• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to hold down sprint, or can you just click it?

Edit: Also, I'm hopeful that Promethean Vision will not be available in gametypes that lack radar.

Vire

The drawback is that you are sacrificing something potentially more powerful for a redundancy/crutch. Obviously it can be disabled in Customs and specific MM types where "pro" settings are used.

I agree with this to an extent, I'm just trying to explain where other people are coming from. For me personally, I think I'm going to go with the Thrusters since I'm a radar pro. ;)

Plus that animation is dope in third person!

Swarmerr

PV being overpowered is the weirdest misconception I have ever seen. Even if you ignore the fact that PV targets are invariably indicated on the motion tracker (including approximate vertical location), thus meaning you are sacrificing a newability for a redundant power, the fact is that it only displays foes you cannot shoot. Think about the balance of that combo. The reason PV is cool for some players, is that they don't have the situational awareness of high level players or observant motion tracker users.

As I think bravo said in one of his videos, it provides players that are behind corners or walls with the ability to know exactly where an opponent is in relation to their RETICLE. PV makes aiming much much easier for a player because they just simply move the reticle to exactly where the opposing player is or will be.

For someone not using PV they have to take an educated guess to where the opposing player is in relation to their reticle. Even with the use of radar a player still has to look at the radar and then look back at their reticle to judge where the opposing player will be. Pv meanwhile is instantaneous and does not require the same reticle adjustment.

PV being overpowered is the weirdest misconception I have ever seen. Even if you ignore the fact that PV targets are invariably indicated on the motion tracker (including approximate vertical location), thus meaning you are sacrificing a newability for a redundant power, the fact is that it only displays foes you cannot shoot. Think about the balance of that combo. The reason PV is cool for some players, is that they don't have the situational awareness of high level players or observant motion tracker users.

That's my main issue with PV, is that it seems redundant.

The drawback is that you are sacrificing something potentially more powerful for a redundancy/crutch. Obviously it can be disabled in Customs and specific MM types where "pro" settings are used.

Will here be any way to toggle the AA itself? In Reach you can have unlimited AA, would it be possible to nerf PV?

Vire

As I think bravo said in one of his videos, it provides players that are behind corners or walls with the ability to know exactly where an opponent is in relation to their RETICLE. PV makes aiming much much easier for a player because they just simply move the reticle to exactly where the opposing player is or will be.

For someone not using PV they have to take an educated guess to where the opposing player is in relation to their reticle. Even with the use of radar a player still has to look at the radar and then look back at their reticle to judge where the opposing player will be. Pv meanwhile is instantaneous and does not require the same reticle adjustment.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Inc. nerf.

BigShow36

This is where good-player feedback is so valuable. While you may not think its terribly overpowered, when you give higher-level players instantaneous feedback on exactly what their opponent is doing, it is overpowered. Radar at least has limited range and forces you to look away from your reticle and make an educated guess as to what the enemy is doing; PV bypasses all of that.

In a 1v1 situation, no other perk comes close to that. In team games, no other perk comes close to that. Also, radar isn't used in higher level games because it provides too much feedback and slows games down, now imagine good players in MM with PV.

Also, I'm thouroughly convinced that the in-house testing of Halo games is under strict Halo honor rules, where people use different things and play "friendly." Once you release something like PV into the wild of MM, its going to overtake everything else.

Portugeezer

Doesn't sound OP, only useful to those using it, like all the AA's will be I am guessing.

kylej

Banned

There is nothing more powerful than the knowledge of the other team's exact location if you have decent enough aim. Things like a riot shield disable you to an extent, x-ray vision enables you more than any other ability, and "artificially" enabling someone with confidence is when things become overpowered. Knowing where people are changes the entire dynamic of what you're going to do in a game. This is why you see guys like Elamite spam it really quickly, all they care about is seeing where people are briefly so they can adjust their play.

The female spartan's arm looks like it's being pulled away from the actual body.

That's what I'm saying! Shit ain't right!

Also, another question:

Since you're able to have a "custom loadout," how will that be handled in playlists in which you maybe have something equipped that is banned? Are you going to be forced into using one of the presets, or can you change your loadout in-game?

Tawpgun

I thought PV looked really redundant as well. But at the same time I can't get over MLG players saying its OP.

Maybe they aren't used to looking at radars? Idk.

Frankie, will we see a glimpse of MC's facial features in Halo 4, sorta like Halo 3 Beta?

Master Chief IS Chuck Norris
Confirmed

Vire

Frankie, will we see a glimpse of MC's facial features in Halo 4, sorta like Halo 3 Beta?

Master Chief IS Chuck Norris
Confirmed

They already said no. And the Halo 3 beta model was just a placeholder thing.

I think it'd be pretty funny if they had Frankie modeled underneath the Spartan 4's.

Risen

This is where good-player feedback is so valuable. While you may not think its terribly overpowered, when you give higher-level players instantaneous feedback on exactly what their opponent is doing, it is overpowered. Radar at least has limited range and forces you to look away from your reticle and make an educated guess as to what the enemy is doing; PV bypasses all of that.

In a 1v1 situation, no other perk comes close to that. In team games, no other perk comes close to that.

Exactly this... I don't understand why people seem not to listen to this logic. Real time information on the other team in the manner currently displayed is crazy. The motion detector can be defeated by crouching, lags on line, and is effectively an approximation of the other players movement that requires my attention away from the play space... and in truth it stunts game play even in it's current form.

PV is an order of magnitude above the motion sensor.

Vire

Exactly this... I don't understand why people seem not to listen to this logic. Real time information on the other team in the manner currently displayed is crazy. The motion detector can be defeated by crouching, lags on line, and is effectively an approximation of the other players movement that requires my attention away from the play space... and in truth it stunts game play even in it's current form.

PV is an order of magnitude above the motion sensor.

Disagree completely, effectively using the radar is part of being a good Halo player. It is an extra asset or skill that is required to be truly good at the game. I watch my brother play all the time and I always tell him to look at his radar since he kept getting assassinated. It may seem routine for you, but some players lack the ability.

I hate playing no-radar games because it feels like I'm missing my sixth sense. I liked it in Halo 1, and I'll continue to like it.

Swarmerr

Doesn't sound OP, only useful to those using it, like all the AA's will be I am guessing.

Maybe in regards to that one example I gave, but their are so many scenarios that could used to show the problems associated with PV. The fact that PV extends past the range of radar is already a huge problem. Anyone using PV already has an advantage over everyone else that isn't using it. (radar become useless because a person using PV will already know the best possible way to engage a player without PV before that player even knows they are a threat)

The fact that a pinging noise is made to warn players that they have just been seen with PV can't even be considered a drawback. That player that just got pinged now is thinking, where the hell is the player that just saw me?! (more than likely they won't even know where to begin to look)

If an ability's only drawback is the fact that another ability can be used, it means two things. 1) it is completely useless and other abilities are much better than it or 2) It is OP and there is no drawback to using it. (so the next closest thing to a drawback is the fact that you can be using another ablity, which frankly is true if you use any other ability anyway..)

Risen

Holy fucking upset?

Wolves are food... it is known.

Disagree completely, effectively using the radar is part of being a good Halo player. It is an extra asset or skill that is required to be truly good at the game. I watch my brother play all the time and I always tell him to look at his radar since he kept getting assassinated. It may seem routine for you, but some players lack the ability.

I hate playing no-radar games because it feels like I'm missing my sixth sense.

Which is exactly what I'm talking about... it retards the development of awareness... it stunts movement because people can sit in corners and watch their radar with a certainty of where other players are... it stunts map design for the same reason as it lessens the requirement to move around the map... it artificially increases the skill level of people with lower awareness, again which is bad for competition.

I get that people want it, or even like it... but in terms of versus game play, pure competition suffers.

kylej

Banned
Also, I'm thouroughly convinced that the in-house testing of Halo games is under strict Halo honor rules, where people use different things and play "friendly." Once you release something like PV into the wild of MM, its going to overtake everything else.

Pretty much. Hence the Zealot space section lacking a kill zone.

Hire Walshy. Get his feedback.

For real.

Anyway, Risen's team and Jazzy's team moved on today? Separating the wheat from the chaff early on I see. I think I'm playing Jazzy next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom