• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Apath

Dirtbag said:
Without a jetpack, it takes a while to get around the map, too much camping, and the corridor fighting isn't particularly fun.
SWAT on Sword Base is establish a room and camp the shit out of every entrance into it. No enemy comes for a while? Move to another room and repeat the process.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I found a new jump on Swordbase. You can get up from the lobby floor to the bridge above sniper. I thought it was only possible with sprint but you can do it without it. I also found some ledges and stuff on both maps. It's fun to try these things out when I'm playing games where people on the opposite team quit out.

Louis Wu

Oozer3993 said:
App:

http://sharebee.com/f2857c60

Source:

http://sharebee.com/d488009c

If it doesn't work for you, then that is proof that I don't know what I'm doing lol.
Would love to try this - but when I click the download link, I get a page telling me to do a survey before I can download. So I do a stupid survey. It won't let me finish until I put in my cellphone number.

There's no way in HELL I'm putting in my cellphone number.

I'd be happy to host this for you, but I'm not willing to submit to cellphone spam to get it. You can upload it to http://hbouploads.bungie.org/ if you want (send me an email or pm if you do, so I know it's there).

Wiggum2007

Trickster said:
As someone that haven't had to option to play reach yet, could someone explain why swordbase is supposedly so bad?

Judging from videoes I think it looks like a great map. The vertical design seems like a great way to make you change your playstyle, and require you to be able to aim well, as opposed to the usual straffing and moving the reticule a bit to the left and right in order to hit the other guys face.

I love the map and I'm pretty sure quite a few others here have said the same. I think the main problem with it is it's current set up and how it affects 1-flag ctf, such as the flag base only having 2 entrances, and the central grav lift allowing such quick flag caps. So it definitely seems more suited for free-for-all gametypes at the moment.

zumphry

Banned
Halo: Reach is apparently Halo 3.5, so it's Halo 3 since Halo 3 was Halo 2.5, but that'd make it Halo 2 since Halo 2 was Halo 1.5.

I think.

Wiggum2007

My screenshot contribution:

10yqiyx.jpg

Poor guy got sniped just as I hit him with a Plasma Pistol overload. :lol

Trickster

ZayneH said:
Halo: Reach is apparently Halo 3.5, so it's Halo 3 since Halo 3 was Halo 2.5, but that'd make it Halo 2 since Halo 2 was Halo 1.5.

I think.

I thought it wasn't even halo according to some people

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wu, when you open Ooozer's link, click the Rapid Share link. It'll then have links under the two speedometers labeled free user and premium. Just click free user and it should work fine. I think you clicked the big download button right on the page where he linked right? See how that works...

Sigh, selecting "Good Time" apparently gets you two teams of average players and a boring game and "Winning" gets you an opposing team all in one party who have all played more games than your team so you don't have a chance. Fun times!

I need to start joining the gaffers in my roster.

its "throw grenades: the game"
I've thought that far too often tonight:

Trickster said:
I thought it wasn't even halo according to some people

Shadowrun: Reach of Warfare 3.

Im actually really suprised Bungie didnt make it feel more like Call of Duty considering how popular that series has become. I actually give them so much more respect after considering that.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
I found a new jump on Swordbase. You can get up from the lobby floor to the bridge above sniper. I thought it was only possible with sprint but you can do it without it. I also found some ledges and stuff on both maps. It's fun to try these things out when I'm playing games where people on the opposite team quit out.
My battle bros saw me shooting the future-screens in the opps center on swordbase, then quit. So worth it.

Wiggum2007

Lunchbox said:
its "throw grenades: the game"
I think I'd be fine with the current grenade damage/radius not changing a whole lot, but instead just cutting back on number of grenades at spawn/on the map.

fin said:
Downloading now. Should I stick with Bumper Jumper?
You might have some problems with armor abilities, specifically jetpack, because I believe they are mapped to X in Bumper Jumper.

Darkflight said:
Sigh, selecting "Good Time" apparently gets you two teams of average players and a boring game and "Winning" gets you an opposing team all in one party who have all played more games than your team so you don't have a chance. Fun times!

I need to start joining the gaffers in my roster.

I've thought that far too often tonight:

xbl, minasodaboy, i've got time for one game before i grab something to eat. hit me up.

Sill4

Fuck all you guys, I want in :(

On a lighter note, I've been watching my friend broadcast the beta, and it already looks better than Halo 3. I'm really happy with what I see.

JambiBum

I like both maps. Sword base is a little bit more grenade heavy because of the tight corridors but other than that I like it now. At first I didn't because I didn't know my way around/had trouble navigating but now that I have played enough I can get around just fine.

I like powerhouse more because of the weapon choices. There is a much larger variety of weapons on that map. I think 1 flag works pretty well on that map too as long as you have a coordinated team of at least 3 guys. If you have one guy that straggles around doing nothing you can still cap the flag. As long as you have your team go through different entrances to get up to the flag room and then meet up once you get there you can confuse the defensive team to at least get the flag moving out of the base.

Magni

Oozer3993 said:
Reposting this from last night since it got kinda lost:

I whipped up a quick Java app to calculate the Arena rating. I messed around with it a little and found some weird things:

* The theoretical max is 2000, but you're never gonna get above 1844.

http://i41.tinypic.com/4loy2a.jpg[IMG]

* Similarly, you're never gonna get anywhere near 0.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ng6q2o.jpg[IMG]

* 1600 and 1700s are Tashi level

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33cou1u.jpg[IMG]

* As you can see from above, although it only docks you 4%, the loss penalty is not negligible.
* To get below 1000, you pretty much have to try to get below 1000.
* This must have some tweaks for FFA, since the max rating for FFA (players_per_team set to 1) is 1500.

App:

[url]http://sharebee.com/f2857c60[/url]

Source:

[url]http://sharebee.com/d488009c[/url]

If it doesn't work for you, then that is proof that I don't know what I'm doing lol.[/QUOTE]

Going 3-5-16 and losing [s]still gives me over 1500, wtf?[/s] 1307, I need to input correctly..

My best was 1704, 1307 my worst, and I'm doing 1550-1650 playing casually. Bring on the [spoiler]PC-disabled[/spoiler] Arena!

reach_11799_Full.jpg

There is something too fun about assassinations. They are great. Although, I do wish there was a greater variety of them, so you dont know exactly what will happen.

Self Induced said:
I don't think grenades are the problem, its just that the weapons and melee are so much less reliable than grenades, why should I shoot my wildly inaccurate gun at the guy when I can just throw a grenade at him instead?

In Halo 1-3, weapons and melee were way more reliable and effective, but if I know my pistol is going to miss half its shots because its bloom is just straight-up stupid (and if I do damage and he closes the distance to melee, all I did was waste my ammo because its still going to take two melees to kill), then why even bother with my gun if I have some grenades handy?

Grenades aren't overpowered, guns and melee just seem underpowered/less effective.
...or maybe you're underpowered.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ZayneH said:

I think.
Reach is it's own entity. Take that as you will.

Trasher

Just finally stepped into FFA for the first time.

SLAYER PRO IS AMAZING. <3

Went 25-5! :lol

Headhunter is tough stuff. Pretty chaotic. It's cool how the skulls never despawn. Can find them in all sorts of nooks and crannies after a battle has taken place.

MrDaravon

Rocket Hog seems like it might be a bit much perhaps?

Also it's really stupid, but I thought it was hysterical when he throws a grenade and he throws a Warthog :lol :lol

soldat7

Trickster said:
As someone that haven't had to option to play reach yet, could someone explain why swordbase is supposedly so bad?

It's a fine map. After suffering through the rash of bad maps in Halo 3, it's a blessing.

GhaleonEB

Impressions: the good parts edition.

I spent enough time lamenting the stuff I didn't like, enough to give everyone the impression I didn't like the game at all. Not so!

While I've ripped on Sword Base, I like Powerhouse very much. Aside from the visual style too closely resembling High Ground - it's uncanny at times - it's got a feel very much all its own. Plenty of routes through the map to and from the base, ample cover, some nice long sight lines. Best of all, it's a pleasure to use Sprint through - lots of new routes open up for some wonderful long jumps about the geometry. Snaking through the map in pursuit of the flag - on either side of it - is a joy. Powerhouse is more versatile than most maps in Halo 3 too, I think. I've had superb games of Slayer, 1-Flag CTF, Crazy King, Stockpile and Three Plots on it. It should make a great One-Bomb and Team Headhunter map.

While I don't like the feel of many of the weapons, functionally they seem well tuned. The new AR is just right, and unlike many of the other guns, it feels like a beast, even if it isn't quite one. Definitely more range than any previous iteration, with a much tighter firing cone. The distinction between the DMR and the Pistol works as advertised; even though they've got the same stopping power, they're best deployed in very different situations. The DMR is really growing on me, though I don't think we have a map ideal for it yet; Overlook and Boneyard should be more suited to it. Weapons that need tweaking include the Needler (one pop to stop, please) and the Plasma Launcher, which it does NOT need to track infantry. Carpet bombing a large area, and sending a wave of plasma mortars down a hallway is ample destruction enough.

The entire matchmaking suite is a godsend. I would like to see some tweaks to Active Roster, such as letting me see a player's in-game status without adding them to my join queue. But other than that, matchmaking is smooth, visually interesting, provides a nice way to select a host of options, and best of all is really freaking fast. Especially with the population right now, I'm very surprised at how quick the matches are.

And the netcode. Oh god the netcode. It's going to be downright painful going back to Halo 3, and I've had generally good games with that one. I have yet to have a single game I'd describe as laggy. It's the single biggest improvement in the history if improvements.

Playing as an Elite feels awesome; it feels like what playing as an Elite should feel like: powerful, fast, agile and dangerous. I'd like to see more than just Covy Slayer (should be "Covies", BTW) - toss in Covy King of the Hill and Covy Stockpile, please.

And I'm learning to adjust to the feel. It still doesn't "feel" good or natural to me, in ways the rest of the series does. It feels, frankly, like Shadowrun, and I did NOT like the feel of that game. But I'm adjusting.

Also, I take back what I said about not making the Reach thread. Already had plans and I'd like to see'em through. Knee-jerk reactions and overtired late night posting FTL.

ZZMitch

Anyone have a good video of a full game? Any game type is fine, I would just like to see a full game, from start to finish.

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
Aside from the visual style too closely resembling High Ground - it's uncanny at times - it's got a feel very much all its own.

This goes back to my argument of why in the world make it look so much like High Ground? At least change the color of the rocks or make it have blue vegetation or something. Otherwise, it's an excellent map.

IJoel

It's interesting to read impressions from the halo mp faithful here. It seems to be all over the place. As a casual, and terrible, halo mp player (though I love sp!), I find myself having a lot of fun with the game. I'd say it's more accessible, but hard to master.

Some random thoughts:
- As some have suggested, reticule is hard to spot in some cases
- Absolutely love the loadouts idea. Would like it even more if it had more variety/customization. I suppose Invasion will do this.
- Territories, and Oddball are my favorite modes. I feel I have 2 left hands every time I play Covy Slayer. The first time I played Stockpile I was utterly confused as to what I needed to do (had to go to Bungie's web page to read on it).
- Leveling mechanism is brilliant. Menus are very good. Again, as others have mentioned, the results page could use some additions; mainly medal display (unless I'm missing this).
- I'm disappointed at the lack of variety in team sizes. I suppose Bungie will open up more options during the Beta, and of course, at release time. Would be amazing if they could have 8 vs. 8 with additional bots for each team.
- Assassinations are very satisfying.
- This might be just me, but the plasma rifle feels underpowered.
- That video of Luke playing is so very deceitful! Makes it all look so easy.

StUnNeR H2K

I getting destroyed on some games, and honestly not playing that well... kind of tired of the same two maps, but I'm still having a blast :D

Tons more fun then Halo 3 multiplayer... each weapon has it's own unique satisfaction to getting a kill with!

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Impressions: the good parts edition.

I spent enough time lamenting the stuff I didn't like, enough to give everyone the impression I didn't like the game at all. Not so!

While I've ripped on Sword Base, I like Powerhouse very much. Aside from the visual style too closely resembling High Ground - it's uncanny at times - it's got a feel very much all its own. Plenty of routes through the map to and from the base, ample cover, some nice long sight lines. Best of all, it's a pleasure to use Sprint through - lots of new routes open up for some wonderful long jumps about the geometry. Snaking through the map in pursuit of the flag - on either side of it - is a joy. Powerhouse is more versatile than most maps in Halo 3 too, I think. I've had superb games of Slayer, 1-Flag CTF, Crazy King, Stockpile and Three Plots on it. It should make a great One-Bomb and Team Headhunter map.

While I don't like the feel of many of the weapons, functionally they seem well tuned. The new AR is just right, and unlike many of the other guns, it feels like a beast, even if it isn't quite one. Definitely more range than any previous iteration, with a much tighter firing cone. The distinction between the DMR and the Pistol works as advertised; even though they've got the same stopping power, they're best deployed in very different situations. The DMR is really growing on me, though I don't think we have a map ideal for it yet; Overlook and Boneyard should be more suited to it. Weapons that need tweaking include the Needler (one pop to stop, please) and the Plasma Launcher, which it does NOT need to track infantry. Carpet bombing a large area, and sending a wave of plasma mortars down a hallway is ample destruction enough.

The entire matchmaking suite is a godsend. I would like to see some tweaks to Active Roster, such as letting me see a player's in-game status without adding them to my join queue. But other than that, matchmaking is smooth, visually interesting, provides a nice way to select a host of options, and best of all is really freaking fast. Especially with the population right now, I'm very surprised at how quick the matches are.

And the netcode. Oh god the netcode. It's going to be downright painful going back to Halo 3, and I've had generally good games with that one. I have yet to have a single game I'd describe as laggy. It's the single biggest improvement in the history if improvements.

Playing as an Elite feels awesome; it feels like what playing as an Elite should feel like: powerful, fast, agile and dangerous. I'd like to see more than just Covy Slayer (should be "Covies", BTW) - toss in Covy King of the Hill and Covy Stockpile, please.

And I'm learning to adjust to the feel. It still doesn't "feel" good or natural to me, in ways the rest of the series does. It feels, frankly, like Shadowrun, and I did NOT like the feel of that game. But I'm adjusting.

Also, I take back what I said about not making the Reach thread. Already had plans and I'd like to see'em through. Knee-jerk reactions and overtired late night posting FTL.
Lemme add to this:

The animation, advancement systems (credits, armory, commendations, etc.) and sound design are all superb.

Top Bottom