• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

You da man Gui!

RespectKnuckles.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Striker said:
Saw Ghaleon post in the Optimatch as well, but some good news regarding BTB.

He exclaims there will be a playlist change up. In two words, "-blam- yes".

Although...

Unless they're really demanding BTB to be a true CTF/Assault playlist, or changes to Team Slayer for that matter, what's the point of this? They'll have it on smaller maps, although some larger ones at times, so I'm thinking along the likes of Tempest, Boardwalk, Condemned, etc. Unlike 6v6 Team Battle in Halo 2, however, I'm not sure it has the map quality for it. In that sense, we had many. There was map sizes that were prime for it, namely Colossus, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Relic, Terminal, and Tombstone. Now they also had Skirmish variants included, so there was lots more variety. Not sure I'll be interested in this, especially if BTB gets its true access back.

*sigh* There are way too many playlists in Reach. I think it'd be better if Team Slayer was bumped to 5v5 instead of adding a 5v5 playlist.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
*sigh* There are way too many playlists in Reach. I think it'd be better if Team Slayer was bumped to 5v5 instead of adding a 5v5 playlist.
I always thought Team Objective would play better as a 5v5 playlist, myself.

Live Updater isn't working for me. Could someone PM me and help me out?

Also, here's a pretty interesting music video set to Reach cinematics. I wish the person had used actual gameplay footage, but that's a darn catchy song, and it had some pretty clever lyric-to-video sync.

Domino Theory said:
Or Team Objective, yeah. Just better to bump an existing playlist to 5v5 than to add another one.

I'd also like to see Team SWAT and Snipers morphed into one playlist called "Team Tactical" in addition to both DLC playlists being morphed into one called "Team DLC" or something. Those are my two cents, anyways.
If Bungie did that, I'd never be able to play Team Snipers again. :'^(

Edit: I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but Halo: Faith will be posting pictures and info and hosting a live Q & A from its Twitter tomorrow. It'll be the first day on set.

Hopefully this will assuage my fears.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:

Or Team Objective, yeah. Just better to bump an existing playlist to 5v5 than to add another one.

I'd also like to see Team SWAT and Snipers morphed into one playlist called "Team Tactical" in addition to both DLC playlists being morphed into one called "Team DLC" or something. Those are my two cents, anyways.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Most of the maps are too small for those extra players. It would end up being a spawn/grenade clusterfuck anytime you made a push into the enemy base. it already kind of is at 4v4.

Oozer3993

Had a great night in Reach. Played really well in a couple MLG games, then topped it off with a wonderful game of Elite Slayer on Highlands. Three of my teammates quit before the game even started, leaving us 3v6. No problem.

Kawl_USC

Okay, I do not understand the problems my connection is having with this game. I just got dropped from a game (40-38 in TS) so not the very beginning. While I was playing I was watching the Starcraft II MLG Stream, and I was also in a party with the 3 randoms I got matched up with, as they were all in party chat. So my question comes due to the fact that when the drop occurred I could still hear the randoms in my party chat and could talk to them, for the whole time, and there was no hiccup in my Stream.

So what gives? What the heck is causing me to drop from a game, it says connecting to new host, and then everyone but me is dropped from the game, while leaving my xbl party chat fine and not disrupting a stream on my laptop?

I am confused and pretty damn frustrated, a ban awaits me everytime I get dropped, and I was demolishing in the MLG Slayer game with 19 kills.

Karl2177 said:
Awesome, ended the last thread with 117 replies.

Does that make me a Spartan yet?
Top 5 new junior posters of OT3:

No. 5 - ncsuDuncan (168 posts)
No. 4 - Hitmonchan107 (246 posts)
No. 3 - A27_StarWolf (255 posts)
No. 2 - Steelyuhas (262 posts)
No. 1 - A27 Tawpgun (334 posts)

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:

Not a junior anymore(Congrats, if I didn't say it in the last thread). ODIN is the 5th one.

Karl2177 said:
Not a junior anymore(Congrats, if I didn't say it in the last thread). ODIN is the 5th one.
That's why I said "new" junior posters. Those were the highest posters from the new junior wave that happened in OT3.

But what the Hell. Congrats, ODIN? lol

Lingitiz

Bread said:
I hate people on Reach for choosing Dreadnaught TSC over Eclipse TS Rifles. So stupid.
Well to be honest lockout is not that great in Reach from what i've played. Not that its a bad map, it just feels strange, as most teams just grab the towers and destroy you from across the map. Dreadnaught is straight up terrible though.

blamite

Lingitiz said:
Well to be honest lockout is not that great in Reach from what i've played. Not that its a bad map, it just feels strange, as most teams just grab the towers and destroy you from across the map. Dreadnaught is straight up terrible though.
WHAT

Bread

Banned
Lingitiz said:
I agree that it doesn't feel the same, but it's so much better than Dreadnought, I can't stand that shit. It's so easy to dominate that map if you have a team that just sticks together on the top level (which I don't because I'm playing with randoms)

zlatko

Banned
Watching MLG Reach is such a blast. It makes me envious that I wish the game played like that anytime you joined a match in the MLG play list. People always working together to call out positions, no one is going to drop connection(obviously), and everyone is working together to win---not their own personal k/d ratio.

Karl2177 said:

Thanks. I still only have 355 posts, so you can tell I spend most of my time here in HaloGAF.

Now all I have to do is blather about Quality > Quantity in posting and pretend I've been a full Member for a year instead of just a lurker. (Join Date: 04-08-2010, first year anniversary in a week!)

Looking forward to customs tomorrow. Well, today. Whatever. 1 sleep away.

blamite

computers putin' said:
HOLY SHIT!!!!1! a fourth OT? this has got to be a record for most posts on a single topic on this board or something....
I don't remember how long the Halo 3 thread was, since I was still lurking at the time, but I think it may have been longer. And that was all just one thread.

Auto updater doesn't seem to work I left for the bars and then refreshed and there was at least 10 new posts that didnt update.

WTF?

PNut

Banned
Hot damn OT 4!

During a game of Arena on Countdown tonight there were 2 swords, 2 shotguns and 2 concussion rifles live on the map. Wow. Felt like I was playing a game of Team Melee in Halo 3. Whatever needs to be done to keep the population at a reasonable number I'm all for, but the power weapon respawn times need to be tweaked for that playlist. Glad evade was removed though.

Nutter

Hitmonchan107 said:

Yes, because by posting more you clearly show you are not a junior.

facepalm.gif

xxjuicesxx said:
Auto updater doesn't seem to work I left for the bars and then refreshed and there was at least 10 new posts that didnt update.

WTF?

Yeah, auto-updater isn't working for me either. I know it's there because of the refresh logo at the bottom. Maybe after I restart Chrome...

Havok

PNut said:
Hot damn OT 4!

During a game of Arena on Countdown tonight there were 2 swords, 2 shotguns and 2 concussion rifles live on the map. Wow. Felt like I was playing a game of Team Melee in Halo 3. Whatever needs to be done to keep the population at a reasonable number I'm all for, but the power weapon respawn times need to be tweaked for that playlist. Glad evade was removed though.
Yeah, the max count on map should be reduced across the board for weapons. Although I will say, I just got done playing a whole bunch of Arena games with Striker and JdFox and they were more enjoyable than the default gametypes by far. Jetpack needs to be taken out ASAP though, it breaks every single map. For people that are sick of armor lock and just want to play some Slayer, it's what I'd recommend. A good team can absolutely mop up on the bad kids in that playlist.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
When I think of Halo CTF or Halo Assault, I think of 4v4. Maps like Beaver Creek, Warlock, Midship, and Sanctuary, the prime objective maps from Halo 2, were sublime for 8 people. Any more and it becomes crammed.

Halo 2's 6v6 Team Battle played great, as well, but you have to put them on appropriate maps. You can't use every symmetrical maps sans BTB because, quiet frankly, 12 people on a map the size of Midship makes no god damn sense. That's why you use them specifically for large maps, or the smaller BTB-type maps, ala Terminal and Relic.

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, it's going to be ridiculous when you already have:

SLAYER ONLY Team Arena (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Team Slayer (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Squad Battle (5v5)

What's the sense of this?

Havok

Striker said:
Yeah, it's going to be ridiculous when you already have:

SLAYER ONLY Team Arena (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Team Slayer (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Squad Battle (5v5)

What's the sense of this?
That nobody but us like to play Objective, and so Drop Shield will remain firmly in its place for all of eternity, standing next to its companion, Assault Rifle starts on Hemorrhage. :(

Striker

Havok said:
That nobody but us like to play Objective, and so Drop Shield will remain firmly in its place for all of eternity. :(
Speaking of Objective, I haven't seen a basic 1-flag or 1-bomb show up one Reflection in a while. It's mostly Pro variants. I kind of wish they would be dropped on smaller maps, but saved for larger ones.

With the daily threads getting made on Bnet for BTB about Assault, the wish was finally granted. I guess our next step is pleading to remove Drop Shields out of MP all together. You know damn well it's going to plague Assault in BTB.

Havok

I agree. In terms of tweaks to Reflection, I'd also like to see the return of the double arm spots that Halo 2 had on Ivory Tower.

It's probably strange to people that don't care for Objective that these small tweaks are so important, but these are concrete, fairly simple changes that can make the playlist better for those of us who do enjoy it, whose best memories of the series are from Team Skirmish in Halo 2 with a full party of people talking away. Its certainly an worthier cause than asking for bloom to be removed, because that's probably never going to happen ever ever ever never ever.

However, I know that realistically these changes will never be the top priority for Jerimiah and co. Even now, on a Friday night, there are fewer than a thousand people playing Objective, the lowest populated playlist besides the Noble Map Pack. It kind of makes me fear for the future of the playlist. The last few games have veered away from focusing on that sort of game very sharply, which can be directly seen in the map design which has become more Slayer oriented as time passes. It'd be nice to see some incentive given to players to use the playlist, like a credit boost or something. As it stands, we're basically shutting out every single team we've come up against, and since the population is so low, it never really gets competitive. I seem to remember Team Flag being super popular as a Double Exp playlist in Halo 3, maybe the same could be done here.

Kujo

Reach has too many playlists, the population of the less popular ones can get quite low at times. With over 20k online the other day, Arena and Objective were both around the low 100's

Striker

Team Objective should be alright. MLG and Team Arena, their baby, are getting as populated on a daily night as TO.

Agree about playlists, Mojo. I know some here might not agree, but in my world, I wouldn't make things like Living Dead and Grifball every day, permanent playlists. They're ideal for your weekly extravaganzas, or for a "Double cR" idea. I still can't understand why Living Dead is in Competitive anyways. It should be, if it's permanent, remaining in the Community section with Community maps.

blamite

I've been playing a ton of Classic tonight, and it's really really fun, definitely the best playist in Reach, but it could use some variety. I'm hoping CTF and Assault are coming soon, but we could use some new maps too. Foundation, Chill Out/Cold Storage and Turf are my top choices for new maps, but I'm sure there are a ton of classic maps I;'m forgetting. Maybe even a few from Halo 3?

Kujo

Striker said:
Agree about playlists, Mojo. I know some here might not agree, but in my world, I wouldn't make things like Living Dead and Grifball every day, permanent playlists. They're ideal for your weekly extravaganzas, or for a "Double cR" idea. I still can't understand why Living Dead is in Competitive anyways. It should be, if it's permanent, remaining in the Community section with Community maps.
Yeah, if it were up to me I'd put an axe to a whole bunch of them and relegate them to double credit weekend hoppers.

COMMUNITY BTB (Available 4.05.11)

Just noticed this on the Active Playlists page. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet.

General Playlist thoughts:
- Combine Defiant DLC and Noble DLC into one 6v6 DLC playlist (as mentioned already)
- Put Grifball in Action Sack. The wonderful, friendly people at GrifballHub would hate me for this, so maybe make it easy for them to Rock the Vote and choose Grifball.
- Remove Living Dead, Team Snipers, and Team Swat. Replace them with the Weekly Playlist

Weekly Playlist lasts seven (7!) days and rotates between:
- Living Dead
- Team Snipers
- Team Swat
- Team Flag

Hmm, that's all I have for now, aside from the obvious tweaks to Objective. I still think it's ridiculous that they're trying to cater to every possible party size. I think teams of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 are all that is needed. 3 and 5 don't require their own playlists (or 7, I guess :p).

xxjuicesxx said:

WTF?
Seems like it's not activated by default. Click the little icon at the bottom of the page, then it will check every minute for new posts as long as you stay on that page. At least that's how I think it works. :I

GhaleonEB

Great games guys. That game of Speedpile on Hemorrhage was unbelievable. Down 8-24 we come back to win 50-47. Sniping dudes out of the Warthog carrying the three pointer, Sai's controller dying on a crucial end-game run back, scoring the winning points a few seconds before they scored theirs...so good.

Gotta work for eight hours tomorrow, but that game ends today on a high note. Thanks for helping me get the assist challenge to boot.

Top Bottom