• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone

Kibbles said:
"ODST is beyond, without a shadow of a doubt, the best halo campaign in existence" trololololololol
I love it, but couldn't disagree more.

Combat Evolved ftw.

That vidoc was awesome. Has me really anxious to see what their next game is. If it is an MMO, I just hope it's not in a format like anything we've ever seen before. No monthly subscription fees, no repeating "quests," raids etc.

We shall see.... we shall see.

As someone who my future wife right around the I was introduced to Halo (we actually started dating the day before Combat Evolved came out, and I didn't know what Halo was at the time), cried when I finished Halo 2, got married on the Bungie day of the century (7/7/07), had Masterchief on my wedding cake, has bought every Halo game after CE at midnight and called in the next day.... I really hope whatever they do for the next ten years is capable of having a similar effect on me.

Before discovering Halo I was out of gaming, hadn't had a console since the N64. It is safe to say Halo is one of the top 3 things that have influenced me into the person I am. (The other two being music and my wife.)

Thanks, Bungie!

PooBone

Steelyuhas said:
Just finished it.

Great vidoc.

CANNOT wait to see their next game.

Something Bungie has shown before, and it made several appearances in this vidoc. Emile firing the shotgun in the dark alley and pulling the knife from the Jackel. It's clearly a finished cinematic, I wonder where in campaign it was from and why it was cut...

Pretty sure it was just done for a trailer.

stephen08

senador said:
What are you guys using? Care to share links? Tooble is saying: "Error D02: Error gathering information from YouTube."

I use the downloadhelper plug-in for Firefox. It's one of the most popular ones, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

feel

WJD said:
Ending basically batters us over the head with "MMO!".

Not sure if want.
Bungie's take on MMO would definitely not be like the geeky PC MMOs you're imagining, it would probably only have the massive online multiplayer aspect in common with those, the rest of it would be a seamless experience like nothing before it. Remember how the Halo 2 online experience changed everything, they could be about to do that again.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
Bungie's take on MMO would definitely not be like the geeky PC MMOs you're imagining, it would probably only have the massive online multiplayer aspect in common with those... the rest of it would be a seamless experience like nothing before it. Remember how the Halo 2 online experience changed everything. They could be about to do that again.
Well said.

WJD

Letters said:
Bungie's take on MMO would definitely not be like the geeky PC MMOs you're imagining, it would probably only have the massive online multiplayer aspect in common with those, the rest of it would be a seamless experience like nothing before it. Remember how the Halo 2 online experience changed everything, they could be about to do that again.

As long as there's no monthly fee involved, I'll at least give it a shot!

Letters said:

Yeah that is what I am looking forward too. The game is going to be an MMO, but I don't think it's going to be some WOW clone. They are doing something new and original, and I can't wait to see what it is.

Steelyuhas said:
Something Bungie has shown before, and it made several appearances in this vidoc. Emile firing the shotgun in the dark alley and pulling the knife from the Jackel. It's clearly a finished cinematic, I wonder where in campaign it was from and why it was cut...
I thought I saw Kat walking behind Jorge the Walking Tank as well. There was a teaser a while back where Halsey is talking about Noble Team that had a lot of unused cinematics. Too bad we'll apparently never know why they were made and for what purpose.

Booshka

Well done.

I would have liked to see a little more about the early days of Bungie with Marathon, Myth, and more of Halo CE's development (particularly crafting that amazing game engine), but I understand they have to spend a lot of time talking about Halo in general, it's what made them as a studio.

Sean P. said:
Has HaloGAF made any plans in terms of PAX?

We should definitely set up some pre-pax LAN parties
It's Sean P!

What's up gangster, remember me from PAX last year?

We should all definitely arrange to do a Halo 1 LAN pre-pax... Or perhaps even a Halo 1 LAN at PAX (oh fuck, that'll definitely happen with CEA being there omgomgomg).

I am bringing my copy of Halo 1, an Xbox and a TV.

Kibbles

Letters said:
Everyone here that I like, has a really shitty and angering opinion about something. This is yours. :p
:) I really enjoyed it my first playthrough, but as I said, haven't felt compelled to replay it like others.

Loved the ViDoc all-together. <3 Bungie. I'm really looking forward to the new project. I'm also worried by all the MMO rumors though. I'm not prepared to pay more monthly fees, but that's all just speculation so I'll try not to freak. It's an exciting time though, they are scared and hungry to make successful franchise again. Time to push some more boundaries.

Geoff made a nice comment about the perfect combination of music, art, and design. I totally agree.

blamite

squidhands said:
I thought I saw Kat walking behind Jorge the Walking Tank as well. There was a teaser a while back where Halsey is talking about Noble Team that had a lot of unused cinematics. Too bad we'll apparently never know why they were made and for what purpose.
I thought Urk (or someone else maybe) said a while back that all the cool scenes from the Halsey ViDoc were custom made for that video only. Which is too bad, cause they were awesome. >.>

Sean P.

Devin Olsen said:
It's Sean P!

What's up gangster, remember me from PAX last year?

We should all definitely arrange to do a Halo 1 LAN pre-pax... Or perhaps even a Halo 1 LAN at PAX (oh fuck, that'll definitely happen with CEA being there omgomgomg).

I am bringing my copy of Halo 1, an Xbox and a TV.

For sure man :p School destroyed my social life (and online life) but it's time to get it all started again gearing up for PAX

We should get a HaloGAF (and maybe others) Lan set up for the day or two before PAX to start everything off again. And definitely set up another breakfast.

senador

Banned
I see it as an MMO in the vain of Halo. FPS, colors, cool mechanics, factions battling over large areas, an economy system and a mobile aspect that will let you play and advance your player somehow when you can't be at your console.

I do not like MMOs, but I am excite. If its the above, with Bungie behind it, I'm sold.

ElRenoRaven

Cover your eyes. Profanity filled rant below. Not related to the video per say.

GODDAMN SON OF A MOTHER FUCKING BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking clear sunny hot day and the power has surged 6 fucking times while trying to watch it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
blamite said:
I thought Urk (or someone else maybe) said a while back that all the cool scenes from the Halsey ViDoc were custom made for that video only. Which is too bad, cause they were awesome. >.>

Yup. Custom content from our animators, a la the closing scene from Desperate Measures.

Sean P. said:
Has HaloGAF made any plans in terms of PAX?

We should definitely set up some pre-pax LAN parties
Nothing concrete yet, but a LAN party would be awesome.
---

I decided to keep a PAX Attendee list for HaloGAF and HBO.
Here is the current roster:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff – Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB
Willeth
darthbob
Sean P.
OuterWorldVoice
lybertyboy​

Let me know if there are any more additions/changes.
Urk, Jerpie, Achronos, et al. if you want to be added let me know, I assume you guys will be there but I didn't want to presumptuously add you.

Sean P.

urk said:
Yup. Custom content from our animators, a la the closing scene from Desperate Measures.

Urk since you're technically a Halo fan now and not a developer, will you join the HaloGAF PAX festivities?

I'm hoping for a faction system similar to Chromehounds. For the vast majority of people unaware of this game, squads of friends fight squads from other factions in different territories. A win boosts that faction's hold on the territory and eventually one faction controls the map (or in Destiny's case, the solar system).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Sean P. said:
Urk since you're technically a Halo fan now and not a developer, will you join the HaloGAF PAX festivities?

They're going to have to call security to rip me out of the Weta Warthog.

GhaleonEB

Generic said:
Ghaleon, did you ever post that review? I remember you said you finished it. When are we gonna see it?
It's been passed on to editing. I was about to shoot the editor a note, actually. I'll let you know; I was hoping for this week but it might be Monday instead. I handed the dude 14,000 words to edit, he has my sympathies. :lol

urk said:

Well if it was a Halo: CE era Warthog they'd have to flip it to boot you out.

Unfortunately it's the Halo 3 version...

As long as Curtis Creamer doesn't get behind the wheel HaloFest should be safe.

ElRenoRaven

So finally done and I have to say I'm a big baby. I did tear up at the end. Interesting glimpses we saw at the end too. I really can't wait for the reveal of the new universe and it's beta. I just pray I am lucky enough to get into it when it happens.

Also I'll repeat what I've said before when it comes to Reach and the other games. As much shit as we give Reach, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST I do think they they were amazing games right there with Halo quality wise. Course I'll be honest I've loved every single damn game in the series. When you play them all together it's an amazing and fun story that I think is just amazing. Each game works well with each other and compliments each other damn well.

Now I really hope 343 can carry on that Legacy and do Bungie proud. I really do.

I nearly cried when I saw Jason Jones on stage at the end. That's the first time in a long time I've seen him look happy in a ViDoc. That moment alone has me hyped for Destiny.

GhaleonEB said:
It's been passed on to editing. I was about to shoot the editor a note, actually. I'll let you know; I was hoping for this week but it might be Monday instead. I handed the dude 14,000 words to edit, he has my sympathies. :lol
I'm moving out of my apartment tomorrow, so I've been crazy busy with packing and all of the bullshit related to that.

But I'm going to try my damnedest to have it done by tonight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Reach then ODST imo, before Reach, ODST was the best singleplayer Halo game.

Can't wait to see what Bungie does next, lets hope they don't fuck it up!

Tunavi

Banned
Can't watch the vidoc until later tonight, but dear god I realized this is the golden age of gaming for me. Reach is getting its title update, Halo 1 is being remastered, Bungie is working on their new IP, a new halo trilogy is in the works, halo 4 beta and release next year, and the xbox 720 will be here for Halo 5. So much to look forward to.

urk said:
You know, you drive. Ghal is the gunner, and every other GAFfer jumps on the Warthog. Then we are rocking Seattle until they catch us.

Serious discussing about PAX: We really have to plan something, it's just a few weeks away.

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
Can't watch the vidoc until later tonight, but dear god I realized this is the golden age of gaming for me. Reach is getting its title update, Halo 1 is being remastered, Bungie is working on their new IP, a new halo trilogy is in the works, halo 4 beta and release next year, and the xbox 720 will be here for Halo 5. So much to look forward to.
thump_6535798randymarshjizz1.jpg

blamite said:

urk said:

Ah, I stand corrected. Very cool.

PooBone

Tunavi said:
A good point, and for me personally, in addition to Halo CEA, 4 of my favorite games of all time have HD remakes coming out this year: Silent Hill 2, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Ocarina of Time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tunavi said:
So true. So much to love over the next few years.

I think this ViDoc might beat Halo 2's behind-the-scenes documentary, which, up to this point, was my favorite documentary of all time.

This video took every emotional cue the Halo 2 video hit and drove it home harder.

I can't wait to watch this again.

Striker

Plywood said:
The biggest improvements were in the faces, like night and day.
Faces, texturing, just all around it's so far ahead of what they were at in Halo 3. Lighting obviously isn't as far fetched, but really that's all Halo 3 had going for it. Only if it looked as good as it did in Theater mode as it did in-game.

And god fucking damn at the Halo 2 clips. Makes me :(

ElRenoRaven

I have to say the best part though was seeing other old builds and parts of old builds that we hadn't before. That along with some more ancient footage of them working in the studio was just awesome.

Ugh this reminds me though. Odds are I'm going to have to actually upgrade my PC for their next game. I'll probably buy a console version too assuming it comes to consoles too but without a doubt will have a PC version also.

PsychoRaven said:
I have to say the best part though was seeing other old builds and parts of old builds that we hadn't before. That along with some more ancient footage of them working in the studio was just awesome.
Agreed, I'm such a sucker for things like that.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
Is Marty getting younger? Dude looks like he lost some weight, good on him!

Old Jones is awesome, considering I only really remember him with his Osiris sweatshirt in the halo 2 documentary... and now he's this grizzled old dude.

Seeing Halo 2 was awesome. Bungie was pretty critical about it, but I still think it stands out as a high-water mark for the series.

Halo 3 Announce trailer Chief is the best Chief.

The admiration for Reach is odd (speaking as one who doesn't think its the best Halo game). Its interesting, but all the people they interview for the vidoc who say Halo Reach is the best Halo game, all seem to think so because of its breadth of content, and not because of its core mechanics (which I think are the worst in the series). The love for forge world is still baffling, did no one stop to think how a map that large in that engine would wreck the framerate?

Really sweet documentary Bungie.

Looks like they borrowed the face-capture tech from LA Noire/Avatar/Tron, the cinematics are going to be amazing.

Really glad that Jen Taylor will have a role in the new universe.

I think I finally have a better shot of the Osiris and Dead Orbit shirts. There were some clear FWC shots too but I already have a pretty decent picture for that one.

Hopefully I'll find some people at PAX wearing Destiny shirts. It's going to be really awkward when I ask to take a photo...

This is why I love Bungie. I love how they work and communicate as a studio with each other and to their fans. I love to so the development process for their games and the reaction of fans. There is just too much to say wath I love about Bungie.

So much awesomeness in one video.

Top Bottom