• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Hydranockz said:
50 game complete bonuses + slot bonuses + commendations earned = a lot of credits.

That is even assuming you win every match. To top that off with a reasonably large sum of credits seems fair.

True but the actual bonus should be worth more than 2 games worth of credits when you hit FIFTY wins.

Also the way trueskill works I might have to play a whole 51 games before I win 50...Thats a lot of games for just 7K.

I'm not playing for credits but I do need like 1.15million before I hit Noble...and I'd like to end the game on the highest ranking, before I move on to the next thing. I wanted to hit the 4 star general in H3 but I only got to 2Star...At a certain point they should be raising the payouts that you can hit the ceiling if you go for it.

Hydranockz said:
Wait, I thought bloom makes it easier for the player who gets shot at first? All they have to do is spam and Bungie will give them the hits.

Or

Is bloom now making it fairer by giving the kill to who shoots first?

Gaf will seriously argue both halves of an argument :lol
Bloom does both because it's random as fuck. That's the problem with things that are random.

Do you just enjoy being contrary? Or are you seriously blinded to the huge flaws in the bloom mechanic?

Hydranockz said:
Wait, I thought bloom makes it easier for the player who gets shot at first? All they have to do is spam and Bungie will give them the hits.

Or

It depends on the situation. The person who gets the shots in first and lands them should win out. The issue is, the person can just spam and the way it's set up is that even if you strafe and pace headshots, they win out. Even if they got first shot, if pacing actually worked like it was supposed to, it wouldn't matter since your shots would mean more. But it's broken as fuck, especially thanks to latency.

Hitmonchan107 said:
That was amazing.

Did Devo do the voiceover? Either way, I loved it.

No but lol.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:

Or

In Halo 3, I would often get the jump on someone only to get out BR'd because they could juke and strafe like mad and I couldn't land enough followup shots. In Reach, more often it's things like Evade and Amor Lock that cause me to lose encounters where I start out with the advantage. Because players are not as agile, it's otherwise easier to land follow up shots. Bloom actually helps on that front because the faster I fire, the larger the reticule which ensures the rest of my body/shield stripping shots land.

I still often lose those encounters because I suck, but I pull them off more often than before. Personally, I prefer a player's ability to dodge and strafe be rewarded more in Reach, rather than tilting so heavily toward the situational use of their armor abilities.

Personally, I find the base traits (movement, jump, inertia) more objectionable than bloom.

NubCakes09 said:
Is it better to spam the trigger or pace your shots when using the DMR? I've heard that you are supposed to shoot slower an account of the bloom, but then other people tell me to just pull the trigger as fast as you can because bloom doesn't really matter. Thanks!

I think all of the patrons in this diner adequately summarize HaloGAF's feelings.

Ghaleon is trying to keep the thread on track from behind the counter.
Lake Minnetonka makes an appearance at 1:45.
Fyrewulff shows up around 2:04.

Jetpack starts being used around 2:35.

Barrow Roll said:
Bloom does both because it's random as fuck. That's the problem with things that are random.

Do you just enjoy being contrary? Or are you seriously blinded to the huge flaws in the bloom mechanic?
I'm amused by the glaring double standards by arguing those two things.

You actually have me convinced I get host every single game I play because I have honestly never experienced what it is you are when you don't pull host.

I'm not trying to be contrary. I just feel far differently about these things than some of you. That's all.

FyreWulff

Actionsack is proving to be the fastest playlist for this weekly, as long as you have people with you to vote for the right gametypes.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I remembered he asked for someone on GAF to do voiceover work. I just figured you rose to the occasion. :^)

I submitted one, looks like he went with his sister or something though

Hydranockz said:

You actually have me convinced I get host every single game I play because I have honestly never experienced what it is you are when you don't pull host.

I'm not trying to be contrary. I just feel far differently about these things than some of you. That's all.

When I pulled host it was glorious, dudes died in the minimal amount of shots possible for once. Maybe it's because I get fucked being out in California when I play with east coast/euro bros but there are days when people take more shots from me than they should and it's very frustrating.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I remembered he asked for someone on GAF to do voiceover work. I just figured you rose to the occasion. :^)

I would have had I known =o.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Actionsack is proving to be the fastest playlist for this weekly, as long as you have people with you to vote for the right gametypes.

I submitted one, looks like he went with his sister or something though
Lol its from another friend. She was the first one that did it, and I was wondering what it would sound like from a male narrator with a stronger voice. Her soft voice ended up fitting really well once the music and the entire thing came together. I appreciate the effort though.

Once again...

http://apps.facebook.com/halofest/contest/view/machinima/4e362c7095008e5d7800f2b4

<3 You HaloGAF.

MrBig said:
Can I get a youtube link to it?

I haven't upped it to youtubes because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. I'll go over the rules later.

Why can't you view it there?

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
I haven't upped it to youtubes because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. I'll go over the rules later.

Why can't you view it there?
Long story. Jut can't log in to facebook.

Hydranockz said:

I dont think its really double standards. Bloom is random, the results are random. So some people are complaining about how bloom makes x easier and some people are arguing that bloom makes y easier. If you take a step back its not hard to realize that whichever camp is wrong is irrelevant, bloom is random and both camps are equally right and wrong, its all situational.

If you have never experienced the inconsistency caused by bloom your lucky. That said inconsistent or not I would rather argue if the mechanic is fun. I don't personally think it is. Why get hung up on the technicalities if at the end of the day the mechanic wouldn't be fun even if it was consistent. It might work in other games but for me it goes against the fundamentals of Halo gameplay. Of course my opinion is just subjective.

bobs99 ... said:
If you have never experienced the inconsistency caused by bloom your lucky. That said inconsistent or not I would rather argue if the mechanic is fun. I don't personally think it is. Why get hung up on the technicalities if at the end of the day the mechanic wouldn't be fun even if it was consistent. It might work in other games but for me it goes against the fundamentals of Halo gameplay.
I think the one game that really pulled it off was Counter-Strike, and that was for a couple of reasons.

1. The spread was in the same pattern every time, for better or worse. Meaning you could learn the kickback of your weapon and adjust for it accordingly.

2. Headshots were always headshots.

I think that last part is key to this. In a DMR fight, the first four shots are almost irrelevant. Bloom does almost nothing to mitigate bodyshots, so everyone's going to strip shields pretty easily. I think that the fights come down to the last shot being a dice roll is what kills the whole setup. One person can slow down and time it, another can chance it and shoot immediately. Either way, I think that bloom playing a role in that one crucial shot makes it as flawed as it is.

The shield mechanic and the bloom are at odds with eachother.

Rickenslacker said:
I think the one game that really pulled it off was Counter-Strike, and that was for a couple of reasons.

1. The spread was in the same pattern every time, for better or worse. Meaning you could learn the kickback of your weapon and adjust for it accordingly.

2. Headshots were always headshots.

I think that last part is key to this. In a DMR fight, the first four shots are almost irrelevant. Bloom does almost nothing to mitigate bodyshots, so everyone's going to strip shields pretty easily. I think that the fights come down to the last shot being a dice roll is what kills the whole setup. One person can slow down and time it, another can chance it and shoot immediately. Either way, I think that bloom playing a role in that one crucial shot makes it as flawed as it is.

The shield mechanic and the bloom are at odds with eachother.

If they implemented that then bloom can stay, infact I would endorse bloom. Infact I would praise bloom.
Infact I would have babies with bloom.

But somehow that seems to go against what Bungie intended bloom for and it would no doubt kill the fun for a lot of the people who dont enjoy the competitive side as much. Hypothetically it should be a toggle option which is on in Pro gametypes.

EDIT:
Oh I thought you meant that if the reticule was aimed at the head then bloom didnt affect the bullet. Meaning that players had to basically get perfect headshots otherwise risk the effects of bloom. This sounds a little wack bloom with extra headshot damage would probably just make the thing even more inconsistent.

xxjuicesxx said:
Whats headshots were always headshots mean?

Headshots are always headshots in Reach...
If you headshot someone with a DMR while they're shielded, it does the same damage as it would if you shot them in the toe.

In CS, a headshot always does extra damage. If there was an incentive to have precise shots throughout an entire DMR encounter, then bloom wouldn't be as terrible as it currently is. You can maybe luck out 1 shot as it is, but doing that consecutively would be far less effective.

MrBig

You have shields for a reason, so that kind of bullshit isn't part of the game. Play SWAT if you want to have that.

MrBig said:
You have shields for a reason, so that kind of bullshit isn't part of the game. Play SWAT if you want to have that.
Hmm, but it's the shields as they're currently implemented that make bloom such a problem. If you changed it so that 3 headshots killed a person at max shields, I think bloom could be a workable mechanic.

Ideally, I wouldn't want bloom at all.

Rickenslacker said:
If you headshot someone with a DMR while they're shielded, it does the same damage as it would if you shot them in the toe.

In CS, a headshot always does extra damage. If there was an incentive to have precise shots throughout an entire DMR encounter, then bloom wouldn't be as terrible as it currently is. You can maybe luck out 1 shot as it is, but doing that consecutively would be far less effective.

Oh I thought you meant that if the reticule was aimed at the head then bloom didnt affect the bullet. Meaning that players had to basically get perfect headshots otherwise risk the effects of bloom. This sounds a little wack bloom with extra headshot damage would probably just make the thing even more inconsistent.

bobs99 ... said:
The way I see it, is getting one headshot under bloom is a tossup. Getting three headshots under bloom seems like we're getting to the point where the better bloom handler wins, which is what the ideal of the mechanic was in the first place.

GhaleonEB

Rickenslacker said:
Hmm, but it's the shields as they're currently implemented that make bloom such a problem. If you changed it so that 3 headshots killed a person at max shields, I think bloom could be a workable mechanic.

Ideally, I wouldn't want bloom at all.
No, it's the way bloom was implemented that makes bloom a problem. Shield stripping has always been a core part of Halo's combat mechanics, with precision weapons able to land headshots. Awarding bonus damange for headshots to shielded players would just throw things far (even further) out of balance.

The entire point of the shield is to dissipate damage.
Rickenslacker said:
The way I see it, is getting one headshot under bloom is a tossup. Getting three headshots under bloom seems like we're getting to the point where the better bloom handler wins, which is what the ideal of the mechanic was in the first place.
I think this highlights that the problem is with bloom, not shields. There's no need to further erode the core Halo combat mechanics just to balance another area where they were altered.

GhaleonEB said:
No, it's the way bloom was implemented that makes bloom a problem. Shield stripping has always been a core part of Halo's combat mechanics, with precision weapons able to land headshots. Awarding bonus damange for headshots to shielded players would just throw things far (even further) out of balance.

The entire point of the shield is to dissipate damage.

I think this highlights that the problem is with bloom, not shields. There's no need to further erode the core Halo combat mechanics just to balance another area where they were altered.
Yeah, I find that the games that work with these kind of bloom/dynamic-spreads are typically those without shields interrupting and giving equal damage across the board regardless of where you're hit. When I think about how to make bloom work under current constraints, the extra head damage is the only thing that comes to mind otherwise you get the flawed standoffs of the guy who times versus the guy who chances it with neither being the consistent winner.

Really I'd prefer your shot going where you shot and keep Halo as an arcadey shooter. Aim-assist adjustments for where they want the ideal ranges to be.

J10

Banned
TrounceX said:
I love bloom. Hopefully 343 doesn't dumb this game down any further by removing it.

I like bloom too. I feel like it makes me try harder to be precise and deliberate, which is a good thing. I've enjoyed Halo without it though, so whether it goes or not isn't really a concern. I tend to embrace changes more than reject them. Halo is still Halo.

Biggest problem with bloom is it wasn't even necessary. Nothing was broken about the mechanics of killing people with weapons in Halo. Yes, the BR was the ultimate go to weapon but you could easily mitigate that by making certain close range weapons less gimped. Unfortunately instead of just doing that, they added a whole new variable to the equation.

J10 said:
I like bloom too. I feel like it makes me try harder to be precise and deliberate, which is a good thing. I've enjoyed Halo without it though, so whether it goes or not isn't really a concern. I tend to embrace changes more than reject them. Halo is still Halo.

I could see this making sense if bloom wasn't so random. And I'm quite good with the DMR but it's rage inducing when I can out shoot someone and the random bullshit fucks it up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kibbles said:
Bought the Noble pack, nobody ever votes for Tempest :(
And with reason I assure you, it's not a good map.
Devolution said:
Biggest problem with bloom is it wasn't even necessary. Nothing was broken about the mechanics of killing people with weapons in Halo. Yes, the BR was the ultimate go to weapon but you could easily mitigate that by making certain close range weapons less gimped. Unfortunately instead of just doing that, they added a whole new variable to the equation.
And they beefed the AR bullet magnetism anyway.

TrounceX

Rickenslacker said:

That's incredibly short sighted. Imagine somebody spam 3 shotting you by getting lucky headshots.

You guys make way too big of a deal about this though. Yeah, sometimes I get screwed over by the bloom and it makes me mad but 90% of the time I win DMR battles precisely because I can control the bloom better. It's a deeper system than most realize

Devolution said:

yeah it wasn't really necessary but the idea of bloom in itself is still a good one. Implemented properly it could definitely increase the skill gap of the game. Which is what everybody should want, right?

The only thing they really need to do is decrease the time it takes for the bloom to completely reset. .

MrBig said:
would it be that big of a problem if the dmr was 4sk if every shot was a headshot and 5sk otherwise? rewarding precision is always good, imho

TrounceX said:
That's incredibly short sighted. Imagine somebody spam 3 shotting you by getting lucky headshots.

You guys make way too big of a deal about this though. Yeah, sometimes I get screwed over by the bloom and it makes me mad but 90% of the time I win DMR battles precisely because I can control the bloom better. It's a deeper system than most realize.
It's certainly possible no matter how far we extrapolate it, the luck factor is always there. But there's significantly less luck in play when you're counting on three shots instead of one, like it currently is.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
TrounceX said:

You guys make way too big of a deal about this though. Yeah, sometimes I get screwed over by the bloom and it makes me mad but 90% of the time I win DMR battles precisely because I can control the bloom better. It's a deeper system than most realize

yeah it wasn't really necessary but the idea of bloom in itself is still a good one. Implemented properly it could definitely increase the skill gap of the game. Which is what everybody should want, right?

The only thing they really need to do is decrease the time it takes for the bloom to completely reset. .

You'll still get your preferred Reach after the TU arrives since they're being separated. We get what we want, you get what you want. Win-win.

J10

Banned
Devolution said:

I could see this making sense if bloom wasn't so random. And I'm quite good with the DMR but it's rage inducing when I can out shoot someone and the random bullshit fucks it up.

It doesn't feel random to me at all. I feel like I'm being rewarded for having patience and accuracy and pacing my shots well. That's been a staple of Halo's extended firefights since CE, bloom just takes it a step further.

TrounceX said:

Honestly ideas like bloom are all the more a piss off when there are no dedicated servers to be had. Play a game with some lag, and you're fucked because your shots have already missed. How does that bridge skill gaps?

J10 said:
It doesn't feel random to me at all. I feel like I'm being rewarded for having patience and accuracy and pacing my shots well. That's been a staple of Halo's extended firefights since CE, bloom just takes it a step further.

It's quite random at times. I'm starting to wonder if people don't engage in enough mid-range firefights with just DMRs going at it to notice.

Karl2177

Rickenslacker said:
It's certainly possible no matter how far we extrapolate it, the luck factor is always there. But there's significantly less luck in play when you're counting on three shots instead of one, like it currently is.
My probability and statistics teacher is metaphorically beating you to death right now.

feel

Bloom won't be in Halo 4, don't even bother with thinking of ways of fixing it guys, it just won't be there, I don't believe for one second 343 would carry any of the Reach mistakes into their game. Jetpacks are fun and should be there but in a whole different way that doesn't ruin the whole mp game (separate playlist for jetpack gameplay).

Kibbles

Plywood said:
And with reason I assure you, it's not a good map.
-.- yesterday people were gushing over it here. Yeah Anchor 9 is garbage. Breakpoint was fun on the games I played. Have yet to play Tempest.

Karl2177 said:
My probability and statistics teacher is metaphorically beating you to death right now.
Ouch, but when it comes down to beating the random player with consistency, having it spread out across more shots allows the pacer to have a chance. Instead of coming down to one shot that can go either way, it would reward the consistency of the user.

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
Long story. Jut can't log in to facebook.
Same here. Would love to see it but I'm one of the 27 people on the planet that doesn't have Facebook (and never had it).

So let me know if you get it uploaded to YouTube.

Striker

Kibbles said:
-.- yesterday people were gushing over it here. Yeah Anchor 9 is garbage. Breakpoint was fun on the games I played. Have yet to play Tempest.
Anchor 9 (at least Unanchored) is one of my favorites.

People weren't necessarily "gushing" over Tempest, but laying out how poor its spawns are. But you can pinpoint any bad spawns, i.e. Standoff was much worse.

Top Bottom