• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Science is happenING.

I hope it sounds like the thunder of Zeus.

I hope it sounds like diarrhea slamming against toilet water

Lolol I'm so immature. I laughed hysterically at the idea of the Laser sounding like that.

Blissful

Neo Member
There's a broken piece within the map that can be exploited with two players using jet-pack. It's located on which if I remember correctly the red side of the map and in between a corner of the ramp that leads to the bottom lift and sniper spawn. Once they pass through this opening, they're able to get out of Select and there's no kill barriers or soft- kill barries to discourage players.

They removed jet-pack from Arena prior to removing Select. Best matchmaking update the Arena was given to be honest. Now we gatta fight it off in Halo 4 -.-

Kiryu

If I were preordering 320GB Xbox 360 Halo 4 Edition and will it worth the bonus of everything included? I am Halo diehard gamer and I am not really fan of Xbox 360 but I still use it for Halo "first party/exclusive" games.

Ken

If I were preordering 320GB Xbox 360 Halo 4 Edition and will it worth the bonus of everything included? I am Halo diehard gamer and I am not really fan of Xbox 360 but I still use it for Halo "first party/exclusive" games.

Yeah.

They removed jet-pack from Arena prior to removing Select. Best matchmaking update the Arena was given to be honest. Now we gatta fight it off in Halo 4 -.-

Still think giving us the DMR was the best update.

Lol Bungie actually gave us THE competitive playlist with AR starts. That actually happened. Just take a moment to think about that.

Ken

Oh geez, it didn't went well as I thought. I do have 250GB Xbox 360 but if I could sell mine for 320GB Xbox 360 Halo 4 Edition with bonus if it were worth it.

If you already have a 360 then I think it's a waste of money.

But you did say you are a diehard Halo fan so that may override frugality.

If I had money to spare I would buy it but I say the same thing about all limited editions.

I don't blame you. I said this 1,000 times tonight, but I'm still compelled to type it here: there were less than 30,000 people on Reach. Is the general Halo population getting tired of the lackluster gameplay and playlists in the game?

If that's not it than what major games releases have hit that would knock it down to well under half of what it was averaging Fri-Sun?
Clearly something was borked with the population numbers today, there is no way there was 30,000 people on Reach in the middle of a Sunday. That's about a third of what the population has been lately.
I swear to god I'm going to get richer than Bill Gates and then forcefully introduce the Pacific Northwest to the concept of AC.
FUCK AC IT'S FOR THE WEAK!

I'm right with you, I have no idea why this area is so uniformly against AC.
I'm thinking maybe as in all the secondaries + primary-only weapons will be included in the total primary count.
Well we also saw that there is specifically 4 secondary starting weapons, so I doubt it's both.
Le sigh.

Never, ever liked the Laser.
Laser blows. Not an opinion.

Still think giving us the DMR was the best update.

Lol Bungie actually gave us THE competitive playlist with AR starts. That actually happened. Just take a moment to think about that.
"Heresy! Remove this filth!" Seriously, this was going on last I remember of Season 5/6 in March? I think. lol

Soooo primaries = secondaries? :p

What other secondaries could we possibly get?

lol - Maybe I'm missing something but..

Primary Weapon Choices:
  1. DMR
  2. BR
  3. Carbine
  4. Light Rifle
  5. Storm Rifle - secondary
  6. Assault Rifle - secondary
  7. Shotgun
  8. Speculated SMG Forerunner Weapon - secondary
  9. Pistol - secondary
  10. etc.

Primaries include all the weapons while secondaries exclude the precision rifles. Then when you go to choose your secondary, if you chose an AR for your primary it would be grayed out under secondary. Hopefully that makes sense?

Otherwise, who would choose an AR/Storm Rifle over the other weapons as their primary? I was kinda hoping 343 would allow for people to spawn with BR/AR or even Pistol/AR if they wanted because I just don't see the automatics getting much use again if they have to compete with the rifles lol

Well we also saw that there is specifically 4 secondary starting weapons, so I doubt it's both.

Talking about the E3 build or something else? The E3 build had the Plasma Pistol and there was mention that those were just for custom game purposes (going back to the Halo 4 reveal from Game Informer) since that's what we knew about already. I wasn't on this site at the time, but I'm sure you guys talked about how broken BTB would be spawning with Plasma Pistols.

lol - Maybe I'm missing something but..

Primary Weapon Choices:
  1. DMR
  2. BR
  3. Carbine
  4. Light Rifle
  5. Storm Rifle - secondary
  6. Assault Rifle - secondary
  7. Shotgun
  8. Speculated SMG Forerunner Weapon - secondary
  9. Pistol - secondary
  10. etc.

Primaries includes all the weapons while secondary excludes the precision rifles. Then when you go to choose your secondary, if you chose an AR for your primary it would be grayed out under secondary. Hopefully that makes sense?

Otherwise, who would choose an AR/Storm Rifle over the other weapons as their primary? I was kinda hoping 343 would allow for people to spawn with BR/AR if they wanted because I just don't see the automatics getting much use again if they have to compete with the rifles lol

Talking about the E3 build or something else? The E3 build had the Plasma Pistol and there was mention that those were just for custom game purposes (going back to the Halo 4 reveal from Game Informer) since that's what we knew about already. I wasn't on this site at the time, but I'm sure you guys talked about how broken BTB would be spawning with Plasma Pistols.
I'm pretty sure the only secondaries we've seen are the human and plasma pistols. everything else is a primary

FyreWulff

To be honest, does anyone expect the BR, DMR, and the Carbine to differentiate from each other? They're all historically the mid long-ish range type of rifle, and it honestly feels like they're there to justify customizing your loadout instead of filling separate roles in the sandbox. Especially the BR and the DMR being in the same game just sounds silly, but then again the DMR is in Anniversary Classic even though there's no Halo 1 analogue.

To be honest, does anyone expect the BR, DMR, and the Carbine to differentiate from each other? They're all historically the mid long-ish range type of rifle, and it honestly feels like they're there to justify customizing your loadout instead of filling separate roles in the sandbox. Especially the BR and the DMR being in the same game just sounds silly, but then again the DMR is in Anniversary Classic even though there's no Halo 1 analogue.

I foresee little difference between the BR and Carbine, but the DMR will probably be slightly different.

Noricart

Probably be a personal choice, e.x : Carbine shoots faster, does slightly less damage, easier to miss. BR classic all-round weapon that is slightly inefficient at range, most consistent. DMR long to mid. Light Rifle may just have so little ammo in a clip but does more damage at a slower speed.

I do sorta feel like it could be going the route of most military shooters, where all the guns are similar to each other.

Omni

I broke my Xbox controller in a Reach related incident (Lol, Reachrage) and then spent $80 buying a new one. So after opening and throwing out the packaging I think to myself "Well I might as well see what happened" and pulled apart and put back together the old controller...

and then it starts working as good as new. Fuck. Looks like I'll have to give the Halo 4 controller a miss... Just a waste of money buying another one.

Ken

I broke my Xbox controller in a Reach related incident (Lol, Reachrage) and then spent $80 buying a new one. So after opening and throwing out the packaging I think to myself "Well I might as well see what happened" and pulled apart and put back together the old controller...

and then it starts working as good as new. Fuck. Looks like I'll have to give the Halo 4 controller a miss... Just a waste of money buying another one.

You can get the official controllers for like $40.

FyreWulff

I foresee little difference between the BR and Carbine, but the DMR will probably be slightly different.

Probably be a personal choice, e.x : Carbine shoots faster, does slightly less damage, easier to miss. BR classic all-round weapon that is slightly inefficient at range, most consistent. DMR long to mid. Light Rifle may just have so little ammo in a clip but does more damage at a slower speed.

I do sorta feel like it could be going the rout of most military shooters, where all the guns are similar to each other.

Yeah, the issue I see here is if any of the 3 have a notable advantage over the other, it's basically

1) everyone will just go for that rifle and the other two will be ignored
2) if that weapon is a later unlock then you have a CoD situation of the higher ranked winning harder.

senador

Banned
Oh shit, the Covenant are on Mars!

YTRzw.jpg

Noricart

Yeah, the issue I see here is if any of the 3 have a notable advantage over the other, it's basically

1) everyone will just go for that rifle and the other two will be ignored
2) if that weapon is a later unlock then you have a CoD situation of the higher ranked winning harder.
Cod4 avoided that by having the weapons you start with be the best ones, like that damn m16 + stopping power.

I think while there will be differences between the rifles, but it's mostly just a player choice thing. If you are going to have custom loadouts and let players choose their starting weapons, you might as well do that as far as I'm concerned, no half measures.

I am quite happy about it because I vastly prefer single-shot guns to burst fire.

Since 343 removed Elites as playable characters in the MP and others questioned them for it, they gave a hint to another playable character as replacement, but to what we can only wonder. Maybe the concepts of warrior class forerunners in Halo: Legends Origins Part 1 or The Didact in Origins part 2? It's difficult to guess what 343 has veiled atm. Here's to wishful thinking what could be possible:http://www.halopedia.org/Promethean
In addition:http://www.halopedia.org/Warrior-Servant

I'm pretty sure the only secondaries we've seen are the human and plasma pistols. everything else is a primary

Thanks for at least acknowledging my post, but I don't think you fully read it ;]

If a burst-fire weapon was my only option besides a Sniper for anything past 50 ft., I think I would stab myself with Q-Tips. You're most likely just looking at it too much as an extreme. I know this isn't what you're intending, but going with what you said we'd only have like 5 weapons: CQC, Medium, Long, Power, Needler.

I think while there will be differences between the rifles, but it's mostly just a player choice thing. If you are going to have custom loadouts and let players choose their starting weapons, you might as well do that as far as I'm concerned, no half measures.

My thoughts exactly, that's why I believe in that primary/secondary idea.

Omni

I went to a Target in Cairns once and saw Xbox games for like $90. At that moment I knew I could never live in Australia.

Hah. The sad thing is that's actually pretty cheap.. New games are usually around $100-115. Never understood why prices are so high.

GhaleonEB

If Halo 4 sucks, what does HaloGAF do? We can't play Halo 3 forever.

Or can we?
Destiny awaits.

Guys, we just saw an image be sent from another planet only minutes after a rover landed and we still have Waypoint lose it's link data half the time when you click on links to it.

FUCK YEAH SCIENCE.
It was incredibly thrilling to watch. I wish I'd woken the kids for it. :(

Le sigh.

Never, ever liked the Laser.

One of many reasons I'm deeply worried about multiplayer.

FyreWulff

If a burst-fire weapon was my only option besides a Sniper for anything past 50 ft., I think I would stab myself with Q-Tips. You're most likely just looking at it too much as an extreme. I know this isn't what you're intending, but going with what you said we'd only have like 5 weapons: CQC, Medium, Long, Power, Needler.

From what I remember, only the Carbine potentially had spread. DMR is bloomless now, the BR just has muzzle climb which is easily nullable in Frankie's own words. If the Carbine is like Halo 3's, then it has bloom but a high rate of fire and bullet speed.

I'm not saying we'd only have 5 weapons, but I generally agreed with the decision on Reach where we didn't have redundant weapons in the sandbox anymore. It's annoying enough that the game has both the Repeater and the Plasma Rifle. In Halo 3, they just dealt with it by having the redundant weapons not exist on every .map and made them unselectable as start weapons, which is why you couldn't start with the Beam (Sniper), PR (SMG), Carbine (BR), Mauler (Shotgun), or Spiker (SMG). Covies Slayer in Halo 3 was a joke, because everyone started with a BR and AR :p

I'm basically just saying that it kind of gives off the feeling that they're basically throwing every Halo weapon in that they can to support the new loadout customization so it actually feels like customization. Forerunner weapons are the same way as well. I prefer more uniques than more skins.

Random Trivia: The Beam Rifle is actually in every map in Halo 3, but I guess it was out of scope to actually patch it in as spawnable, since it seemed like it was added back into certain maps very late

My thoughts exactly, that's why I believe in that primary/secondary idea.

Can't say I agree with your primary/secondary idea. We know that Assault Rifle and Storm Rifle are primary weapons.

The only secondary weapons in the E3 build with Magnum and Plasma Pistol.
Destiny awaits.

Can't wait for half of HaloGAF's dreams to be crushed about their frail dream of Destiny being basically a Halo clone in terms of game structure. The popcorn.gif will be out.
I'm not saying we'd only have 5 weapons, but I generally agreed with the decision on Reach where we didn't have redundant weapons in the sandbox anymore. It's annoying enough that the game has both the Repeater and the Plasma Rifle. In Halo 3, they just dealt with it by having the redundant weapons not exist on every .map and made them unselectable as start weapons, which is why you couldn't start with the Beam (Sniper), PR (SMG), Carbine (BR), Mauler (Shotgun), or Spiker (SMG). Covies Slayer in Halo 3 was a joke, because everyone started with a BR and AR :p
I agree with not having redundant weapons in the sandbox, but I think that changes a bit when we're talking about choosing your starting weapons in a game. Unless I'm severely mistaken, 343 has decided to make a clear distinction between starting weapons and ordnance/power weapons. We haven't seen stuff like Plasma Pistol, Needler, or BR spawn on the map or drop in personal ordnance in H4, which is a change from past Halo's when something that you might spawn with in another gametype will spawn on the map in this one (Needle Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Magnum as examples). With this distinction in mind, I don't think that it's that important that all redundancies are completely eliminated from the class of starting weapons, and much of it just comes down to personal choice. As for the class of ordnance weapons however, I hope that they have a focus on no redundant weapons (like Reach did), although based on what we've seen, I don't have a ton of confidence in that.

GhaleonEB

Concerning the multiplayer, I am most worried about the community.

I have a pretty long list of worries, but I've been sitting on them until I've had a chance to play it at PAX.
Can't wait for half of HaloGAF's dreams to be crushed about their frail dream of Destiny being basically a Halo clone in terms of game structure. The popcorn.gif will be out.

Oh, I'm not worried on that front.

FyreWulff

I wonder how many people will actually play due to the HDD requirements

This is going to play out in a very interesting way for sure. Earlier on, I assumed 4 would be like Reach and 3 before it, where they essentially replaced the games.

But now we know that Reach and 4 differ in certain ways. Will this be the first Halo where we end up with a CoD situation, where the newest and the Newest - 1 follow each other on the charts? Halo 4 will be the first mainline Halo game to not have a notable gametype or feature from the previous, since they're dropping Firefight and Invasion. I wonder if people will accept Spartan Ops as a Firefight replacement, and then you throw in the HDD requirement and some people with Cores might just be happy to stay back on Reach.

I'm only talking about online population and not sales. Halo 4 is gonna sell.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wish I knew where we stand on Halo 4 as far as information given. Like, is what we know now 80% of what the game will be, or is there going to be a megaton or two before launch that makes all we know now seem like peanuts.

Ken

I wish I knew where we stand on Halo 4 as far as information given. Like, is what we know now 80% of what the game will be, or is there going to be a megaton or two before launch that makes all we know now seem like peanuts.

Firefight VS.

tee hee

The only megaton I would need is that they can add new armor in via DLC.

Noricart

Supposed to be a megaton soon. But I would like Frankie to quantify in sleeps.

I'm suspecting some sort of Versus capability in Spartan Ops, and I'm basing this completely on the Elites being hunched over again like Halo 3, almost as if they're being made to have parity with Spartans again. Hmm. Not sure why they'd re-hunch the Elites again, otherwise.
A logical explanation would be that straight-backed Elites were once a dominant gene and as the years went on, the recessive curved back elites became more common or the Elite hieracry was centered around straight-backs with curved at the bottom and the straight ones were the first to battle.
...or something like that.
Retcon shit ya know?

FyreWulff

Firefight VS.

tee hee

I'm suspecting some sort of Versus capability in Spartan Ops, and I'm basing this completely on the Elites being hunched over again like Halo 3, almost as if they're being made to have parity with Spartans again. Hmm. Not sure why they'd re-hunch the Elites again, otherwise.

Previously I would have said "it's visual consistency for people going from Halo 3 to Halo 4", but Godzilla Jackal and John Carter Grunt happened.

Can't say I agree with your primary/secondary idea. We know that Assault Rifle and Storm Rifle are primary weapons.

The only secondary weapons in the E3 build with Magnum and Plasma Pistol.

Why can't the AR be selectable as either a primary or secondary weapon? That's all I was saying. Who would willingly choose to go AR/Pistol instead of Precision Rifle/Pistol? Why not give the option of Precision Rifle/AR? It's safe to assume the automatics will once again be overlooked otherwise, even more-so that players won't ever have to spawn with them again lol

Also, that E3 build was the same build they let Game Informer use, no? Remember all the talk about the PP being broken as a secondary, especially in BTB, then having 343 say that those options were only set for that custom game/build at the time?

--EDITS--

I should've prefaced all of this by saying that sometimes the obvious choices (to me at least) aren't always what will happen unfortunately ;\ and we'd end up with 2 secondary weapons with 5 automatic weapons labeled under primary that no one will ever use.

Also, I think the problem may be in the whole stigma of primary vs secondary weapons as we've seen in other games with custom loadouts. Going in with this mentality would prove detrimental to Halo because the automatics don't kill in a couple shots like other military shooters, so designing the primary/secondary loadouts similarly would be a catastrophe IMO.

Why can't the AR be selectable as either a primary or secondary weapon? That's all I was saying. Who would willingly choose to go AR/Pistol instead of Precision Rifle/Pistol? Why not give the option of Precision Rifle/AR? It's safe to assume the automatics will once again be overlooked otherwise, even more-so that players won't ever have to spawn with them again lol

Also, that E3 build was the same build they let Game Informer use, no? Remember all the talk about the PP being broken as a secondary, especially in BTB, then having 343 say that those options were only set for that custom game/build at the time?

That option exists, it's a perk called "firepower" that allows you to choose two primary weapons. Why would they shit all over that perk by allow some (the ones you'd probably want to use) primaries as secondaries by default? Not to mention that is terribly inconsistent design to have a small set of weapons that are both primaries and secondaries.

We have no idea what build that Game Informer played, and I take that comment as basically, stuff isn't final, and is subject to change. I take all impressions from places like Game Informer with a grain of salt because with the possible exception of one or two, those guys don't continuously play Halo MP for years after it's out. They are simply not hardcore expert Halo players. (And shouldn't be expected to be, their jobs require that they play a lot of different games in order to cover them, they probably aren't experts on any single game or franchise.)

As for the AR's use as a primary, I think you'll be surprised by how many players use the AR as a primary (as you said, what seems like obvious choices to players like you and I are not always so for the majority of the player base). Sure, a lot of the hardcore players won't use the automatic weapons, but I think Firepower will be used by a significant number of hardcore players to use AR and Storm Rifle as secondaries though as the Magnum looks fucking terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom