Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Grognok.net is a registered domain from Bungie.

Pure speculation: When Joseph Staten talks about the universe becoming "more the fans than ours" and it "taking a life of its own," what if Bungie is going to hand us the keys to Grognok and allow us to create our own worlds? It looked fairly user friendly from the limited screen time given.
 
Grognok =

Generating Randomly Ordered Ground (and) Natural Organics (for) Kismet?

Generating Randomly Ordered Geographical Networked Objects (for) Kismet?

Kismet may refer to Destiny in Turkish and Urdu... Also used in Bulgarian and in some dialects of Serbo-Croatian as luck. (Wikipedia)
 
Hitmonchan107 said:
Grognok.net is a registered domain from Bungie.

Pure speculation: When Joseph Staten talks about the universe becoming "more the fans than ours" and it "taking a life of its own," what if Bungie is going to hand us the keys to Grognok and allow us to create our own worlds? It looked fairly user friendly from the limited screen time given.
Bungie + Minecraft


My God
 
Karl2177 said:
Smith or Timmins?

Which reminds me, I didn't see any lukems in there at all. Or even heard anything from him since Reach launched.
I was talking about Luke Smith and he's not in the ViDoc probably cause he's a quiet dude when it comes to the internet (I don't actually know for sure though, but it always seemed like he didnt like to put himself out there too much for the internet- stranger danger)
Funny Story- After all the shit talking about it- Smith finally joined Twitter. He's still at Bungie I believe- It would take that dude alot of leave that place I think. I just miss the old dream team of Sketch Franky and Luke shittalking every couple weeks on the podcast. I want to know who the shitheads were on the internet that didn't like when Luke Smith was on and kick them in the nuts. It was probably Dax, Fuck you Dax.
jk <3
 
Booties said:
Now we abandon bungie because all we care about is halo. Do you guys seriously care about time magazine game of the century: Oni?
I really liked Oni at the time but it's hard to get into nowadays. Whatever, sprinting at a guy to grab them by the head, spin, and snap their neck was great.

Homeboyd said:
Bungie + Minecraft


My God
Can't you just see it now? All that grey.
 
I can't stop laughing at the reversed version of the gif with Sage walking in backwards and then suddenly turning his head to reveal a shit eating grin and the other guy sort of just eye-rolling at Sage's shenanigans



:lol
 
FyreWulff said:
Grognok =

Generating Randomly Ordered Ground (and) Natural Organics (for) Kismet?

Generating Randomly Ordered Geographical Networked Objects (for) Kismet?

Kismet may refer to Destiny in Turkish and Urdu... Also used in Bulgarian and in some dialects of Serbo-Croatian as luck. (Wikipedia)
Kismet is a flow attribute editor and is used for all sorts of things like linking materials, scripting, and is the basis for pretty much everything. It's used a lot for UDK.
Where did you come up with the words for that acronym if you don't know what kismet is?
 
I'm not talking about Unreal Engine with that post.

The point of the spoiler is that Kismet may have been an alternate name or another way to refer to Destiny. Because that is what the word means in certain languages.

I don't believe Bungie would be using the Unreal engine.
 
Letters said:
Would be great if it could have "right back at ya bungle" or some other more subtle way of responding to the love bungies they've been putting in everything since the Halo 3 beta welcome screen (reading that for the first time after receiving a very early F&F beta code from them was really cool, I think I actually screamed I love you too!! at the tv)
"You Think You &#9829; Us Big Time? We &#9829; You Big Time!"

Hitmonchan107 said:
Pure speculation: When Joseph Staten talks about the universe becoming "more the fans than ours" and it "taking a life of its own," what if Bungie is going to hand us the keys to Grognok and allow us to create our own worlds? It looked fairly user friendly from the limited screen time given.
Or it's more of a reference to how they've always had fans take their universes and run with them. Marathon's 16 years old and people are still discussing its story and releasing updates through Aleph One and the iPad version. Myth's still getting updated by Project Magma (with scenarios still being made) and played on MariusNet. Oni has the Anniversary Edition in development the last time I checked. And now there's Halo being in the hands of 343i with fans that are demanding the same dedication and love from them just like they did with Bungie.

As for Grognok, I'd be surprised if Destiny didn't have some sort of user generation software. Marathon had Forge and Anvil, Myth with Fear and Loathing, and Halo with Forge.
 
Letters said:
I can't stop laughing at the reversed version of the gif with Sage walking in backwards and then suddenly turning his head to reveal a shit eating grin and the other guy sort of just eye-rolling at Sage's shenanigans



:lol
The way he slides in is priceless.
 
I'd like to see a CBA on these DLC packages to understand the actual value they represent compared to the time and money that's invested. I would honestly continuously throw money at DLC even if it released monthly, but I'd imagine I'm in the very small minority.
 
Rickenslacker said:
I really liked Oni at the time but it's hard to get into nowadays. Whatever, sprinting at a guy to grab them by the head, spin, and snap their neck was great.


Can't you just see it now? All that grey.
Hell I still play ONI once or twice a year probably. Own both PS2 and PC versions lol. I to this day wish to god they hadn't given it up and that we could get a proper sequel.
 
PsychoRaven said:
Hell I still play ONI once or twice a year probably. Own both PS2 and PC versions lol. I to this day wish to god they hadn't given it up and that we could get a proper sequel.
Every couple of years I get into it and play through the first little bit until it gets into the annoying platforming/laser dodging stuff. How was the PS2 version? I never gave that one a try.
 
I played Oni for the first time during the Bungiethon last year. Turns out I like Oni.

The only problem I really have with the game is the way that these levels were made all huge and stuff and the encounters/enemies in each are sparse. If they had some more focused experience level design near the start of the game to build up the momentum faster, it would have been even better.

Also apparently it's PC version or nothing.
 
Rickenslacker said:
Every couple of years I get into it and play through the first little bit until it gets into the annoying platforming/laser dodging stuff. How was the PS2 version? I never gave that one a try.
Honestly it's more frustrating then PC version. The controls weren't really tuned and it hurt the game in the platforming a lot. It was without a doubt a hell of a lot more frustrating when it came to that rooftop chase level.

FyreWulff said:
I played Oni for the first time during the Bungiethon last year. Turns out I like Oni.

The only problem I really have with the game is the way that these levels were made all huge and stuff and the encounters/enemies in each are sparse. If they had some more focused experience level design near the start of the game to build up the momentum faster, it would have been even better.

Also apparently it's PC version or nothing.
Yea the Anniversary community mods for it really do give it some new life. I just hate how it can be a pain to get running on newer PCs. A little work though it works decent.
 
Cuban Legend said:
I think we all deserve that finest quality for this finest of ViDocs.

I'd like Bungie to be remembered in H.264 super near uncompressed quality.
It also reminded me that I need to get a downloaded Reach Legendary Edition video. That was one thing I liked about the Halo 3 Legendary Edition is that it came on a disc.
 
Karl2177 said:
It also reminded me that I need to get a downloaded Reach Legendary Edition video. That was one thing I liked about the Halo 3 Legendary Edition is that it came on a disc.
Yea. Sadly the only place you can find that is youtube in parts. If I had the stuff to edit MP4's I'd so edit them together like they were when I watched it streaming. I really hate that you have to get it this way because if they decide not to stream it anymore you're screwed. Of course Hell even now you're lucky if you can find it again. I watched it day one and haven't been able to find it again.
 
Oh son of a...... I so didn't realize I double posted. I'm on a failure streak this week.

MrBig said:
So the bungie steaks (which I will be grilling this weekend) came with dry ice. I blew up a bottle with it and had a little fun

http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/photography/dryice/IMG_8850.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/photography/dryice/IMG_8791.jpg[/url]

[url]http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/photography/dryice/IMG_8752.jpg[/url]

more here [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29852268&postcount=505[/url][/QUOTE]

That's pretty freaking cool. Gotta love playing around with dry ice.
 
Homeboyd said:
I'd like to see a CBA on these DLC packages to understand the actual value they represent compared to the time and money that's invested. I would honestly continuously throw money at DLC even if it released monthly, but I'd imagine I'm in the very small minority.
Same, even like what CoD does with theirs, $15 4 maps,1 FF every 2-3 months.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. Sadly the only place you can find that is youtube in parts. If I had the stuff to edit MP4's I'd so edit them together like they were when I watched it streaming. I really hate that you have to get it this way because if they decide not to stream it anymore you're screwed. Of course Hell even now you're lucky if you can find it again. I watched it day one and haven't been able to find it again.
Its on Waypoint (on the 360) and I didn't even get the Legendary edition. Of course you can't download it from there.
 
Oni seems pretty cool, but I was only able to get the PC version cheap and i'm finding the controls... awkward to say the least. I should really look into finding the PS2 version to enjoy it more easily.
 
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. Sadly the only place you can find that is youtube in parts. If I had the stuff to edit MP4's I'd so edit them together like they were when I watched it streaming. I really hate that you have to get it this way because if they decide not to stream it anymore you're screwed. Of course Hell even now you're lucky if you can find it again. I watched it day one and haven't been able to find it again.
I watched most of it after I finished the campaign. The way Waypoint streams is really funky. Personally, I don't like it. Anyways, I had to deal with either 240p or 360p stretched onto a 1080p screen. As for the YouTube links, I probably could snip them together in Premiere really fast, but I don't particularly want to do that if another option exists.
 
Hitmonchan107 said:
Grognok.net is a registered domain from Bungie.

Pure speculation: When Joseph Staten talks about the universe becoming "more the fans than ours" and it "taking a life of its own," what if Bungie is going to hand us the keys to Grognok and allow us to create our own worlds? It looked fairly user friendly from the limited screen time given.
I saw this as the natural extension of Forge, which let us build (limited) virtual playgrounds. If there's not some sort of large-scale map/terrain editor, I'll be shocked.
 
GhaleonEB said:
I saw this as the natural extension of Forge, which let us build (limited) virtual playgrounds. If there's not some sort of large-scale map/terrain editor, I'll be shocked.
What they showed them doing there was using height map brushes. You can make pretty much anything front that, and accompanying that I'm sure there would be push/pull editing and a feature set pretty similar to the front end UDK. If the let you import your own mesh and textures then all the better.

Using those terrain brushes though is not suitable for FPS level of detail, and that combined with the low-poly model and textures they showed paints a sore picture in the face of those looking for another FPS from Bungie.
 
MrBig said:
What they showed them doing there was using height map brushes. You can make pretty much anything front that, and accompanying that I'm sure there would be push/pull editing and a feature set pretty similar to the front end UDK. If the let you import your own mesh and textures then all the better
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not normally that easy to edit terrain, right? (I'm completely oblivious to how actual game development works.)
 
Hitmonchan107 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not normally that easy to edit terrain, right? (I'm completely oblivious to how actual game development works.)
Stuff like that has been part of UDK for ages.

It's very low detailed when using solely brushes for an environment, but I'm sure they will allow for mesh imports from 3ds max and the like
 
Heh. I'm playing "Halo (3)" right now and I wanted to look at the final message Mendicant Bias gives to the Chief in the terminal. I'm not playing on Legendary, so I had to look it up on the computer.

In light of Cryptum, this passage makes a lot of sense (put in spoilers for those who haven't read Cryptum):

"But the one that destroyed me long ago, in the upper atmosphere of a world far distant from here, was an implement far cruder than I."

I put in bold the most important word. Further spoilers for Cryptum:
The Flood/Gravemind is/was a tool to seek vengeance upon the Forerunners by the Precursors.
 
Hitmonchan107 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not normally that easy to edit terrain, right? (I'm completely oblivious to how actual game development works.)
I think terrain brushes are how they make huge hills and mountains and stuff in WoW, too!
 
I would love to read an AJ article about the connection between Forerunner Trilogy, CEA Terminals and Halo 4, when Halo 4 will come out. Dani etc. you have big shoes to fill. I hope you are ready for the task.
 
Hypertrooper said:
I would love to read an AJ article about the connection between Forerunner Trilogy, CEA Terminals and Halo 4, when Halo 4 will come out. Dani etc. you have big shoes to fill. I hope you are ready for the task.
I'm waiting on more ammo until I load that gun. =)

If 343 get the final Forerunner book out in time, I'll provide you with plenty of supplementary speculation and analysis. FUD will be busy leading up to Halo 4, for sure.
 
In light of Cryptum, this line from the Gravemind right before you get into the Warthog makes a little more sense, if I've interpreted it correctly.

"Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved, but you imposed."

Spoilers from Cryptum:

What if the Gravemind is a Precursor conscious reborn again and again throughout the millennia? "Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence never deserved..." This particular Precursor did something wrong a was sentenced to an eternity as the Flood. He would not have been otherwise were it not for whatever the Forerunners did to the Precursors (he would've gotten some other punishment): "...but you imposed."
 
Wow, that ViDoc was great. Man was ODST a good game. Mix the feeling of ODST and Reach and I think Halo has its home.

Also, although minimal, the teases we got towards what Bungie has planned were awesome.. I wish this game would get announced already.
 
Karl2177 said:
Smith or Timmins?

Which reminds me, I didn't see any lukems in there at all. Or even heard anything from him since Reach launched.
Lazslo said:
I was talking about Luke Smith and he's not in the ViDoc probably cause he's a quiet dude when it comes to the internet (I don't actually know for sure though, but it always seemed like he didnt like to put himself out there too much for the internet- stranger danger)
Funny Story- After all the shit talking about it- Smith finally joined Twitter. He's still at Bungie I believe- It would take that dude alot of leave that place I think. I just miss the old dream team of Sketch Franky and Luke shittalking every couple weeks on the podcast. I want to know who the shitheads were on the internet that didn't like when Luke Smith was on and kick them in the nuts. It was probably Dax, Fuck you Dax.
jk <3
I believe Urk mentioned (in a GAF post) a few months ago that Smith was in design meetings with the big boys all the time.

Smith was hilariously awesome in the Reach vidocs. I also miss the days of him in the podcasts. Funny guy.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My wounds were just starting to scab, cruel fiend.
Have you seen the Heineken commercial about the handle bar mustache? It's epicness would make you extemely jealous I'd think.
 
MrBig said:
What they showed them doing there was using height map brushes. You can make pretty much anything front that, and accompanying that I'm sure there would be push/pull editing and a feature set pretty similar to the front end UDK. If the let you import your own mesh and textures then all the better.

Using those terrain brushes though is not suitable for FPS level of detail, and that combined with the low-poly model and textures they showed paints a sore picture in the face of those looking for another FPS from Bungie.
I wasn't necessarily commenting on the specific tool shown in the video. I was just saying that given what we know of what they're building, and the history of Bungie providing tools to create content in their games, I'd be surprised if there isn't a robust feature set around map editing in Destiny.