• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tunavi

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Right now at this moment, I'm completely the opposite of hyped for the HaloFest. HaloGAF hype me. Maybe the reason is pure envy.
wtf why?

You're insane. I'd rather be at halofest playing bloomless CEA on LAN with GAF rather than sitting at home on GAF...

feel

Hypertrooper said:
I'll be there.
I don't get it then, is this about missing out on the reaction gifs, rants, joy, megatons, tears, meltdowns, etc as it all happens? I don't think that compares to being able to say you were there. You can always go back an read all the halogaf crazyness and hilarity after the dust settles.

BigShow36

A27_StarWolf said:
I'd be more than impressed if they found a way to bring stafe back.

Its not difficult to find out how to do it, its simply a matter of them DOING it.

Increase player speed, increase player acceleration.

DONE.

Its frustrating, because I have had no indication 343 is even aware of the strafe issues. How amazing would it be if we actually had a Halo game where strafing was a skillful art, and people missed shots against really good players? It would be ridiculously amazing.

BigShow36 said:
Its not difficult to find out how to do it, its simply a matter of them DOING it.

Increase player speed, increase player acceleration.

DONE.

Its frustrating, because I have had no indication 343 is even aware of the strafe issues. How amazing would it be if we actually had a Halo game where strafing was a skillful art, and people missed shots against really good players? It would be ridiculously amazing.

what about motion blur? Its little things like that that would have to be edited.

Sai-kun

Banned
Alienshogun said:
They nerfed it like Ms. Gaga's makeup got nerfed.
/shudder

gaga praying for the haters.png

MrBig said:
Damage taken decreases the charge meter. What happened in the video was a grenade exploded and cut the meter by almost a half.

Was it at 4:30? Because I know that coming out of Armor Lock decreases the meter by like almost a third because of the EMP.

Alienshogun said:
She needs to pray for a new face, it appears her poker face is bluffing!

Oh snaps!

I hate you so much :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
wtf why?

You're insane. I'd rather be at halofest playing bloomless CEA on LAN with GAF rather than sitting at home on GAF...
Psh I'd rather be at MLG Raleigh than HaloFest....no really. I wish I could go to both though.

Devolution said:
Also Shake, pacing your shots doesn't mean shit anymore now that people figured out they could spam body shots and just land the headshot.
Oh Devo, I was jus' trolling.

Honestly, I'd really prefer Halo 4 not have bloom (but I wouldn't be heartbroken: the sometime randomness of bloom is nothing to me after seven years of playing on American hosts from Europe). But I'm also worried that removing bloom from Reach is going to be a horrible mess, if only because every element of Reach's design was, well, designed with the others in mind, and tweaking one or two things could have horrible unexpected consequences. I'll give it a fair shake, but I'm glad it's not standard.

Shake Appeal said:

Honestly, I'd really prefer Halo 4 not have bloom (but I wouldn't be heartbroken: the sometime randomness of bloom is nothing to me after seven years of playing on American hosts from Europe). But I'm also worried that removing bloom from Reach is going to be a horrible mess, if only because every element of Reach's design was, well, designed with the others in mind, and tweaking one or two things could have horrible unexpected consequences. I'll give it a fair shake, but I'm glad it's not standard.

You really need to play with friends in custom games more. Its getting harder and harder for me to do so, but when I can its glorious. I love Halo 3 customs.

bobs99 ... said:
You really need to play with friends in custom games more. Its getting harder and harder for me to do so, but when I can its glorious. I love Halo 3 customs.
Yeah, most of the Reach I've played in the last few months has been customs with guys who are solely in the UK/Ireland, and the experience is just so much smoother. As soon as we quit customs and go into big team or something, it becomes about half as fun to fire a DMR.

Shake Appeal said:

oh u

It could, who knows, we'll see. I hope Halo 4 just balances weapons around each other instead of trying to implement inconsistent mechanics on top of everything else. It also just seems kind of counter-intuitive to add an outside element into the game to balance it out, especially when it wasn't necessary as evidenced by previous games (or CE if people are going to argue BR was too powerful, which I could grant them.)

Still think AAs could have their place in campaign/ff as loadouts and pickups in MM.

In all honesty felt like they were trying too hard to add new shit and force it on people when Halo is Halo.

CyReN

Tashi0106 said:
Psh I'd rather be at MLG Raleigh than HaloFest....no really. I wish I could go to both though.

Have a plane ready Saturday night, we're going Sunday!

Anybody else going to be at MLG Raleigh besides Tashi and I?

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
"We will now take your questions. Please remember that the answer to all questions will be, 'we're not talking about that yet.'"

Kind of makes you wonder if they might show a new teaser trailer or something, because I can't imagine there being anything to talk about that they would actually answer otherwise.

Are you like dreading the flight Hyper? I don't understand otherwise...my wife asked me if I was excited the other day and I was like "Yea, when my feet touch the ground in Seattle I'll be excited." :p

Ramirez said:
You have to remember with bleed through, the AR becomes a lot more powerful again.
You're talking about in combination with melee, I assume? The AR already has bleed-through.

I like the change they showed to Armor Lock, because I've always felt it just had too much going for it as an ability. However, I feel like it's a moot change at this point because:

1) if you didn't use Armor Lock before, the fact that it's weaker won't entice you to use it.
2) if you did use Armor Lock before, you're less likely to use it now that's it's weaker.
3) most playlists in Reach don't have Armor Lock anyway.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Would anyone else like to see one of the games branch out and give insight into the other spartans? Several are just "MIA". Hmmmm...
I would LOVE this exploring more of the events that happened during the human vs covenant war would be awesome. One thing that I loved about Halo Wars.

Tawpgun

Devolution said:
oh u

It could, who knows, we'll see. I hope Halo 4 just balances weapons around each other instead of trying to implement inconsistent mechanics on top of everything else. It also just seems kind of counter-intuitive to add an outside element into the game to balance it out, especially when it wasn't necessary as evidenced by previous games (or CE if people are going to argue BR was too powerful, which I could grant them.)

Still think AAs could have their place in campaign/ff as loadouts and pickups in MM.

In all honesty felt like they were trying too hard to add new shit and force it on people when Halo is Halo.
They were trying to make a different Halo so it wouldnt be Halo 3.5. I understand that, but they went too far with some of the changes. Starting everyone unequally. Chance introduced into precision weapons. Removing OS and Camo pickups. Destroying the vehicle sandbox and BTB. And some smaller changes.

You want to know what's a proper sequel. Gears 3. All the core elements are the same. Add in new mechanics that enhance those elements. Fix all the problems from 2. The gears 3 beta was amazing.

@Devo All dead Spartans are MIA :p

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
You're talking about in combination with melee, I assume? The AR already has bleed-through.

Yes, you're seeing the return of the AR+Beatdown, a tactic I loathe, but will gladly swallow in order to get it back for the entire game.

I felt Reach was more of a game trying to quiet the people who claimed 1/2/3 were all the same, who cares what those people think? If it ain't broke...

If your team gets bounced in the first round Tash, will you still be content with missing Halofest? :p

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Kind of makes you wonder if they might show a new teaser trailer or something, because I can't imagine there being anything to talk about that they would actually answer otherwise.
Yeah, an hour long panel can't be filled just talking about the teaser trailer. I'm hoping for some background on development, the vision for the project, and perhaps some concept art, at the least. They won't show too much until CEA is out, I imagine, sort of how Reach was in the shadows until ODST was out a while.

I was honestly surprised to see a Halo 4 panel at all.

Ramirez said:
Yes, you're seeing the return of the AR+Beatdown, a tactic I loathe, but will gladly swallow in order to get it back for the entire game.

I felt Reach was more of a game trying to quiet the people who claimed 1/2/3 were all the same, who cares what those people think? If it ain't broke...

If your team gets bounced in the first round Tash, will you still be content with missing Halofest? :p

Nah those guys are more important than the people who are Halo fans.

Sadly thats the truth, got to cater to the CoD demographic :(

Devolution said:
Would anyone else like to see one of the games branch out and give insight into the other spartans? Several are just "MIA". Hmmmm...

I would love a game that follows the Spartans before they got the armour. It would be interesting see the secret operations they did against the insurrectionists. You would still be badass but you wouldnt have shields and so it would play a lot more stealthily.

Other than that I would LOVE any game that follows the Spartans from the books.

Tunavi

Banned
Sprint to double melee is one of the worst things about Reach. So glad to see bleed-though back. That way when I put 3 shots in a guy trying to double melee rush me, I can just take him out with a finishing melee.

Tashi

Ramirez said:

Yea, I'm not going into Raleigh with expectations set so high. I just want points. It's gonna be tough though, our team just formed the other night. We haven't had any real practice. Also, Halofest was out of my budget. I wish it was on a different weekend so I could at least follow the news and stuff.

Sprint-double melee barely works, though, if you just keep shooting at them. It's a bit random how they bounce, but I'd say I win in that situation most of the time.

Sprint-sword or sprint-hammer, now... that's some fucking bullshit.

Ramirez said:
While I don't like the principal behind gating damage from the DMR and melee, I did like the way it made the game more clear. I don't think going back to the way it was is the best solution. Part of what makes Halo for me is how clean the design is, and reading game play is paramount to that design. Look at how much emphasis they put on popping the shields in Reach, the loud "clang", the shields visually expanding and popping, all of that work is diminished with the re-introduction of bleed-through.

Tunavi said:
Sprint to double melee is one of the worst things about Reach. So glad to see bleed-though back. That way when I put 3 shots in a guy trying to double melee rush me, I can just take him out with a finishing melee.
Can you? I never bothered to learn the damage and health figures because it wasn't necessary with the way Reach reads.

Tunavi

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Sprint-double melee barely works, though

Sprint-sword or sprint-hammer, now... that's some fucking bullshit.
It doesn't work every time, but it does work enough to break gameplay.

Sprint/sword is so cheap its a joke. Evade/Sword is even worse.
HiredN00bs said:
Can you? I never bothered to learn the damage figures because it wasn't necessary with the way Reach reads.
Right now 3 shots and a melee will only take down the shields. melees are like headshots (won't kill if shields are up)
after the TU you'll most likely be able to melee for the kill after 3 shots, which is good.

BigShow36

HiredN00bs said:
While I don't like the principal behind gating damage from the DMR and melee, I did like the way it made the game more clear. I don't think going back to the way it was is the best solution. Part of what makes Halo for me is how clean the design is, and reading game play is paramount to that design. Look at how much emphasis they put on popping the shields in Reach, the loud "clang", the shields visually expanding and popping, all of that work is diminished with the re-introduction of bleed-through.

Clear for whom? People who just started playing? Was the confusion over bleed-through damage ever a barrier to entry for Halo? Not that I've heard before, and I've been with it since the beginning.

Whats more clear:
I shoot you more times and melee so I win.
or
I shoot you more times, but we both die at the same time.

HiredN00bs said:
Part of what makes Halo for me is how clean the design is, and reading game play is paramount to that design. Look at how much emphasis they put on popping the shields in Reach, the loud "clang", the shields visually expanding and popping, all of that work is diminished with the re-introduction of bleed-through.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say these post hoc fixes are messy.

Also, no bleed-through, in combination with better netcode and wider windows for melee, helped make the game fairer for non-Americans (i.e. they could get traded kills at least where they would previously have got nothing). Oh well.

Farooq

Banned
HiredN00bs said:
Just as one example, the AR already feels underpowered to the DMR at its (the AR's) intended range, and you're advocating dramatically increasing the DMR's effectiveness. I don't see how that is balanced.

Welcome to GAF, by the way, I see more and more familiar faces every day, especially recently. It's probably a product of the mass exodus from IGN and the long approval time on NeoGAF account registration.

Thanks for the welcome. Yea...IGN is dead.

On topic, It seems advocating a 4 shot DMR at it's current rate of fire would be a little extreme, I just called for the experimentation of it. Thinking it over, I wouldn't mind if it stayed 5 shot. My line of thought was how a DMR user would fair if he was pitted against someone who is wielding a power weapon.

In terms of the overall sandbox, I guess I just want it more focused with very few weapons overlapping their roles. With the AR, for close range it will be outclassed by the shotgun, and in close to medium range it should be beaten by the pistol. Quite frankly it seems redundant to have an AR in Reach's sandbox.

I understand that is just one of many examples you could use for weapons that would be obsolete if the DMR were to be improved. However, my argument for most weapons that are not power weapons, that they are not needed. I would also state that their inclusion, like others have stated, may not benefit the core of Halo gameplay. The fewer the weapons, the easier it is to balance. Plus with fewer weapons you are afforded the ability to up the damage, which decreases kill times, and in my view creates faster gameplay.

It is clear that this line of thinking is not for everyone, and people like to use a variety of weapons while playing Halo. I get and respect that. 343 probably won't do something this drastic to the sandbox anyway. I am just a supporter of a smaller, more streamlined sandbox.

HiredN00bs said:

Can you? I never bothered to learn the damage figures because it wasn't necessary with the way Reach reads.

Bleed through was always readable in the other games. It was subtle but you could tell what peoples health was like they literally glowed when low on shields.

I dont know, reading the game was never a problem, but I cant explain exactly how it was clear. I think that the way it is now just for the sake of making the game easier to read isnt worth it.

I prefer bleed through personally.

Tunavi

Banned
And btw, 4 shot DMR will not be the standard for matchmaking. I'm sure it will be a toggle option or only a specific gametype.

Tashi

Tunavi said:
I've been triple meleed in MLG before. lol I Fucking raged.
Triple melee is done in MLG to make a statement. It's to show how bad your opponent is. It's rarely used seriously.

BigShow36

Tunavi said:
And btw, 4 shot DMR will not be the standard for matchmaking. I'm sure it will be a toggle option or only a specific gametype.

I certainly hope its the standard for all "classic" matchmaking. The game needs a speed boost, and 4sk without bloom is one step in that direction.

BigShow36 said:
Clear for whom? People who just started playing? Was the confusion over bleed-through damage ever a barrier to entry for Halo? Not that I've heard before, and I've been with it since the beginning.

Whats more clear:
I shoot you more times and melee so I win.
or
I shoot you more times, but we both die at the same time.
I played a lot of 3, and a ton of Reach, but going back to 3 from Reach, it just felt sloppier. It felt like the people I was shooting would just die randomly. It felt like I would die randomly. I realize that I could acclimate to 3 and it would be fine (it was fine before), but again as I said, it feels better in Reach. Is the game holding my hand? To an extent, but it's also a great tool for making smarter tactical decisions in a firefight. As I said, principally, I don't like the idea of weapon and melee damage varying, but practically, it played great, in my opinion.

BigShow36

HiredN00bs said:
I played a lot of 3, and a ton of Reach, but going back to 3 from Reach, it just felt sloppier. It felt like the people I was shooting would just die randomnly. I realize that I could acclimate to 3 and it would be fine (it was fine before), but again as I said, it feels better in Reach. Is the game holding my hand? To an extent, but it's also a great tool for making smarter tactical decisions in a firefight. As I said, principally, I don't like the idea of weapon and melee damage varying, but practically, it played great, in my opinion.

Halo 3 feeling sloppy has little to do with bleedthrough, its just a messy game in general.

Tashi

Tunavi said:
I see what you did there.
Lol I didn't mean to do that. That's how it goes though.

How about....no bloom, 4 shot kill, fixed firing rate, same great distance. The BR we never had.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Lol I didn't mean to do that. That's how it goes though.

How about....no bloom, 4 shot kill, fixed firing rate, same great distance. The BR we never had.
2x scope and then
my body is ready.

Actually, I don't know why I'm complaining about a bloomless DMR. I will do better with one.

Any word on the pistol? I kind of like how many people seem to suck at using it currently.

Top Bottom