• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone said:
I always liked couch co-op in Halo CE because seeing where my spartan partner was and what he was doing made us a more efficient Covenant-destroying duo of death. God we played that game co op sooooo much. We'd mix it up in as many ways as we could, we tried putting cardboard on the TV to blind you from the other person's screen, we put on headphones and tried to play without speaking. One time we fuckin used hand signals. It was eerie how in tune we became to each other's play styles. The day before Halo 2 came out we played CE on legendary (w/ Mythic rules where if you die you restart the checkpoint) and beat it in 2 and a half hours. It was ridiculous.
couch co-op is fun when the person is sitting there, but I would never want that over live. Why in the world would I want to see my friend's perspective if s/he's not there? It would just be distracting, imo. Love live co-op just the way it is.

PooBone said:
I always liked couch co-op in Halo CE because seeing where my spartan partner was and what he was doing made us a more efficient Covenant-destroying duo of death. God we played that game co op sooooo much. We'd mix it up in as many ways as we could, we tried putting cardboard on the TV to blind you from the other person's screen, we put on headphones and tried to play without speaking. One time we fuckin used hand signals. It was eerie how in tune we became to each other's play styles. The day before Halo 2 came out we played CE on legendary (w/ Mythic rules where if you die you restart the checkpoint) and beat it in 2 and a half hours. It was ridiculous.
Still, that's nice and all if you have a big screen. Being forced to see the other person's screen on a small tv would be torture

GhaleonEB

Tangentially related to PAX plans:

I had today as a vacation day, and we were going to head up to the Seattle area for a day at the zoo, then stay in a hotel and hit a theme park nearby (Wild Waves) on Friday. Or were, until one kid spent last night throwing up.

New plan: we're heading up next Thursday, staying over to Friday. We're just going to take separate cars, so I'm going to be just a few miles away Friday morning instead of 2 1/2 hours. Which means a) I can be around for a Thursday evening pre-PAX gathering, and b) I don't have to leave the house at 5:30 am to get to PAX on time. So, yay, sort of.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I still haven't told my boss I need off next Thursday - Sunday for MLG Raleigh. I don't want to tell him that's what I need time off for too :lol it would just be super awkward.

"Yea uhhh I need off next week"
"Ok Tash, what for?"
"Ohh umm I'll be playing in a video game tournament"
"Oh ok, you need 4 days off to do that?"
"Wellllll I'll be flying to North Carolina on Thursday to comp-"
"Just shut up"

:lol

Tashi0106 said:
I still haven't told my boss I need off next Thursday - Sunday for MLG Raleigh. I don't want to tell him that's what I need time off for too :lol it would just be super awkward.

"Ok Tash, what for?"
"Just shut up"

Just say you're going to go visit family if it would be a big deal to him

PooBone

thezerofire said:
Still, that's nice and all if you have a big screen. Being forced to see the other person's screen on a small tv would be torture
Just saying it would be a nice option. Would never expect it though, Reach seems to have a hard enough time rendering two screens locally.

PooBone said:
Just saying it would be a nice option. Would never expect it though, Reach seems to have a hard enough time rendering two screens locally.
Speaking of extra screens and what not I want my Halo 2 Sniper screen in Halo 4.

GhaleonEB said:
Tangentially related to PAX plans:

I had today as a vacation day, and we were going to head up to the Seattle area for a day at the zoo, then stay in a hotel and hit a theme park nearby (Wild Waves) on Friday. Or were, until one kid spent last night throwing up.

New plan: we're heading up next Thursday, staying over to Friday. We're just going to take separate cars, so I'm going to be just a few miles away Friday morning instead of 2 1/2 hours. Which means a) I can be around for a Thursday evening pre-PAX gathering, and b) I don't have to leave the house at 5:30 am to get to PAX on time. So, yay, sort of.
Awesome! Er, I guess. Sorry your kid is sick.

Still no idea what I'm doing Thursday afternoon/night, but I'm sure we can figure out something to do between the forums and Twitter.

I'm also on board for lining up at the Sheraton on Friday morning at 8. Is it bad that I'm even looking forward to waiting in line? :p

Tashi0106 said:

"Ok Tash, what for?"
"Just shut up"

Me: "I need Thursday through Monday off. I'm going on a vacation with some friends to Seattle." *poker face*
Boss: "Cool." *signs form*

If he had asked more about my plans for Seattle I would have talked about PAX, I just wasn't going to bring it up on my own.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Ok so who is up for some Halo right now?
I got a new switch that allows me to hook my laptop into my LAN. If I can figure out how to set up XBC some H2 would be good today/tomorrow

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
ncsuDuncan said:
Me: "I need Thursday through Monday off. I'm going on a vacation with some friends to Seattle." *poker face*
Boss: "Cool." *signs form*

If he had asked more about my plans for Seattle I would have talked about PAX, I just wasn't going to bring it up on my own.

If pressed for more info you could've told him you were visiting your odd uncle David in Seattle. "He wears armor and doesn't afraid of anything."

PooBone said:
Screen watching and in-person communication is probably the thing I miss the most about LANs - I used to be so good about knowing what all of my teammates were doing and where to focus my next move to play off of them. But yeah, I don't need/want that over Live - too much information in that context I think.

heckfu said:
Running a Mac, any ideas on how on how to get on since I don't have a copy of Windows to bootcamp my MBPro with?

I dont think it can be done ( love to be proved wrong) we could use xblink kai im not sure how the 30ms ping limit on the 360s effects either could be wild goose chase

heckfu

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
I dont think it can be done ( love to be proved wrong) we could use xblink kai im not sure how the 30ms ping limit on the 360s effects either could be wild goose chase

Looks like I'm going back to windows.

Ha!
2eq8do9.gif

lybertyboy said:
If pressed for more info you could've told him you were visiting your odd uncle David in Seattle. "He wears armor and doesn't afraid of anything."

Sounds like the setup for a late 80s comedy.

Starring Matthew Broderick, Kurt Russell, and Jon Lovitz.

You can pick from those three. I'm actually played by a young new actor by the name of Robert Downey, Jr.

With a special cameo of Leslie Nielsen as "Mr. Errera".

--
Uncle? Really? You're not that much older than me. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lybertyboy said:

I'll say I'm going to visit my Uncle Walshy in North Carolina. Tashi, Walshy. Sounds believable lol

feel

Shake Appeal said:
Microsoft, I don't want to be in this living room today, tomorrow, ever.
While you fumble with your silly controller, I'll be going "xbox, imma grab something from the fridge real quick, in the meantime boot me some halo 4 and shoot xxmisterfranklesxx an invite.."

Tashi0106 said:
Well I know in Halo 3 it would search for players closest to your rank first and then searched further out as time went on. Also, 90% of players in the MLG playlist were 50's, so that helped too.

It does the same thing in Reach, but its just much more lenient and emphasizes getting you into a game very quickly.

Bungie offered party restrictions for the MLG playlist, which would have probably helped quite a bit, but they turned it down.

This is tough, but I am not watching any CEA game-play (Reach maps included). Hoping to have my first look/experience with the maps to be during HaloFest.

Not sure if you guys can talk about it, but if anyone from 343 can detail how the Halo 1 booth will be set up I would appreciate it. I am curious if we will get 4v4 or 2v2 games of Halo: CE going on during PAX...

Edit: Wu posted this over on HBO...

HaloPC 20 Minute Farewell Montage. Man do I wish the netcode for this game was just a little better, I think I would still be playing it today if the netcode wasn't complete trash.

Devin Olsen said:
This is tough, but I am not watching any CEA game-play (Reach maps included). Hoping to have my first look/experience with the maps to be during HaloFest.

Not sure if you guys can talk about it, but if anyone from 343 can detail how the Halo 1 booth will be set up I would appreciate it. I am curious if we will get 4v4 or 2v2 games of Halo: CE going on during PAX...
Hmm, I'm not sure about the Halo 1 setup.

According to Fyrewulff, the Halo: CEA/Reach LAN setup will be located under a bus somewhere.

Sorry Fyre, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to meeting you next week.

ncsuDuncan said:
Hmm, I'm not sure about the Halo 1 setup.

According to Fyrewulff, the Halo: CEA/Reach LAN setup will be located under a bus somewhere.

Sorry Fyre, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to meeting you next week.

Flame shirt? :p

Letters said:
While you fumble with your silly controller, I'll be going "xbox, imma grab something from the fridge real quick, in the meantime boot me some halo 4 and shoot xxmisterfranklesxx an invite.."
I'm pretty sure it's quicker for me to pick up a controller, flick the stick, press A, and put it down again, then it is for someone to navigate to a button and keep their 'hand' over it for a few seconds using Kinect. And I expend less energy and have greater accuracy.

Voice activated stuff is a cool novelty, I guess, if it works flawlessly with little lag. But Kinect might be the dumbest development in gaming of all time.

Top Bottom