• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNut

Banned
Remember the days where players didn't need Cr or Truskill to want to win?

Yup, you win you gained EXP or a numbered rank. You lose you don't get anything but the satisfaction of trying your best and the desire to get better. The way it should be. There's always customs to goof off and have fun. Now everything is just about participation medals. It's so sad.

Louis Wu

Correct Wu.
Misquoting me on the top of a page?

For shame.

So I hit the credit limit in Matchmaking a few hours ago. Seemed like a horrible waste of credits, given that I was two matchmaking wins away from the challenge - which ends in the morning. :(

Someone suggested that the credit system resets at midnight (player's time) each night, so I just tried the two firefight challenges (it's 12:27am here).

No go. Limit still in effect. :(

Sucks.

He totally ditched me on Reach just now.
I got booted to the lobby - twice. :(

(I even sent you an apology.)

Yup, you win you gained EXP or a numbered rank. You lose you don't get anything but the satisfaction of trying your best and the desire to get better. The way it should be. There's always customs to goof off and have fun. Now everything is just about participation medals. It's so sad.
What I'm most happy about is how many hours I'll have to put in before I get the full multiplayer experience. Thanks COD progression system!

Swarmerr

Those days were also (at least for me) the days when I didn't have xbox live. So there was great satisfaction in winning because I beat my friends or brothers. Of course when I was was playing my friends or brothers I knew what their skill level was and how bad I should of won or lost.

In reach matchmaking I have no idea if the people I just lost to or beat are good, bad or amazing. Having a skill based rank that only the one person could see paired with much stricter true skill would allow for me and others to properly gauge how skillful we are as individual halo players. (provided games are matched according to that skill based rank)

Vire

By the way from a distant Bulletin this was mentioned:

What will the ranking system be like? –xMcCarthee

It will be altered. More news later.

So at the very least, it won't be identical to Reach.

I can't join you Plywood, Live won't let me.
Misquoting me on the top of a page?

For shame.

So I hit the credit limit in Matchmaking a few hours ago. Seemed like a horrible waste of credits, given that I was two matchmaking wins away from the challenge - which ends in the morning. :(

Someone suggested that the credit system resets at midnight (player's time) each night, so I just tried the two firefight challenges (it's 12:27am here).

No go. Limit still in effect. :(

Sucks.

I got booted to the lobby - twice. :(

(I even sent you an apology.)
I know. No worries.

FyreWulff

It'd be interesting if a physics impulse volume can be attached to things like hills etc in Reach. Imagine a game mode where a Spartan walks around and scenery just suddenly gets pulled into them.

edit: Huggernaut

It'd be interesting if a physics impulse volume can be attached to things like hills etc in Reach. Imagine a game mode where a Spartan walks around and scenery just suddenly gets pulled into them.

Or if they could be attached to vehicles. My God the possibilities lol.

Game type: catch em all.
Objective. Stick every player to your warthog and deliver to goal.

I would die from laughter playing something like that.

Speaking of netcode... How about no more blackscreens? Give us an animation or some streaming video while we wait for a new host. Black screens drive me mad.

FUCK YEA. Every week a couple new montages could be preloaded. They would play during blackscreens. Get to watch Pistola blaindong kids while waiting.

Still doesn't seem like a great replacement for the Grenade Launcher. And it doesn't sound like something that will be used more often which is something Frankie said was a problem with the GL. Odd.

SOOO GLAD you brought this up because it's something I wanted to mention while lurking.. Stinkles, give it to us straight and don't do the Bungie way - what is the REAL reason you removed the human 'Nade Launcher? Is it because you're making a Covenant/Forerunner equivalent? I know that's most likely just being hopeful but.. one can.. hope.

Removing the 'Nade Launcher due to its "subpar usage" seems like just an excuse to feed the dogs. I mean if you think about it, with the new indicators letting people know there was a 'Nade Launcher in a hidden shower on Powerhouse in a section of the map no one would ever go for a fight is what it needed, which is what Halo 4 has.

My proposal:

• Bring a 'Nade Launcher equivalent back
    -----Have it function just like Reach with a little bit more power since the maps are bigger and the gameplay is faster
  • Give the Sticky Detonator the same feature of the 'Nade Launcher:
    -----Hold button for remote mine detonation with screen
    -----Press button which makes it act like a proximity mine (think Goldeneye 007) which you can then switch weapons and not have to watch it

I'm okay with the new launcher. It just has a dinky look. GL was respectable, and had a real Freudian strength about it.

It just seems like they're streamlining its use in 4, making the functionality more intuitive in hitting the trigger twice and having a large screen presented to show its proximity feature.

They're really children.

I weep for the children of the future if they are going to look like that.. I mean seriously, that picture looks scarier than Furby when it turns on in the middle of the night.

I love grabbing sword and rarely using it. Chances are, if I were to send a hologram holding the sword towards a dude, they're going to freak out and waste a shot or two. All the while, I have been shooting them with a DMR. This probably doesn't happen in higher level play, but it happens at my level.

It's very psychological... kind of. The seemingly immediate threat of a sword coming towards you coupled with already being shot at is enough to really dupe players into going for the sword first.

Thats... actually a really good strategy. Hm. I like that a lot tbh, and that could work with any power weapon I suppose... Run out of rockets? Send in the hologram with it to freak people out and take em out with the BR. Yum.

Now I want to play Halo 4 even moreeeeeeeee.... November is too far.

JackHerer

I'm okay with the new launcher. It just has a dinky look. GL was respectable, and had a real Freudian strength about it.

It just seems like they're streamlining its use in 4, making the functionality more intuitive in hitting the trigger twice and having a large screen presented to show its proximity feature.

What does that mean?

GhaleonEB

First thing I thought of was a pinball variant. And you are the pinball.

I'm off from work here in about 20 minutes and should be home in about 40. I would really like to play some Halo with some of you tonight if thats alright. :) just a few games at most.

GT is SLT Poison (FR me if ya want)
I'm in Cali so PST time I'll be home around 10:30-10:40ish

How come you guys on my friends list aren't on right now? :( Need halo buds
EDIT: and it keeps restarting search after every "Match Found." Da fuq reach?

EDIT AGAIN: So reach seriously won't let me in a game, it keeps restarting search. Anyone else on wanna play to try to fix this garbage?

You could probably do this in Reach but I'd love to see a sort of ball in a cup game.

One sniper looks down and sees a square filled with red Spartans. At the top, however, is a blue one, your target. The sniper watches as the blue guy enters the square and becomes red. Now all the players in the square try to move around and distract the sniper. After 15 seconds, no one on the square can move. Sniper gets one shot. He gets points if he killed the blue guy. They all get points if he chooses wrong.

That or MORE Derby!

The thing about PV is that it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks. In other admittedly (lesser) games for example: Blacklight Retribution has a see through walls component but the catch is that you can't shoot while you use it. So you can get a quick glance at the scenario, then switch it off and fire. Promethean Vision however, you can continue to keep it on and there's no real consequence. Likewise, in Perfect Dark there's something that let's you see through walls but it's range is much more limited than what is seen in Halo 4. If PV had some of these types of measures built in, I doubt we would be hearing so many complaints. I personally don't think it's game-breaking, but a few tweaks here and there would be nice.

I like the suggestions like not being able to shoot in PV. That alone may make it more balanced like how you can't shoot while Thrusting.

PV being overpowered is the weirdest misconception I have ever seen. Even if you ignore the fact that PV targets are invariably indicated on the motion tracker (including approximate vertical location), thus meaning you are sacrificing a newability for a redundant power, the fact is that it only displays foes you cannot shoot. Think about the balance of that combo. The reason PV is cool for some players, is that they don't have the situational awareness of high level players or observant motion tracker users.

PV is gives you WAY more information than a radar does, I hope you're reading this post as to why people aren't buying the "but pros won't need/use it and it only helps lesser-skilled players to be more aware"

This is the information PV tells you:

• Where a player is facing and what the direction of their movement is
    -----You can already start shooting at them before they even turn the corner based on how their character is moving. Radar only shows you the dot of the player.
  • You can see way further than the radar range.
  • PV shows players who aren't on the radar (crouching, walking)
    -----This hurts map control because you'll be watched even though you're not showing up on radar
  • Knowing where everyone is on the map for the 5 secs PV lasts and the quick regen it has is way more useful than all the other AA's. Imagine this with AA Efficiency?
  • Why would you wanna take your eyes off the action by looking at a radar when you can just play in PV mode and use the radar when you're not abusing it?
  • PV is so crisp and clean, too easy to battle in.
  • Radar leaves a fairly larger margin of error than PV.

I really like the idea of not being able to shoot while in PV. Maybe you can make it so the Spartan has to press something to use it (so it makes sense that you can't shoot).

The drawback is that you are sacrificing something potentially more powerful for a redundancy/crutch. Obviously it can be disabled in Customs and specific MM types where "pro" settings are used.

No other AA's compare to the most important thing needed in team play:

-----Communication

Communicating where all the players are at all times around the map is way more useful than any other AA.

EDIT
--Seems like other people are already commenting on this lol

It will allow very good players to move with impunity, never having to guess where other people are... unless playing other very good players using the same ability... in which case there will be moments the game will slow to a crawl... depending on map of course. I get there may be a counter we haven't seen - I'm speaking purely of the ideal absent of that.

This. I really believe there isn't a good counter. Camo is the only one that acts like a REAL counter because no one really falls for Holograms and you can't use Holograms based solely on trying to trick people. That being said, Camo shouldn't even BE an AA! Hopefully the Sentry Turret won't show up on PV like 'nades do.

Everyone who has played it says it's not that big of a deal and will be using a different AA more than likely as their primary.

Why don't you buy into this?

Because Halo's track record suggests otherwise. First, idk what people you're referring to because 99% of people I've seen are complaining about it. Second, can you not see what matchmaking will turn into a couple weeks (if that) down the line?

Alright seriously? Is anyone else having this problem? Matchmakeing restarts the search every mother fucking time after a "match found." I'm about to just give up and go to bed.

heckfu

Banned
Because Halo's track record suggests otherwise. First, idk what people you're referring to because 99% of people I've seen are complaining about it. Second, can you not see what matchmaking will turn into a couple weeks (if that) down the line?

No, I literally cannot see what matchmaking will turn into and neither can you. I can promise you have no idea what it will be like.

And all of my friends that have played it said that thrusters will be their go-to. They are the 1%, I guess.

senador

Banned
Sheesh, this thread moves so quick these days its difficult to keep up with. I'm not going to lie, I've started skipping over posts from juniors for now.

I'm glad the controls schemes are a WIP. They are all off in such a way that'd they'd really suck, save for Recon. I can never play Recon though after playing with melee on bumper. Bumper Jumper looks really off, AA on left trigger? Wha? Default is almost there, but I'd much rather have crouch on stick and sprint on a face button. Please let this be an option.

Still doesn't seem like a great replacement for the Grenade Launcher. And it doesn't sound like something that will be used more often which is something Frankie said was a problem with the GL. Odd.

I will miss bouncing grenades around corners. That's the best thing about the Grenade Launcher.

Sticky Detonator is definitely not sounding like a good replacement for grenade launcher, especially after hearing that grenade launcher is gone because of low usage in Reach. I don't see SD getting more use. Its also kind of ugly. GL is one of the most interesting looking Halo guns in terms of use and visuals, IMO. Figuring out the angles to to bounce it and get 1 hit kills with it was probably one of the most satisfying things for me in all Halos. The looks, sounds, physics are just perfect to me. Definitely a bummer knowing it'll be gone. :(

Pretty much. Hence the Zealot space section lacking a kill zone.

Hire Walshy. Get his feedback.

For real.

This actually sounds like an awesome idea. I think the first I've really seen of him is with Halo 4 coverage. I now wish I had watched him while he was playing. He seems super super reasonable and genuinely nice and excited. His facial expressions are really entertaining to watch. He seriously seems like a good fit for the Halo multiplayer team, and I usually think these ideas of hiring pros is silly.

-----

Fracas, is losers bracket happening still?

No, I literally cannot see what matchmaking will turn into and neither do you. I can promise you have no idea what it will be like. All of my friends that have played it said that thrusters will be their go-to. They are the 1%, I guess.

Don't make UNKNOWN a promise if you know you can't keep it. Either way, I guess we'll just have to wait and see even though all the points are suggesting otherwise ;]

Also, ever played Halo 1 on XBC? Ever heard of glasswall hacks? Do you have any idea what happened to the community back when those were discovered? Bad news my friend.. bad, bad news.

Alright seriously? Is anyone else having this problem? Matchmakeing restarts the search every mother fucking time after a "match found." I'm about to just give up and go to bed.

Halo: Reach page on FB has updated with stating Matching Making Problems and Apologizes for the issues.

heckfu

Banned
Don't make UNKNOWN a promise if you know you can't keep it. Either way, I guess we'll just have to wait and see even though all the points are suggesting otherwise ;]

You're acting like a clown, what's the point in having a conversation with that? First you say that 99% of people hate it, then you say ALL signs point to it being shit. That's incongruent and made up statistics at its finest. I can handle naysayers that have concrete figures, but made up shit is lame.

Halo: Reach page on FB has updated with stating Matching Making Problems and Apologizes for the issues.
Well, that's it then. They "apologize" for the issue, I've tried to play this game for a good half-hour now and it's told me "no, fuck off." Screw this shit then, no one's on and I'm going to bed.

Stinkles, what causes this problem? Seriously, what technical reason is there for matchmaking to restart it's search each and every time a match is found?

Ken

You're a clown

Uh oh.

Well, that's it then. They "apologize" for the issue, I've tried to play this game for a good half-hour now and it's told me "no, fuck off." Screw this shit then, no one's on and I'm going to bed.

Stinkles, what causes this problem? Seriously, what technical reason is there for matchmaking to restart it's search each and every time a match is found?

:O

TheOddOne

You're not vhfive.
My reaction as well.
01laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom