• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, just when I thought Letters' shirt couldn't get any more awesome! The new revision is definitely my favorite.

But:

Zeouterlimits said:
Am I alone in not loving Beli343? I love 343, and have faith in them, but it seems a bit cold towards Bungie, bitch-slap/favouritism.
I really love the shirt though.
I feel the same way. I'd rather have it just say BELIEVE in normal text, and leave the in fighting and favoritism out of the design.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
Woah.

About the Mappacks: It looks like that this isn't a sale. Maybe we'll get an announcement via Bulletin today.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about this. Funny how it happens like 3 days after I make that big post about how the Halo DLC needed to start reducing in price so people weren't spending near the cost of the game just to catch up.

If 343 got MS to do a 50% permanent price reduction across the board, then I love them this much

from HBO:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1090201

It also applies to Halo 3. 200msp for Mythic 1 and 400msp for Mythic 2 (Legendary already at 160msp, I don't think they'd drop that to 80)

edit: and also Halo Wars. Both the Map Pack and the Gametypes DLC are now 400msp each.

Tawpgun

1. Why don't they make Halo 3 DLC free... Honestly...
I need to buy mythic 2 since mythic disc broke...

2. Do we know why Marcus left/where he's going?

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
1. Why don't they make Halo 3 DLC free... Honestly...
I need to buy mythic 2 since mythic disc broke...

2. Do we know why Marcus left/where he's going?

DLC that lets you get new achievements cannot be free.

FyreWulff said:
DLC that lets you get new achievements cannot be free.

...which is a rule put in place by Microsoft, and ergo can be changed at any time..

I mean, it probably won't be changed at any time. But it should!

RE: Marcus - I hope he has another job lined up...perhaps with 343?

FyreWulff said:
from HBO:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1090201

It also applies to Halo 3. 200msp for Mythic 1 and 400msp for Mythic 2 (Legendary already at 160msp, I don't think they'd drop that to 80)

edit: and also Halo Wars. Both the Map Pack and the Gametypes DLC are now 400msp each.
Yeah, I was just about to post about all of the above on HBO (I had it written out!) when Wu beat me. Thank God I checked the front page before posting.

It's actually a Microsoft Studios sale, so you can get 50% off on Gears map packs, Forza car packs and more.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
omg.kittens said:
Holy crap, just when I thought Letters' shirt couldn't get any more awesome! The new revision is definitely my favorite.

But:

I feel the same way. I'd rather have it just say BELIEVE in normal text, and leave the in fighting and favoritism out of the design.
What about "Beloved" for Bungie with a heart for the o?

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Why the fuck. What does that accomplish?
Microsoft found that new Achievements motivate purchases. MS is motivated to generate income. So, they mandated all DLC with Achievements must be paid DLC, so they get a cut.

wwm0nkey

You know, I would just be fine with the DLC dropping to 80 points after 8 month to a year of being out. I really believe all Halo 3 DLC should just be 80 points right now.

Woorloog

Banned
The map packs are on sale?
Maybe i can finally get my friends to buy the map packs. We could finally play Premium Battle/Slayer.
I should've waited and not bought the map packs day one. Had i known that they're not exactly available in normal playlists and had i know how much they cost vs how much you get to play on them...
I know i won't be buying Halo 4 map packs right away unless they contain Single Player mission(s)(not Firefight) too and/or they will be common in Matchmaking.
Firefight maps are fine if they're good and if Halo 4 has Firefight mode and it's actually good, like ODST's (with proper customization options). Reach Firefight suffers from the game mechanics and cheating (accuracy) and stupid AI

Woorloog said:
The map packs are on sale?
Maybe i can finally get my friends to buy the map packs. We could finally play Premium Battle/Slayer.
I should've waited and not bought the map packs day one. Had i known that they're not exactly available in normal playlists and had i know how much they cost vs how much you get to play on them...
I know i won't be buying Halo 4 map packs right away unless they contain Single Player mission(s)(not Firefight) too and/or they will be common in Matchmaking.
Yeah, one of my friends still needs the noble map pack and another one the defiant so we can never play those playlists together.

I'm still gonna buy the map packs on release though; the temptation is just to big and they aren't that expensive so I'll just pay the full prize.

Shocked about hearing Marcus is leaving Bungie, I thought he was very confident and enthousiastic about their new project.

I don't mind the BELI343 meme, but surely I'm not the only one who's recognized that a rotation instead of a flip will
1) spell "believe" more clearly and 2) keep the 343 more consistent looking - looking at the flipped version upside down makes my head hurt
beli343vu3j.png

First game - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=722726426&player=The Henery

Guy and his guest ruin any chances of winning by going a combined negative 25.

second game - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=722756543&player=The Henery

Win this one but it's a drawn out chore as two of the opponents quit a few minutes in.

third game - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=722767354&player=The Henery

Guy and his two guests ruin any chance of winning by going a combined negative 24

fourth game - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=722786390&player=The Henery

My entire team quits for no apparent reason a few minutes in *sigh*. Narrowly lose the game by two kills despite being 1v4.

A couple of things
1. What the fuck has happened in the last week or so with quitters. Reach has been fine for months; suddenly there's an epidemic of late. Had many games botched in the last week due to a disproportionate amount of quitting.#

2. Fuck guests being allowed in team snipers, seriously. Whose idea was that? At this point i'm advocating Ram's idea of a guests only playlist in which they are quarantined from the rest of the population. I never thought i'd agree with that but from my experience in Reach the vast, vast majority of guests are to the significant detriment of the quality of the game.

feel

Thanks for the input dudes but that thing is done and submitted, I can't just keep changing it to please everyone, and I don't want it to be unfocused and referencing too many aspects of halogaf, let's take those ideas (the Bungie appreciation specially, and not having a big image on the front for a more serious look, I like those) and put them towards some other new designs, we can (and I would want to) buy multiple ones.

One other thing, I came up with the beli343 originally and even if I'm very vocal about not being a fan of the vanilla Reach mp I just wanted to make it clear that it's not supposed to be about 343i coming in and fixing Halo after Bungie fucked up, but more about having faith that they will do a great job continuing Bungie's incredible legacy. It's all about 343i, no disrespect to Bungie intended.

@syracuse you're right, others are free to use it like that, it's not a locked thing, I personally will continue using the old one because 3 to E is not a big stretch like 4 to V, and the 3 loses impact to me when it looks more like an E, but mostly because I've grown attached to the look already (was getting a headache trying to figure out what looked wrong in the version I put it on the shirt, and turned out I had the 4 horizontally flipped at first)

Letters said:
One other thing, I came up with the beli343 originally and even if I'm very vocal about not being a fan of the vanilla Reach mp I just wanted to make it clear that it's not supposed to be about 343i coming in and fixing Halo after Bungie fucked up, but more about having faith that they will do a great job continuing Bungie's incredible legacy. It's all about 343i, no disrespect to Bungie intended.
Oh I know it wasn't an intentional slight, just felt it could be seen as that.

ElRenoRaven

Ok I'd be lying if I said i wasn't starting to worry about Bungie. Now Marcus is leaving. I mean serious that's like what? The 4th or 5th high profile departure over the last year or so?

GhaleonEB said:
Reach project lead and longtime Bungie art director Marcus Lehto is leaving Bungie.

game_fabricator Marcus Lehto

My end at Bungie is close. I will miss the many talented friends within.​

http://twitter.com/#!/game_fabricator/status/95737911114350592

I'm shocked. I've been an admirer of his for years, and between he and Griesemer, two of Bungie's old guard have now left recently.

Edit: Beat, but I brought teh linkz.

Whoa, shocked. Marcus is a Bungie OG.

GhaleonEB said:
Reach project lead and longtime Bungie art director Marcus Lehto is leaving Bungie.

I'm shocked. I've been an admirer of his for years, and between he and Griesemer, two of Bungie's old guard have now left recently.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

feel

MrBig said:
Yeah, makes me concerned about the direction the studios is taking that it would make him want to leave.
This is what I was thinking about. Sucks to see him leave, he's so integral to Bungie. Best of luck to him.

PooBone

GhaleonEB said:

Who all is left from the Halo: CE days? Jason Jones, Joe Staten, Rob and Lorraine McLees, and Marty O'Donnell is the only ones I can think of.

I wonder where Marcus is going.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
This is what I was thinking about. Sucks to see him leave, he's so integral to Bungie. Best of luck to him.
Same. Marcus was the art director for all of the Halo games, and Jaime the sandbox designer for Halo 1-3. Obviously Bungie is a lot more than two people, but it's a tad worrying to me that the leads on the sandbox and art - the two things I love about Halo - have left.

senador

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Ok I'd be lying if I said i wasn't starting to worry about Bungie. Now Marcus is leaving. I mean serious that's like what? The 4th or 5th high profile departure over the last year or so?

Same. It could just be that these guys have been investing so much of their lives that they are tired and now would be a perfect time to break away before getting too invested in another IP/universe. Still, it makes me wonder. It seemed like these guys all had their dream jobs, and when that happens you only leave if you find a better dream job, or you are not liking things.

Honestly I hope its that he's just tired and now is a good time to drop out, but in the last year there's been:

Chad Armstrong (Shishka)
Brian Jarrard (ske7ch, mancannon)
Jaime Griesemer

I swear there was 1 more, plus several who went to 343i. I consider those dudes just choosing between Halo and Bungie and wanting to continue being with Halo. These others though were OGs. Hrm.

PooBone

GhaleonEB said:
Same. Marcus was the art director for all of the Halo games, and Jaime the sandbox designer for Halo 1-3. Obviously Bungie is a lot more than two people, but it's a tad worrying to me that the leads on the sandbox and art - the two things I love about Halo - have left.
Especially when Sage Merrill was the lead sandbox designer for Reach and it seems like a lot of people have certainly taken issue with some of the changes and additions.

PsychoRaven said:

I really hope he's leaving to join 343, but if not I do wonder whats up. Bungie without Marcus Lehto is really odd, hes one of the dudes I recognised vidoc after vidoc, pretty much for the last 10 years.

I do hope the best for him, dudes incredibly talented and im sure anywhere would love to hire him. Im personally hoping 343 does. :p Like others though I get the feeling this may just have been the best opportunity to drop out of the video game industry or whatever rather than leaving Bungie specifically.

senador said:
Same. It could just be that these guys have been investing so much of their lives that they are tired and now would be a perfect time to break away before getting too invested in another IP/universe. Still, it makes me wonder. It seemed like these guys all had their dream jobs, and when that happens you only leave if you find a better dream job, or you are not liking things.

Honestly I hope its that he's just tired and now is a good time to drop out, but in the last year there's been:

Chad Armstrong (Shishka)
Brian Jarrard (ske7ch, mancannon)
Jaime Griesemer

I swear there was 1 more, plus several who went to 343i. I consider those dudes just choosing between Halo and Bungie and wanting to continue being with Halo. These others though were OGs. Hrm.
I still want to know, what happens to Brian. He was so friendly at GamesCom. :(

Hitmonchan107 said:
Yeah, I was just about to post about all of the above on HBO (I had it written out!) when Wu beat me. Thank God I checked the front page before posting.

It's actually a Microsoft Studios sale, so you can get 50% off on Gears map packs, Forza car packs and more.

Excellent, just nabbed defiant, but I don't have enough points for noble :(.

As for Letho, best of luck to him, he is very talented and passionate about what he does and I'm sure he'll make some incredible things wherever he finds himself. As for Bungie, it may not be as bad as it may seem - it may be that a lot of the departures are due to how careers work - after a decade at a company it is not unreasonable for someone to want a change of scene or a change of role; game development is a profession that does not lend itself to a lot free time.

PooBone said:
Who all is left from the Halo: CE days? Jason Jones, Joe Staten, Rob and Lorraine McLees, and Marty O'Donnell is the only ones I can think of.

I wonder where Marcus is going.

I fired up the Halo 1 credits, and these names ring a bell as those who have stuck around at Bungie, although I may be wrong:

Chris Butcher
Dave Dunn
Mat Noguchi
Paul Russel
Shi Kai Wang
Paul Bertone
Tom Giaconda
Harold Ryan
Curtis Creamer
Roger Wolfson
Chris Carney
Pete Parsons (although he was under special thanks and wasn't he at MS at the time?)

Top Bottom