• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone

Did we ever learn what Phoenix was supposed to be? That game was in the works for an awful long time.

ncsuDuncan said:
Really glad that Jen Taylor will have a role in the new universe.

Did they say this? Wouldn't be surprising, I remember Pete Stacker in Oni.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ncsuDuncan said:
Nothing concrete yet, but a LAN party would be awesome.
---

I decided to keep a PAX Attendee list for HaloGAF and HBO.
Here is the current roster:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff – Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB
Willeth
darthbob
Sean P.​

Let me know if there are any more additions/changes.
Urk, Outerworldvoice, Lybertyboy, et al. if you want to be added let me know, I assume you guys will be there but I didn't want to presumptuously add you.

Add me, so I can sign my own tits, Xzibit style.

Gui_PT

I think it's rather clear what their next project consists of.

They're going to do the original idea they had for Halo. A huge world they can just drive around, explore and have fun.

PooBone said:
Did they say this? Wouldn't be surprising, I remember Pete Stacker in Oni.
Right at 54:00

Pretty sure that's Jen doing motion capture and facial motion capture. Doesn't look like it's from Reach.

Looks like she's sitting on a throne, the guy standing in front of her walked up some steps and handed her something...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gui_PT said:
I think it's rather clear what their next project consists of.

They're going to do the original idea they had for Halo. A huge world they can just drive around, explore and have fun.
I think this will be part of it. All their hinting at "See you starside" imply some sort of space element, too. And I still think they used space combat in Reach as a way to experiment for gameplay features we'll see fleshed out in Destiny.

ncsuDuncan said:

Pretty sure that's Jen doing motion capture and facial motion capture. Doesn't look like it's from Reach.

Looks like she's sitting on a throne, the guy standing in front of her walked up some steps and handed her something...
Is that when Halsey hands Noble Six Cortana?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
ncsuDuncan said:
Nothing concrete yet, but a LAN party would be awesome.
---

I decided to keep a PAX Attendee list for HaloGAF and HBO.
Here is the current roster:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff – Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB
Willeth
darthbob
Sean P.
OuterWorldVoice​

Let me know if there are any more additions/changes.
Urk, Outerworldvoice, Lybertyboy, et al. if you want to be added let me know, I assume you guys will be there but I didn't want to presumptuously add you.

In.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

Yea that's Reach Motion Capture. That Looks to be the scene where she gets the data module from kat.

Gui_PT

omg.kittens said:
I think this will be part of it. All their hinting at "See you starside" imply some sort of space element, too. And I still think they used space combat in Reach as a way to experiment for gameplay features we'll see fleshed out in Destiny.

Something like Spore in terms of planet exploration?

That Vidoc nearly brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for 10 amazing years of Halo. We don't always agree with every decision you make, but we bitch and moan because we care so much. Here's to one of the greatest developers on Earth. And here's to 10 more years of greatness. May your goal of world domination come ever closer.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea that's Reach Motion Capture. That Looks to be the scene where she gets the data module from kat.
Ah. Haven't had a chance to compare yet.

I just wasn't aware that Reach used facial motion capture, I figured it was something new. Blast.

Dax01 said:
Is that when Halsey hands Noble Six Cortana?
I don't think so? If you look closely, you can see that the guy gave her something and she regarded it. And she sat on a chair, too. So it can't be a scene from Reach. (Otherwise Bungie cut it out.)

I'm the only one, who thinks that Urk sounded like Solid Snake around 53min?

Kibbles

Hitmonchan107 said:
I nearly cried when I saw Jason Jones on stage at the end. That's the first time in a long time I've seen him look happy in a ViDoc. That moment alone has me hyped for Destiny.
Yeah that was a great, comforting moment.

PAX LAN Party? Sounds fun, have a good time folks :)

GhaleonEB

Barrow Roll said:
That Vidoc nearly brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for 10 amazing years of Halo. We don't always agree with every decision you make, but we bitch and moan because we care so much. Here's to one of the greatest developers on Earth. And here's to 10 more years of greatness. May your goal of world domination come ever closer.
I'm not ashamed to admit that it did bring a tear to my eye, as the team reflected on having to leave Halo behind. Halo has brought me so many memories over the past ten years, but these guys have been living Halo for that time.

I have very high hopes for their next game, and universe. Halo's world and feature set came to be built out over such a long period of time, and much of it was not well planned. If they can take what they learned about world building, and combat design, community features, cooperative play and long form story arcs and build that into the series from day one, it's going to crack the earth open when it lands.

ncsuDuncan said:

I just wasn't aware that Reach used facial motion capture, I figured it was something new. Blast.
Didn't Bungie outsource the facial motion capture for Reach?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gui_PT said:
Something like Spore in terms of planet exploration?
I dunno. The game has to have some limit, and I think multiple planets might be too massive. I think a giant, fully accessible planet with battles extending into space would be more feasible, both technologically and logistically.

Maybe one planet for each faction?

I dunno, Bungie is probably thinking way more out-the-box than either of us, so who knows what they've got cooking.

Trying to make out what's on the projector during the theater scene at 53:45.

Looks like it's "??? Gameplay Between Landmarks" with a crude map below, lots of mountains.

feel

Normal shells ejecting:
n6qbz8.jpg

Normal shells ejecting, but with camo armor ability equipped:
23ux6ic.jpg

Am I the only one really bothered by that retcon?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
Bungie's take on MMO would definitely not be like the geeky PC MMOs you're imagining, it would probably only have the massive online multiplayer aspect in common with those, the rest of it would be a seamless experience like nothing before it. Remember how the Halo 2 online experience changed everything, they could be about to do that again.
Bungie is making the 1st POE. Believe.

Gui_PT

omg.kittens said:
I dunno. The game has to have some limit, and I think multiple planets might be too massive. I think a giant, fully accessible planet with battles extending into space would be more feasible, both technologically and logistically.

Maybe one planet for each faction?

I dunno, Bungie is probably thinking way more out-the-box than either of us, so who knows what they've got cooking.

Sounds like a great idea

Letters said:

I noticed and was also bothered by it =\

Louis Wu said:
lol - all of those clips are from one day (one interview, even).

Nostalgia moment.

Before Topgun and I were here, way back in Halo:3 days :p.

We got matched up into a lobby with you, on the other team.

Now we play Halo with you haha.

This place blows my mind.

HaloGAF is awesome <3
Halo is awesome <3
Bungie is awesome. <3

edit-BTW the viddoc has buffered on Louis Wu 3 times now... Should I be afraid :p?

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

Nope. They made a big deal out of using motion capture and Facial motion capture with Reach. I believe there was even an entire vidoc on it. I could be mistaken though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Normal shells ejecting:
n6qbz8.jpg

Normal shells ejecting, but with camo armor ability equipped:
23ux6ic.jpg

There won't even be a finished build for several weeks, let alone the one that was taken from.

Letters said:
Pistol gifs
Those videos were intended to demonstrate the new audio, don't grab your torch and pitchfork just yet. Maybe they didn't show us the AR because the clips we got were from an old build that still had the Reach model. That could also explain other animation details that aren't finalized.

Edit: Beaten. :)

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
There won't even be a finished build for several weeks, let alone the one that was taken from.
Thanks. And I want to make it clear that I'm not against the idea of bullet shells spawning out of the ejectors with armor abilities activated, just don't want camo in particular.

Woorloog

Banned
Letters said:
Thanks. And I want to make it clear that I'm not against the idea of bullet shells spawning out of the ejectors with armor abilities activated, just don't want camo in particular.
Armor locked casings...
EDIT jetpacking casings would be nice... <-campaign skull idea

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that it did bring a tear to my eye, as the team reflected on having to leave Halo behind. Halo has brought me so many memories over the past ten years, but these guys have been living Halo for that time.

I have very high hopes for their next game, and universe. Halo's world and feature set came to be built out over such a long period of time, and much of it was not well planned. If they can take what they learned about world building, and combat design, community features, cooperative play and long form story arcs and build that into the series from day one, it's going to crack the earth open when it lands.
Yup. Well said. I'll definitely be there day one for Bungie's next project.

And this thread moves way too fast. I go to the beach for a day and there are like more than 10 pages so forgive me if it's all been said already.

The new sound effects are awesome. Jolly good show. There are graphical effects clearly missing or unfinished like the glow on the plasma bolts and needles but I'm sure they know and are just showing off sound effects.

Bunch of teases for not showing off the AR sound though...

feel

Woorloog said:
Armor locked casings...
EDIT jetpacking casings would be nice... <-campaign skull idea
armor lock ones would sit there on the chamber exit on top of the pistol just glowing and not doing much else for 20 seconds

jetpack ones would fly straight up with a tiny woooshing sound until they despawn when they touch the skybox

evade ones would just fly out of the pistol in a random direction, then do a sudden change of trajectory midair

hologram ones would just spawn duplicated

etc

mmm.. this could work

ElRenoRaven

Barrow Roll said:
Yup. Well said. I'll definitely be there day one for Bungie's next project.

And this thread moves way too fast. I go to the beach for a day and there are like more than 10 pages so forgive me if it's all been said already.

The new sound effects are awesome. Jolly good show. There are graphical effects clearly missing or unfinished like the glow on the plasma bolts and needles but I'm sure they know and are just showing off sound effects.

Bunch of teases for not showing off the AR sound though...

Yea. I so want to hear the beautiful AR redone so badly.

urk said:
Yup. Custom content from our animators, a la the closing scene from Desperate Measures.

Oh thanks for clearing it up.

Just the very end of Desperate Measures right? Cause wasn't almost all of that scene in the game?

ElRenoRaven

Karl2177 said:
Alright, so where can I download this monster?

Currently nowhere that I know off offically but if you know of certain sites and programs you can download it off of youtube. I would put a copy up for download somewhere but I don't want to piss Bungie off by doing that against their wishes.

feel

Booties said:
man bungie really wants to make sure people don't forget about them now that 343i is in charge. kinda funny.
I found it funny how Reach MP and Sage got something like 10 seconds of screen time combined.

What really blows my mind with Bungie is just the artistic polish. Making something work is really hard, but so is making something look good. The level of artistic polish on show in the Vidoc and work is incredible. I cant wait to see the next big thing because I know artistically its going to be incredible.

Karl2177

PsychoRaven said:
Currently nowhere that I know off offically but if you know of certain sites and programs you can download it off of youtube. I would put a copy up for download somewhere but I don't want to piss Bungie off by doing that against their wishes.
Most of those sites/programs give a major downgrade in quality. I'm all for the great glorious HD quality that Bungie always puts out.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
I found it funny how Reach MP and Sage got something like 10 seconds of screen time combined.
To be fair, they didn't really touch Halo 3 MP either. It was more about the scope of the campaign and the overall project for both that game and Reach.

ElRenoRaven

Karl2177 said:
Most of those sites/programs give a major downgrade in quality. I'm all for the great glorious HD quality that Bungie always puts out.

Sure 720p isn't maxed out quality but still that's pretty damn good if you ask me.

senador

Banned
Karl2177 said:

Yes this, and the few tools I've tried have not worked for me. What tools are you using Psycho? Is it against rules to say or something?

Urk, no download version this time? (I guess it'd be a behemoth)

Top Bottom