• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tunavi

Banned
2816750-gallery.png

New page needs a nice header

If the classic is done right (no bloom, no armor abilities, faster movement speed, higher jump), I'll never ever stop playing it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That is sexy as hell. As shitty as the game types and maps in reach can be, there are few things more fun then getting a group of buddies and playing halo for a few hours together, and that's why I'll always come back.

Tunavi said:
holy shit im doing the pelican easter egg with hitmonchan and it erases all invisible walls on the map. Right now we are exploring the glassed city in the distance in pelicans. im flying towards the space elevator, gonna see if its an actual object
It's not. It's part of the matte painting at the edge of the map.

You can fly up to the Covenant ships in the sky, though.

Tunavi

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
It's not. It's part of the matte painting at the edge of the map.

You can fly up to the Covenant ships in the sky, though.
yup I found out the hard way :(
Still, gliding over the glassed surface in pelicans with hitmonchan was incredible, it was so eerie...
New Alexandria is by far my favorite environment in any Halo game.

Tunavi said:
yup I found out the hard way :(
Still, gliding over the glassed surface in pelicans with hitmonchan was incredible, it was so eerie...
New Alexandria is by far my favorite environment in any Halo game.
Great way to redeem the day.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Halo 2's BTB had the better asymmetric maps. Relic, Terminal and Headlong were all incredible maps; asymmetric game types on symmetric maps just don't quite cut it. I'd put Halo 3's on par with Halo 2, if not better. Valhalla over Coagulation, Avalanche over Containment. The only Halo 2 symmetric map I really miss is Waterworks.

But I'll take Halo 3's combat sandbox over the loss of those maps any day. The Chopper, & Mongoose, the better vehicle/infantry balance, it all clicked so good.
Yup, and mancannons are a lot more exciting than teleporters.
GhaleonEB said:
The Banshee trick on The Package is also awesome - soft and hard kill volumes just disappear. My daughter and I flew to (and through) the mountains several miles away in the distance. So fun.

Miller's easter eggs are always awesome, but he outdid himself in Reach.
I really, really enjoyed the Pelican easter egg. At first I didn't realize that the soft kill barrier had been broken, but once I did, I explored the entire map. The Package easter egg would've been perfect had we no fall damage and no fall timer.
Karl2177 said:
No. I think Beastly is your better one, personally. Either way, Halo 3 BTB was great. If only it had Reach's netcode... I would never play another video game again.
Yeah, I think this is your best.

Objective Firefight sounds Great.

Scenarios for great games are flooding into my head already.

Coagulation, bases have been removed replaced with one big centralized base, multiple AI turrets like those found at halseys lab are positioned round the base. Covenant attacking from all sides, 10-15 minutes timer at which point invasion esq air support is called in and the area is bombed.

High Ground but on a larger scale, Pelican drops Spartans at the beach and they have to make their way up the hill to the back of the base and plant a bomb. Base is heavily defended, snipers and turrets shooting down as you run up the hill.

Narrows, bridge has been made longer and one side is more enclosed. Players attack the enclosed side have to steal flag/core/intel and run it home.

Kuroyume

Banned
That screenshot at the top of the page is from multiplayer?

I wonder how they are going to handle the armory in that game. I'm guessing the Reach armory appears in Anniversary so does that mean I could use my spartan in the game? Etc.

The screenshot looks like multiplayer because of the helmet and player color but I don't recall spartan vs elites being in the game anymore unless that's an Invasion map.

Kuroyume said:
That screenshot at the top of the page is from multiplayer?

I wonder how they are going to handle the armory in that game. I'm guessing the Reach armory appears in Anniversary so does that mean I could use my spartan in the game? Etc.

The screenshot looks like multiplayer because of the helmet and player color but I don't recall spartan vs elites being in the game anymore unless that's an Invasion map.
If I were to guess? The Armory is tied to your Gamertag. Everything you've unlocked in Reach will be unlocked in CEA.

And Elites mixed with Spartans can be on in customs.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Probably Classic which allows for equal player base traits between Spartans and Elites. That would be my guess.

Booshka said:
Some of these Halo opinions are hard to read at times.
Gotta be different somehow.

The teleporters in the BTB maps all served a purpose one form or another.

Coagulation - travel to middle immediately, quick exit with flag/bomb
Waterworks - travel to Rockets spawn, enabled exit for flag
Headlong - just allowed movement from offensive building to Sword building
Relic - vital for Flag and Bomb rather than traversing with a vehicle
Containment - travel to outside base quickly, quick exit from base with flag/bomb

The man-cannons can work fine in a way of Colossus and Ascension of shooting players up to a higher level of the map. Air lifts are fine - not sure why some act like one method is superior to all when its in fact no different in terms of map movement or of getting killed/killing. One thing teleporters have over those other ways are telefrag (at least in Halo 2) and blocking the teleporters with a vehicle, which takes away their ability to go through. Worked well in CTF Coag when you grabbed their flag and didn't want them coming through.

Tawpgun

Mancannons are better for those straight shots. Headlong could have had a mancannon.

But maps like Beaver Creek. Relic. Containment. Those NEED teleporters.

I hope they scrap Invasion or make the maps for it BTB first, invasion second. Juices was right in that they need to make sure the maps play amazing for all gametypes they'd be on. I'm going to look at all the problems with BTB maps.

Highlands is probably the best BTB map but it needs a few things to actually make it good.

1. More vehicles. Rockets at each base. Plasma Launcher. Laser..... for 2 warthogs? Add another Warthog per base. Hell maybe even a wraith.

2.Put the laser in the middle of the map and put the snipers on the sides. 8 shots. Put rockets where Shotgun is. Just SOMETHING for people to leave the goddamn bases.

Woorloog

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Highlands is probably the best BTB map but it needs a few things to actually make it good.
Indeed.
By the way, how'd you like changing the side-to-side teleporter to mancannons? Might reduce telecamping a bit. Just a thought, i like mancannons.
Wouldn't mind an additional way to the laser platform, people tend to stay there as it is more defensible position compared to plasma launcher platform.

Tawpgun

Woorloog said:
Indeed.
By the way, how'd you like changing the side-to-side teleporter to mancannons? Might reduce telecamping a bit. Just a thought, i like mancannons.
Wouldn't mind an additional way to the laser platform, people tend to stay there as it is more defensible position compared to plasma launcher platform.
I thought the sides could have used mancannons as well. Unfortunately the most powerful one isn't powerful enough.

The map just needs better flow. The middle is no mans land and that needs to change. Needs to be something worth getting down there.

But even a port of H2's maps couldn't fully save Reach BTB. The entire sandbox is bad.

Only Halo 4 can save it. Let's hope in the beta we get to play a really good arena map and a good BTB map to test this on. We only had Invasion in the Reach Beta. Gotta get that 8 v 8 (or more....?) in.

Falt

So dramatic. Highlands is great!

I love certain affinity's approach to objective style maps. The only thing that sticks out for me in Highlands are the bases. Easy to defend, awkward to attack, unless you're jetpacking.

Also, Tempest.

Also, Premium Battle.

I've been pretty much playing Premium Battle and Squad Slayer exclusively these last few weeks. Those playlists "saved" Reach for me.

Also, funny but... I like Reach.

MrBig

The problem with Highlands is not with the map design, but with the poor weapon placement that encourages turtling and base camping.
A27 Tawpgun said:
But even a port of H2's maps couldn't fully save Reach BTB. The entire sandbox is bad.
My list of wants for the TU and the Classic playlists.

1. Bloom. Gone.
2. Removal of inertia based player movement.
3. Higher base speed and jump (done correctly, not with a finagling of the custom options).
4. Increased pistol clip and slight damage increase, so that all the other weapons won't have to be universally bumped and we're left with an op AR.
5. Damage tables for the Sniper edited to decrease vehicle damage, and vehicle health tied to driver health.
6. Removed Banshee bomb, or at least increased cooldown and decreased angle of attack.
7. Universal nerfing of the Scorpion.
8. 3 hit melee.
9. Shield popping mechanic removed.
10. More guest-free playlists.

There are many more changes of course but these are what are pertinent to me to have a good experience.

e: remembered about this site someone posted a while ago. http://halogrease.com/sort/posted/
Someone put up a game today. I'm going to check it out.

Falt said:
So dramatic. Highlands is great!

I love certain affinity's approach to objective style maps. The only thing that sticks out for me in Highlands are the bases. Easy to defend, awkward to attack, unless you're jetpacking.

Also, Tempest.

Also, Premium Battle.

I've been pretty much playing Premium Battle and Squad Slayer exclusively these last few weeks. Those playlists "saved" Reach for me.

Also, funny but... I like Reach.
Yep. Premium Battle, Premium Slayer(SlayerDRM), Team Objective and Squad Slayer are the only playlist I'm playing the last few weeks with Hydranockz, ZalinKrow and Xand. The playlist are AL-free and I only hope they will be jet-pack free in a few weeks. And they should add Team Objective in Squad Slayer.

About the Highlands bases: Really? You can easily attack them, when the whole team is working together. And that's the reason I love Highlands: Either you attack and let's your base defendless, or you defend your base the whole time. And there arises the tension of the map: If you have the flag, the enemies will have your flag maybe too. You have to kill the whole opposite team. Right now Highlands is the best DLC map. And there are DMR/AR starts.(urgh I would prefer DMR/Pistol starts)

Hypertrooper said:
Yep. Premium Battle, Premium Slayer(SlayerDRM), Team Objective and Squad Slayer are the only playlist I'm playing the last few weeks with Hydranockz, ZalinKrow and Xand. The playlist are AL-free and I only hope they will be jet-pack free in a few weeks. And they should add Team Objective in Squad Slayer.

About the Highlands bases: Really? You can easily attack them, when the whole team is working together. And that's the reason I love Highlands: Either you attack and let's your base defendless, or you defend your base the whole time. And there arises the tension of the map: If you have the flag, the enemies will have your flag maybe too. You have to kill the whole opposite team. Right now Highlands is the best DLC map. And there are DMR/AR starts.(urgh I would prefer DMR/Pistol starts)

On Highland's absolutely agreed, me, Overdoziz and the guys usually alway capture the flag on highlands, you have to attack as a full team on that map for any kind of success, and that's why i love it. Saying that i wouldn't mind if a power weapon was placed on the middle island (site b), that whole area get's ignored.
Also condemned is also glorious, if we ever get a match without people quitting on the other side.

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
Speedrun Nightfall. you can get the challenge done in like 45 minutes.
I have gotten the nightfall speedrun down to 4 minutes. I don't enjoy it. I'd rather play through the campaign.
And if I really wanted to cheat it I could just do the cut-scene glitch and get the challenge done in like 5 minutes.

MrBig said:
I have gotten the nightfall speedrun down to 4 minutes. I don't enjoy it. I'd rather play through the campaign.
And if I really wanted to cheat it I could just do the cut-scene glitch and get the challenge done in like 5 minutes.

I like speed runs, the campaign is boring as hell IMO. To each there own.

Tunavi said:
http://download.halowaypoint.com/co...39bf14a959b3bd04b9043862a/2816750-gallery.png
New page needs a nice header

If the classic is done right (no bloom, no armor abilities, faster movement speed, higher jump), I'll never ever stop playing it.
The way the lighting hits the walkway it looks like the part filling in the gap on the right is a Forge object (meaning we can bring the gaps back from Halo 1). Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

Either way, that map looks gorgeous.

PNut said:
Loved it. Camp bubble shields with Sniper/Laser or Banshee the whole time. You must of searched solo most games.

No did the whole dong on bad kids with HaloGAF. Probably won 90% of my BTB games with absurdly high K/D's. Just boring thats all. Couldn't wait til some people left so we could go into a better playlist with less Bad Kids.

ncsuDuncan said:
The way the lighting hits the walkway it looks like the part filling in the gap on the right is a Forge object (meaning we can bring the gaps back from Halo 1). Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

Either way, that map looks gorgeous.
I thought that too. Damnation already got the change from a Forerunner-themed map to a Convenant-themed map. Maybe we will see this change on other maps, too. Reach has a lot of human-themed map, even if you think that they aren't comparable with Halo 2 city-theme. We will get the rumored Covenant-themed Forgeworld. (And Headlong isn't based on NM, but on a Covenant-city.)

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
I thought that too. Damnation already got the change from a Forerunner-themed map to a Convenant-themed map. Maybe we will see this change on other maps, too. Reach has a lot of human-themed map, even if you think that they aren't comparable with Halo 2 city-theme. We will get the rumored Covenant-themed Forgeworld. (And Headlong isn't based on NM, but on a Covenant-city.)
That would be absolutely atrocious. Even worse than Forgeworld. Both the forerunners and covenant are absurdly one-color dominant. Humans in Halo are the only ones to have an decent amount of color. Not to mention forging with all rounded pieces would be terrible, along with a covenant Headlong being a disgrace.

I always assumed that Damnation was a covenant outpost on Halo until someone convinced me otherwise, so the change isn't even significant.

Falt

Hypertrooper said:

Well, that's the basis for all objective type games, really.

Highlands is one of my favourite objective maps in Reach. The top of the base promotes camping, particularly with the shotgun and camo. Being that the only way is up (hoho), I feel it creates an awkward space to attack. DMR can become quite useless in that space unless you and your opponent are at the furthest possible distance.

That said, I've rarely experienced a stalemate on highlands.

MrBig said:
That would be absolutely atrocious. Even worse than Forgeworld. Both the forerunners and covenant are absurdly one-color dominant. Humans in Halo are the only ones to have an decent amount of color. Not to mention forging with all rounded pieces would be terrible, along with a covenant Headlong being a disgrace.

I always assumed that Damnation was a covenant outpost on Halo until someone convinced me otherwise, so the change isn't even significant.
tbh. I don't really mind. If you get the Covenant and the Forerunner palette of Forge object in this "forge world, you can make beautiful maps. Otherwise after 10hours playing these maps in MM, the look of this forgeworld would be awful again. And I would have a dislike against it like I have witht the FW worlds right now.

Falt said:
Well, that's the basis for all objective type games, really.

Highlands is one of my favourite objective maps in Reach. The top of the base promotes camping, particularly with the shotgun and camo. Being that the only way is up (hoho), I feel it creates an awkward space to attack. DMR can become quite useless in that space unless you and your opponent are at the furthest possible distance.

That said, I've rarely experienced a stalemate on highlands.
I've never experienced the situation, you described. And a stalemate. A stalemate occured rarely, too, because we always win the match.

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
tbh. I don't really mind. If you get the Covenant and the Forerunner palette of Forge object in this "forge world, you can make beautiful maps. Otherwise after 10hours playing these maps in MM, the look of this forgeworld would be awful again. And I would have a dislike against it like I have witht the FW worlds right now.
Human objects. User definable colors.

Have the alpha mix for the object colors blend with the object textures in different ways so that the author can do whatever that want with the coloring of their maps. Wide array of objects, even if they have to contract them all out like Bungie did for Forgeworld.

MrBig said:
Human objects. User definable colors.

Have the alpha mix for the object colors blend with the object textures in different ways so that the author can do whatever that want with the coloring of their maps. Wide array of objects, even if they have to contract them all out like Bungie did for Forgeworld.

If you can, get on Halo, Ive got a new idea for a mini game to show you.

Hypertrooper said:

I always thought of Damnation as a covie map because it was pink.

Dynasty vs Str8 on the stream. Anyone want to predict the winner? I'm gonna go with Dynasty.

FyreWulff

It is a Covie map, it's description in Halo 1 is "Covenant Hydro-Processing Center".

You have to remember that the H1 multiplayer maps were done under the table and not by any of the campaign artists, and one of the guys was learning 3DSMax as he was going along, so the closest they could get to Covenant was using the color purple.

Dat extrude tool

GhaleonEB

RE: Arcadefight

In addition to the skull progression over the three rounds, the type of Heretic may we face escalates in each: regular, sniper and then (shudder) heavies. But aside from that progression, the enemy groupings are identical through all three rounds.

Not every round plays out the same, because five squad types are selected for the three main waves, with random selection on, and the boss wave alternates between two types. But there's still too much overlap in the enemy types. Below is a table showing the enemy squads by round in Firefight Arcade (as taken from Firefight Doubles). The darkening color gradient indicates an increase in enemy difficulty (or at least, change in type):

arcadefightnow.png

This has left the game feeling much more repetitive than it needs to be, or could be.

The approach I'd like to see taken is one where each slot is considered a class of enemy squad, and then alter its make up from one round to the next. Below is an example of that kind of progression:

arcadefightfuture.png

In this way the opening wave is not the same in every round, and the boss wave has a chance to get a bit crazy. (It's Arcadefight - no need for restraint, we've all got unlimited heavy ordnance.)

As is, all Elites and Brutes arrive with Jackals in tow; I'd alter their accompaniment each round, and also progress the Hunter group over the course, from easy to WTF.

I realize like, six people in HaloGAF care about this stuff, but since Firefight settings are easy to change and do make an impact, I wanted to point it out. I hope 343 takes a look at the settings and mixes in some variety as the game progresses (this is obviously just one possible setup among many).

Firefight Limited is similarly, um, limited. I might do a similar post on it down the road.

Top Bottom