• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:
I think this point is safe with games like Halo, Call Of Duty or Gears Of War 3. There are always in Top10 for years. Call of Duty has the Elite Membership, so my guess is that we will see something like that. I will call it Halo Waypoint: Premium. Pay $50-70 for a year and you will get:
10 Renders minute every month
(Time-) exclusive HaloWaypoint Videos/stuff
The DLC thing like the other Season passes right now.
etc.

You'd pay 70 bucks for what you just listed? lol

Ramirez said:
You'd pay 70 bucks for what you just listed? lol
Don't you see the "etc." at the end? What do you get if you are CoD Elite member? The same stuff I think? (And stats etc. but that was free for Halo and should be always)

PooBone said:
Hell one of the last maps had a planet being glassed by Covenant ships in the background and it didn't hurt anything.
It has, but did you see the other environment on Highlands? Still an awesome looking map.

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:
Don't you see the "etc." at the end? What do you get if you are CoD Elite member? The same stuff I think? (And stats etc. but that was free for Halo and should be always)

I never said I was enough of a fool to buy the CoD garbage either. Season passes should be no more than 30 bucks, and that should encompass about 4 map packs plus a few other small things.

I'll never buy a season pass until I actually play the game a lot to see if I'm actually going to play it to even use the entire pass. Glad I passed on Gears 3, they really dicked people over in the first map pack considering you can only play them in private matches upon release.

Ramirez

Ken said:
I wonder if the Dark Souls OT will eventually catch up to the Reach OT.

Doubt it, eventually people will beat it, get frustrated and quit, or move on to the next big single player game. This thread will last for another year. :p

Ken

Ramirez said:
Doubt it, eventually people will beat it, get frustrated and quit, or move on to the next big single player game. This thread will last for another year. :p
It's kind of surprising though that it's already on OT3 despite not really having a traditional multiplayer component, and also has a separate community thread.

Hey You

reggie said:
Microsoft needs to stop fucking around and start releasing maps like they did back for Halo 2. First few months are paid, then they're free with DLC being mandatory.

It's the only proper way to handle paid multiplayer content.

Isn't it funny how even though I paid for the Halo 2 maps I felt like I got my moneys worth, even after they had become free, I was happy to support that model. Now with Reach I stupidly got sucked in to buying maps which I've probably played less than 10 times.
Is this the part where we throw in the overused M$?

I would have thought 343i would have been able to swing a huge sale on all Halo Content (including full games) for Halo's 10 anniversary. Like a month long, probably would get people on the fence to jump in and try out Reach (or heck maybe even a halo game). I think they should make the Halo 3 maps free, put the ODST Disk (not multiplayer disk) on Games on Demand for $20 or less.

I've sure Microsoft must have recouped the development costs for Halo 3's Map Pack by now. It would be interesting to see the sale numbers of Halo 3 and its DLC.

I feel like I've gotten my worth for paying for Halo 3's DLC (twice!), I'm pretty sure none of the people that play Halo 3 and Own the DLC would mind if they went free. More players for DLC required playlists (and maybe a boost in population?).

Homeboyd said:
I don't think there are enough people buying the maps (I have no factual data to back this up, just a guess based on what I've seen)... which sucks because I would happily buy new DLC every 2 months if they offered it. I know Im probably in the minority... I just love new maps (or any new content for that matter).

I'm even hoping they get CA to work on even more DLC after CEA drops. New (non-remake) maps.
I'm in the same boat. New maps keep the game refreshing and exciting for me. I've played close to 6000 games of Reach so far, but the amount I'm playing it slowing down (mostly because of time, but also nothing new currently).

darthbob

FyreWulff said:
Still waiting for Halo 2 to show up on Xbox Originals. They can even save space by commenting out the "LIVE" menu from the main menu!

That's not going to happen, ever.

Best we can hope for is Halo 2 getting an XBLA release.

Falagard

FyreWulff said:
Far Cry 2's map editor was so good that I don't know a single person that actually bought it's paid DLC maps. I'm not even sure why Ubisoft even tried.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Far Cry 2 editor may have had amazing terrain editing and foliage placing abilities, but mostly had prefab buildings and you couldn't really create your own structures.

Lyphen said:
40,000 posts in less than a month. You've got a goal, HaloGAF.
It's the hype. Dark Soul is a good game, but people are going to play it till January and then only the hardcore fans will post in the thread.

wwm0nkey said:
That or adopt Call of Duty's method of matching DLC players together.

To release a AAA multiplayer console game these days without something similar to COD's DLC matchmaking algorithm is flat unacceptable. I was amazed and baffled that Reach didn't have anything in place for DLC, especially after Halo 3's horrid DLC implementation.

DLC is going to cost money and is not likely to ever go to a free-later model, so you need to actual reward players that are willing to spend more money on your game.

Especially now that games come out with like 4 maps, cause fuck it, we'll have DLC coming out.

Devin Olsen said:
Megalo would be a good start.
Indeed. I'd even go so far as to sacrifice the texture resolution back to H2 levels if it meant being able to create genuinely unique spaces that didn't cause the gamebreaking lag that Forge World does.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
To release a AAA multiplayer console game these days without something similar to COD's DLC matchmaking algorithm is flat unacceptable. I was amazed and baffled that Reach didn't have anything in place for DLC, especially after Halo 3's horrid DLC implementation.

DLC is going to cost money and is not likely to ever go to a free-later model, so you need to actual reward players that are willing to spend more money on your game.

Especially now that games come out with like 4 maps, cause fuck it, we'll have DLC coming out.

That's a prime reason why I refuse to buy DLC maps. The only reason I have the DLC I do is give aways, Bing rewards, etc.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
I think this point is safe with games like Halo, Call Of Duty or Gears Of War 3. There are always in Top10 for years. Call of Duty has the Elite Membership, so my guess is that we will see something like that. I will call it Halo Waypoint: Premium. Pay $50-70 for a year and you will get:
etc.
I wouldn't pay that much for that.

PsychoRaven said:
That's a prime reason why I refuse to buy DLC maps. The only reason I have the DLC I do is give aways, Bing rewards, etc.

I can't blame you one bit for that. You are not rewarding for paying for them. That's also why I've always been willing to pay for COD maps even though I don't play the game nearly as much as Halo. I am rewarding for buying the maps in those games, and that certainly has to be a contributing factor to their DLC sales being through the roof.

Kind of makes a little sad about CEA maps, because those 6 maps are hands-down better than anything on the Reach disc, Noble, or Defiant and you'll still be stuck playing a three map rotation of Countdown, Zealot, and Forge World in everything outside of CEA required playlist(s).

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
I can't blame you one bit for that. You are not rewarding for paying for them. That's also why I've always been willing to pay for COD maps even though I don't play the game nearly as much as Halo. I am rewarding for buying the maps in those games, and that certainly has to be a contributing factor to their DLC sales being through the roof.

Kind of makes a little sad about CEA maps, because those 6 maps are hands-down better than anything on the Reach disc, Noble, or Defiant and you'll still be stuck playing a three map rotation of Countdown, Zealot, and Forge World in everything outside of CEA required playlist(s).

Why would anyone ever leave these playlists after CEA hits?

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
etc.
Ohh GOD NO. Keep that shit away from Halo.

Bound to happen :(

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Hypertrooper said:
To play some serious Halo on SwordBase with Bloom and Armor Lock? You know that you'll miss it.

Don't forget the great games you'll miss on Boardwalk!

I loathe Boardwalk.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
TheOddOne said:
Ohh GOD NO. Keep that shit away from Halo.

Bound to happen :(
Worth it.

Got the GOW3 season pass, getting the Hardcore MW3 edition... if HaloCEA or 4 have some sort of season pass i'll go for it.

If i save money on map packs, i'm down. I HATE having to buy 800 MS points every 3 months.

Powerhouse is very good, Zealot is decent, Countdown would be good but is held back by terrible power weapon choices, Unanchored is not terrible although will never show in MM. That's about it (for 4v4).

PooBone said:
I don't think the skybox will have any affect on performance, no matter how busy it is, it's still just the equivalent of a painting. Hell one of the last maps had a planet being glassed by Covenant ships in the background and it didn't hurt anything.

Are you referring to Condemned? You must not use scoped weapons in Halo then. Scoping from top blue base to red door is about 10 frames per second and that's being generous.

GhaleonEB

ONI's Challenge today would be doable were it not for Kat. I just gave it a few tries, and she got me killed twice on the opening sequence. After I got through it on attempt #4 or so, I made the mistake of letting her gun the Warthog. She literally can't kill one Grunt sitting front of the Warthog. She fires a few tiny pulses, missing or doing marginal damage, and then we get over charged and then stuck. That was enough for me; a total waste of time.

The higher difficulty settings really bring out how horrifying the Reach NPC AI is. It is borderline game breaking on levels where they accompany you throughout. Were this same level of challenge available in Halo 3, or without Kat trying to murder me, it would be fun.

PNut

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Powerhouse is very good, Zealot is decent, Countdown would be good but is held back by terrible power weapon choices, Unanchored is not terrible although will never show in MM. That's about it (for 4v4).

Yup.

Swordbase could be good too but blue spawn ruins it. As for the Community maps I don't mind Kingdom, Select (kinda has a Narrows vibe), Synapse and Enclosed.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Wow, that was horrific.

4 minutes of infinite-ammo no-reload rockets with 12 players on a relatively small map... and the person we're watching gets 6 kills?

That should never have been put online. :(

I dunno. I think it was worth putting online just for the laughs it gave me.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Louis Wu said:
Wow, that was horrific.

4 minutes of infinite-ammo no-reload rockets with 12 players on a relatively small map... and the person we're watching gets 6 kills?

This should be a trope. Call them "Multiplayer preview baddies".

Louis Wu said:
Wow, that was horrific.

Seriously.

If that was at NYCC, did 343 set that game up? For shame if so, not a great way to show off the map.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
Seriously.

If that was at NYCC, did 343 set that game up? For shame if so, not a great way to show off the map.
They've been trolling hard every time a CEA map is shown. I hope we'll get to see some proper Classic multiplayer sometime before launch. Classic gameplay seems like a huge afterthought at this point instead of the focus of the showcase of CEA multiplayer it should be.

Ramirez

We watched this old guy at PAX on Beaver Creek. He kept scoping in with his AR, trying to fire while scoped, then proceeded to melee past a guy, and kept going because he thought he killed him, lulz.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:

Agreed, I also like how they are looking into it for Reach already. Wonder how that is going so far though.

Also Halo 4 better have a Matchmaking Algorithm like Call of Duty when it comes to DLC.

Top Bottom