• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

As much as it pains me to say it, once Halo CEA comes out I will probably only be playing multiplayer from the other disk. Classic+ is really the only thing that can save any scrap if Reach multiplayer to me right now, so it probably won't be that hard of a transition. Also, being guaranteed to play on maps that I know are good is just the icing on the cake.

You know what, I may not even pop in Halo Reach anymore. Every part of the game just feels boring to me now because most of it I can't stand. I would rather play a remastered Halo 1 campaign than Halo Reach's, and I can play firefight on Halo CEA, so.........

/rant

Hydranockz said:
50 game complete bonuses + slot bonuses + commendations earned = a lot of credits.

That is even assuming you win every match. To top that off with a reasonably large sum of credits seems fair.
Don't forget the 20% (of game complete payout) performance bonus. For a win in a 12 minute game of Premium Slayer, I get:

Game Complete: 4840
Performance Bonus: 968
Commendations: VARIES
Slot Machine: VARIES (x2, up to 6000)

Ties pay out a 10% performance bonus.

Miggytronz

Im_So_Pringles said:
As much as it pains me to say it, once Halo CEA comes out I will probably only be playing multiplayer from the other disk. Classic+ is really the only thing that can save any scrap if Reach multiplayer to me right now, so it probably won't be that hard of a transition. Also, being guaranteed to play on maps that I know are good is just the icing on the cake.

You know what, I may not even pop in Halo Reach anymore. Every part of the game just feels boring to me now because most of it I can't stand. I would rather play a remastered Halo 1 campaign than Halo Reach's, and I can play firefight on Halo CEA, so.........

/rant

THIS

Devolution said:
Honestly that's why I think Reach really gets to some people. All of this potential and some great concepts not entirely fleshed out, half-assed or not properly implemented. And it just adds up.

That has been the case for me the last few months. For the first few weeks the novelty of all these great new Halo game features was pretty cool. It looked like the challenge system, forge, and firefight would keep the game fresh for years, but then the seams started to show, and frustrations mounted and so on and so forth.

On the Weekly:

For those who would argue that 50 games worth of cR should be reward enough I say: the reward for games 1-49 is not all that different from the reward for games 1-50. That is why people get pissed at the weekly. Why even bother winning that 50th game?

Edited for further cR crybabying:

Credits would be great if they were tied to medals. That way you don't get anything by idling. During the post-game credit screen show what the medals paid out at then, if you were on the winning team/in the top 50% of a free-for-all game you get a jackpot/slotmachine sort of deal. Losers only get the payout for the medals they earned.

Im_So_Pringles said:
Also, being guaranteed to play on maps that I know are good is just the icing on the cake.
Haha. I love this comment, really. Because the map is a remake of a old good map, It doesn't mean that the map will be good in Reach, too. Reach is a lot of different than Halo 1 and Halo 2.

And everyone, who plays with me, know, that I hate the grenades in Reach. If 343i fix it, I'll be already in heaven.

Hypertrooper said:
Haha. I love this comment, really. Because the map is a remake of a old good map, It doesn't mean that the map will be good in Reach, too. Reach is a lot of different than Halo 1 and Halo 2.

And everyone, who plays with me, know, that I hate the grenades in Reach. If 343i will fix it, I'm already in heaven.

He's talking about just playing classic + though, which should be much more similar to Halo 1 and 2.

Speaking of which though, maybe the change Frankie is referring to that he thinks could easily get adapted to all the core Reach playlists is a change in grenade damage (which should be a part of the TU code, and not an option, but as long as we get it its cool I guess).

Played Hang 'Em High remake last night with AR/pistol start. Boy was I mad.

Plywood said:
Word. Also Devo host is awesome.

It rarely gives it to me and I got dat U-verse. I guess it would rather we play on some shit ass connection in bumfuck France.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
I would not want that. One of the few changes to Reach that I like is health not regenerating and health packs.
Unless they plan on adjusting (read: nerf nerf nerf please god nerf) grenade damage like you mentioned above, I think this is essential. Full-shielded grenade kills are one of the biggest problems I think the game has, and missing even one pip of health or a millimeter of shield causing a grenade death was a baffling decision.

I guess I'll be in whatever Classic++ options there are available, so it won't end up mattering that much to me, but man. That shit is busted.

Steelyuhas said:
He's talking about just playing classic + though, which should be much more similar to Halo 1 and 2.

Speaking of which though, maybe the change Frankie is referring to that he thinks could easily get adapted to all the core Reach playlists is a change in grenade damage (which should be a part of the TU code, and not an option, but as long as we get it its cool I guess).
I fixed the quote a bit. In the last phrase he said "to play on maps that I know are good is just the icing on the cake.", and my comment is about this.

I know that Certain Affinity will make awesome remakes, that will play awesome.

Hypertrooper said:
And everyone, who plays with me, know, that I hate the grenades in Reach. If 343i fix it, I'll be already in heaven.

I told someone yesterday always play like a grenade could fly up your ass at any given moment.

Devolution said:
I told someone yesterday always play like a grenade could fly up your ass at any given moment.

Words to live by IRL as well.

It's very annoying that, almost a year-and-a-half after they beta we are all still complaining about grenades being too powerful, movement being too slow, vehicles being too crappy, bloom being too random/spammy, etc etc etc. Couldn't all of that been fixed before last summer?

I want to love Bungie and this game so much but they seem to not want me to love them.

Somehow I feel like a .gif could've said all that better.

Hypertrooper said:
I fixed the quote a bit. In the last phrase he said "to play on maps that I know are good is just the icing on the cake.", and my comment is about this.

Let me edit my original statement to get an alternate point across: "to play on maps that I know will at least play a little bit better than Reach's shitty original, community, and forge remake maps. The fact that I know this is just icing on the cake."

There, is that a little clearer? haha

PS: This was not meant to be a hostile post. I know exactly where you were coming from, Hyper. They've tried remaking maps in the past and they end up not playing very well on new games. I too have faith in CA. They haven't really failed before (in my book) so I don't see why they wouldn't make these maps play great.

Havok said:
Unless they plan on adjusting (read: nerf nerf nerf please god nerf) grenade damage like you mentioned above, I think this is essential. Full-shielded grenade kills are one of the biggest problems I think the game has, and missing even one pip of health or a millimeter of shield causing a grenade death was a baffling decision.

I guess I'll be in whatever Classic++ options there are available, so it won't end up mattering that much to me, but man. That shit is busted.

Yeah I mean considering that it appears that default Reach is not going to have any hard changes, but just some options that may be implemented, Classic++ is really my hope for playing this game in November and into next year as well.

Hypertrooper said:

Aye, I see. And yeah these new maps will probably be better than anything else in Reach instantly, even if some of them don't work as well in Reach as in "classic Halo".

FyreWulff

So who's who in the machinima contest? Since all the submissions use your Real Facebook Name(tm) I don't know who's videos are from HBO/GAF

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
So who's who in the machinima contest? Since all the submissions use your Real Facebook Name(tm) I don't know who's videos are from HBO/GAF
I'm Tomasz Macieik. Look for the thumbnail of H3 Chief walking in the snow.

I'd appreciate votes :)

Is it better to spam the trigger or pace your shots when using the DMR? I've heard that you are supposed to shoot slower an account of the bloom, but then other people tell me to just pull the trigger as fast as you can because bloom doesn't really matter. Thanks!

MrBig

Is there anywhere to access the videos outside of facebook? I'm not going through that bullshit again. Even just a link to your youtube vid tawpgun.
NubCakes09 said:
Is it better to spam the trigger or pace your shots when using the DMR? I've heard that you are supposed to shoot slower an account of the bloom, but then other people tell me to just pull the trigger as fast as you can because bloom doesn't really matter. Thanks!
It doesn't work either way. Just keep doing whatever.

senador

Banned
MrBig said:
It doesn't work either way. Just keep doing whatever.

That's bologna and you know it. Bloom could be tweaked to work better (no headshots at full bloom, AR spread bigger-faster, etc) but pacing is still better than not.

Pace at distance, spam up close.

feel

NubCakes09 said:
pacing your shots means you're leaving the outcome to how lucky the other guy is with his dice roll, so you might as well spam and put your own luck into play too.

edit-

v yep, how hard is it to make the fucking shots of the main rifle go straight? Long range domination is not an excuse, it was never a problem in Halo1/2 because you still needed some skill to center the far away fast moving targets in the hollow reticule. Though, this whole longe range argument went out the window after they implemented a rifle with 3x zoom and a super tiny reticule... ugh...

Striker

MrBig said:
That means its broken.
Wouldn't say it means its broken. Just means its not an ideal primary precision rifle in competitive. Really the Halo 2 BR and Halo 1 Pistol were the only ones who were, to me at least.

I wonder how interested MLG is in the Title Update. I know it's a pain to have it installed on all of the tournament boxes, but I'm guessing some of the new options would be perfect for more competitive play.

Hell, what if MLG just dropped Reach and switched to CEA discs? lol

feel

If they don't drastically change their settings to take advantage of the new options (bloomless gameplay in particular), it will just confirm they're a joke of an organization.

Spamming is better close to close-mid, for everything aside from long range spam the first couple shots, then pace. If you spam all the way at close range, you can potentially kill them without a headshot before they can pace for the 5 shot with a headshot.

edit: if anyone watched Roy play this weekend you'll see what I mean.

Striker said:
Wouldn't say it means its broken. Just means its not an ideal primary precision rifle in competitive. Really the Halo 2 BR and Halo 1 Pistol were the only ones who were, to me at least.

Halo 3 BR works fine on LAN.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NubCakes09 said:
Well considering the fact that it's P2P that means everything changes on a game to game basis, from aim assist to bullet magnetism and nothing is consistent, so sometimes spam, sometimes pulse, good luck and welcome to Reach!

pWmTq.jpg

NubCakes09 said:
Is it better to spam the trigger or pace your shots when using the DMR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE&ob=av2e

Seriously though, like most online shooters, you have to adjust the way you play based on the host. It takes a couple of kills to figure this out obviously. Under no circumstances should you spam when playing a host on the other side of the world. Spamming is more effective when zoomed due to added magnetism.

As for the weekly, one upside is maybe, just maybe, randoms will attempt to NOT DIE 30 TIMES IN A SLAYER MATCH. The credit/challenge crowd might be incentivised to win instead of just participate like most of Reach mm. The only weekly's that have been of especial interest to me have been the Laso runs - they offered a fresh perspective and approach to campaign. The credit payout was ok for these weekly's but I didn't care because the challenge piqued my interest - it was a way to play the game I hadn't done before. Ultimately, this should be the ambition of the weekly's, to entice the player despite the payout. I have never completed a firefight weekly because it doesn't interest me beyond the odd game here or there. I wouldn't complete a firefight weekly for 50 grand.

Blinding

NubCakes09 said:

Depends on 1. the range, and 2. if you're host or not. Spamming is more effective for hosts on Live, not exactly sure why, but when I've been host I've been able to kill kids by spamming 5 shots from close to mid-range and sometimes even long range if bloom is liking me that day. Off host, I can only spam and get kills close range, and even then I still tend to pace my shots just because it's so inconsistent.

Letters said:
If they don't drastically change their settings to take advantage of the new options (bloomless gameplay in particular), it will just confirm they're a joke of an organization.

Not gonna lie I found it a joke they accepted some glitches into their gameplay. BxRing/BxBing can go the fuck to hell. I know some will definitely disagree but honestly if I wanted to play who can button mash first, I'd play a god damn fighter.

darthbob

ncsuDuncan said:
I wonder how interested MLG is in the Title Update. I know it's a pain to have it installed on all of the tournament boxes, but I'm guessing some of the new options would be perfect for more competitive play.

Hell, what if MLG just dropped Reach and switched to CEA discs? lol

I guess those 6 MP maps are gonna satiate the MLG Pros.

Striker said:
You could say the same thing for the DMR.

Bloom still exists on lan.

Wasnt today the day 343 gets handed the keys to Halo Reach? Cant wait to see what they have cooked up, any idea of if there will be a playlist update or is the TU the first thing to expect from them?

This year is flying by, before we know it CEA will be in our hands.

bobs99 ... said:
Bloom still exists on lan.

Wasnt today the day 343 gets handed the keys to Halo Reach? Cant wait to see what they have cooked up, any idea of if there will be a playlist update or is the TU the first thing to expect from them?

This year is flying by, before we know it CEA will be in our hands.
Tomorrow, sir. Tomorrow. 343i will handle the Playlist tomorrow.

Tawpgun

Plywood said:
Well considering the fact that it's P2P that means everything changes on a game to game basis, from aim assist to bullet magnetism and nothing is consistent, so sometimes spam, sometimes pulse, good luck and welcome to Reach!

pWmTq.jpg
lmao.

In all seriousness, if you're mid range... Spam until shields are off then settle the bloom for the final shot.

@miks The narration is from a friend. Music is Never Forget from Halo 3.

feel

thezerofire said:
Spamming is better close to close-mid, for everything aside from long range spam the first couple shots, then pace. If you spam all the way at close range, you can potentially kill them without a headshot before they can pace for the 5 shot with a headshot.

edit: if anyone watched Roy play this weekend you'll see what I mean.
I remember out-DMRing Roy twice in a single game after he got the drop on me both times. Me, barely above average at Halo and one of the lowest skilled players on GAF, killing mlg pro Roy after he had my shields at 25% by the time I realized where he was. That's just not right.

Devolution said:
Not gonna lie I found it a joke they accepted some glitches into their gameplay. BxRing/BxBing can go the fuck to hell. I know some will definitely disagree but honestly if I wanted to play who can button mash first, I'd play a god damn fighter.
I agree with all of this.

Worst part about bloom is how you can't recover from starting out weak. Might as well just lay your weapon on the ground since it will not let you have the final shot regardless of how spot on it is at times unless you're host or something.

Barrow Roll said:
Yup. Just get a game where you're host and the difference is night and day.

Yup. Got it the other night, suddenly all of my shots matter. I was like "lol." Such a pissoff too when someone else has it since I'm used to strafing and pacing, then some douchebag just comes along and spams and I'm dead anyway.

Wait, I thought bloom makes it easier for the player who gets shot at first? All they have to do is spam and Bungie will give them the hits.

Or

Is bloom now making it fairer by giving the kill to who shoots first?

Gaf will seriously argue both halves of an argument :lol

Top Bottom