• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
You guys do realize that something as big as a beta is part of a much larger marketing campaign and that campaign isn't going to start by some french journalist guessing that there's going to be a beta included wth CEA and have it confirmed by a forum post.

If there is a beta (and I'm guessng there is), it'll be announced when much of the press' attention is in one area (Halo Fest/PAX). My guess is that it'll be talked about during the Halo 4 panel.

wwm0nkey

Domino Theory said:
You guys do realize that something as big as a beta is part of a much larger marketing campaign and that campaign isn't going to start by some french journalist guessing that there's going to be a beta included wth CEA and have it confirmed by a forum post.

If there is a beta (and I'm guessng there is), it'll be announced when much of the press' attention is in one area (Halo Fest/PAX). My guess is that it'll be talked about during the Halo 4 panel.
Halo 4 surprise beta release during the VGA's

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:

Agree with the first bit.

Though Frankie pretty much confirmed there won't be anything of the sort talked about at Halofest.

Roy just got pwned by bloom.

Dani said:
Agree with the first bit.

Though Frankie pretty much confirmed there won't be anything of the sort talked about at Halofest.
Really? Frankie denied the rumour, that Saber Interactive is working on Halo:CE:A, when the Halo: CE rumours surfaced. (Or we thought that he denied it)

Tawpgun

They NEED a beta. And one where big changes can be made after the fact. Perhaps 343 realizes this and is doing a full on open beta. Anyone can download and play.

At the same time... I kind of liked how the Reach Beta was bundled with ODST. It meant more or less only Halo fans would provide input. Sort of disappointed CEA no has Beta.

FyreWulff

I'd prefer if a Halo beta were just openly downloadable. Stop artificially limiting the playerbase for one and just open it up to everybody.

I think they finally learned from the Gears 3 Beta that including betas with games doesn't instantly make it a super-seller.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
I'd prefer if a Halo beta were just openly downloadable. Stop artificially limiting the playerbase for one and just open it up to everybody.

I think they finally learned from the Gears 3 Beta that including betas with games doesn't instantly make it a super-seller.
Well I mean yeah look at bad Company 2, that game gained A LOT of hype after the open beta and I am sure the same will happen with the open BF3 beta this September.

Open Beta > Having to buy shit Beta

FyreWulff said:

You know, that the Bulletstorm Epic Edition was very limited in Europe? You only could get it at exclusive retailers. Otherwise in America the epic edition was pre-order exclusive in NA. And that was the problem with the game. If every 360 copy of the game had had the Gears 3 beta, the sales would have been different.

Edit.: Instinct steaked sQ. Wow.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
You know, that the Bulletstorm Epic Edition was very limited in Europe? You only could get it at exclusive retailers. Otherwise in America the epic edition was pre-order exclusive in NA. And that was the problem with the game. If every 360 copy of the game had had the Gears 3 beta, the sales would have been different.

Oh yeah, that too. No idea why the hell they locked it behind preorders. It's like they set out to let as few people as possible play the game.

Don't know why it just didn't launch from Gears 2. I guess that would make too much sense.

FyreWulff said:
Oh yeah, that too. No idea why the hell they locked it behind preorders. It's like they set out to let as few people as possible play the game.

Don't know why it just didn't launch from Gears 2. I guess that would make too much sense.
+ You got a Gears 3 beta key for pre-ordering Gears 3. So that was the problem.

Halo: CE:A should give buyers the beta one or two weeks earlier and then it should be open. Otherwise a lot of people equate a beta with a demo of the game. And you could loose some buyers.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
+ You got a Gears 3 beta key for pre-ordering Gears 3. So that was the problem.

Halo: CE:A should give buyers the beta one or two weeks earlier and then it should be open. Otherwise a lot of people equate a beta with a demo of the game. And you could loose some buyers.

It probably doesn't help that Halo 3 and Reach's betas were actually true betas. The beta of most over Live games HAS been the demo, it's just they wait until the retail game comes out to make it normally downloadable. Recently: Crysis 2, Blur, etc.

I mean, Blur was very frank about it: "Blur Beta Demo". Heh.

FyreWulff

Also, for no reason at all, I decided to do a population sweep:

Reach:
R1V3q.png

Halo 3:
DPOcl.png

Halo 2 PC: (roughly 60 people are playing, only 2-3 servers full, rest are 1-4 people. You can see every server with population in the first browser page.)
kTR1i.png

Halo 2 Xbox:
sheisdeadjim.png

:lol

Halo PC/Mac:
FqMw2.jpg

Halo PC Custom Edition:
6yy1B.jpg

Even Team Objective has higher population than Halo 2..

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Jeremiah said:
The Optimatch forum will no longer be accessible on 8/2.

If there's any information you want to keep from this forum, get it BEFORE 8/2.

I posted before that it would be "expiring soon" - so for anyone who has been slacking on backing up info that they care about, this is your last chance.

Bye!

FyreWulff said:
It probably doesn't help that Halo 3 and Reach's betas were actually true betas. The beta of most over Live games HAS been the demo, it's just they wait until the retail game comes out to make it normally downloadable. Recently: Crysis 2, Blur, etc.

I mean, Blur was very frank about it: "Blur Beta Demo". Heh.
A beta should be played by players, who knows the previous game(If the game is a sequel of course). And I didn't mean that only hardcore fans should play the beta. Casual fans too.

Especially I hate to read: I played the beta and it was horrible experience, so I ain't buying the game and you should do it too. etc.

cory021

Neo Member
I think Jerehmiah just made the first poster's day.

Anyways, I just realized the vidoc is coming out Tuesday. That was a faster wait than I thought it would be.

FyreWulff

Dani said:

End of an era, really. That forum has been up and active since Halo 2 came out in 2004. I've made a lot of online and IRL friends from that forum.

It's also the only and last forum that requires you to be linked to a gamertag to post in at Bungie.net, too.

They should make it so they loop this music when you view the forum for the next two days.

wwm0nkey said:

I was the one that broke the news to the other Halo 2 holdouts when Bungie.net stopped being able to see us all online. They were not pleased in the slightest

Kuroyume

Banned
Public betas so far have not been a good thing for Halo. Ever since they started doing public betas the Halo games have not turned out well. Oh, please nerf the good weapons. Beef up the bad ones. Get rid of flag juggling. Sure, a few good things have come out of them but generally speaking more bad than good.

JB1981

i have been out of the loop for a while .... is there somewhere i can read the gameplay changes that will be made to the next title update. it seems like this is like some kind of savior update or something ....

Kuroyume said:
Public betas so far have not been a good thing for Halo. Ever since they started doing public betas the Halo games have not turned out well. Oh, please nerf the good weapons. Beef up the bad ones. Get rid of flag juggling. Sure, a few good things have come out of them but generally speaking more bad than good.

As much as I say that public betas are a must for AAA multiplayer shooter games these days, you really may be right.

Still to this day, upset about many of the changes post-Reach beta.

Homeboyd

JB1981 said:
i have been out of the loop for a while .... is there somewhere i can read the gameplay changes that will be made to the next title update. it seems like this is like some kind of savior update or something ....
They haven't been announced yet but 343 reps have mentioned that they will provide new playlists with the TU that will allow users to play Reach's MM with more 'classic' settings they may remember from CE. They aren't going to overhaul (or hardly touch) Reach's current MM settings. These playlists will exist side by side.

FyreWulff

JB1981 said:

No details. Reach itself will not be changed, all the 'new' stuff is going to be in separate playlists.

One can assume we know of at least one bugfix: the marketplace item limit (otherwise they can't release anymore DLC)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wow, I knew BTB was fucked, but I just played Territories on Boneyard and that shit couldn't be more onesided.

Nothing like getting spawn killed by Sniper, Banshee and Scorpion repeatedly.

Plywood said:
Wow, I knew BTB was fucked, but I just played Territories on Boneyard and that shit couldn't be more onesided.

I will never understand why the Scorpion is in Multiplayer. Yeah, tanks are cool, but they just aren't fun for anybody except the guy in the tank.

Monocle

OuterWorldVoice said:
I will be because it is not in any way linked to the Halo 4 beta. Nor does such a thing exist at this time.
Dream crusher! Not that I needed an additional inducement to buy Halo Anniversary.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
OH GOD!!!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!!!! Someone knock me out till Thursday please!!!!!

I want that vidoc damn it. I want it now.

Plywood said:

BTB is pointless in a non-full party, and sometimes just as pointless with a full party.

Hey You

Plywood said:

The entire boneyard should be used, not just where 2nd/3rd phase is.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
The problem is it's very hard to spread 16 players across that map, and without movement aids (teleporters, man cannons) if you spawn on the phase 1 side of things, it can be a lonely trek over to where the action is. It's just way to sprawling a space for traditional Halo BTB.

I find the entire Boneyard area quite perplexing. It's huge, intricate and detailed, yet most of the space is unused in both multiplayer and Campaign.

cory021

Neo Member
Hey You said:
I once tried to forge a Boneyard variation where one team spawned at the bridge where the Elite fireteam on the right side spawned in the first phase. The other base was the little loading bay on the other side of the map (the one that didn't have vehicles spawning in it). The ship in the middle would be the middle ground. It's too bad the only viable forge piece on Boneyard is the ramp.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why even have this match if SQ already got swept by God Squad? I'd just give up and save myself the embarrassment.

Top Bottom