• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Wow, sweet OP Ghaleon!

Just seeing this thread gets me super pumped for the Beta. :lol

Fake Edit: some pretty cool info in some of those aticles. I'm really loving the detail on the weapons and armor. I'm also realy loving the epic skybox in Boneyard.

Oozer3993

That OP is wonderful. This thread should make a good home for us HaloGAFfers, for a little while at least.

Linkzg said:
Will you be able to preload this? I don't want it to be like the Halo 3 beta where shit was fucked

at least I won't have to see that stupid opening to Crackdown eight dozen games

When have you ever been able to preload an Xbox beta/demo?

Popeck said:
I spotted something peculiar while browsing the Overlook files on the beta. The description for the films said "Overlook on Easy". Might be just remnants from the campaign... or something bigger.
F-f-f-firefight??

GhaleonEB said:
I might take you up on that. I had originally had all the weapon images at hotlinks to the high res version, but I'm going through and removing those since I need the room for updates (I link to the weapons gallery earlier anyways). When the playlists and bungie.net guides go online, we'll see. Thanks.

I thought it was confirmed NOT to be in the Beta. Got a link handy? :)
here
Popeck said:
Our article is in Finnish, but here's an important picture: FileBro.

I'm pretty pumped for the public beta. The armor abilities felt good and none of the felt overpowered, not even armor lock. It was fun to lock yourself just when someone started shooting at you, but more often than not I locked myself too late. The invulnerability isn't effective immediately after pressing the button. However, I think the armor lock can be really useful when used as a part of a team. For example, I was getting donged, so I activated the armor lock. The enemy was waiting for the lock to deactivate, but my teammate came in to the building and killed him. We took the flag and ran away smiling.

Oh, and the Mongoose is in the beta. We played Race on Boneyard. The new Mongoose really looks massive compared to the Halo 3 one.

Great OP, Ghaleon. That's a shitload of work right there.

Gui_PT

As Ghaleon said in the other thread about the "regroup" button:
GhaleonEB said:
I'm wondering if that's for Campaign, to pull the rest of the squad together.

That's most probably right, but I wonder if it'll also be used in Multiplayer so you can let your team know you're in trouble and need help

Dabanton

Gowans007 said:
Can't wait.

It's a bank holiday in the UK to, hopefully it we release nice an early in the morning for us :D

Yeah i'm getting up extra early just to be sure.

I want to be on the game asap on the day. :lol

Blueblur1

Shake Appeal said:
F-f-f-firefight??
I would assume the same thing. And seriously, there's no way Firefight won't be in Reach. I feel as confident about that as I felt certain that Reach's multiplayer wouldn't be class-based.

Dirtbag

Question about the vehicle damage, can you still snipe the gunner or directly damage the passengers without damaging the vehicle?

And where are the mongoose screenshots?

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
here

Great OP, Ghaleon. That's a shitload of work right there.
Thanks, that's good to hear. As soon as there's media of it, I'll add it in. In the meantime, I'll just list it. I love that thing.

Gowans007 said:
Can't wait.

It's a bank holiday in the UK to, hopefully it we release nice an early in the morning for us :D
Yeah, only realised that today. Iron Man 2 the weekend right before as well, things are panning out well.

The change to the vehicle health system is probably going to take some getting use to. I'm looking forward to finding out how it affects vehicle play in the long run.

Blueblur1

Darkflight said:
Yeah, only realised that today. Iron Man 2 the weekend right before as well, things are panning out well.
Whether you live in the States or Europe, it's going to be an awesome weekend because even if you don't get a Friends & Family invite somebody on the internet will be streaming gameplay and delicious details and anecdotes will flood this thread.

Dirtbag

Dax01 said:
The change to the vehicle health system is probably going to take some getting use to. I'm looking forward to finding out how it affects vehicle play in the long run.
I think its fine as long as I can still directly shoot exposed players for damage. It will look strange if you can't snipe the gunner off a warthog, or snipe the driver, flag carrier on a mongoose, etc..

Louis Wu

lttp, I guess, but awesome OP, Ghal. Let me know if you want some help optimizing link names/lengths, to gain a bit of extra breathing room...

That final pic is FANTASTIC.

Dirtbag said:
I think its fine as long as I can still directly shoot exposed players for damage. It will look strange if you can't snipe the gunner off a warthog, or snipe the driver, flag carrier on a mongoose, etc..

Agreed!

Nice OP Ghaleon!

Dax01 said:
Wait, how did they change it? I must have missed that.

We should probably do something about organizing gamertags and yadda yadda for the influx of people who are going to play this who don't regularly play Halo 3.

Shameless plug: there's a silver account set up for Halo players from Europe. Send a friend request to EuroHaloGAF, and once you're accepted you'll be able to see up to 100 new Eurozone Halo fans online!

Chinner

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
We should probably do something about organizing gamertags and yadda yadda for the influx of people who are going to play this who don't regularly play Halo 3.

Shameless plug: there's a silver account set up for Halo players from Europe. Send a friend request to EuroHaloGAF, and once you're accepted you'll be able to see up to 100 new Eurozone Halo fans online!
i'll add u and then we can be friends 4ever

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
lttp, I guess, but awesome OP, Ghal. Let me know if you want some help optimizing link names/lengths, to gain a bit of extra breathing room...

That final pic is FANTASTIC.
Yeah I smartened up and started using 3-4 letter file names toward the end. I think I'm okay now though.

The actual Reach thread is going to need two posts, though. Custom games, Forge, Firefight, the rest of the maps and game types....hoooo boy. :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Wait what, first of all I dont really agree with the layer of strategy thing, its pretty much the same as a normal assassination.

But why would more layers of strategy be a bad thing?

p.s. New thread up might be better to take the discussion there.

I don't understand what you're expressing here; you may have misread me.

How are they the same as a normal Ass? One is a lengthy animation leaves you open to being killed by a third party, while the other achieves the same means without the added risk.

I'm saying more layers of strategy is good. If regular melees weren't still one-hit kills, Ass would be an improvement in my book, and not as frivolous as it seems.

Gui_PT

Kimosabae said:

How are they the same as a normal Ass? One is a lengthy animation leaves you open to being killed by a third party, while the other achieves the same means without the added risk.

I'm saying more layers of strategy is good. If regular melees weren't still one-hit kills, Ass would be an improvement in my book, and not as frivolous as it seems.

They look awesome and they're fun.

What's wrong with adding something like that to the game?

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I smartened up and started using 3-4 letter file names toward the end. I think I'm okay now though.

The actual Reach thread is going to need two posts, though. Custom games, Forge, Firefight, the rest of the maps and game types....hoooo boy. :lol
Hear that, Dax? Let the man breathe, for god's sake! :lol

Great thread! Is Halo 3: ODST the only way into the beta? If so, I need to go re-buy that game because my other copy was lost by a certain someone =(

FuttBuck said:
Great thread! Is Halo 3: ODST the only way into the beta? If so, I need to go re-buy that game because my other copy was lost by a certain someone =(
They're giving out codes to long time Halo 2 players and some community members, but other than that it's really just ODST.

Najaf

assasinationElite.gif

Wow, and I thought tea-bagging looked bad.

Zeouterlimits said:
They're giving out codes to long time Halo 2 players and some community members, but other than that it's really just ODST.

Gotcha, thanks. Looks like I'll re-buy ODST, it's only $30 now anyways ><

Kimosabae said:

Oh right I get you.

To me this just seems like a 'fun' addition to the game, I know when im playing with my friends the brutality assassination is going to be pretty embarrassing. :lol

Its just there for very basic shits nd giggles. There are other areas of the game to weave depth into, modifying the overall assassination system would be a horrible thing to do in my opinion.

If you were implying that Halo 3 has no depth then :lol

Gui_PT

Najaf said:
http://ghaleon.bungie.org/reachbeta/armorother/assasinationElite.gif[IMG]

Wow, and I thought tea-bagging looked bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, these look awful
[IMG]http://ghaleon.bungie.org/reachbeta/armorother/assasinationSpartan.gif

Are you serious? How does that look bad?

Top Bottom