawning. That said, there is a slight chance that they can spawn at these locations, but it'll simply be less likely as the new system will put them somewhere safer.

In addition to the new spawning system, all maps will offer more spawn points. The developers at 343i found that just adding more spawn points gave players a better experience and allowed them a good chance to spawn in safer locations.

Loadouts play a bigger role in team-based matches because it allows players to tailor their loadouts around what their teammates have.

The contents of ordinance drops are random, and can offer a variety of different pick-ups. They are however tailored to every map, so close range maps wouldn't provide you with a rocket launcher in an ordinance drop.

The developer has confirmed the existence of the human shotgun, which wasn't present at its demo in E3. Additionally, there will be no fall damage in the game so players will be free to traverse each map without worrying about falling to their deaths.

343i will be looking at game balance throughout the lifespan of Halo 4 to ensure that the game remains competitive at a high level.

neoism

Additionally, there will be no fall damage in the game so players will be free to traverse each map without worrying about falling to their deaths.
one small step to make up for the shitty looking sniper... awesome.

The developer has confirmed the existence of the human shotgun, which wasn't present at its demo in E3. Additionally, there will be no fall damage in the game so players will be free to traverse each map without worrying about falling to their deaths.
It wasn't this way in the E3 build. So either this thing is wrong, or 343 made changes. If 343 did so: YYYAAAAYYYYYY! But does fall damage here include a stun?

daedalius

It wasn't this way in the E3 build. So either this thing is wrong, or 343 made changes. If 343 did so: YYYAAAAYYYYYY! But does fall damage here include a stun?

Getting slowed for a second when you fall from really high seems fair, since you won't be taking any damage. Lets you traverse the map better, but you can't jump off of a ledge to avoid a fight as easily.

Are you surprised they are still changing stuff from the e3 build? Since they said they would, and Ellis has confirmed things are already quite different.

senador

Banned
Getting slowed for a second when you fall from really high seems fair, since you won't be taking any damage. Lets you traverse the map better, but you can't jump off of a ledge to avoid a fight as easily.

Are you surprised they are still changing stuff from the e3 build? Since they said they would, and Ellis has confirmed things are already quite different.

I would prefer fall damage I believe, but without it I definitely think there should be stun. I don't think it's fair to have no consequence for dropping down from high up.

wwm0nkey

Stun is fine but I feel the lack of damage can improve map flow. For example Headlong was amazing on 2 but shitty on Reach because if you jumped down you were fucked. Stun adds a risk to jumping down if you are in a battle but it wont screw you over when you are not in a fight.

I'm ok with no fall damage but a spartan falling from say... top of Spire should always die, what'd be the point of remaking Spire in H4 then?

FyreWulff

Reach already has Line of Sight spawn weighting, and the weapon you're holding determines how much your staring deweights the spawns. sauce: jonnyothan on the Forge World bungie.net user group, and you can't search the bungie.net usergroups, so I don't have the time to look for it.

Although the "more spawns is better" thing? No shit, I've been saying that for like, 4 years now? If you don't spawn starve Reach's spawn system, it works beautifully.

senador

Banned
Reach already has Line of Sight spawn weighting, and the weapon you're holding determines how much your staring deweights the spawns. sauce: jonnyothan on the Forge World bungie.net user group, and you can't search the bungie.net usergroups, so I don't have the time to look for it.

Although the "more spawns is better" thing? No shit, I've been saying that for like, 4 years now? If you don't spawn starve Reach's spawn system, it works beautifully.

Hyrewulff

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I think what comes in question though is, what do we want the spawn system to be? Because, I prefer in MLG games that I can predict spawns with pretty damn good accuracy. However, in most maps and because of objective gametypes, I'm not usually shooting them as they spawn. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's not something that happens consistently and it also depends on the map. That's the system I prefer.

What I don't prefer is when spawns are constantly being split, or when people are forced to spawn mid map or even towards my team's side of the map.

edit: Terrible at packing? Make sure you make a list of things you need and what you're taking with you nerd!

For me it was neat the first time. Then after that, I'd rather just skip the whole section.

Banshee/falcon sections in other Halo's were much more interesting.
Yeah, the whole thing seemed like a concept that wasn't fully fleshed out due to time constraints. It turns an otherwise awesome Long Night of Solace into an unnecessarily long level.

It seemed like it was the case in Halo 3 as well. I know I could force spawn players in a particular section of a forged map if I tossed a well-timed grenade in the right spot, same thing if I scoped in with the Sniper Rifle.

Regardless, an overhaul of the spawning system was much-needed.

FyreWulff

I think what comes in question though is, what do we want the spawn system to be? Because, I prefer in MLG games that I can predict spawns with pretty damn good accuracy. However, in most maps and because of objective gametypes, I'm not usually shooting them as they spawn. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's not something that happens consistently and it also depends on the map. That's the system I prefer.

What I don't prefer is when spawns are constantly being split, or when people are forced to spawn mid map or even towards my team's side of the map.

edit: Terrible at packing? Make sure you make a list of things you need and what you're taking with you nerd!

Predictable spawns are fine. Exploitable spawns are not. You should be able to predict where they're coming from, but you shouldn't be able to shoot them right when they spawn or assassinate them right when they spawn. Safe but predictable is the key. However, I also think in Slayer that you shouldn't be only allowed to spawn on one side of the map, because you don't have an objective to defend or attack, so there's no point in limiting the safe spots you can spawn from. And despite what people would like to say, non-sided spawning in Slayer is not random.

kylej

Banned
I think it would be a good idea to reduce clutter in here if we made a separate thread or entity just for the tournament. Scheduling, etc could take place there and a) slow down this thread and b) quit talking about the stuff and interrupting flow for members who aren't participating or don't care.

I imagine at a certain point this place will move to its own separate site, I'm just not sure when that will be. If there's another influx of juniors, and we end up with like 500 regulars all posting in one single thread it'll be impossible to read.

I imagine at a certain point this place will move to its own separate site, I'm just not sure when that will be. If there's another influx of juniors, and we end up with like 500 regulars all posting in one single thread it'll be impossible to read.
It already is. I look for familiar names/avatars and pretty much skip the rest. Sorry, new juniors.

JonCha

Oh bloody hell teams have to play by Sunday? I've sent my team's schedule to Computron anyway. Honestly, I think we should just do it tomorrow even if the times aren't 100% ideal. They never will be for me, anyway.

Risen

Predictable spawns are fine. Exploitable spawns are not. You should be able to predict where they're coming from, but you shouldn't be able to shoot them right when they spawn or assassinate them right when they spawn. Safe but predictable is the key. However, I also think in Slayer that you shouldn't be only allowed to spawn on one side of the map, because you don't have an objective to defend or attack, so there's no point in limiting the safe spots you can spawn from. And despite what people would like to say, non-sided spawning in Slayer is not random.

Nearly all spawns in a team game will be exploitable. Once you know the areas, and know the system, you will be able to exploit spawns.

Despite what people would like to say, spawn traps are not bad for competition. It's putting a team in check... checkmate is right around the corner. The entire game is "we start here, you start there, and we fight for control" lose control, and the game becomes hyper-competitive. That's your "objective" in a Team Slayer match. It's fair... it's balanced... and the playing field doesn't change. This is a good thing for competition between evenly matched teams. It's only an issue for those playing people much more skilled than them, or with a much higher understanding of the spawn system.

Without those static, side based spawns, I'm given a free pass to the other side of the map. It turns a team game into an FFA. The team that just exhibited the better team work can/will get penalized. Now we can spawn on the same side as the other team... at the same time. So say on Narrows holding top mid. We kill you blue and you spawn opposite... but during that period I die top mid just before you while my other mates are still alive. I spawn red and as I'm running out you spawn right behind me and get a free kill. The game just penalized the team that exhibited the better skill and teamwork and rewarded the team that performed poorly by allowing a net trade.

In default Team Slayer... this scenario played out time and time again. Rewarding a team for performing poorly and penalizing a team for performing well runs counter to competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom