• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
After playing Uncaged again I have to say the improvements just aren't enough to salvage it. The displacement of certain weapons and health pickups are certainly welcome and the altered layout is an improvement but the map just flows exactly the same way. It's too easy for one team to dominate using the same old issues The Cage had.

Although Uncaged is markedly improved from The Cage, I think it's still poop.

Striker

What hurt is it to add those Lockout and Warlock levels from that Forge World vidoc into the Community Slayer playlist, as it's basically a tryout?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well add Chimaera to the shitty forge maps list, the spawns are literally broken, I spawned in the same time literally like 10 times while enemies are just staring us down.

zumphry

Banned
New maps look cool, but I'd rather see 5 maps with 3/5 or 4/5 of them being MM maps. Anyway, the one shot with the Ghost on High-Lands gave me a really nice flashback to Halo (Halo 1).

Nice find, Dani.

would this post be better suited for Dax's thread, or what?

Blueblur1 said:
So which of these new maps is the FF one?

Unearthed

unearthed.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blueblur1 said:
Sweet, it's not the other one. But wait, that looks a lot like Boneyard. They must be re-using a ton of assets then... :mad:
Kinda like when they took several areas of the campaign and had be multiplayer maps. Or in the case of Reflection, took a multiplayer map and made it a campaign area. :|

Plywood said:
Kinda like when they took several areas of the campaign and had be multiplayer maps. Or in the case of Reflection, took a multiplayer map and made it a campaign area. :|
I'm pretty sure all they were all multiplayer maps first and then integrated into the campaign.

Dani said:
Can you say that about Boneyard and Spire with a straight face?
:|

Yes. A straight face fueled by disappointment.
Because bad maps aren't funny. They're sad.

Either way, I was just relaying what we were told by Bungie.

zumphry

Banned
Heh. 2x Score Attack is really, really fun. I must've misread the BWU since I went into the match thinking it'd be hard and wound up with no deaths.

Still trying to find the new MM map variants on B.net..hopefully this week's update will link to them (or I should actually go into matchmaking for once to get them).

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, Bungie has said Boneyard was the exception - it was a campaign space adapted into an Invasion map. It definitely shows.
"Oooo look at this huge space I can fight in"
"oh wait how about I just beeline it through the middle in 15 seconds instead"
:/

Also reflection felt really out of place as well.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
"Oooo look at this huge space I can fight in"
"oh wait how about I just beeline it through the middle in 15 seconds instead"

Also reflection felt really out of place as well.
Yeah. It's what I think of as a fish barrel encounter: tons of dudes dumped into a big area, you get the high ground and lots of ammo for long range weapons and clean them up while they can't do anything in response. That entire, massive area is two of them, one on each side. So much of that area goes unused, in both MP and campaign.

It's a Firefight Challenge day. Those days are the best.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
It's a Firefight Challenge day. Those days are the best.

You know where I can get the vehicle kills?

The playlists are completely different so I don't know where to do that =\

Striker said:
What hurt is it to add those Lockout and Warlock levels from that Forge World vidoc into the Community Slayer playlist, as it's basically a tryout?

None theres absolutely no fucking reason. Unless of course they are looking through them all for a Vintage Halo Map playlist. Which if we never see in Reach, well... Shishka'd!

Gui_PT

Happy B-day Dax.

This destroy 10 vehicles challenge wasn't well planned. It's super hard to get with the new FF playlists =(

krakov

Gui_PT said:
Happy B-day Dax.

This destroy 10 vehicles challenge wasn't well planned. It's super hard to get with the new FF playlists =(

Does the banshee on Holdout count? I think it shows up in Score Attack at least.

Gui_PT

krakov said:
Does the banshee on Holdout count? I think it shows up in Score Attack at least.

Probably does. I'll check it in a while.

Edit: Apparently you don't get to choose from any of the maps anymore. You get like 5 choices and some of them are repeated maps, so I didn't get holdout.

The fuck bungie.

Kuroyume

Banned
The thing that I don't understand regarding the Lockout and Warlock forge maps is that for some reason they refuse to answer why they won't add them.

Happy Birthday Dax!

To make this post vaguely Halo related, I really hope theres a vintage Halo map playlist, that would be awesome, and quite frankly I dont know why it hasnt already happened. I guess they just don't have the resources to test that many forge maps though.

If there was no such thing as copyright protection and if I was Bungie, I would be putting remakes of all the classic maps from all the classic games in lol.

squidhands said:
Happy Birthday, Dax! How far away are you from being able to drink legally?
I'm 19 today. =P

Thanks squid, Gui, and Bobs.

I gotta say, I do like a lot more of the maps in the community playlist than any other in a long while. I like Treasury...and other maps to which I do not know the name. lol

Gui_PT

krakov said:
Didn't seem to count unfortunately.

It does. I just got 3 banshees

Just get the laser or sniper and wait for them to fly around.(yes apparently you get weapon drops on score attack now)

krakov

Gui_PT said:
It does. I just got 3 banshees

Just get the laser or sniper and wait for them to fly around.(yes apparently you get weapon drops on score attack now)

Regular score attack I guess?
I got two of them in 2x but it didn't count for the challenge, every other challenge worked though. Too bad they sometimes get stuck somewhere where you can't see them.

Gui_PT

krakov said:
Regular score attack I guess?
I got two of them in 2x but it didn't count for the challenge, every other challenge worked though. Too bad they sometimes get stuck somewhere where you can't see them.

That shouldn't make a difference, but yes, got it in regular Score Attack.

Let's hope it wasn't some sort of a bug :lol

Edit:

I just did it again and it didn't count. I am confuse.

Fyrewulf found some really cool stuff about Bro Slayer.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1050911

The parent gametype for this is Team Slayer, and actually not Invasion. So it seems that Bungie can enable Invasion-style spawning in any gametype via script.

You set the backfield spawns by using the bro_loc_spawn label. Here's the thing.. that label didn't ship with the original game! So Bungie does in fact have the ability to add new labels with new gametypes. You will usually be applying this label to the Hill Marker objective. You do need to be forging with the Bro Slayer gametype to get the label.

This also means that unless you forge a map to support it, no map supports Bro Slayer by default. It will have to be added to every single Forgetacular submission that makes it to matchmaking, for example, if Bungie wants to have the gametype in Community Slayer. (One would think any future DLC would have default support for it, however)

The gametype only supports Red vs Blue. Sorry, no Multibro Slayer.

Fun things you can do with Bro Slayer

The label bro_loc_spawn can be applied to ANY object, and if you set that object to Game Specific, it will only show up in Bro Slayer. This is of very limited use though, but..

You can apply it to vehicles. So say you have a Falcon, Scorpion, or Mongoose. If you apply the label to any of these vehicles, you can drive them around and people can spawn on them! On certain vehicles you get sort of a neat undercarriage view as they move along. The Scorpion's is pretty neat and could have some use for machinima, the Banshee's is pretty well done. The ghost will just give you a black screen, it seems to depend on what counts as the vehicle's "origin" point in-game. Special note: applying this label to the vehicle makes it invincible.

You can apply it to the golf ball / soccerball. The camera view works great on these objects for selecting it as a spawn, and players can easily move the ball around to move the spawn. What about a gametype where Blue team can launch the golf ball over a wall to spawn inside of Red's base? Yeah, that'd be a bit more fun and useful for CTF or Assault, but it does have some pretty good possibilities.

You can apply it to armor abilities. Apply the label to an on-map armor ability. If an enemy picks up that armor ability, you can spawn on them and assassinate them! HAUNTED ARMOR ABILITIES! Apply it to armor lock! Make a gametype where Red Team are all forced to pick up an AA and have a single life, and the single person on the other team can spawn on them. Don't stay close to each other...

You can apply it to a killball! Okay, you shouldn't apply it to a killball.

I love the idea of making an AA BRO spawnable, heh.

Dax01 said:
I'm 19 today. =P

Thanks squid, Gui, and Bobs.

I gotta say, I do like a lot more of the maps in the community playlist than any other in a long while. I like Treasury...and other maps to which I do not know the name. lol
Happy Birhtday, Dax.

Oh. I'll be 19 in 7months. Oh yeah I'm allowed to drink.

Firefight Day is nice. Today I can do all the challenges.

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
Happy Birthday Dax!

To make this post vaguely Halo related, I really hope theres a vintage Halo map playlist, that would be awesome, and quite frankly I dont know why it hasnt already happened. I guess they just don't have the resources to test that many forge maps though.

If there was no such thing as copyright protection and if I was Bungie, I would be putting remakes of all the classic maps from all the classic games in lol.
Its (planned) to come in March.

Gui_PT

Score Attack is a MESS:

The options you get are awful.
You no longer get to cycle through all the maps before choosing something

And if someone from Bungie is reading this:

The "destroy vehicles" challenge isn't working properly.

You have to kill them in a very specific way...

If you die as soon as the vehicle explodes, it doesn't count.

Sometimes I board them to stick a grenade and it doesn't count.

It also doesn't seem to count with a few weapons.

This seriously needs a fix

zumphry

Banned
Happy birthday, Dax!

squidhands said:
Here's a link to the gametype if anyone wants to start messing around with it.

Thanks!

Do you have the new map variants/updates from matchmaking that supports Bro Slayer and Invasion Skirmish in your recent history, by any chance?

krakov said:

Spirits on Corvette drop off Wraiths in RocketFight now. Probably other maps like Beachhead and Overlook too.

Sordid

Is there anything stopping Bungie from making it a whole screen of options in Score Attack to save the hassle of waiting for your preferred gametype? Only 3 options at a time is pretty rubbish when you're the only one voting.

ZayneH said:
Thanks!

Do you have the new map variants/updates from matchmaking that supports Bro Slayer and Invasion Skirmish in your recent history, by any chance?
No, I haven't had the time to play the gametype yet. I had to do some digging on bnet to find it. Now my hands smell like Optimatch, bleh...

by the way, the search function on bnet is entirely horrible.

zumphry

Banned
squidhands said:
No, I haven't had the time to play the gametype yet. I had to do some digging on bnet to find it. Now my hands smell like Optimatch, bleh...

by the way, the search function on bnet is entirely horrible.

Ah, yeah. I've been searching since Tuesday for the new map updates and gametypes on b.net, but it seems they haven't put up there for all I know.

Hey You said:
Saw that video. Le maps, excusez ma francais, vous êtes genial!
Ja, die Karten, dies muss ich mit einer lauten Stimme sagen, sind wundervoll in Sachen Grafik.

I hope Bungie will be doing commentary gameplay again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hypertrooper said:
Ja, die Karten, dies muss ich mit einer lauten Stimme sagen, sind wundervoll in Sachen Grafik.

I hope Bungie will be doing commentary gameplay again.

Qka? A po di me flet shqip?

Top Bottom