• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tawpgun

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record by now, but I'm really close to passing the 3rd and 2nd place videos to be right behind the 1st place video which I'm pretty sure will be DQ'd for copyrighted music. 2nd place video is from a machinima.com director but I'm not sure if being part of the director program is allowed or not. Either way, I'm going on the safe side and assuming its allowed so it would help if I could surpass his votes.

https://apps.facebook.com/halofest/contest/view/machinima/4e362c7095008e5d7800f2b4

Vote for it if you haven't already, and make sure to reach out to anyone that would be interested in voting for it. I don't use twitter so if all you twitters peeps could send the message out that way it would be amazing. Any Halo communities you guys are a part of would help as well. This is one contest where I feel I have a good shot at winning. I really think my video is the one that best fits the judging requirements.

• Creativity/Originality (30%);
• Representation of Halo Universe (30%);
• Themes celebrate Halo’s 10th Anniversary (30%); and
• Public Appeal (10%).

Thanks for anyone who voted! Spread the word!

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
23, I'll be 24 next month.

I don't want to say the Halo 2 section of the ViDoc was my favorite (the last 2 minutes of Destiny teasing takes that crown) but it certainly had the greatest emotional impact on me.

It just really struck me how much it must have stung, having to cut off the game's ending and just pick a point to stop. Joe Staten was probably going insane reading fan complaints about the cliffhanger when he had a perfectly good ending already written.

I distinctly remember being disappointed at how little of the game took place on Earth after the implications of the trailer and E3 demo. I criticized that fact on the forums, not know that they had originally planned to have Master Chief return to Earth for Halo 2's finale.

If I was allowed to ask Bungie only one question about the secrets of their Halo development, I'd want to know what the original plans were for Halo 2's finale. I think a lot of fans would ask the same thing. I wonder how much of it was abandoned forever and how much was carried over into Halo 3.
Some things are known. There were two missions set on Earth at the very end, and the Arbiter and the Chief team up to go after Truth in the last one, bringing their parallel story lines together. The moment where the Arbiter kills Truth in Halo 3 plays out almost exactly as it was planned at the end of Halo 2.

thezerofire said:
I didn't know anything about this
The setting of 'Guardian' originally was a campaign level, inhabited by 'Guardian Sentinels.'

mN7B6.gif

Obviously, that got cut, and eventually the campaign level turned into Guardian the multiplayer map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Homeboyd said:
It's been stated in several different interviews, but here's one. (Read the interview, not the vid)

I also just noticed in that interview that Timberlands was actually confirmed. I knew we were about 99% certain, but that's the first time I had seen it on paper.
Awesome, thanks. Hype levels at maximum.

And I'm 26, too. I've been curious about HaloGAF's ages, too. It's interesting to see.

I wished we would get a Postmortem panel with Bungie folks at HaloFest. Would be nice to see some footage of the "Guardian campagne level" etc. Sketches of cut scenes, that were cut of the game. And so on. But you can not have it all.

Btw. going to see Super8 finally today! Argh! Yeah! It arrived in Germany woot!

Tunavi

Banned
god damn, I make a post saying how old I am and 100 posts later people are still announcing how old they are.

Curious to see what you guys look like....I should post a picture of myself...........

Ruze789

Devolution said:
Just how old is halogaf?

I turned 30 last week.

I finally got a chance to watch the ViDoc, and it made me realize how onboard the hype train I was leading up to both Halo CE and Halo 2, and how much of an impact both had on me as a gamer. I'd been playing on most every system since NES and an old Adam computer, but nothing I'd ever touched came close to what Halo brought to the table. Loved the video and reflecting on the last 10 years of Halo, and it was cool seeing so much more Bungie history that I wasn't aware of before.

And I don't remember seeing this mentioned yet, apologies if it had and I missed it:
urk via eurogamer.net article said:
We're working with Hair Brained Schemes on its game Crimson that's going to ship in the summer. We don't have a date on it yet but it's an iPad game, it's a tonne of fun, everybody here at the studio is giving it some time on their breaks and having fun with it.

Tunavi said:
god damn, I make a post saying how old I am and 100 posts later people are still announcing how old they are.

Curious to see what you guys look like....I should post a picture of myself...........
I can post a photo of you:
:^) <--Realistic photo. It looks like you.

Sai-kun

Banned
Tunavi said:

here's me:

lady-gaga-20090222-494577.jpg

first person to insult gaga gets removed from my friends list and put on ignore ;P

oh and a lot of halogaf is very good looking >_>

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
It's been stated in several different interviews, but here's one. (Read the interview, not the vid)
That hint really screams Flood in Firefight to me, particularly the bold:

O'Connor teased one of those surprises specifically, an innovation relating to the game's lone Firefight map, which is set on Halo. "We've actually been able to-- because of the stuff we've been playing with in terms of the base code, there's something that we've been able to add to Firefight."

He wouldn't go into specifics since the element is still being tested -- "We're pretty confident it's going to make it in," O'Connor said -- but it is something "that hasn't been seen before." He teased, "It's something that hasn't been in Firefight to date, and it should make it a pretty compelling experience."​
The base code being Halo 1. Hopefully they're reworked to be able to reanimate and mutate corpses as they did in Halo 3, but even if not, it will be the first time we get big three way battles since Halo 2. Maybe Sentinels, too.

35 years old.
Started on Intellivision because my parents wouldn't buy Atari for some reason. Paddle controller ftw. My buddy bought Golden Eye and I was hooked, beating all of the challenges (Facility 00Agent in 2:12), dificulties, levels, and destroying everything in multiplayer. I still have the memory card with the save on it, haha. Halo rocked my world at a kiosk in Babbages, pre release. I knew it was a day one pick-up and here we are today. I wish I could play regularly. I always feel like I know the game better than I can play the game. I get online once every two weeks on average. Conversely, RL is pretty sweet though!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
That hint really screams Flood in Firefight to me
Ohhh, good call. I didn't think of that, even though I've been so excited by the prospect. Three way battles were one of the biggest mind-blown moments of Halo CE. I wonder if they'd be able to "turn on" the Flood in all the FF levels, or just the new one. And if so, will we see it in Matchmaking? That might be asking too much, haha.

GhaleonEB said:

O'Connor teased one of those surprises specifically, an innovation relating to the game's lone Firefight map, which is set on Halo. "We've actually been able to-- because of the stuff we've been playing with in terms of the base code, there's something that we've been able to add to Firefight."

He wouldn't go into specifics since the element is still being tested -- "We're pretty confident it's going to make it in," O'Connor said -- but it is something "that hasn't been seen before." He teased, "It's something that hasn't been in Firefight to date, and it should make it a pretty compelling experience."​
The base code being Halo 1. Hopefully they're reworked to be able to reanimate and mutate corpses as they did in Halo 3, but even if not, it will be the first time we get big three way battles since Halo 2. Maybe Sentinels, too.
That would be...interesting. I was wracking my brain trying to think of what Frankie was talking about, and this seems like a pretty appropriate guess. If it was structured as a 3-way fight, scoring could be tweaked to give you more points for killing live Covenant and less for Flood forms. Hmmm....

I don't know about 3-way battles, but I could definitely see a Firefight mode with the Covenant replaced by Flood.

It actually makes perfect sense, it would appeal to the Living Dead crowd (as well as the Call of Duty zombie survival mode fans).

MrBig

Ghaleon the base code for the new FF map would not be Halo 1, they'd just be importing the BSP from the CEA area (or even having CA make their own version of it to make it match Reach's LOD and aesthetics). So all the same features that are in Reach will be in the FF map. It is doubtfull that the flood AI was included with and of the Reach builds and I doubt they will/can write an entirely new AI just for the one FF map. I'm still betting on objectives or at least something more than a few squads that you play standard slayer with.

xxjuicesxx said:

Halo 2 is the greatest game ever made. (Obviously just watched the vidoc thinger)

Going to stream ODST H3 and Reach and maybe more campaigns when I wake up in hopefully a lot of hours. Co-Op players welcome.
I'll join join you. Post when you're getting on

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't know about 3-way battles, but I could definitely see a Firefight mode with the Covenant replaced by Flood.

It actually makes perfect sense, it would appeal to the Living Dead crowd (as well as the Call of Duty zombie survival mode fans).
But Does the Flood have enough variety to replace the Covenant?

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Do not want. I don't find the Flood especially interesting to fight solo, just in bursts. Even with the Pure Forms added in Halo 3, they still don't offer enough variety to prevent them from getting stale before long if they are solo in Firefight. (I can see it being a specific game type, though.) If they add Flood to Firefight, I think it would be a significant missed opportunity not to let them mingle with Covenant and go nuts on each other. Just think of the announcement - you can fight Flood! Or Covenant. No, they can't fight each other like in the Campaign.....:\

It may well turn out to be something else (though I think the latest hint points more strongly to it), but with this kind of thing I really hope they take it to its logical conclusion.

MrBig said:
Ghaleon the base code for the new FF map would not be Halo 1, they'd just be importing the BSP from the CEA area (or even having CA make their own version of it to make it match Reach's LOD and aesthetics). So all the same features that are in Reach will be in the FF map. It is doubtfull that the flood AI was included with and of the Reach builds and I doubt they will/can write an entirely new AI just for the one FF map. I'm still betting on objectives or at least something more than a few squads that you play standard slayer with.

I'll join join you. Post when you're getting on

I think I'm about to start. I dunno what to play first though.

GhaleonEB said:
Do not want. I don't find the Flood especially interesting to fight solo, just in bursts. Even with the Pure Forms added in Halo 3, they still don't offer enough variety to prevent them from getting stale before long if they are solo in Firefight. (I can see it being a specific game type, though.) If they add Flood to Firefight, I think it would be a significant missed opportunity not to let them mingle with Covenant and go nuts on each other. Just think of the announcement - you can fight Flood! Or Covenant. No, they can't fight each other like in the Campaign.....:\

It may well turn out to be something else (though I think the latest hint points more strongly to it), but with this kind of thing I really hope they take it to its logical conclusion.
My guess is friendly AI Marines.

Hmm, what if it was a distinct gametype?

So the new Firefight map has the normal Covenant gametypes; Limited, Arcade, Gen Defense, etc.

But there's also Flood Survival Mode. Throw one of the really dark filters on the map, add in some geometry to make the map more claustrophobic (whatever environment it is), severly limit ammo...

Oh and as far as that quote:
I interpreted "base code" as the Reach code they were playing with for the Title Update that let them figure out something new to do with Firefight, not the Halo CE code.

Havok

This came through my office today (in a university library). I'd never heard of it before, thought some of you guys would find it interesting. Apparently its part of a series on philosophy in pop culture.

2wqy4xg.jpg

Chapters were divided into subsections named after the classic Halo difficulty settings, and chapter titles included such gems as 'Personal Identity in Blood Gulch', 'Would Cortana Pass the Turing Test?', and 'What Would Foucault Think about Speed Runs, Jeep Jumps, and Zombies?'

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
I think I'm about to start. I dunno what to play first though.
I had just started an ODST legendary playthrough a few days ago and only got a little into it so we can start from there since its the earliest timeline game with coop

anyone else want to join?

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:

Flood in firefight... ohgosh.jpg

The map needs to do a lot of things, that ODST and Reach FF-maps didn't do. It must have Solo-vehicles and some interactive things like close doors etc.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tunavi said:
I know you're only joking, but don't be ridiculous.

I'd kill for a regular chain hog on a Firefight map in Reach. Bungie's biggest oversight. They even had a chain gun in earlier builds before swapping it for the rocket crap.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Maybe they figured out a way to get a Scarab into FF for a truly epic boss wave. That would be awesome. I was extremely disappointed that there wasn't a proper Scarab encounter in Reach. That was probably my biggest campaign let down after the awesomeness of the Storm in 3.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
I interpreted "base code" as the Reach code they were playing with for the Title Update that let them figure out something new to do with Firefight, not the Halo CE code.
Yeah, that could go either way.

I'm just excited that we're getting a new Firefight map, and that they're going so far as to add a new element(s) to it. I assume the newness is isolated to the new FF map.

Halofest is three weeks away. Actually getting close now. Has anyone gotten their PAX pass in the mail yet?

Tunavi said:
Well I'm at work so I can't watch this video, but apparently in this video, Frankie confirms Timberlands as a CEA map. Can someone watch it for me?
Confirmed in the text article here.

O'Connor confirmed that Anniversary will include seven multiplayer maps in all, one of which is dedicated entirely to Firefight mode. "Some of them are from Halo, maybe one is from Halo 2 and people have already spotted the Timberland map from Halo PC in there."

Top Bottom