• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

because I feel like it (again)

What's your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you're not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
the fuck? CE for both

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
47 SWAT, 46 Snipes both without teams

AR or BR?
BR

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
Prisoner, Lockout, The Pit

Least hated Reach mp map.
Powerhouse

Ramirez said:
but the MP was hands down the best in the series, glitches/exploits/etc. aside. Felt kind of ill when all of them were proclaiming Reach as their proudest moment, errr ok, I guess.
I like the button glitches.

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
Got around to watching the Vidoc, it was entertaining. The nostalgia trips I was getting watching the CE/2 bits were great. No idea why they were all so down on Halo 2, I get that they had to cut the campaign short, but the MP was hands down the best in the series, glitches/exploits/etc. aside. Felt kind of ill when all of them were proclaiming Reach as their proudest moment, errr ok, I guess.

Interested in their next project since it seems Jones is in the thick of it, CE/2 are amazing compared to 3/Reach, and I believe he had way more to do with both of those games than the past two, so it gives me some hope for their next title. I just hope it isn't a traditional MMO, that's like an immediate pass for me.

It wasn't necessarily the feature set being lost, but the state of the codebase on the timeline based on what they had wanted to do. Basically they had an unusable game. Its scope was too big for the tech, and they bit off more than they could handle. They had to size it down and rewrite much of it to actually work. It was a small miracle that it came out in the end. I too attribute much of that to Jason coming and saying "Alright, lets get this shit back together". I am stoked for their next thing based on Jason's involvement for so long. I can't see it being a traditional MMO, that's not Bungie. It'll be new and unique and awesome.

Along this vein, its almost like Halo CE's success was a mistake. It had no real planning or end goal, and much of it came together late, with few people on each part. It worked on the pure passion of these people. Pretty amazing.

Homeboyd

Hitmonchan107 said:
You guys say Headlong, I say Turf. Love that map.
I submitted a Turf remake to CC that was pretty amazing. Nillapuddin626 does some amazing remake work.

Headlong is a map that just can't be accurately remade (although I played on a pretty good one with some gaffers a while back - Kwatz's map?) Can't remember.. which is why I would like to see a studio remake. Same with Terminal though...

Awesome Barlow said:
I just don't want to see a MMO. Not a fan of that genre.
In it's current state.. yeah. I agree. But look what Bungie did to FPS'. Whatever Bungie is doing, Im confident I'll enjoy it.

ncsuDuncan said:
Clearly Bungie is just porting World of Warcraft to consoles.

Speaking of which, this is the perfect time for a new Bungie MMO to go head to head with another behemoth in the house, The Old Republic.

The two combined could topple W.O.W.

WOW is not even doing to well...

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/12312/world-of-warcraft-population-dips-to-11m-subscribers

I heard they lost a lot of subscriptions before this as well, with a number like 4 million.

on another note, I hope Bungie releases this game Free to Play with micro transactions.

MrBig

Awesome Barlow said:
I just don't want to see a MMO. Not a fan of that genre.
Doesn't have to be in the MMO genre. Persistent Online Experience is more along the lines of what they have talk about, with the "world that is always there for you" stuff

Homeboyd said:
Headlong is a map that just can't be accurately remade (although I played on a pretty good one with some gaffers a while back - Kwatz's map?) Can't remember.. which is why I would like to see a studio remake. Same with Terminal though...
That was my first Reach forge map. I could go back and remake it now and use the pieces a lot more intelligently but it would still be a spiritual successor and not a remake. I had to redesign so much stuff just to get it playable and with absolutely zero frame drops.

Ramirez

Awesome Barlow said:
I agree with this. I simply find MMOs to be a bunch of people grinding to attain a certain rank or to get an item. Additionally, I do not have the time to invest into such a game.

I love MMO's, played WoW for 5-6 years and not much else, but that was pre-wife and baby era, MMO's are not an option now.

In it's current state.. yeah. I agree. But look what Bungie did to FPS'. Whatever Bungie is doing, Im confident I'll enjoy it

Hmm, see they lost the blind faith with me at Reach, it was such a drastic departure from what I had come to love about the series. If the TU wasn't hitting (and I guess even the TU could disappoint in what I actually want) I would most certainly be moving on to Gears 2/BF3 full time. Halo 3 even with it's flaws still always managed to pull me back in no matter what, Reach just doesn't have that grab on me at all, my play time has dropped pretty significantly since NCAA 12 came out, hopeful that the TU can reel me back in and have me pining to play Halo every night like I did in the past.

Letters said:
The idea is to have people go "fuck you halogaf survey!!! I'm picking Halo CE for both, but my second favorite sp is ____ and mp is ____"
second favorite would then be Halo 2 for SP, and Halo 3 for MP, only because I owned Halo 3 during it's heyday and not Halo 2

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
I love MMO's, played WoW for 5-6 years and not much else, but that was pre-wife and baby era, MMO's are not an option now.

I don't think Bungie's game will be one that requires massive hours per day. They make games they want to play, and have stated they tried to make past Halo games (IIRC) so you can hop in for a short time each night and have fun.

The way I see it is if you spend a few hours a night playing Halo, you could do this with their new game too.

BUT, throw future Halos into the mix and we have a conundrum.

Ramirez

I'm not saying it is going to be a traditional MMO, but the guys that work there do love WoW, and I'm sure other MMOs, so I could totally see them wanting to take a stab at it. The only reason I doubt that it's a traditional MMO is because this console cycle is probably going to be on it's way out in the next 2 years, not exactly a good time to release an MMO. Could be a launch game on the next round of systems, who knows, just throwing spitballs here.

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
That was my first Reach forge map. I could go back and remake it now and use the pieces a lot more intelligently but it would still be a spiritual successor and not a remake. I had to redesign so much stuff just to get it playable and with absolutely zero frame drops.
Still the best one I've seen to date. Especially considering you took into account performance issues.. which most of the other Headlong remake authors didn't.

Maps like Turf and Prisoner (which both deserve loving studio remakes) can be accurately remade to play the same as they used to with Forge (esp. with the new TU options). I know you guys obviously don't prefer grey remakes, but wouldn't you rather have those in addition to new studio maps that can't be remade in Forge than the alternative?

MrBig said:
Doesn't have to be in the MMO genre. Persistent Online Experience is more along the lines of what they have talk about, with the "world that is always there for you" stuff
Every time I hear that world always being there part I think of Animal Crossing. I would totally buy a Bungie Animal Crossing.

Seriously though I hope that the MMO rumors are not true, and I only say that because I cannot stand the genre simply for the grinding and amount of time they take up. Nothing against the devs or people who play them; some are very well made games.

The picture with the turbines gave me a Fallout, post apocalyptic vibe. Which could be interesting. Also, I wonder if this game with the hints of it being space related will be related to Marathon and Halo in the same way that Halo made references to Marathon (SPNKR, Marathon logo on the PoA, Mjolnir, Cyborgs, Rampant AIs etc)?

Ramirez

If Headlong/Water Works or whatever gets remade, what setting do you think they'll go with? I would love to see a map in Guardian's setting, really loved that forest. I guess they might just do a straight up city/cave remake, but they changed HH/Tombstone quite a bit. Could always be a New Alexandria setting, Plywood might like that. ;)

Homeboyd

Ramirez said:
If Headlong/Water Works or whatever gets remade, what setting do you think they'll go with?
Good question...

Headlong: (but daytime)
halo-3-odst-6-1024x576.jpg

Waterworks:
Carlsbad-Caverns-New-Mexico.jpg

(It's gotta stay a cavern)

Terminal/Turf:
new_alexandria_by_superflash1980-d2zwai9.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Some things are known. There were two missions set on Earth at the very end, and the Arbiter and the Chief team up to go after Truth in the last one, bringing their parallel story lines together. The moment where the Arbiter kills Truth in Halo 3 plays out almost exactly as it was planned at the end of Halo 2.

That sounds awesome.

Blue Ninja said:
The setting of 'Guardian' originally was a campaign level, inhabited by 'Guardian Sentinels.'

mN7B6.gif

Obviously, that got cut, and eventually the campaign level turned into Guardian the multiplayer map.
I've always been curious what the Guardian part of Halo 3 actually consisted of and what it actually meant for the plot of the game. I've always assumed (hoped) that the plot of Halo 3 was less suck with that section in there, and had to be changed when it got cut.

xxjuicesxx said:
ODST is pretty garb.
H3 I just played AR pistol starts on Valhalla.

WTF Halo you suck, seriously!
It's the definitive Halo weapon bro!

Hitmonchan107 said:
You guys say Headlong, I say Turf. Love that map.

TURF!

NOMNOMNOM

Homeboyd said:
I submitted a Turf remake to CC that was pretty amazing. Nillapuddin626 does some amazing remake work.

I queued that guys Turf remake for download.

I'd actually love that odst silenced smg in multiplayer :/ best weapon since ce's ar :p

odst's hud is so good. I hate how in reach when you're aiming at someone flying everything disappears since it is the same color of the sky .__. put jetpacks in, make the reticule blue as the sky and don't give the player an option to adjust vertical sensibility. game design geniuses at work.

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
Good question...

Headlong: (but daytime)
http://www.thereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/halo-3-odst-6-1024x576.jpg[img]

Waterworks:
[img]http://www.wayfaring.info/images/Carlsbad-Caverns-New-Mexico.jpg[img]
(It's gotta stay a cavern)

Terminal/Turf:
[img]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/274/f/d/new_alexandria_by_superflash1980-d2zwai9.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I'd say Headlong in the NA/Exodus setting, because I really love those areas. Turf should be the New Mombasa area because the original lends itself to that aesthetic, not NA, and have it kept night with a bunch of floodlights.

This brought the lulz for me

MrBig said:
I'd say Headlong in the NA/Exodus setting, because I really love those areas. Turf should be the New Mombasa area because the original lends itself to that aesthetic, not NA, and have it kept night with a bunch of floodlights.

If we get Turf in New Mombasa, all Halo games in the future can suck and I will still be happy.

Homeboyd said:
Which version? This one?
Not only is it very accurate.. I spent a bunch of time with him reducing piece counts to make the performance work 2v2.

Yep. That's the one.

It looks good, I'm looking forward to checking it out when I get on later.

GAF, can we do an endless 3 Plots Turf game?

I will have a really fun custom game, an original custom game at that, ready in some way shape or form by Saterday, I also have nothing going on Saterday.

Lets schedule some customs?

Steelyuhas said:
Yep. That's the one.

CUSTOMS.

SATURDAY.

BE THERE.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Yep. That's the one.

yes

another round of GAF customs tomorrow in celebration of Bungie's 20th, with a bunch of classic maps (with none of the garbage reach classic damage settings)

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
yes

another round of GAF customs tomorrow in celebration of Bungie's 20th, with a bunch of classic maps (with none of the garbage reach classic damage settings)
Check the Blueprint archive. There are a ton of remakes in there and Im sure the authors would enjoy some testing love. (If you're looking for some maps)

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
Check the Blueprint archive. There are a ton of remakes in there and Im sure the authors would enjoy some testing love. (If you're looking for some maps)
I have quite a collection of classic maps, and I added prefixes to them so they can be easily located

MrBig said:
yes

Sounds delicious. I'm in.

A27_StarWolf said:
I will have a really fun custom game, an original custom game at that, ready in some way shape or form by Saterday, I also have nothing going on Saterday.

Lets schedule some customs?

CUSTOMS.

SATURDAY.

BE THERE.
Hey third times the charm for spelling "Saturday" right.

:p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i nerini del buio said:
I'd actually love that odst silenced smg in multiplayer :/ best weapon since ce's ar :p

odst's hud is so good. I hate how in reach when you're aiming at someone flying everything disappears since it is the same color of the sky .__. put jetpacks in, make the reticule blue as the sky and don't give the player an option to adjust vertical sensibility. game design geniuses at work.
Yeah, the pale, barely visible reticle is one of my biggest complaints about Reach, believe it or not. It screws me over way more than it should, especially when aiming towards the sky.

Edit: Count me in for customs, too.

Booshka

neoism said:
yeah that shit melted my brain...lol I probably watched it like 5 times.
what is Luke's job for the new game..?
Bungie should have made a Halo MMO, that way Lukems could be the Scarab Lord again.

Falt

Vidoc was great! Nostalgia overdose. What a fucking company! Jason Jones lives, long live Jason Jones! (or was that reused footage? Some of it seemed unfamiliar)

Hyped to see where Bungie go with there next title. I don't think it's an MMO, my guess would be a progressive world FPS, thinking MAG even though I haven't played it.

Thanks for the memories, Bungie. Here's to another 20!

Edit: Also, 26.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
Will Noobs and Stephen be there?

Also, you never answered my post from yesterday where I asked if you were mocking me. ;)
Sorry, didnt see the post, no I wasn't mocking you. That seems like a legitimate concern for Reach.

MrBig

Here's a tentative list I've organized
Code:
H1 Chillout - FFA Oddball
H1 Hang 'Em High - Multiflag
H1 Sidewinder - Team Slayer
H2 Beaver Creak - Multiflag
H2 Turf - 3 Plots
H2 Headlong - 1 Flag
H2 Sanctuary - Team Slayer
H2 Ivory Tower (Reflection) - 1 Bomb
H2 Zanzibar - 1 Flag
H3 Gaurdian - Oddball
H3 Citadel - Team Slayer

Gametypes will have 110% speed, no AAs, 3 hit melee, DMR/AR starts, everything else default.

Tunavi

Banned
If we do customs here are my suggestions:

3 life elimination (with no AA's, no weapons on maps), 8v8 on Highlands/Breakpoint/Condemned/Boardwalk (slayer or objective), warthog wars (no weapons, instant respawn on warthogs), countdown without sword/shotgun, The turf remake, Pro-pipe slayer, Invasion pro (DMR/NR starts, sprint/evade only).

yeahhhh

and everything kwatz posted.

You guys are crazy with your weird gametypes.

If we do customs on Saturday we need to stick to the standard map/gametype combinations:

Knights of Dongblainia, over and over until everyone "has to go... run an errand".

Louis Wu

senador said:
Just need Wu to come and pull the average way up. ;) <3 Wu.

Fuck you. I'm 16.

Well, maybe I'm coming up on my 30th anniversary of that birthday.

AND I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT, IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU MEDDLING KIDS!

Aw, what the hell, why not?

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Nope. I've lurked for a while and played with a number of you because of AJ, but I've recently started posting more actively as I've started to get hyped for both Destiny/Tiger (AWWW YEAHHH) and Anniversary.

What country are you posting from and what's your current age.
USA Texas, 24

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
14, Halo. Dec. 24, 2001 to be exact - not quite launch, but pretty damn close

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
Not actually sure of the answer to this - I used to pay a little bit of attention back in the AJ heyday, so a while now I guess...

What's your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you're not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Halo 1 for both. Not even close. Second place? ODST campaign (but god damn it, what were they thinking with that godawful last level - with every campaign since the first Bungie really seem to be attempting to one-up themselves in the disappointing conclusion department) and Halo 2 multiplayer (BXR, epic maps)

46, Lone Wolves and Team Slayer

AR or BR?
M6D

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
H1: Damnation
H2: So many great choices, but Terminal pulls off the upset for epic AJ 1-flag and 1-bomb (why did they break this gametype?) customs with Mr Voc raining death in the Wraith
H3:Valhalla

Undoubtedly something from Anniversary, depends how close the Title Update gets to replicating H1. For now, Powerhouse or Boardwalk.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
H1: Both
H2: MLG (It's called teamwork, Hotshy)
H3: BTB (Chopper, Valhalla, trip mines)

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive

Games completed on solo Legendary.
All. Duh.

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
Not a pink elite but I did get the Perfection achievement using a Chopper for an entire game.

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
H1: Literally all of Halo 1, but especially Halo, Assault on the Control Room, and Two Betrayals
H2: Ugh, Flood, boss fights, sniper jackals. Por que? Outskirts/Metropolis and Delta Halo/Regret
H3: Tsavo Highway, The Ark
ODST: Uplift Reserve, NMPD HQ, Mombasa Streets
Reach: Nightfall, Long Night of Solace, Exodus

Favorite Reach playlists.
Team Objective, Team Classic

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
Just this
32zhlkg.jpg

I really hope someone from AJ notices this troll

Opinion on reticle bloom.
Someone should really make the reticle a color that is not the same as Forge World's sky since we spend 95% of our time on that map. On a related note, this revamped reticle should not bloom. Another example of something Bungie had figured out perfectly in H1 with the pistol, plasma rifle, etc. rate-of-fire vs. spread tradeoff. Why did they change that formula again?

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
Eh, fun for trolling, would have been much better received if Reach's maps weren't overflowing with ball-suckitude. I will say that one time before Reach dies I want to play a BTB match with infinite armor abilities. I usually stick to Sprint.

Why are you a Halo fan?
Halo 1. LAN parties. Touch return CTF on Hang Em and Dammy. Halo 2's version of 1 bomb. AJ BTB cleanse sessions (victory laps). Valhalla plus Chopper and minus Spartan Laser. Gold elites of the H1 variety. Camo elites of the H1 variety. Jason Jones. B-L-B, B-X-R, etc. The first co-op playthrough of each new release (especially the one on 12/24/01). Going to real tournaments and getting cleansed, going to fake ass local tournaments or playing on my college's network and mopping the floor with bewildered BKs.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)
urk, for saying this way back when.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)
1,000 words
140 characters

Woorloog

Banned
I feel like answering these again

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Pretty recently, and got promoted to member a short time ago
What country are you posting from and what's your current age.
Finland, 21
At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
It was Halo CE (PC version) and i was... fuck, i can't remember anymore... 12-13. I'm not quite sure did i start liking Halo before i got the PC version or when the PC demo came..
For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
Since Reach leaks by Tom Morello i think, registered around Reach's Beta
ODST is my favorite Halo campaign because it feels like CE at times. Open areas you see, unique feel (CE had unique feel back then). As for Multiplayer, Halo 3 is the high point. Halo 2 has the best maps but gameplay in 3 is the best though it's not perfect.
Lone Wolves 45. It was a hellish job to get there...
AR or BR?
I prefer AR (i like CQB due it's chaotic nature as i thrive in chaos) but i like and use BR (mostly) (But that's Halo 3 BR. Halo 2 BR and Halo CE Pistol along with DMR from Reach are flawed (in different ways) in my opinion. Halo ODST Pistol ideally, with slightly beefed up shield damage and dual wielding (with scopes))
Can't pick single maps... I would have to pick a vehicle/mixed map and infantry map from each
Tempest, Highlands, Unanchored variant of Anchor 9, Uplink variant of that Defiant map, what's its name? Too bad it's almost impossible to get to play on those properly...
Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
BTB always. MLG is fun for it's fast pace but i dislike how they strip the sandbox bare.
Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
If the Firefight were like ODST's... Competitive Multiplayer
Games completed on solo Legendary.
All but Halo Wars.
What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
Silent Carthographer, in a way the whole Halo 2 campaign (not picking any single map from it), Tsavo Highway and the Storm and The Ark in Halo 3, ODST hub world. As much as i think Reach campaign as the worst Halo campaign, Tip of the Spear. Almost the only good mission in Reach...
Favorite Reach playlists.
BTB, Zombies, even though they are deeply flawed.
Opinion on reticule bloom.
Doesn't fit Halo. Automatic weapons can have it but they should recover quickly from it and have fast ROF. Short controller bursts should work and they should be the correct, rewarding way to use automatic weapons. But no because someone fucked up those weapons...
Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
Liked the equipment from Halo 3 better, i think those properly balanced and fixed and properly set on maps would've been better for Reach... Armor Abilities are not a bad idea but need some serious balancing and each map should have it's share of them, not all the same abilities in every map. Also, let us pick new ones from the field. No Evade for Spartans please. As for what i pick, Evade when available, Jetpack in The Cage/Uncaged if i'm not using Bumber Jumper and Camo for the rest of the time usually.
Why are you a Halo fan?
Halo CE Halo levels... huge open areas in a world that's alien jet somehow familiar. Also the universe... once they get it properly togheter. And assuming no more shit like time traveling in The First Strike.

MrBig said:
Here's a tentative list I've organized
Code:
H1 Chillout - FFA Oddball
H1 Hang 'Em High - Multiflag
H1 Sidewinder - Team Slayer
H2 Beaver Creak - Multiflag
H2 Turf - 3 Plots
H2 Headlong - 1 Flag
H2 Sanctuary - Team Slayer
H2 Ivory Tower (Reflection) - 1 Bomb
H2 Zanzibar - 1 Flag
H3 Gaurdian - Oddball
H3 Citadel - Team Slayer

Gametypes will have 110% speed, no AAs, 3 hit melee, DMR/AR starts, everything else default.

Sounds awesome.

What Sanctuary will you be using? I can recommend one if need be. H2 weapon/power up spawns on Reflection I assume?

Top Bottom