• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

darthbob

Steelyuhas said:
I believe Urk mentioned (in a GAF post) a few months ago that Smith was in design meetings with the big boys all the time.

Smith was hilariously awesome in the Reach vidocs. I also miss the days of him in the podcasts. Funny guy.

Have you seen the Heineken commercial about the handle bar mustache? It's epicness would make you extemely jealous I'd think.

This video.

Sooooooo gut.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't commenting on the specific tool shown in the video. I was just saying that given what we know of what they're building, and the history of Bungie providing tools to create content in their games, I'd be surprised if there isn't a robust feature set around map editing in Destiny.
Yes indeed, I have talked about that many times.

Steelyuhas said:
In an MMO though, wouldn't the world already be created by the developer, and its your job as the player to explore that world?

Typically at least.

What do you think the role of a map editor would be in an MMO?
If the game is what I am assuming, it would be essential to it. It won't be a standard, bland MMO like WoW where you are given standard set pieces, it will be like EVE, with many many worlds, both procedural, studio developed, and user developed, for all sorts of gameplay. Travel between planets would be like EVE, but then you can actually go down to a world, even a world that you yourself own, and do anything. Interact with people, go on missions/quests, build additional pylons, whatever you want

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't commenting on the specific tool shown in the video. I was just saying that given what we know of what they're building, and the history of Bungie providing tools to create content in their games, I'd be surprised if there isn't a robust feature set around map editing in Destiny.

In an MMO though, wouldn't the world already be created by the developer, and its your job as the player to explore that world?

Typically at least.

darthbob said:
This video.

Sooooooo gut.
Saved that for future viewing. I remember that commentary, great stuff.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:

Typically at least.

Maybe the terrain editing is happening in realtime and is caused by the warring factions.

POE genre. Believe.

I have no idea.

Karl2177

Steelyuhas said:

Typically at least.

What says Grognok is for Destiny? Maybe it's a tool for Aerospace developers.

GhaleonEB

I'd just like to note that the 20th anniversary burn bright, burn blue shirt is the most comfortable damn thing I've draped over my body in years. I wish all my clothing felt like it, I'd just droop over a chair and relax into a puddle.

GhaleonEB said:
I'd just like to note that the 20th anniversary burn bright, burn blue shirt is the most comfortable damn thing I've draped over my body in years. I wish all my clothing felt like it, I'd just droop over a chair and relax into a puddle.
I take it this is your first American Apparel purchase?

J-Roderton

Watching this Bungie vid doc right now on my Apple Tv. I can't believe how far Bungie has come. This thing is great. Glad I have about another 35 minutes left.

feel

sdcc_haloannivesarycamic0p.jpg

Came across it while doing some desktop cleaning and gotdauyum!! Had to repost it.

Homeboyd

I can't begin to tell describe how much I'm hoping one of the new maps is a Forge map. Maybe we'll find out at HaloFest. Also excited to hear about the new FF map and what the 'thing that's never been in FF before' is.

Side note.. just looked over some of the first (oldest) pages in Atlas. lolwow

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Homeboyd said:
Also excited to hear about the new FF map and what the 'thing that's never been in FF before' is.
Prophet floating chair boss battles and last wave drum music replaced by Breaking Benjamin.

Where'd you get that quote from? I haven't seen it before. Very curious.

Tunavi

Banned
Just finished watching the vidoc. It made me realize how big of a part Bungie has in my life. I grew up playing Marathon 2. I lived in that world. It was a while before I connected Bungie from Halo to Marathon, that was pretty crazy when I found out.

Those old videos at the beginning, seeing the founders of Bungie when they were my age...wow. I loved seeing the talk about the Microsoft purchase, the xbox, how they almost cut multiplayer, and Halo 2's failure.

I hated the Reach section, it just seemed like an ad for the game. It felt so fake, like there was nothing to criticize. Halo 3 section was't very interesting as well.

ODST showed me how much of a dedicated genius Marty is. They were right though, it really is the best halo campaign, I loved hearing them talking about that.

Jen Taylor, Urk and Errera all looked sexy.

I love you, Bungie.

Ramirez

Barrow Roll said:
^Where's the punch line?

I find myself asking that question with a lot of RVB stuff.

Gonna order Letter's shirt, then ask myself why when I don't wear it anywhere but my house. :p

J-Roderton

Tunavi said:
Just finished watching the vidoc. It made me realize how big of a part Bungie has in my life. I grew up playing Marathon 2. I lived in that world. It was a while before I connected Bungie from Halo to Marathon, that was pretty crazy when I found out.

Those old videos at the beginning, seeing the founders of Bungie when they were my age...wow. I loved seeing the talk about the Microsoft purchase, the xbox, how they almost cut multiplayer, and Halo 2's failure.

I hated the Reach section, it just seemed like an ad for the game. It felt so fake, like there was nothing to criticize. Halo 3 section was't very interesting as well.

ODST showed me how much of a dedicated genius Marty is. They were right though, it really is the best halo campaign, I loved the hear them talking about that.

Jen Taylor, Urk and Errera all looked sexy.

I love you, Bungie.

I agree with what you said about the Reach and ODST parts. I have to say, ODST campaign was definitely my favorite, even though it didn't have Master Chief in it.

I thought Halo 3's part was fine though. I thought it was a really cool video too see what Bungie was all about. I've never played anything but the Halo series by Bungie and I thought that the doc showed a lot of what they were about. I loved seeing a bit about how my favorite franchise came to be. Early Master Chief was hilarious if I may say so. I'm glad Bungie has done what they have done, even though I don't agree with some of the things they have done with Reach.

Damn, that ODST music was good.

Thanks for the awesome games.

senador

Banned
darthbob said:
This video.

Sooooooo gut.

I love that video. I sure miss lukems having a community type role. I hope we hear from him in the future. His snark and humor is so great.

Things to note in the video:
-Dat Plasma Repeater!
-Evade: "Its a Covenant specific equipment". It should have stayed that way.
-Needle Rifle in comparison to Needler "Its a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." LOL
-Purples vs Greens, man I miss that

Ramirez said:
I find myself asking that question with a lot of RVB stuff.
Of all the stuff I've seen from RvB (which isn't much), the only one that really made me laugh was the Caboose Visits the Campaign video.

darthbob said:
This video.

Sooooooo gut.
I remember this video. So he's being ironic right? I can't really tell.

senador said:
I love that video. I sure miss lukems having a community type role. I hope we hear from him in the future. His snark and humor is so great.

Things to note in the video:
-Dat Plasma Repeater!
-Evade: "Its a Covenant specific equipment". It should have stayed that way.
-Needle Rifle in comparison to Needler "Its a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." LOL
-Purples vs Greens, man I miss that

1. Green vs. Purple, how I miss it. I know its not a big deal, but I wonder if its something that could be changed back with the scripting engine (FRANKLES!)
2. I'd love to hear Luke Smith's words coming out of my mouth

Tunavi said:
Oh and to top it all off, Bungie and I are both 20 years old...

must...not...get...emotional
So young

senador

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
1. Green vs. Purple, how I miss it. I know its not a big deal, but I wonder if its something that could be changed back with the scripting engine (FRANKLES!)

There were design reasons for changing it; color blind people
Ghaleon
had a hard time with it, the colors blended into the background where red/blue clearly stand out, and I think there were even more reasons. Still, I preferred it and sure liked it. It gave it a separate feel.

Steelyuhas said:

I knew Tunavi was young! HaloGAF has quite the age range. I wonder what the average age is around here. I am 26.

I'm not even care that I DPed.

20 reporting in

Letters said:
I can't stop laughing at the reversed version of the gif with Sage walking in backwards and then suddenly turning his head to reveal a shit eating grin and the other guy sort of just eye-rolling at Sage's shenanigans

2md1k5i.jpg

:lol
I'm fucking dying here

PNut

Banned
senador said:
I knew Tunavi was young! HaloGAF has quite the age range. I wonder what the average age is around here. I am 26.

I'm not even care that I DPed.

31 here. Grew up playing the oldies. Atari, NES, Super NES, Genesis....then stopped. Picked up a N64 for Zelda OoT and found Golden Eye. My college roommates and I played it every day. Great times..... Fast foward 10 years later when I found Halo 3. A buddy told me it was like the MP in Golden Eye but a million times better. Bought 360 and the rest was history.

Some of you might be surprised on how many "older folk" play Halo MP everyday. I'm in a group on BNet that has 150+ members over the age of 30. I'm talking guys in there 50's and 60's that play Halo everyday. It's awesome and most of them would give Frankie and Urk a run for their money in a 1v1. But urks not that old though come to think of it. ;)

I'm 20 -- turning 21 in 20 days.

Good games, Tunavi. It would've been better had I not had to run to the bathroom every other game. :^(

17 in a couple of weeks. I'm going to regret saying this.

Oh well. If I have the ability to cleanse you guys will still tolerate me right? :lol

EDIT: If you are wondering why I'm on a site like this at this age it's because there isn't much else to do aside from school related stuff and hanging out with my buds. Besides, I think it's great to converse with others nearer to my level of wit/thinking (not saying it's higher, BTW). It gets tiring talking to stupid kids that are my age. :/

Also, I really need to start playing more Reach. Are there a group of Gaffers that play often that I could join in on every once in a while? Don't worry; you won't have to carry me or anything like that.

PNut

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Was older than everyone on the page until Pnut posted *fistshake*

I'm guessing 29? Lol. But hey, we got to experience true rage inducing video games. That's why AL and Bloom don't bother me. Some of these young members should watch the Angry Video Game Nerd some time and see what we had to deal with.

blamite

19, and been lurking for a about two and a half years before getting accepted last fall.

I'm just glad I'm not the youngest. :D

senador

Banned
22 is average age so far.

Ramirez said:
Man, I started posting about Halo on GAF when I was 17, I'm 25 now. =\

That makes me feel lame that I didn't even know about GAF til 1.5 years ago. :/

Top Bottom