• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Hm. You know, thinking back, I did have more fun with ODST's Firefight than Reach's. But I do admit that a large share of that comes from the amount of time I spent in ODST's Firefight: more achievements to get.
ODST's Firefight was concieved of as a challenging mode for multiple players to try and hold back an onslaught. As such, it rewarded team work and resulted in many intense and hilarious standoffs. Reach's Firefight was tuned for single player, and for matchmaking folks who don't coordinate as well. I don't know if the latter was intentional, but that's the effect. Everyone can take up a shooting position and seldom have to move from it. Do that in ODST and you're dead meat because of how many enemies swarmed to your position. It required team work and constant movement - which made it harder, and more fun.

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=22518428&player=Empyrus
This is the Firefight mode i made. Tweaked Firefight Classic, enemies and skulls are still the same except for the addition of Red Skull which increases enemy sight and hearing and lowers their damage reduction to 90%.
Two loadouts, Shotty/magnum and AR/DMR, both have 3 frags, no equipment, weapon drops enable but no ammo crates. No Radar, 110% damage resistance, melee and weapon damange, 90%shield recharge, no health recharge.
Give it a try, if possible with more people, tell me what you think.
It felt better than standard Reach FF offerings to me based on my quick test... but then i made it so i'm not objective about it.
EDIT the enemy's quite vicious on Heroic and they do seem to be more aggressive than normally.

EDIT i should add IWHBD skull... Well. For the next version then, after feedback.
I recommend using Buck or Johnson FF voice, those are the best.

So for those of you not coming to PAX I plan on getting a few things signed to giveaway here. Any ideas what I could get signed/giveaway besides posters? Just trying to get an idea for some neat giveaways.

PooBone

A27 Tawpgun said:
If you want my honest opinion.... Good riddance. AR in all its iterations has never been a fun weapon to fight with or get shot at. At least for me.

You crazy tawpgun, CE AR was a beast, in single player and multiplayer.

Devin Olsen said:
So for those of you not coming to PAX I plan on getting a few things signed to giveaway here. Any ideas what I could get signed/giveaway besides posters? Just trying to get an idea for some neat giveaways.

Yourself!.

In all seriousness If you can grab H1/H2 for cheap you could get them signed.

Wait a second? People are using the firefight gametype option? Crap. I thought everyone forgot them, because you can't earn much credits via customs games...

Woorloog

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Wait a second? People are using the firefight gametype option? Crap. I thought everyone forgot them, because you can't earn much credits via customs games...
I don't normally use it. Due to lack of credits. But i just had to see if i could recreate ODST experience or something similar.
EDIT i sometimes play Halo CE on legendary and using AR almost exclusively. That's quite a challenge but it's not a bad weapon in CE campaign. A lot of ammo, good for wasting masses of Grunts and using the envinroment to your advantage, dueling Elites is easyish.

BigShow36 said:
The AR in CE MP was a cleanup weapon, at best, and mostly used for quick camo.
This actually brings up a good question - I know they won't bring back quick camo per se, but will they at least make it so one can move around without fading out of camouflage while the camo timer still lasts in the classic gametypes? No better feeling than spotting a camo'd guy and sniping him while he thinks he can move freely without being domed.

HiredN00bs said:
Just as one example, the AR already feels underpowered to the DMR at its (the AR's) intended range, and you're advocating dramatically increasing the DMR's effectiveness. I don't see how that is balanced.

Welcome to GAF, by the way, I see more and more familiar faces every day, especially recently. It's probably a product of the mass exodus from IGN and the long approval time on NeoGAF account registration.

Really? it feels pretty damn overpowered to me, even at insane range.

GhaleonEB said:
ODST's Firefight was concieved of as a challenging mode for multiple players to try and hold back an onslaught. As such, it rewarded team work and resulted in many intense and hilarious standoffs. Reach's Firefight was tuned for single player, and for matchmaking folks who don't coordinate as well. I don't know if the latter was intentional, but that's the effect. Everyone can take up a shooting position and seldom have to move from it. Do that in ODST and you're dead meat because of how many enemies swarmed to your position. It required team work and constant movement - which made it harder, and more fun.

I like to compare the two games as one being an edge of your seat thriller with high stakes, and the other watching a good comedy with a bunch of friends.

They are both fun, but in ENTIRELY different perspectives.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I like to compare the two games as one being an edge of your seat thriller with high stakes, and the other watching a good comedy with a bunch of friends.

They are both fun, but in ENTIRELY different perspectives.
This is a good analogy.

Tunavi

Banned
SO PUMPED FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS AT HALOFEST. David keeps bragging that we haven't seen anything yet. Wow.

Getting hyped for CEA. Bloomless gameplay, bleed-through melee, 4-shot DMR option, Damnation (going to be awesome for 1-flag), Battle Canyon

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
So if 343 stealth revealed no-bloom this week... what the hell do they have up their sleeve for next week? HaloFest... so... close...

I couldn't be happier. My biggest complaints about the Team Classic playlist were:
1. Bloom
2. Grenade nukes
3. Forge World only
4. Lack of melee bleed-through
5. Movement momentum.
If anything, Team Classic was one playlist where bloom was never a problem. The two issues it had was limited variety in map selection and weapon damage not being able to be modified without raising the power of the AR and grenades.

The movement and Needler Rifle usage is perfectly fine, in my view.

Striker said:
If anything, Team Classic was one playlist where bloom was never a problem. The two issues it had was limited variety in map selection and weapon damage not being able to be modified without raising the power of the AR and grenades.

Yeah the Needle Rifle needed to happen. I always picked in before they changed it, the DMR was just too slow for that movement speed.

Tunavi said:
I'm complaining about shock threads in OT. might get banned again. probably wont but if I do, have fun at halofest everybody.
Wow, the number of depressing thread titles on the OT page at this moment is bumming me out, man. :\ Good hunting over there, and hope no banz 4 U.

xxjuicesxx said:
Umm the AR got the ability to shoot a few bullets and then beat down. Seems like a FAIR TRADE.

BALANCE. DEAL WITH IT NUBSLUTS.

You know this argument does not make much sense... sense close range you can do the SAME THING with the DMR right?

GhaleonEB said:
This is a good analogy.

I hope Halo 4 can give us playlists with BOTH of these, because I have been missing ODST...

Hypertrooper said:
Right now at this moment, I'm completely the opposite of hyped for the HaloFest. HaloGAF hype me. Maybe the reason is pure envy.
What? Why wouldn't you be hyped for HaloFest right now?

Striker said:

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the Nerfle. I much prefer the look, sound, and feel of a DMR.

thezerofire said:
It's a lot easier to miss a shot or two with a DMR than with an AR

I see what you mean, but I always thought the chances of missing was not very high, that particular argument I find to be null and void.

A27_StarWolf said:
I see what you mean, but I always thought the chances of missing was not very high, that particular argument I find to be null and void.
when you're close range and people are moving a lot you can miss pretty easily, and you still need 4 shots to break shields, which takes longer than an AR does to take down the shields I'm pretty sure.

A27_StarWolf said:
You know this argument does not make much sense... sense close range you can do the SAME THING with the DMR right?

Yea but now the AR user will get that kill when before he wouldn't. The DMR user obviously was going to win before the TU, because well, DMR users are better players bottom line.

Just look at fyrewulf he did terrible all customs last night.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the Nerfle. I much prefer the look, sound, and feel of a DMR.
You're one of those guys?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the look, sound, or feel the the Needle Rifle. Especially when it is the most consistent weapon in Classic.

Hypertrooper said:
Right now at this moment, I'm completely the opposite of hyped for the HaloFest. HaloGAF hype me. Maybe the reason is pure envy.
How are you not hyped? PAX on it's own brings so much gaming news/fun to the table. Now we have HaloFest. It's going to be 3 days of non stop halo. TU will be detailed, there will be a lot of CEA gameplay, Halo 4 news, and who knows what else.

I honestly cannot wait.

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea but now the AR user will get that kill when before he wouldn't. The DMR user obviously was going to win before the TU, because well, DMR users are better players bottom line.

Just look at fyrewulf he did terrible all customs last night.

there's no pleasing you lol

If someone is playing right now, can they test something for me? Set up two people, one with AR, one with DMR, pretty close, and have them start firing at the body at full speed and see whose shields pop first. I'm genuinely curious about this now.

A27_StarWolf said:
will no bloom make the needlerifle better than the DMR? I mean it would work well with DMR starts, it could almost be a power weapon of sorts.
it still takes more shots to kill with a needle rifle, so I don't know

A27_StarWolf said:
there's no pleasing you lol

Your mom did last night lolololol.

When yo 1v1 Eazy bro :)

Serious question: Anyone know how to turn a TARGA file format picture into something useable if I don't have say Photoshop or Quicktime Pro (yea it loads the picture but to export to something useable they want me to pay lolol)

xxjuicesxx said:
Your mom did last night lolololol.

When yo 1v1 Eazy bro :)

Serious question: Anyone know how to turn a TARGA file format picture into something useable if I don't have say Photoshop or Quicktime Pro (yea it loads the picture but to export to something useable they want me to pay lolol)

Eazy was on last night, he obviously chickened out.

I could always warm up and kick your ass in a one vs one first ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sai-kun said:
So, did they actually nerf armor lock? I was looking at the Damnation video and it didn't seem like it.

They nerfed it like Ms. Gaga's makeup got nerfed.

stars_lady_gaga_Stars_Without_Make_up-s550x456-111835-580.jpg

/shudder

MrBig

Sai-kun said:
So, did they actually nerf armor lock? I was looking at the Damnation video and it didn't seem like it.
Damage taken decreases the charge meter. What happened in the video was a grenade exploded and cut the meter by almost a half.

You know you've been playing too much Halo when it also manifests itself in your dreams. Nothing special, just thought I was in the game playing.

Also Shake, pacing your shots doesn't mean shit anymore now that people figured out they could spam body shots and just land the headshot. The funny thing being that spam doesn't even work unless you've got a good ping with the host. Honestly guys, I think if they made the headshot worth more again (and tone auto-aim way the fuck down), that would help as well. Couple this with a better strafe and we're back to aiming and movement being the differential in skill, not some inconsistent mechanic that makes you change the way you play every game.

Striker said:
You're one of those guys?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the look, sound, or feel the the Needle Rifle. Especially when it is the most consistent weapon in Classic.

Don't get me wrong, I use the Needle Rifle when I play Team Classic. I know it's better.

But it doesn't feel classic.

The Needle Rifle is a neat addition to Reach. The supercombine works well and it is a nice Covenant counterpart to the DMR. I still prefer the DMR in Vanilla Reach, but I do not begrudge it being in those gametypes.

The Needle Rifle does not belong in Classic. At least, not as a spawn weapon. The only reason it is there now is to soften the impact of bloom on the gametype.

When the Title Update allows for the removal of bloom the Classic gametypes will feel more classic. I like that.

Devolution said:
You know you've been playing too much Halo when it also manifests itself in your dreams. Nothing special, just thought I was in the game playing.

Also Shake, pacing your shots doesn't mean shit anymore now that people figured out they could spam body shots and just land the headshot. The funny thing being that spam doesn't even work unless you've got a good ping with the host. Honestly guys, I think if they made the headshot worth more again (and tone auto-aim way the fuck down), that would help as well. Couple this with a better strafe and we're back to aiming and movement being the differential in skill, not some inconsistent mechanic that makes you change the way you play every game.

I'd be more than impressed if they found a way to bring stafe back.

wwm0nkey

Sai-kun said:
It looks like when the guy got hit by a grenade in armor lock it took out some of the energy and knocked him out of it.

Top Bottom