• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
That's the story of my day, I'm trying to get my last thoughts on it.
I can honestly say that this beta is among the most disappointing halo moments for me. It actually outranks the halo 2 campaign for me since the multiplayer is my main draw.

Idiots like yourself wrapping up criticisms in simple little packages for your simple understanding.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Dirtbag

I wonder if MLG will even allow the pistol given the bloom.
Would be kind of funny that after all this time they've been wanting the gun back, and then the bloom goes and makes it more random then ever. I can't see MLG allowing the pistol spam to play such a big part in their gametypes.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Shrinnan said:
As long as you save your games they will not be erased from the Beta right? They don't have to be uploaded to your file share, correct?

I hate quoting myself but it's the last day of the Beta and if I'm wrong then I would have a short time to go through saved full films and make clips out of them to upload to my file share.

Speaking of which, if the saved films are not deleted when the Beta ends (and you don't have to save them by uploading them to your file share) will you be able to go back to them during the release of Reach and make clips of the full Beta games that you saved?

Also, Invasion is definitely much improved. The balancing between the Elites and Spartans are tighter and, even though it is harder for the Elites to win (it should be because they are attacking), the Spartans do not have as big an advantage as they previously did and winning as the Elites is totally possible now.

Long story short: Invasion went from one of my most hated gametypes to one of my favorite. I think it could still use a bit more balancing, but it's definitely on its way to becoming something special. I like more originality like that in Halo because I think Halo is one of the unique games where original games can be made that cannot be made in games like Call of Duty.

I also won as the Spartans in Spartans vs. Elites twice. The Elites are definitely overpowered when it's a straight fight, but the Elites are not *that* overpowered. The power in Elites is in endurance, not so much in a first encounter - where Spartans need to find health packs, elites do not. The speed of the Elites is kind of offset by how big they are as that makes them an easier target.

GhaleonEB

I rendered a few clips of my daughter playing earlier tonight, and three of the four rendered right away. The last one has been stuck in progress for half an hour, now well past the estimated completion time. I'm afraid to go to bed since she really wanted this clip, and I won't have time in the morning to try and re-record and upload it. Arg.

Edit: yay, it finished up.
Shrinnan said:
I hate quoting myself but it's the last day of the Beta and if I'm wrong then I would have a short time to go through saved full films and make clips out of them to upload to my file share.
From the last page:

GhaleonEB said:
PSA

Per the OXM podcast: you will NOT be able to access the Theater in the Beta after the Beta ends, if you turn your 360 off. Once the beta ends and you shut down, you lose access to the Beta. Render those videos while you can.

Striker

StUnNeR H2K said:
Your not alone... I loved the beta. I know they will change somethings, but I really hope they keep things very close to how they are. Probably the most enjoyable Halo experience I have had since Halo CE.
2di3voo.jpg

The Reach Pistol has tons of potential, and makes forcing a "BR-start" render unnecessary. Going from a dual wielding SMG to a weak AR and now for a Pistol... definitely a step up in that department. Already "Fixed for Fall", the transparent targeting, so in short it is already better. The final game is heavily intriguing in terms of playlist structure, co-op campaign, and map unveils.

I'm ready to let go.

I uploaded my best game from Invasion. Little bit of everything. Pistol kills, DMR kills, Needler Kills, AR kills, double kills, Kill Frenzy, Assassination, killed a wraith with a sticky.

Nice memento from the Beta. :D

Definitely looking forward to the full game.

Blueblur1

Ramirez said:
So basically everyone hates it and hopes the final game is better? :p
I feel that way more or less. It's not a bad game per se. It's just not the Halo game I was expecting. I'm not sure that I'll really dig into come this fall and onward like I did with Halo 1, 2 & 3. I'll give it a shot but I'm not really too optimistic about it.

So i was playing invasion, i was an elite in a banshee... the game lagged and i got sent to the back of the map with no banshee, with only an AR and i had sprint... i had sprint and i was an elite....

Lazslo

dilatedmuscle said:
So i was playing invasion, i was an elite in a banshee... the game lagged and i got sent to the back of the map with no banshee, with only an AR and i had sprint... i had sprint and i was an elite....
If you have the clip I'll render it for you, I would love to see this...

Ssparks said:
If you have the clip I'll render it for you, I would love to this...

Damn i didnt save the clip. it was really hard to notice he was sprinting from a third person perspective, he just moved slightly faster then normal. shouldve saved it anyways so u could see it in first person. damn.

GloveSlap

I heard people talking about Call Of Duty players liking Reach. Does anyone actually know COD players that do? All of my COD friends hate the beta, more than even Halo 3. From my experience, most COD players complain that you move to slow and it takes too many bullets to kill someone in the Halo series. Reach is worse in both those regards so it winning over any substantial amount of COD players is something i just don't see happening. Edit- I am talking about the COD players that typically only play COD or other realistic military shooters.

So then it comes down to who Bungie is actually making this game for. Most non-Halo fans aren't going to play it for long and it has seemed to divide even Halo fans to a huge degree. Hell, a large amount of the Halo people on my friends list already went back to Halo 3 over the past week and a half. That is just sad. The general player online numbers for the beta have been really low as well lately.

Hopefully Bungie can take the feedback that has been given and make something that more people are happy with. It is going to take a huge amount of re-tooling though.

GloveSlap said:
I heard people talking about Call Of Duty players liking Reach. Does anyone actually know COD players that do? All of my COD friends hate the beta, more than even Halo 3. From my experience, most COD players complain that you move to slow and it takes too many bullets to kill someone in the Halo series. Reach is worse in both those regards so it winning over any substantial amount of COD players is something i just don't see happening.

I love both.

EazyB

Banned
GloveSlap said:
So then it comes down to who Bungie is actually making this game for.

I don't think they were trying to win over CoD fans with their changes. The limited loadouts and sprint are reminiscent of some aspects of the CoD series but not at all a pull for their fanbase.

I think all the changes were made with the thought that they'd:
1) Expand upon what makes Halo's gameplay great to keep current Halo fans.
2) Offer something new and different for the series that would keep things fresh for those growing tired or have already grown tired of the series during the past 10 years.

In my view, where they failed is in #1 during the pursuit of #2. They took several key aspects of Halo's gameplay and gimped them on several fronts simply for the sake of making something different. There are substantial additions upon the existing Halo formula that I don't take issue with (AA and weapon loadouts) but they've diverged in other areas that at the very least I don't think were necessary and in most cases hurt the game overall. From the admittedly limited amount I've read in this sliver of the Halo playerbase I've gathered that the split comes more from these divergences and less from the additions. There are many reasonably small things we'd like to see tweaked about the new things added, but this new route changes so many fundamental aspects of Halo that the hope of it ever being "fixed" is nearly non-existent this late in the development cycle.

My full, probably too comprehensive, thoughts on the beta are nearly complete. I'll probably post them whenever I have the chance but I'm pretty busy and I'm not sure very many will read it but so be it.

zewone

I love how all these people that hate the beta so much have been posting in this thread for weeks trying to convince everyone else having fun that they shouldn't be having fun. :lol

zewone said:
I love how all these people that hate the beta so much have been posting in this thread for weeks trying to convince everyone else having fun that they shouldn't be having fun. :lol

yeah, it's pretty amusing to watch

WJD

zewone said:

Just like how the people that enjoy the Beta are constantly posting here ridiculing any claims that the people that dislike it make, saying it's a perfect game and they have no right to express their opinions and make criticisms? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

EazyB

Banned
zewone said:
One could easily say the complete opposite
and come off just as idiotically.

The vast majority of the posts here have been people giving their impressions of the beta and their feelings about how Bungie could improve their experience.

If anything your post comes off more like someone being butthurt that people don't agree with their opinion than any other post in the thread.

Don't worry kid, the feedback given in this thread won't singlehandedly have any significant effect on what you've clearly enjoyed and so insecurely feel is threatened.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
zewone said:
lol, here we go. Butthurt indeed.

What exactly are you getting at? If you fancy calling someone out, have the cajones and do it properly, otherwise just shut it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Deal with it.

WJD

Dax01 said:
Did you even read the article? I guess not.

"Updates and New Content"

I don't really see what they can update about books that have been written for god knows how long, it's not a bloody biography!

I'm going to assume any updates made would be minimal at best and hardly worth "double-dipping" or whatever it's called. It doesn't help that the article says sweet F all about said updates either. Just sounds like a re-release intended to go alongside the game...

zewone

Dani said:
What exactly are you getting at? If you fancy calling someone out, have the cajones and do it properly, otherwise just shut it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Deal with it.
There's no certain individual. Shut it and/or deal with it.

WJD said:

I don't really see what they can update about books that have been written for god knows how long, it's not a bloody biography!

I'm going to assume any updates made would be minimal at best and hardly worth "double-dipping" or whatever it's called. It doesn't help that the article says sweet F all about said updates either. Just sounds like a re-release intended to go alongside the game...
You're trying hard to make this as unexciting as possible, aren't you?

Doesn't matter! Still bought.:D :D :D

EazyB

Banned
WJD said:

"The chief and his gang stumbled upon what looked to be a large cluster of purple nests. Suddenly, with a deafening bakaaw a swarm of what appeared to be big Bird clones surrounded the team of spartans. The quickly drew out their magnums and began firing at these strange beasts. Little did they know that after the first shot their magnum's bullets trajectory would go haywire and lead to a spartan being struck down by a surprised and frustrated Master Chief. Fearing there was only one desperate way out of this assault he drew out a grenade, pulled the pin, and tossed it into the feathered swarm. He turned to escape the blast radius but couldn't get over an impeding guardrail. The grenade detonated, whipping out birds but a long with it the entire Marine base. Luckily, MC had struck an awesome pose and armor locked the instant the grenade went off. He hoped into a warthog to relay the sad news but had to walk the rest of the way once it nicked a rock and burst into flames."

Crunched said:
Vocal detractors, horrified that this isn't Halo 3.

God I hate this generalization, Bungie.net forums are full of it, ive been lurking there and anyone who expresses an opinion other than the Beta is great is greeted by:

- Lol lern 2 adapt noob.
or
- Lol no more BR go cry mooore

People dont like some of the changes because of theyre effects on gameplay, not because they wanted Halo 3. Reach without reticule bloom and better movement would probably be my ideal game.

EazyB said:
One could easily say the complete opposite
and come off just as idiotically.

The vast majority of the posts here have been people giving their impressions of the beta and their feelings about how Bungie could improve their experience.

If anything your post comes off more like someone being butthurt that people don't agree with their opinion than any other post in the thread.

Yeah posting feedback about a beta is pretty stupid of us, sorry guys! :lol

P.S. Eazy to write next Halo novel, get on it 343!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
"The chief and his gang stumbled upon what looked to be a large cluster of purple nests. Suddenly, with a deafening bakaww a swarm of what appeared to be big Bird clones surrounded the team of spartans. The quickly drew out their magnums and began firing at these strange beasts. Little did they know that after the first shot their magnum's bullets trajectory would go haywire and lead to a spartan being struck down by a surprised and frustrated Master Chief. Fearing there was only one desperate way out of this assault he drew out a grenade, pulled the pin, and tossed it into the feathered swarm. He turned to escape the blast radius but couldn't get over an impeding guardrail. The grenade detonated, whipping out birds but a long with it the entire Marine base. Luckily, MC had struck an awesome pose and armor locked the instant the grenade went off. He hoped into a warthog to relay the sad news but had to walk the rest of the way once it nicked a rock and burst into flames."

:lol

Would love to hear why the Spartans weren't outfitted with "Armour Abilities" for the critical mission that required every single remaining Spartan II. You'd think they give the Spartans the best experimental tech around.

"Chief, all of our experimental prototype technology was left behind on Reach. Sorry, we forgot to pack it."​

Dani said:
:lol

Would love to hear why the Spartans weren't outfitted with "Armour Abilities" for the critical mission that required every single remaining Spartan II. You'd think they give the Spartans the best experimental tech around.

"Chief, all of our experimental prototype technology was left behind on Reach. Sorry, we forgot to pack it."​

I get the feeling even Noble team doesnt know about that stuff, I guess early on when the invasion starts we will be ushered to some secret facility and get to try out the armour abilities under the guise of a training mission.

MrDaravon

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah posting feedback about a beta is pretty stupid of us, sorry guys! :lol

The problem is that some people insist on posting the same shit over and over and over and over drawing the rest of the thread into fucking inane circular arguments for hundreds of posts. Yes, I understand why some people don't like certain aspects, and I understand why and agree with some of it myself; but some people are just shitting the thread up with the same complaints for literally weeks. I haven't been posting because every time I wanted to post it was in the middle of same 3-page argument about people arguing why other people's opinions are wrong. I can't remember who it was, but they were right; go back and look at the Halo 3 Beta thread and how nice everyone was to each other, and look at how much of a dick half of this thread is to each other. It's honestly fucking shameful considering how devoted of a Halo community this group usually is. I'm done.

Blueblur1

zewone said:
Lead Based Paint said:
yeah, it's pretty amusing to watch
Damn, you guys are so funny.

If you have nothing to contribute then don't post and if you do post try not to make your posts antagonizing as hell. You know, like you both just did.

SailorDaravon said:
The problem is that some people insist on posting the same shit over and over and over and over drawing the rest of the thread into fucking inane circular arguments for hundreds of posts. Yes, I understand why some people don't like certain aspects, and I understand why and agree with some of it myself; but some people are just shitting the thread up with the same complaints for literally weeks. I haven't been posting because every time I wanted to post it was in the middle of same 3-page argument about people arguing why other people's opinions are wrong. I can't remember who it was, but they were right; go back and look at the Halo 3 Beta thread and how nice everyone was to each other, and look at how much of a dick half of this thread is to each other. It's honestly fucking shameful considering how devoted of a Halo community this group usually is. I'm done.
I hate to say it, but 'this'.

SailorDaravon said:

Yeah fair enough, I do actually agree, and as someone who has done a fair amount of posting I apologise.

As for the whole devoted as a community thing though - posting feedback is being so much more devoted than not saying anything. I cant speak for everyone but I post because I care and want the final game to be that much better, complaining about bloom at this stage is meaningless though so yeah ive probably cluttered up the thread with plenty of that.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just imagine, years down the line the bloom argument will be brought up yet again and will be continued to be brought up until Halo 4's "big issue". Not a pleasant thought.

Not that there's no truth in any of the arguments, there is, but debating and arguing over a system that isn't open to change isn't productive.

Anyways, updated Halo fiction. Excellent. I'm all for retcons. I understand the necessity and how difficult it is to implement them. I trust both Nyland and 343 fully to make appropriate changes.

As a Star Wars fiction fan, I'm used to retcons and I'm thankful that the Haloverse isn't being as ham-fisted as the Star Wars universe is.

If Halo was Star Wars, Karen Traviss would be rage quitting after Frankie mandated a retcon that invalided her upcoming ODST novel, fifth in her series of novels about how ODST's are better than Spartans.

I dont understand why people aren't liking it. This is exactly what i wanted, something different enough from Halo3 to get me playing again and not have it feel like Halo3, with new maps. I don't want Halo3 with new maps! Thats what COD does every year and im completely fed up of that franchise. I like this game. Although i expected better graphics, overall, im very satisfied.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Silly.Mikey said:
I dont understand why people aren't liking it. This is exactly what i wanted

You =/= everyone. People had certain expectations that were not met or simply they found issue with the changes. The fact that die hard Halo fans are polarised on specific heated issues should give you a good idea.

Silly.Mikey said:
I dont understand why people aren't liking it. This is exactly what i wanted, something different enough from Halo3 to get me playing again and not have it feel like Halo3, with new maps. I don't want Halo3 with new maps! Thats what COD does every year and im completely fed up of that franchise. I like this game. Although i expected better graphics, overall, im very satisfied.
Ok, one more time.
Listen very, very carefully.
Most people here don't want another Halo 3.
Most people here love most of the new features of Reach, but do not agree with some of the new features. They even keep playing because they are having fun, but say that it could be a lot better with some adjustments. Which is actually one of the points of the beta, mind blown? So if people here stop complaining about people that are complaining over people that are complaining and stop complaining about people that complain about things they already have been complaining about, and those people actually stop complaining about things they already complained about, everything is gonna be fine.

Well i for one am glad that Bungie is taking risks and changing things up a little bit. If all Halo fans want is the same game over and over again, then im glad that Bungie don't listen to them. And u know what, no offense to anyone in MLG, but I hate those simplistic, symmetrical basic maps that they use. Keep up the good work Bungie!

vhfive

Oh wow, people are arguing over a major change in the Halo gameplay, big surprise. This is the beta thread people what the fuck do you expect to be in here.

For the record I'm not anti-bloom, I'm anti-pistol. I actually quite like the DMR. It's the ridiculous bloom for the pistol I dislike because It makes it inconsistent. (yea yea I know "learn to shoot scrub") In Halo 3 I know when my shot is off and my BR is going a little crazy. In Reach I'm not always sure if its me or the bloom that's fucking me up and it can get frustrating. Sometimes I kill someone in a matter of seconds, other times it take 2 clips. The problem is I can get both of those results by doing the exact same thing.

That being said the only thing Bungie needs to do to guarantee that I'll play this as much as Halo 3 is bump the jumping height back up. Seriously just let me jump around like a fool and I'll be happy.

bloom is the new "AR vs BR" get use to it bitches

Louis Wu

Looks like no retconning happening. From Halo Waypoint's Facebook page:

Halo Waypoint said:
For a little clarity: These reissues will be the first time Tor has published any of the first three Halo novels (Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike). As such, they are making an effort to bring the visual ID of each of the books more closely inline with the titles they have published (Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, Halo Evolutions) in an effort to give the Halo library a consistant visual presence (hence the new cover art and cover design).

In addition, Tor has gone through each of the books to clean out any small missteps that may have slipped through in previous printings (typos,errors in punctuation, etc.), which address the edits.

As for "new content?" The original story has NOT been altered. If that were the case "new content" would have been listed as "rewritten," which is not the case.

These reissues will be a great way for those unfamiliar with Halo fiction to dive into this incredibly rich universe, while offering those fans who wish to add these reissues to their collection a little something new by providing some additional value, both visually and in terms of fictionally relevant content, to the books.
Thought some folks might be interested in this.

Top Bottom