• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Kibbles

wwm0nkey said:
Ended up being a bunch of BS. Sad to admit I fell for that BS :/
Just because it wasn't revealed today, doesn't mean it's BS. It's apprantley in the files, and 343 teased that they are showing "the map" at Comic-Con, and revealing it soon ("whenever they feel like it") whatever that means. I guess "the map" could just be one of the 3 maps in the map pack, but why would they call it "the map"?

Allllright... Second times a charm, right?

Here is the video for the Unearthed BROLL.

YouTube

1kihTl.jpg

Processing still, so give it a bit if you want HQ.

MrBig

Devin Olsen said:
I am pretty sure there isn't a main menu.map... .map files are for only maps. The main menu could easily be changed without a title update.

I THINK.

** I say this with certainty because they change play lists/names all the time. But perhaps because that is fetched off the server it is different.
the .map file is just a container, and in this case (and for all Halos) it's used for the main menu as well. Every single file and reference would need to be updated. They'd need to add abilities to check for the new armor for it to work (which they've already said they can't do). Even getting that far is assuming they would get passed the patching dilemma of delivering it to everybody (it would be over the 4(?)mb limit of xbl title updates).

The model for the helmet could very well be on the new map files, but no one will be able to use it without modding.

Kibbles said:
343 teased that they are showing "the map" at Comic-Con, and revealing it soon ("whenever they feel like it") whatever that means. I guess "the map" could just be one of the 3 maps in the map pack, but why would they call it "the map"?

via HBO:

The 343i staff confirmed that "the map" simply refers to one of the three. They just haven't picked which one yet! Be sure to stop by the forums and tell them which on you want to play!

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1053634

I Finally received verification after almost a 6 month wait. I've joined the occasional HaloGaf custom or matchmaking romp every now and then (Remember me? No? It's cool...). I'm excited to be here... Really.

Now where's that forge thread...

The new maps look absolutely fantastic by the way. My 800 msp, body, etc; are Ready.

Kibbles

Cocopjojo said:
Out of sheer curiosity, could you (or anyone else) provide a source for this?
I thought I saw it on Se7ensins, where I originally found the leak, looking it up now...

Ah, upon searching I found that the 343 article was changed with "And by due time, I mean as soon as we've decided which one of the three Defiant maps we're going to let your Spartan explore. Stay tuned!" Oddly enough, they were confused about it originally too, not mentioning the alleged forge world map. So I guess there is no new map reveal? =( Maybe the Covy Forge World thing was made up then. I guess I believed it since that site is a shithole filled with devkit/jtag modders. Still looking for what I saw before though.

[edit] Found one thread about it. Also talks about new armors, which we see one in the screenshots today, could be a lucky guess?
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/top...hl__+forge++world__fromsearch__1#entry3030886
I have alot of info about the map packs and upcoming packs.
All of the map packs.
Defiant Map Pack-3 maps (Made by 343)
Noble Map Pack-3 maps (Made by Bungie)
Mythic Map Pack-3 maps and another Forge World Map based off of The 8th mission of halo 3. (Made by 343)A flood themed open area version of cortana.
Here is a leaked video of the map Condemned.(Defiant maps)

There will also be an upcoming update that will patch most of the problems Reach has been facing. See you guys, bungie does listen. The information was from the bungie community manager at a recent PAX Conference.

Info on Armor DLC.
They will be adding 10 new achievements.
5 of which you complete will unlock armor and 1 armor effect.
Armors:
Rogue
Peref
YuSefy
Hayabusa
The armor effect will cost 50,000 credits and will require a bungie.net account to unlock the new vidmaster achievements.
Someone faked being a 343 employee in one of the videos, so anything these people say can be made up >_> Just hoping and dreaming I guess.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the Unearthed video, Devin. Looks similar in concept to Lost Platoon and Waterfront: a central space for infantry with multiple levels, and with enemies dropped off along the outside. There's a lot more room to roam than I was expecting, both for vehicles and in the size of the central structure.

Looks like a very solid design. I'm already looking forward to Score Attack on it.

Kind of disappointed the vehicle palette is Rocket Hog/Ghost/Wraith, though. I strongly prefer the way the regular Hog plays.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SomeOneInaHat said:
Thanks

*prepares map for debut*

ISHTA! ISHTA!

Sorry I didn't respond to your message, shit's gone crazy at my house between midterms and my son's second birthday party.

Mosey on over to my Gears 3 GDC thread, shit exploded today.

Kibbles said:
I thought I saw it on Se7ensins, where I originally found the leak, looking it up now...

Ah, upon searching I found that the 343 article was changed with "And by due time, I mean as soon as we've decided which one of the three Defiant maps we're going to let your Spartan explore. Stay tuned!" Oddly enough, they were confused about it originally too, not mentioning the alleged forge world map. So I guess there is no new map reveal? =( Maybe the Covy Forge World thing was made up then. I guess I believed it since that site is a shithole filled with devkit/jtag modders. Still looking for what I saw before though.

I guess there is some hope if 343 is going to be on GTTV tonight, but it's probably just about the Defiant Map Pack.

[edit] Found one thread about it. Also talks about new armors, which we see one in the screenshots today, could be a lucky guess?
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/top...hl__+forge++world__fromsearch__1#entry3030886
Wow lots of info. I dunno why, but it seems more legit than not. The detailed info that legitimately sounds along the lines of what Bungie/343 would do to unlock this stuff.

Alienshogun said:
ISHTA! ISHTA!

Sorry I didn't respond to your message, shit's gone crazy at my house between midterms and my son's second birthday party.

Mosey on over to my Gears 3 GDC thread, shit exploded today.

I wish your son a happy birthday then!

Now I'm off to your carnage filled thread, while doing homework, and day dreaming about forge and Bulletstorm.

Devin Olsen said:
Allllright... Second times a charm, right?

Here is the video for the Unearthed BROLL.

YouTube

1kihTl.jpg

Processing still, so give it a bit if you want HQ.

Thanks for uploading. Map looks great!

Anyone have any luck getting the Condemned BROLL?

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
What the heck does BROLL mean...
B-roll. As in, extra footage captured but not used in the trailer. Think of the outtakes/b-roll footage from movies. In this case it's a bunch of footage provided to the media and they can combine/mix or just host what they want.

wwm0nkey

So about the new helmet. What do you guys think? was it super hidden on the disc or did they find a way around the .map restriction?

Personally I just wish they would just say if they did or didn't and then explain how they got that helmet in there. :/

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
So about the new helmet. What do you guys think? was it super hidden on the disc or did they find a way around the .map restriction?

Personally I just wish they would just say if they did or didn't and then explain how they got that helmet in there. :/
Now where would the fun in that be? :p

It's clearly a deliberate tease. I assume it's limited to the new maps until they say otherwise, but it's a cruel tease of that's the case since a lot of people are going to see that and assume new DLC armor.

wwm0nkey

GhaleonEB said:

It's clearly a deliberate tease. I assume it's limited to the new maps until they say otherwise, but it's a cruel tease of that's the case since a lot of people are going to see that and assume new DLC armor.
That really wont make any sense though to be honest.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I repaired the drivers for my capture card and now I can capture with Windows Movie Maker again. Yesss!! I've got to figure out this widescreen thing though, it's really fucking annoying.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

There's a sanity bloodbath at Bnet at the moment. Five player Firefight, Hayabusa, ROUGE (Play dolls for REAL!) and three new Helmets including the one pictured, new visor colours, Title Update, Rainbow and more new Armour Effects.

They just need to add in Removed Bloom and the bullshit meter will blow a fuse.

Dani said:
There's a sanity bloodbath at Bnet at the moment. Five player Firefight, Hayabusa, ROUGE (Play dolls for REAL!) and three new Helmets including the one pictured, new visor colours, Title Update, Rainbow and more new Armour Effects.

They just need to add in Removed Bloom and the bullshit meter will blow a fuse.
lol links

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dani said:
I often think you guys complain too much, but after being reminded what kind of people frequent Bungie.net... Man, I love you guys. Don't ever change.

On a related note, I weep for the future of humanity after reading through those threads.

Thanks for the YouTube uploads Devin.

Interesting to note that the low-grav room on Condemned does not have shield doors, just an air pressure change (i.e. you can shoot into the low-grav room from outside).

MrBig

Devin Olsen said:
Oh wow.... Those kids are having a great time over there.

Though they do bring up some good points.... 5 player firefight is kind of neat?
There's two possible explanations for that.
First they could have upped the player cap. See: Generator Defense in the beta.

Or it could have been a stationary camera, with multiple action shots taken, and then composited together. I have done similar things multiple times. As said in that thread, they all have the same armor/colors. Since it is a promotional image, they would have wanted to show as many people as they could playing, not realizing there is a cap.

ncsuDuncan said:
Thanks for the YouTube uploads Devin.

Interesting to note that the low-grav room on Condemned does not have shield doors, just an air pressure change (i.e. you can shoot into the low-grav room from outside).

The less shield doors the better.

Steelyuhas said:
The less shield doors the better.
I found it odd, lore-wise, that Anchor 9 had shield doors. They could barely get MJOLNIR's energy shields running those days, and suddenly they've got a huge-ass energy shield on their space station.

Oh well, it's a fun map.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
I found it odd, lore-wise, that Anchor 9 had shield doors. They could barely get MJOLNIR's energy shields running those days, and suddenly they've got a huge-ass energy shield on their space station.

Oh well, it's a fun map.
You mean a couple weeks before Halo 1 and the rest of the series/lore, when chief is in his 40s(?).
and that vv

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:

Oh well, it's a fun map.

A bit different powering a shield on a PERSON than on a huge building with a huge power supply.

Dani said:

Don't worry John, I saved a round just for this moment, make it count.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:

Oh well, it's a fun map.
Or how when the shield doors are removed, atmosphere is not vented into space creating zero gravity on the entire map. (Which is the first thing my daughter asked when she saw it.)

It's a game. :lol

Question: is there a way to make a Race variant that does not spawn vehicles in? My daughter made a jetpack race map but she doesn't want players spawning with a Mongoose, etc.

Alienshogun said:
A bit different powering a shield on a PERSON than on a huge building with a huge power supply.
True. I could get into the whole nitty-gritty about this now, having just finished Halsey's journal (which goes in-depth on a lot of the energy shielding stuff), but it doesn't matter. Most people don't care, and I don't feel like getting into another discussion about story elements. You should've seen the ones on HBO: they were epic. And I can definitely get over Anchor 9 having Shield Doors for fun. It's multiplayer, after all. :p

GhaleonEB said:
Or how when the shield doors are removed, atmosphere is not vented into space creating zero gravity on the entire map. (Which is the first thing my daughter asked when she saw it.)
Now I want zero-G Anchor 9. :( It'd play like shit, but it'd be fun as hell for customs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
True. I could get into the whole nitty-gritty about this now, having just finished Halsey's journal (which goes in-depth on a lot of the energy shielding stuff), but it doesn't matter. Most people don't care, and I don't feel like getting into another discussion about story elements. You should've seen the ones on HBO: they were epic.

Eh, as much as I like the Halo lore, I'm definitely not super geek about it like some here are.

Crucio said:
That's some good artwork. where is that from?

The great beyond.

Seriously though I think it was entered in a contest a bit back on Bungie.net

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

Flushing an atmosphere out an airlock doesn't effect localised gravity. You can't just suck out gravity. =)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
Flushing an atmosphere out an airlock doesn't effect localised gravity. You can't just suck out gravity. =)

No but the pressure change when all of the atmosphere is ejected into the great black void should/would be enough to eject you from your Pumas.

Alienshogun said:
Eh, as much as I like the Halo lore, I'm definitely not super geek about it like some here are.
Which is why I'm not going to make a discussion about it. :p I'm under the impression most of HaloGAF is strictly multiplayer. The players who actually care about the storyline seem to be in the minority.

Top Bottom