• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Willeth

I have made a button to hand out at PAX. I think I have a hundred or so. Usually, PAX-goers make their own buttons and trade them to meet as many people as possible. I'd recommend you do this.

HOWEVER! I will have a limited amount of these buttons to give to GAF folk that find me at HaloFest. I'll be the English guy with a slight paunch, long dark hair and a beard that isn't John Davison. In order to get one of these exclusive buttons, all you need to do is find me and say "I really fucking love the AR." Then you get this, and will be the envy of your friends:

jRgcF.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
I realized today that I have two friends that have switched from CoD to Halo.

They switched because of Halo Reach. I tried to get them to play Halo 3 back in the day all the time. They would play a couple rounds and go back to CoD4/Mw2

How could the worst Halo game make them switch? I know there are probably other factors but I still find it at least a little strange.
Anyone else have a similar story?
No. Literally all my friends in real life have stopped playing Halo because of Reach.

However, my buddy said the title update will bring him back if they kill bloom

Sai-kun

Banned
Willeth said:
I have made a button to hand out at PAX. I think I have a hundred or so. Usually, PAX-goers make their own buttons and trade them to meet as many people as possible. I'd recommend you do this.

HOWEVER! I will have a limited amount of these buttons to give to GAF folk that find me at HaloFest. I'll be the English guy with a slight paunch, long dark hair and a beard that isn't John Davison. In order to get one of these exclusive buttons, all you need to do is find me and say "I really fucking love the AR." Then you get this, and will be the envy of your friends:

jRgcF.jpg

someone better get me one of these

Willeth said:

jRgcF.jpg
Even if this button cleaned my room and did my taxes I wouldn't utter that phrase.
assaultrifle1pf8.gif

Tunavi said:
No. Literally all my friends in real life have stopped playing Halo because of Reach.

Reach scared off a good amount of my friends too, i just find it weird it actually brought two people to the series.

senador

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
I realized today that I have two friends that have switched from CoD to Halo.

They switched because of Halo Reach. I tried to get them to play Halo 3 back in the day all the time. They would play a couple rounds and go back to CoD4/Mw2

How could the worst Halo game make them switch? I know there are probably other factors but I still find it at least a little strange.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Yup. I had a few (3 to be exact) friends leave Halo 3 for CoD. They came back to Reach at launch and haven't left. They love most of the changes, especially Jet Pack. 1 as adamantly stated he'd be gone already if it weren't for Jet Pack.

Regardless of disagreeing with them, they have their own reasons for liking Halo right now. 343 has a helluva task.

Tunavi said:

But I'm playing Halo. I ain't your buddy?

Trasher

I just kind of thought of a silly idea. I feel like the warthog is pretty iconic to Halo, so I at least hope that maybe someone else here tries to come up with something to do with it as well.

VMLce-1-1.jpg

Just threw it together super fast, and I obviously copied Devo's NeoGAF ball logo haha.

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
Reach scared off a good amount of my friends too, i just find it weird it actually brought two people to the series.
Halo 3 threw off a bunch of every-day goers I had as well. They did the Reach campaign and haven't been much active.

I partly take in the fact people have more responsibilities, jobs, and whatnot, but I also strongly speculate they didn't like the direction Halo 3 and the rest were going.

FyreWulff

The last Halo game to be extremely popular with the mainstream and casual shooter players was Halo 2 in my opinion. Both Halo 3 and Reach had the non-hardcore Halo players move on the next thing after a couple of months.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
The last Halo game to be extremely popular with the mainstream and casual shooter players was Halo 2 in my opinion. Both Halo 3 and Reach had the non-hardcore Halo players move on the next thing after a couple of months.
Pretty much, hopefully Halo 4 finds a way to strike CoD and Battlefield 3

feel

A few years back, the first guy mentioning something related to the contents of the original post would usually arrive by reply #36 or so, if a Halo thread wasn't created by Ghaleon, fun times.

Steelyuhas said:
That's because Halo 2 didn't have to compete with Call of Duty post Modern Warfare. You would've seen the same thing with Halo 2.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
That's because Halo 2 didn't have to compete with Call of Duty post Modern Warfare. You would've seen the same thing with Halo 2.
To say the same thing differently, the Xbox and Live userbases are much larger and more diverse now than then. Halo 2 launched in 2004 and basically was Xbox Live for a year, until the 360 launched (and to an extent, for a while after as well). As it expanded both new audiences and new competition (CoD) arrived.

Striker

Dax01 said:
You could strongly argue games like CoD and Battlefield have gotten better, thus a larger fanbase. Meanwhile, the Halo's necessarily have not.

Striker said:
You could strongly argue games like CoD and Battlefield have gotten better, thus a larger fanbase. Meanwhile, the Halo's necessarily have not.

The last good CoD was the first MW, since then it's been shit.

Havok

Striker said:
I don't think this is a good predictor of anything. On the Xbox you had Halo 2, Rainbox Six 3, that awful Battlefield Modern Combat port, and the Ghost Recon games. That's about it. The move to a modern/gritty-gory setting with stuff like Call of Duty 4 and Gears is the new big thing, and so games that do that succeed, while scifi hits a lower point in its cycle with a billion competitors. The Halo games don't necessarily cater to the one-game-only crowd - that's what the player investment stuff in Call of Duty does by constantly patting the player on the head so they feel like a badass. Its natural and isn't really a quality issue..

I'm just thinking about Halo: CE:A's remake maps. Which one would play very differently than the original because of AA? Because of Sprint some weapon layers would be fuck up. Yeah I'm thinking very negative. But is there a map, that would play completely different in a positive way?

Hypertrooper said:
I'm just thinking about Halo: CE:A's remake maps. Which one would play very differently than the original because of AA? Because of Sprint some weapon layers would be fuck up. Yeah I'm thinking very negative. But is there a map, that would play completely different in a positive way?
the only thing that comes up is how horribly Damnation will play with Jetpacks

Hypertrooper said:

Backwash + Armor Lock instantly becomes everyone's favorite.

trollface.jpg

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Boarding Action would be interesting with jet pack and hologram. (Yes, I know it's not coming.) That's the only one I can think of.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
Players Online (24h): 710,717

I don't know if it's true, but I read on here yesterday that CoD has 7 million unique users per day, that's insane.

On another note, I seriously can't wait for the TU, and the hopeful nuking of bloom. Also, tried MLG again, dunno what it is about that playlist, but I get the absolute worst connections in there. People standing on grenades, doesn't even effect them, 2 people shooting one guy, can't kill him, terrible experience and I went +6 with 11 assists!

Kuroyume said:
I skimmed through it and don't see anything interesting. I thought it was going to have some big news.
It has suprises. We finally got the new sparkast and an HD Version of the Halo: Anniversary Terminal trailer. But no one said something about big news.

Ruze789

Trasher said:
I just kind of thought of a silly idea. I feel like the warthog is pretty iconic to Halo, so I at least hope that maybe someone else here tries to come up with something to do with it as well.

hog shirt[/MG]

Just threw it together super fast, and I obviously copied Devo's NeoGAF ball logo haha.[/QUOTE]

Haha I like this one. I was tryin to think of button presses and nothing like that ever occurred to me. Very nice.

feel

It's not really mocking him, but someone link EXIT.gif to jessica on her tweeterz anyway.

I still haven't found good use for the longer and backwards version that has a IMMA CHILL caption.

Striker said:
You could strongly argue games like CoD and Battlefield have gotten better, thus a larger fanbase.
Ghaleon and Havok have already touched on the subject and have put it in better terms than I'm about to, but I'm going to post my small addition anyway.
Halo 2 and Halo 3 came out in different eras. Trying to put the two on equal footing is one of the dumbest false equivalences on the gaming side. Halo 2's online was leagues ahead of anything else out there. People met up in Halo 2 to discuss what other games they were going to play. When the Xbox 360 launch, Xbox Live was available from the start with many new features. The Xbox 360 significantly broadened the base, making way for new games.
Meanwhile, the Halo's necessarily have not.
And what are you trying to imply here? That people moved from Halo to Call of Duty because a significant chunk of the fanbase thought that Halo 3 was inferior to Halo 2? I know you think Halo 3 and Reach are inferior to Halo 2, but it's absurd to turn that opinion into an implied reason for Call of Duty's success. You forget that Gears of War was the most played game on Xbox Live (yes, ahead of Halo 2) for awhile leading up to Halo 3's release. Is this because a large majority of Halo 2 players who thought Halo 1 was better moved to Gears? Absolutely not. It's because the base was broadened and developers put more time into the online aspects of their games.

Tawpgun

Letters said:
It's not really mocking him, but someone link EXIT.gif to jessica on her tweeterz anyway.

I don't tweet and shit, but for anyone's convenience...

enAfT.jpg

EDIT: Son of a bitch it doesn't animate. I saved it though. :( The face is still good for a reaction image I guess...
Kuroyume said:
I skimmed through it and don't see anything interesting. I thought it was going to have some big news.
Might be some juicy info in the Sparkcast. Will listen tonight.

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon and Havok have already touched on the subject and have put it in better terms than I'm about to, but I'm going to post my small addition anyway.
Halo 2 and Halo 3 came out in different eras. Trying to put the two on equal footing is one of the dumbest false equivalences on the gaming side. Halo 2's online was leagues ahead of anything else out there. People met up in Halo 2 to discuss what other games they were going to play. When the Xbox 360 launch, Xbox Live was available from the start with many new features. The Xbox 360 broadened significantly broadened the base, making way for new games.

And what are you trying to imply here? That people moved from Halo to Call of Duty because a significant chunk of the fanbase thought that Halo 3 was inferior to Halo 2? I know you think Halo 3 and Reach are inferior to Halo 2, but it's absurd to turn that opinion into an implied reason for Call of Duty's success. You forget that Gears of War was the most played game on Xbox Live (yes, ahead of Halo 2) for awhile leading up to Halo 3's release. Is this because a large majority of Halo 2 players who thought Halo 1 was better moved to Gears? Absolutely not. It's because the base was broadened and developers put more time into the online aspects of their games.

Halo 2 was the original party chat.

feel

A27 Tawpgun said:
I don't tweet and shit, but for anyone's convenience...

enAfT.jpg

EDIT: Son of a bitch it doesn't animate. I saved it though. :( The face is still good for a reaction image I guess...

Might be some juicy info in the Sparkcast. Will listen tonight.
Tinypic likes to troll with their .jpg extensions on everything, you need to save it as a .gif from there if you want to keep all frames. I'm not at home and on my cell right now btw, that's why I didn't post it myself.

Top Bottom