• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tawpgun

Detox said:
Hosting is not an issue at all. Gears 3 will easily top Reach on the live charts at launch and there will be enough servers for everyone. Both Left 4 Dead games also use this system and they have no problem, I assume they scale their servers accordingly but if the Gears franchise can afford servers so can Halo.

I'm not sure what HM is, if it's a forum then no.

Gears 3 might surpass Reach for the first few weeks, but I;m not sure if it will be able to sustain those numbers. Then again, Gears 2 was a failure online so maybe Gears 3 might top Reach.

Also, Halo Reach Netcode a pretty cool guy eh no lag and doesnt afraid of anything

Kuroyume

Banned
Exactly. I'm still waiting for them to remove those maps from that list. Putting the DLC in the same playlist will only mean that Breakpoint is chosen 8 out of 10 times. Also, we don't know how the sales of either map pack compare so it could mean that future DLC may appear rarely if some people don't have the maps. Noble playlist should only have Noble maps. Defiant should only have Defiant maps and so on.

This whole disucssion about the playlists doesn't make any sense. The way it's done now is fine. Hell, I want more of them just so I'm not forced to play crap like Headhunter and Rocket Hog. Putting playlists together only means that certain gametypes will overtake others. I don't play SWAT or Snipers but put those together and Snipers will be picked nearly all the time easily. It would just ruin the game for people who enjoy SWAT. Put griffball in Objective and then it may as well be the Griffball playlist.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
Exactly. I'm still waiting for them to remove those maps from that list. Putting the DLC in the same playlist will only mean that Breakpoint is chosen 8 out of 10 times. Also, we don't know how the sales of either map pack compare so it could mean that future DLC may appear rarely if some people don't have the maps. Noble playlist should only have Noble maps. Defiant should only have Defiant maps and so on.

This whole disucssion about the playlists doesn't make any sense. The way it's done now is fine. Hell, I want more of them just so I'm not forced to play crap like Headhunter and Rocket Hog. Putting playlists together only means that certain gametypes will overtake others. I don't play SWAT or Snipers but put those together and Snipers will be picked nearly all the time easily. It would just ruin the game for people who enjoy SWAT. Put griffball in Objective and then it may as well be the Griffball playlist.

Maybe I'm understanding you incorrectly, but you have every opportunity to play defiant maps in the defiant map pack since you have to have the defiant map pack to play it in.

They simply also allow for Noble maps so you're not stuck playing 2 maps in rotation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Got like 12 clips for Week 3's montage already. I think that's twice as many as Week 2. Hahhaha

Kuroyume

Banned
Maybe I only want to play those maps? Last time I was in there the game was unable to load the Defiant maps because douchebags kept pulling other their flash memory sticks with the Defiant maps on them so only the Noble maps would show up.

I jump into Defiant to get some Defiant action going and I get Breakpoint snipers or slayer. FUCKING GREAT! That makes a lot of sense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
Maybe I only want to play those maps? Last time I was in there the game was unable to load the Defiant maps because douchebags kept pulling other their flash memory sticks with the Defiant maps on them so only the Noble maps would show up.

I jump into Defiant to get some Defiant action going and I get Breakpoint snipers or slayer. FUCKING GREAT! That makes a lot of sense.

Of all the things to bitch about, this seems low on the totem pole.

vhfive

Dax01 said:
Reach's net code is fantastic. The best out there not including dedicated servers.
(The fuck is with that picture dude? I don't care if your "frustrated", that's nasty and you need to take that down).
Completely agree
Reach's net code shits on CoD's

Detox

Is it right now, if so I'm up for it. Haven't played halo ever with gaffers so should be good but how do I get in?

KevinRo

vhfive said:
Completely agree
Reach's net code shits on CoD's

eh, i wouldn't go that FAR. i'll go through theater everynow and then and watch a bunch of my shots hot registering even though i see them hit and register on their body. i have a clip of me shooting igoturpistola in the head with a needler rifle when he had no shield and the needle was embedded in his head aka headshot but didn't die.

lag mayne.

Detox said:
Is it right now, if so I'm up for it. Haven't played halo ever with gaffers so should be good but how do I get in?

I think it's at 3pm EST, so about 2 hours and 40 minutes from my post time.

As for getting in, I'd just post your gamertag at 3pm (not now), and someone should send you an invite if there's room.

Tawpgun

The defiant playlist is broken now.

Slayer is now ALWAYS AR starts. Even on Highlands.

Oh, and Drop Shield is still in Objective. Guess that means no more flag for me until they fix it.

Lingitiz

blamite said:
Sorry late response. I meant Hydra is not great. The spawns are really bad and there are times where i've spawned right in front of enemies and on really small ledges making me commit suicide. I will say that it plays better than any slayer map in default Reach though save for Reflection.

Gui_PT

I refuse to play Highlands until it's changed.

Rocket and Sniper timers changed but they still need tweaking. And Drop Shield seeeeriously needs to be out of CTF on that map.

Horrible.

ncsuDuncan said:
I think it's at 3pm EST, so about 2 hours and 40 minutes from my post time.

As for getting in, I'd just post your gamertag at 3pm (not now), and someone should send you an invite if there's room.
Yep Forge Customs starts at 3pm EST(8pm GMT). Normal Customs starts @ 1am GMT. I don't know the other times in other time zone.

Gui_PT said:

Rocket and Sniper timers changed but they still need tweaking. And Drop Shield seeeeriously needs to be out of CTF on that map.

Horrible.
Dude! Easy killz! EASY KILLZ!

I appreciate Reach's net code more and more after what I had to endure with BLOPS and especially after the hell that I'm going through these days trying to get a decent online match in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

JonCha

Reach's netcode is actually pretty decent. Watch any of ELPRESADOR's videos to see how bad Black Ops is (though I have had blood shoots on Reach from time to time).

MrBig

Gui_PT said:

Horrible.
All maps. I'm proclaiming Jeremiah the new Shishka if he refuses to make objective better. It used to be the core of the franchise until Shishka ruined it.

zlatko

Banned
JonCha said:
Reach's netcode is actually pretty decent. Watch any of ELPRESADOR's videos to see how bad Black Ops is (though I have had blood shoots on Reach from time to time).

Black Ops is definitely worse, but as far as I remember Call of Duty 4 was better. My memory is sketchy, but Modern Warfare 2 was about the same as Reach I'd say.

Games that definitely flat out beat Reach are Uncharted 2, Resistance, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and probably MAG in terms of being in a match going smoothly. Of course some of these games mentioned/most are run on dedicated servers and hence why there are no issues. I don't think Uncharted 2 had them though, but it was easily the smoothest hosting experience I had in any console game this generation with COD4 right behind it.

MrBig

zlatko said:
Black Ops is definitely worse, but as far as I remember Call of Duty 4 was better. My memory is sketchy, but Modern Warfare 2 was about the same as Reach I'd say.

Games that definitely flat out beat Reach are Uncharted 2, Resistance, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and probably MAG in terms of being in a match going smoothly. Of course some of these games mentioned/most are run on dedicated servers and hence why there are no issues. I don't think Uncharted 2 had them though, but it was easily the smoothest hosting experience I had in any console game this generation with COD4 right behind it.
The "smooth" gamplay experience comes from drop in-drop out. Which I hate, and is why I stopped playing CoD.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gui_PT said:

Horrible.

Rocket and Sniper are on the maximum 180 seconds respawn timer. You can't increase it any further.

Rockets also have the minimum amount of ammo and Sniper only has six shots, less than every other Sniper on other maps.

What are you expecting or wanting here?

zlatko

Banned
MrBig said:
The "smooth" gamplay experience comes from drop in-drop out. Which I hate, and is why I stopped playing CoD.

Uuuh no. I'm talking about I'm in a game and there was no hit detection issues, no one with a clear advantage over the rest thanks to him being host, no lag constantly and instead rarely.

You're talking about something completely different and irrelevant.

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Rocket and Sniper are on the maximum 180 seconds respawn timer. You can't increase it any further.

Rockets also have the minimum amount of ammo and Sniper only has six shots, less than every other Sniper on other maps.

What are you expecting or wanting here?

Still too many rocket/sniper rounds.

I don't have a good idea on how to fix it. Maybe put only one RL on the middle of the map.

Probably not a good idea, but hey, I'm not getting payed like they are.

MrBig

zlatko said:
Uuuh no. I'm talking about I'm in a game and there was no hit detection issues, no one with a clear advantage over the rest thanks to him being host, no lag constantly and instead rarely.

:lol we must have been playing different games then. Just because they hide lag behind fast movement speed, wide hit boxes, fast RoF, and huge bullet spread doesn't mean it's not there.
Not letting this go OT though.
Classic is great. Population is still high. Loving it.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Still too many rocket/sniper rounds.

I don't have a good idea on how to fix it. Maybe put only one RL on the middle of the map.

Probably not a good idea, but hey, I'm not getting payed like they are.
I'd do a major nerf to the power weapons, myself.

One rocket launcher in the Pelican in the middle, with four rockets.

Laser removed and plasma launcher removed. Perhaps replace with Concussion Rifles.

Remove sniper. It renders about 1/2 the map off limits to infantry. Map was not designed well to accomodate it.

Highlands has basically all the problems Hemhorrage has, with the added issues that power weapons in close quarters areas bring. Rockets and shotty dominate the teleporter and indoors areas, while the sniper owns the rest of the map.

wwm0nkey said:
So anyone think in the next Halo, we should have the option to edit all the values of pretty much everything by 1% intervals and not this 25% stuff? (also for weapons too!)
I try to be realistic. Not sure how hard implementing a per-weapon damage modification system is, but I'm guessing it's a meaty resource draw. Not sure it's realistic, but it would be amazing.
Alienshogun said:
I don't really agree though, the sides of the map are able to be traversed without too much sniper worry. The plasma launcher is fine, but I think the laser needs to go (don't like it on any map). As for the rockets, I think every map would be better served with rockets replaced with grenade launchers except where falcons and banshees are present.

That said, I've only played about 3 rounds on Highlands.
Right, that's the half of the map that's not off limits. It makes the map less dynamic. I find myself running through the same couple buildings to aviod snipers when I play on it. There are massive swaths of the map I've never set foot on and probably never will. To me, that means the map is not designed well for infantry, it's basically a big bowl. Infantry on the outside, vehicles in the middle.

Well at least you CAN move up, unlike on Hemmorage, eh?
True. The segregation can work, it just requires a very careful selection of power weapons. The current all of the above but less ammo solution doesn't work, IMO.

wwm0nkey

So anyone think in the next Halo, we should have the option to edit all the values of pretty much everything by 1% intervals and not this 25% stuff? (also for weapons too!)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I'd do a major nerf to the power weapons, myself.

One rocket launcher in the Pelican in the middle, with four rockets.

Laser removed and plasma launcher removed. Perhaps replace with Concussion Rifles.

Remove sniper. It renders about 1/2 the map off limits to infantry. Map was not designed well to accomodate it.

Highlands has basically all the problems Hemhorrage has, with the added issues that power weapons in close quarters areas bring. Rockets and shotty dominate the teleporter and indoors areas, while the sniper owns the rest of the map.

I don't really agree though, the sides of the map are able to be traversed without too much sniper worry. The plasma launcher is fine, but I think the laser needs to go (don't like it on any map). As for the rockets, I think every map would be better served with rockets replaced with grenade launchers except where falcons and banshees are present.

That said, I've only played about 3 rounds on Highlands.

Ghaleon said:
Right, that's the half of the map that's not off limits. It makes the map less dynamic. I find myself running through the same couple buildings to aviod snipers when I play on it. There are massive swaths of the map I've never set foot on and probably never will. To me, that means the map is not designed well for infantry, it's basically a big bowl. Infantry on the outside, vehicles in the middle.

Well at least you CAN move up, unlike on Hemmorage, eh?

Bread said:
No CoD has ever had a better netcode than a Halo game, that's obvious when you die after running around a corner then watch the killcam and see that you weren't even around the corner on their screen. That has been happening since CoD2.

Not to mention parties don't get dropped in Halo.

I will say though, at least COD doesn't do that damned blackscreen crap.

Bread

Banned
zlatko said:

No CoD has ever had a better netcode than a Halo game. It's obvious how bad the netcode is when you die after running around a corner, then watch the killcam and see that you weren't even around the corner on their screen. That has been happening since CoD2.

blamite

If Team Classic stops being a permanent playlist, I'm quitting Reach for as long as it's gone. It's the only playlist I want, and doing anything to it other than adding more variety is a terrible idea.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
blamite said:
If Team Classic stops being a permanent playlist, I'm quitting Reach for as long as it's gone. It's the only playlist I want, and doing anything to it other than adding more variety is a terrible idea.

2 things I don't like about it.

Needle rifle dominates and a single grenade can kill you at full shield and full health. That isn't classic.

blamite said:
Think population is the key metric for any playlist, especially one as "special" as Team Classic. Different from traditional Reach in key ways, but not as externally different as Grifball, Living Dead etc.

GhaleonEB said:
Which makes it kind of like Hemorrhage, which makes it suck. I haven't played Highlands with the new settings yet, but it's very dangerous to traverse the middle.

blamite

Alienshogun said:

Needle rifle dominates and a single grenade can kill you at full shield and full health. That isn't classic.
Personally I like how useful the NR is, especially on maps like Hang 'em High and Lockout, but I can see how some would find it frustrating.
Second, I don't think I've ever once been killed by just a grenade from full health. The increased movement speed and jumping seem to do more than enough to make them more dodgeable than they normally are. It might be nice if they could be toned down a little independently of weapon damage, but I'm fine with them as is.

MrBig

Alienshogun said:

Needle rifle is the equivalent of the H1 pistol. It's supposed to. No grenades do not kill you if you haven't been shot.

All classic needs is objective and more maps. Maybe a 6v6 version with bigger maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:
Needle rifle is the equivalent of the H1 pistol. It's supposed to. No grenades do not kill you if you haven't been shot.

All classic needs is objective and more maps. Maybe a 6v6 version with bigger maps.

Yeah, they do. Happened the first time I played. I had full health full shields and got dropped by a single grenade. I'll see if I can find the match if it's still on my temp files.

The only way it could have been anything else is if the guy shot me exactly when the grenade went off.
'

Edit:

Yeah, I'm wrong, just checked. Something else had to have happened.

alerus

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
I try to be realistic. Not sure how hard implementing a per-weapon damage modification system is, but I'm guessing it's a meaty resource draw. Not sure it's realistic, but it would be amazing.

What makes you think it would be a heavy resource draw? Ultimately the damage values for everything is loaded at some point. Changing what gets loaded shouldn't affect performance. Or do you mean in terms of development time resource draw? Maybe, but it still seems like a fairly simple thing to add in the options. Or let me put that another way, I can't think of a reason why adding menu options to change the weapon damage values would take particularly long. Perhaps you can?

MrBig

alerus said:
What makes you think it would be a heavy resource draw? Ultimately the damage values for everything is loaded at some point. Changing what gets loaded shouldn't affect performance. Or do you mean in terms of development time resource draw? Maybe, but it still seems like a fairly simple thing to add in the options. Or let me put that another way, I can't think of a reason why adding menu options to change the weapon damage values would take particularly long. Perhaps you can?
Black screen would break it like it breaks everything else. I t wouldn't be hard if there was a pointer to weapon values in the gametype settings. I don't know if there is.

see5harp

zlatko said:
I'm frustrated. :/

Thanks for the clarification Mr Big. I hope 343 with the next Halo game looks into some way to ditch hosting and find a better route. I'd also like them to introduce playlists where if my team mates quit it cycles and lets someone join mid game.

If they could someone have enough dedicated servers and have matchmaking work the same way (which works better than most console games I've played) then alright. I don't ever see that happening though.

Yea nades are a little overpowered in Classic and theres so much of it. Probably need to nerf the nades on map and the number you spawn with. I swear at some points I hear a chain of like 8 nades go off, its just insane.

Also the key to winning in Prolonged is to hold middle because you can look to either side and its silky smooth and you can get real good shots off, but if you are on either end looking across the whole map its too hard to scope in and aim precisely cause of the frame rate being sketchy, its not terrible but it fluctuates making aiming harder and to get a 4 or 5 shot off is just ridiculously hard at that point.

Gui_PT

I like how grenades are as powerful as rockets in the Classic Paylist. Sooo much fun.

By like I mean hate, and by fun I mean annoying.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea nades are a little overpowered in Classic and theres so much of it. Probably need to nerf the nades on map and the number you spawn with. I swear at some points I hear a chain of like 8 nades go off, its just insane.
I played two games in Classic last night, one on the Hang'em High remake (which was excellent), and the map was large and open enough that they weren't much of an issue. Then we played the Lockout remake, and it was one tactical nuke after another going off. Shoot once, throw grenade and that's all she wrote.

I can't remember how many grenades you spawn with currently, but it should be one. If it's currently just one, then the extra grenades on map should be removed.

Classic is one of those things that will never feel quite right beacuse of how the weapon and grenade damage changed between games. It's good idea but I'm not sure any setting is going to address all the problems they could bring.

Havok

Gui_PT said:
I like how grenades are as powerful as rockets in the Classic Paylist. Sooo much fun.

By like I mean hate, and by fun I mean annoying.
I was about to call you crazy, but then I read the second half of your post :p

It's not just the number of grenades you spawn with or the ability to pick up more on the map. They are broken in that playlist without an individual damage tweak, just like the automatic weapons are. If those can be tweaked, it should happen, and new versions of the map remakes that are actually built for the "classic" movement and jumping settings instead of the Reach default should be in there. I've said it before, but as it is, it doesn't feel like the old games. They were not nearly that fast, and I think people are misremembering them. Weapon damage tweaks and map scale fixes should help that quite a bit though.

(and removing grenades entirely like 4SK is not a solution, its a cop out.)

zlatko

Banned
see5harp said:
If they could someone have enough dedicated servers and have matchmaking work the same way (which works better than most console games I've played) then alright. I don't ever see that happening though.

They completely could. How many players are on in the busiest day of the week for Reach?

Msoft is stinky rich, and I think people have this big misconception that dedicated servers are expensive when it's completely not true in the slightest.

I'm not an internet wizard, but from what I gather the game could do exactly what it does now to match you up and find opponents, then once the 8 people are there in the lobby it sets them up on the dedi server instead of picking a host like it does now, then they go into the game for a lag free experience. :) (Unless of course your own internet is dial up in which case dedicated servers will have no barring on your awful internet. lol)

blamite

You have 2 grenades at spawn, and each location where there are grenades on the map, there's only 1 instead of 2. I think that switching to one starting grenade would do a lot to solve people's complaints.

GhaleonEB said:
I played two games in Classic last night, one on the Hang'em High remake (which was excellent), and the map was large and open enough that they weren't much of an issue. Then we played the Lockout remake, and it was one tactical nuke after another going off. Shoot once, throw grenade and that's all she wrote.

I can't remember how many grenades you spawn with currently, but it should be one. If it's currently just one, then the extra grenades on map should be removed.

Yea Hydra? is not bad because of its size.

becomes a problem on the smaller maps, Eclipse, Prophet, and kinda Magus and Noble Creek

Its currently 2 grenade start. Should be 1 and nade patches should have 1 nade not 2 if they already don't.

About the concussion rifle I like how its trying to emulate the brute shot that was on Elongation but its just such an annoying weapon in multiplayer, way more annoying than the brute shot ever was. Plus it doesn't have that bounce off the wall effect like in Halo 2, which worked really well with the angles Elongation has (all super straight 90 degree angles) Honestly I'd just say get rid of it the frame rate is bad enough I don't need my screen shaking a thousand times more.

Also OMG I can't believe they still can't figure out the stream over at MLG. What the hell hire someone who knows what the fuck they are doing. God I hate seeing people having jobs and not being able to even do it correctly.

Top Bottom