• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

feel

kylej said:
I like Avatar because of the hot hot blue cat chicks.
34grkoo.jpg

would

Booshka

The Real Napsta said:
Well played Karl.

I missed it, didn Turning point win against victorious secret?
Yes they did, Ninja went huge in one game, then Mikwen went huge in the next. Best Man playing the worst I'd say, and Walshy playing pretty well and going positive.

I just quit out of my first match since Bungie introduced the credit jackpots for not leaving.

Fuck this game today. I walked around a local game store trying to decide what I would buy with the money I could get from trading in Reach.

I'm going to go read a book.

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
Any of that look forgeable? :/
It's forgeable in the same way as all the other non-forge oriented maps in Reach. The only things that are likely to be forgeable in the remake maps (unless there is a new canvas map) are things like the connected bridges on Damnation, and other components that have been changed to support Reach's sandbox.

Tawpgun

Homeboyd said:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/117/1172962/halo-combat-evolved-anniversary-20110606000301981.jpg

Any of that look forgeable? :/
This is why I'm perplexed that people want a covenant forge world. Such awkward objects.

Also, would anyone be willing to help me film scenes for my machinima? I need a few people on at like 8/9 EST.

If everything goes well it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
This is why I'm perplexed that people want a covenant forge world. Such awkward objects.

Also, would anyone be willing to help me film scenes for my machinima? I need a few people on at like 8/9 EST.

If everything goes well it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
As in be in them? I can be on.

Homeboyd

A27 Tawpgun said:
If that rumor hadn't started I don't think you would see as many people supporting it. People just want something new and are willing to throw some $$ at it. Would be pretty sweet to see the new "press back for classic graphics" being offered in forge but would instead cycle through various skins.

If they could figure out a PC map creator that could work with Halo 4 and sell it separately... Would want.

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
If that rumor hadn't started I don't think you would see as many people supporting it. People just want something new and are willing to throw some $$ at it. Would be pretty sweet to see the new "press back for classic graphics" being offered in forge but would instead cycle through various skins.

If they could figure out a PC map creator that could work with Halo 4 and sell it separately... Would want.
Don't even start. Payed access means would mean that you would have to pay to get peoples maps, because no one is going to pay for access to the SDK and then put in actual dev time and expect no return.

Free access though would be fantastic, because it means that you just put out your own tools with some limitations like the H1 HEK, build a secure pipeline for the content, and watch as people do work for you and breath limitless new life into the game.

Nutter

Hitmonchan107 said:
I just quit out of my first match since Bungie introduced the credit jackpots for not leaving.

Fuck this game today. I walked around a local game store trying to decide what I would buy with the money I could get from trading in Reach.

Welcome to Reach.

Enjoy your Stay!

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
Don't even start. Payed access means would mean that you would have to pay to get peoples maps, because no one is going to pay for access to the SDK and then put in actual dev time and expect no return.

Free access though would be fantastic, because it means that you just put out your own tools with some limitations like the H1 HEK, build a secure pipeline for the content, and watch as people do work for you and breath limitless new life into the game.
That's why I said theyd have to figure out a way to make it work (integrate maps from a shared database so that you could download maps to your HDD like it was DLC.)

I agree community maps bring new life to the game but I don't see devs spending the time and money on what we really want with Forge unless they had some way to prove it's value.. i.e. sells. I'm with you 100% but I don't think we'll be satisfied with our editing abilities as long as it's "free." I also realize we'll never be satisfied anyways no matter what's offered.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:

T.U. and the Cassic+ stuff are relatively right around the corner, just play or do other stuff. It's supposed to be a hobby, something for fun during free time, I don't really get why people waste time playing something that causes so much disgust just because of the Halo name, worthless credits and the occasional hint of fun, when they could be doing something better.

It was hard after being so used to consistency of high quality and lack of disapointment for so many years, but I already grew out of the habit of playing whatever the Halo community is supposed to be playing. From now on if current Halo sucks, I'll be relaxing in the sidelines until it's good again and let the rest of the community do harm to their health while doing something that is supposed to be doing the opposite.

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
That's why I said theyd have to figure out a way to make it work (integrate maps from a shared database so that you could download maps to your HDD like it was DLC.)

I agree community maps bring new life to the game but I don't see devs spending the time and money on what we really want with Forge unless they had some way to prove it's value.. i.e. sells. I'm with you 100% but I don't think we'll be satisfied with our editing abilities as long as it's "free." I also realize we'll never be satisfied anyways no matter what's offered.
Valve's integration of community maps into TF2 is pretty satisfying. Translated to a console environment it would be like this (assuming they finally go about integrating server browsers into Halo): You're allowed custom servers that have any maps you want on them. You can get the maps from MS's servers after they have gone through a non-malicousness test. After they're signed off anyone can DL them, either from an in-game listing, a site-listing, or when you attempt to join a game with custom map. From there the best community maps will get picked up by 343 and made into a pack that can be either auto-dowloaded once a month or whenever the user chooses. These maps will be integrated into the ranked systems, be it in official servers or the matchmaking system.

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
Valve's integration of community maps into TF2 is pretty satisfying. Translated to a console environment it would be like this (assuming they finally go about integrating server browsers into Halo): You're allowed custom servers that have any maps you want on them. You can get the maps from MS's servers after they have gone through a non-malicousness test. After they're signed off anyone can DL them, either from an in-game listing, a site-listing, or when you attempt to join a game with custom map. From there the best community maps will get picked up by 343 and made into a pack that can be either auto-dowloaded once a month or whenever the user chooses. These maps will be integrated into the ranked systems, be it in official servers or the matchmaking system.
That is literally exactly what I was referring to. Thank you for posting it.. I wasn't familiar with their system.

Would be awesome.

We also haven't had the opportunity to see what 343 can do with forge (or wants to do with forge) since tempest was our only other real forge map and it came from Bungie. I'm hoping it's a priority. Although I'm sure there are plenty of others who disagree.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
I kind of hope Halo 4 has a firefight system with objectives. That is one thing I feel Firefight could benefit from having.
Have you seen Horde 2.0?

I think something like that would make it a lot more interesting. It would give you secondary objectives. Get points. Spend them on weapon drops/defenses.

wwm0nkey said:
I kind of hope Halo 4 has a firefight system with objectives. That is one thing I feel Firefight could benefit from having.

Almost like a mini campaign mission right?

Or generator defense, that thing no one remember exists.

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
Almost like a mini campaign mission right?

Or generator defense, that thing no one remember exists.
Basically but I mean like have a gametype set up where its CTF and your opponents are all skirmishers or something. Or arm a bomb in a base full of elites or ect.

wwm0nkey said:
Basically but I mean like have a gametype set up where its CTF and your opponents are all skirmishers or something. Or arm a bomb in a base full of elites or ect.
I think about something like that, too. I would call it "Firefight Invasion". Your main goal is the same: Survive and get a lot of points. At any time, there will be a secondary objective. These secondary objective could be "plant the bomb at a specific position", "destroy this vehicle", "protect/defend these persons/objects" or "hold a specific position". You don't have to fulfill these secondary objective. But if you do them, you'll get a special vehicle, weapon or lives.

Booshka

Hypertrooper said:
I think about something like that, too. I would call it "Firefight Invasion". Your main goal is the same: Survive and get a lot of points. At any time, there will be a secondary objective. These secondary objective could be "plant the bomb at a specific position", "destroy this vehicle", "protect/defend these persons/objects" or "hold a specific position". You don't have to fulfill these secondary objective. But if you do them, you'll get a special vehicle, weapon or lives.
Sounds like Section 8 essentially.

Booshka

Hypertrooper said:
Does Section 8 have "firefight"-like mode? I have both titles here, but I never really played the XBLA one.(And the Retail game I only finished the campaign)
I don't think so, I was talking about Section 8's MP, I'm talking about Prejudice as well. I remember hearing that "they"
Shadowrun dudes
were thinking about having a currency system to buy weapons and vehicles in Invasion based on objectives and slaying. That sounds a lot like what Section 8 does, but is probably too hardcore for the usual Halo player that just wants to run around and pick shit up that falls from the sky.

Booshka

LOL Puckett talking about framerate problems, GG Forge World. Nice snipes by Enable, looked like Classic were just trying to not get blained instead of worry about playing CTF.

Went outside and played paintball at a course with some friends. Mostly neutral-flag gametypes, although we did play one game of Assault (instant arm).

Pros:
- No Armor Lock
- There were only one or two grenades used all day.
- Latency seemed pretty low, although I definitely wasn't host.
- Framerate didn't suffer, even on 20v20 games.

Cons:
- Starting weapon had AWFUL bloom/spread that wouldn't settle.
- Weapon pickup was disabled and there wasn't any extra ammo on the map.
- Movement speed and jump height were painfully low. I need to hit the gym.
- Lack of flag indicators made it hard to determine which team had it and where they were.
- Map design was terrible (too many soft kill zones), thankfully there were no jetpacks because they would just break it.

Also the cR payout was practically nothing.

ncsuDuncan said:
Went outside and played paintball at a course with some friends. Mostly neutral-flag gametypes, although we did play one game of Assault (instant arm).

Pros:
- No Armor Lock
- There were only one or two grenades used all day.
- Latency seemed pretty low, although I definitely wasn't host.
- Framerate didn't suffer, even on 20v20 games.

Cons:
- Starting weapon had AWFUL bloom/spread that wouldn't settle.
- Weapon pickup was disabled and there wasn't any extra ammo on the map.
- Movement speed and jump height were painfully low. I need to hit the gym.
- Lack of flag indicators made it hard to determine which team had it and where they were.
- Map design was terrible (too many soft kill zones), thankfully there were no jetpacks because they would just break it.

Also the cR payout was practically nothing.
:^) This made my day.

Sorry I was such a negative nancy today. I made a terrible batch of spaghetti earlier, and it's been all downhill from there.

GhaleonEB

Phatcorns said:
Still the best Halo video ever made, and yes I made it and I am gratuitously tooting my own horn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbRV_Ow_G0

Halo 3 Big Team is still the most fun I've ever had with Halo.
That video is so beautiful. The Sandtrap footage reminded me of how awesome that map was for vehicular brawls.

Someone needs to do a montage in similar style showing how poor Reach's BTB is.

Karl2177 said:
No. I think Beastly is your better one, personally. Either way, Halo 3 BTB was great. If only it had Reach's netcode... I would never play another video game again.
He wins for the music alone. I had to close that after about 30 seconds.

Tawpgun

Phatcorns said:
Still the best Halo video ever made, and yes I made it and I am gratuitously tooting my own horn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbRV_Ow_G0

Halo 3 Big Team is still the most fun I've ever had with Halo.
This is always what Halo means to me. Epic carnage. Vehicle and Infantry interplay. Way too much fun.

BTB was the definitive Halo for me. I loved the competetive 4 v 4 environments a lot too, but BTB is always "True Halo" to me.

Until Reach... now I don't want to play my favorite playlist because what Reach has done to it :(

Guess the only thing to do is to dong in Objective/Squad/Premium Battle until Halo 4. Bring back BTB to its former glory!

Sai-kun

Banned
My Carter figure is so nice 'n pretty. I'm scared to try and fit the DMR into his hand because I'm afraid I'll break it, but it's still nice.

A27 Tawpgun said:
This is always what Halo means to me. Epic carnage. Vehicle and Infantry interplay. Way too much fun.

BTB was the definitive Halo for me. I loved the competetive 4 v 4 environments a lot too, but BTB is always "True Halo" to me.

Until Reach... now I don't want to play my favorite playlist because what Reach has done to it :(

Guess the only thing to do is to dong in Objective/Squad/Premium Battle until Halo 4. Bring back BTB to its former glory!

Premium Battle is almost a good fix :/.

Alas, Halo 3 BTB... I know what you mean Topgun, I know what you mean :/.

Top Bottom