• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Louis Wu said:
I think it's an awesome idea. I also think it's a pretty enormous amount of work, and hope it doesn't overwhelm you.

This. That sounds like an huge amount of work and very demanding on the technical side of things to get it all working smoothly.

Nothing wrong with lofty ambitions though. If you think you can pull it off, go for it.

Dani said:
This. That sounds like an huge amount of work and very demanding on the technical side of things to get it all working smoothly.

Nothing wrong with lofty ambitions though. If you think you can pull it off, go for it.

Technical side wouldn't be hard if you just run it on something like wordpress, then you can tag stuff and categorize it very easily.

MrBig

Doing some research and found that the Gungir helmet was codenamed the "lunchbox" :lol

also it makes me sad to see nice, big, beautiful textures overlayed with low res scratches and grunge

And there was a cut spartan named Will that was going to wear mkVI amor?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How about this. Yes, it was douchey. Yes, it was unsportsmanlike, immature. Has it happened before? Yes. Will it happen again? Yes. Does it happen often enough to consider me or my teammates to be assholes? No

Also, it's not like the host was the only one eating shots. The whole team was. It was a fucking tough ass match to win and it WASN'T because those guys were better than us. It was because they had an advantage. There are certain cases in matches that call for shit talking. This is one of them. Another one would be beating a team 3v4 in an objective match. That calls for shit talking to. Once in a while if I do it, it's fine. Also, a lot of times when we talk shit about other players either to them or just amongst our teammates, it's to build confidence. "Let's go, these guys fuckin suck!" "OMG you're so bad!!"

We're fuckin saints compared to a lot of the MLG players. We lost a match the other night and I had a guy come into my stream, just to talk shit. He talked shit before the match, during it for sure and afterwards and then came to my stream lol.

That's all I'm going to say on this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
Technically side wouldn't be hard if you just run it on something like wordpress, then you can tag stuff and categorize it very easily.

I'm well aware of how Wordpress and other CMS's works. =P

I was thinking about video hosting and the cost and resources needed for that sort of thing. Anyone can just throw a video up on Youtube and link it in a Wordpress blog. I assumed if they were going to follow on from HIH they would be doing something more than that.

Devolution said:
Technical side wouldn't be hard if you just run it on something like wordpress, then you can tag stuff and categorize it very easily.
Funny you should mention that, I need to set up a wordpress for 2 of my modules in uni and learn how to tag posts haha.

Dani said:
I'm well aware of how Wordpress works. =P

I was thinking about video hosting and the cost and resources needed for that sort of thing. Anyone can just throw a video up on Youtube and link it in a Wordpress blog. I assumed if they were going to follow on from HIH they would be doing something more than that.

Wordpress isn't just bloggy, you can take it much further. In terms of cost, either you put ads or you garner enough interest and get donations.

The technical side is actually rarely an issue, it's generating enough interest or even getting the right people to get a project off the ground running.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
Wordpress isn't just bloggy, you can take it much further. In terms of cost, either you put ads or you garner enough interest and get donations.

The technical side is actually rarely an issue, it's generating enough interest or even getting the right people to get a project off the ground running.

Devo, I run a site using Wordpress. It's great and I know exactly how far it can be taken. It's an amazing CMS and I'm not speaking against it in any way here.

I'm saying hosting video is expensive and technically punishing at times.

Hey You

Tunavi said:
Take evade out of this game, its literally gamebreaking.

Also, Bungie may have fucked up a lot, but they updated this game once a month. 343 hasn't done a single thing to the playlists yet. I know the TU is coming, but its been over 2 months since this game has been updated.
To be fair, Bungie's the one who designed the backend so they know how it all works and such. 343i just got the backend stuff and (most likely) doesn't know how everything works completly yet.

Plus they have a huge plate atm.

Devin Olsen said:
So HaloGAF I am wondering what your opinion on this is...

I am not sure how many of you follow tricking/glitching in Halo but you may be aware that a while ago HiH shut down. That was really and truly the last spot to go for anything related to tricking in Halo.

With CEA coming out soon, I am considering starting up a website with goatrope that will be home to all tricks/glitches/skulls/terminals/speed runs related to Halo (mainly focusing on CEA). There are a lot of cool ideas that goatrope and I are tossing around at the moment, but I just honestly want to know if the interest is even there. Would you guys like something like that? It will have video tutorials for all the terminal locations, all the skull locations, all the existing Halo: CE tricks (but re-done with CEA graphics), and a lot more.

Opinions?
Yes, that would be awesome.

ElRenoRaven

Hydranockz said:
Hahaha such a pity this wasn't spotted sooner indeed.

*Pulls off mowing shoes*
*Passes out from smell*
*Wakes up*

God it sucks when the 3 months of 100 degree heat comes to an end. That means mowing time. Anyway onto the topic. lol

Oh Yea it really is. It's a sad but true comic. That's one of the little things that I really can't believe wasn't caught before ship. It should not give you more credits for not playing the game as intended. As for me I don't care if I get less. I just can't do things like that. I may get less credits but so be it.

Lulz at the current post counts, Devo needs to become a professional forum poster hired to secretly promote the PSP.

Tried to bul.... poke Zalinkrow to do the LASO challenge, but he seems reluctant ;_;

MrBig said:
Doing some research and found that the Gungir helmet was codenamed the "lunchbox" :lol

also it makes me sad to see nice, big, beautiful textures overlayed with low res scratches and grunge

And there was a cut spartan named Will that was going to wear mkVI amor?

Wasn't there two spartans cut?

Ken

MrBig said:
tvhat.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dani said:
I don't get this. They are cut from the game.
Thom is the previous 6, there's little about him other than Jorge mentioning "So that's our new number six." Bungie did decent job at creating a more personal story, but could have done a lot more to show the struggles and losses of Spartan 3s, especially if they were going to contradict Ghosts of Onyx so much. Things like mentioning Thom and insurrections would be so easy, but so effective at actually creating character within the team.

Lyphen said:
Ah, Bungie. Why do wiki sites have to do all the interesting story exposition for you?

If you like those sidestories, you should read up on the radio stories (you can hear then through various radios on multiplayer and firefight maps) during the Reach campaign if you haven't already: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Reach_radio_conversations

Pretty awesome pieces to read.

Dani said:
I don't get this. They are cut from the game.

Rosenda and Thom both have a little role in the Halo canon.

Striker

Lyphen said:
Thom is the previous 6, there's little about him other than Jorge mentioning "So that's our new number six." Bungie did decent job at creating a more personal story, but could have done a lot more to show the struggles and losses of Spartan 3s, especially if they were going to contradict Ghosts of Onyx so much. Things like mentioning Thom and insurrections would be so easy, but so effective at actually creating character within the team.
Revert back to Halo 3's co-op buddies who even got a small, meaningless side story to their history. :lol

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
Take evade out of this game, its literally gamebreaking.

Also, Bungie may have fucked up a lot, but they updated this game once a month. 343 hasn't done a single thing to the playlists yet. I know the TU is coming, but its been over 2 months since this game has been updated.

Bitter tears.

How long did it take them to do simple things like remove Drop Shields? Evade is still there, and a lot of the playlists are flat out terrible. Just because they released a bullet point list every month doesn't mean they did something worthwhile every month.

senador

Banned
Good games omg.kittens (cept that last one).

FWIW, I am in the process of converting a large-ish site out of WordPress due to needing more customization and security than it can offer. When making a site it's important to map out what you want long term and make goals. You don't want to back yourself into something you can't get out of or change easily.

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
This is where you are wrong.

You're telling me Bungie never had a down month or two? Give me a break, lol.

There's really not much left to be done with this game aside from the TU anyways, no need in bellyaching about it, fixes are on the way.

Im just curious, does anyone here have any experience of Maya? How hard would it be to create something simple like a Halo ring in it? Im determined to learn video editing, after effects and maya - and was thinking of trying to maybe make a Halo montage to learn the tools.

Seems like a really nice fit, special effects would fit nicely onto Halo footage. I have access to a pretty amazing (virtual) camera so wont need to fuss there, hell I could revisit scenes and take different camera angles of the same shot without the expense of setting up real camera :p and there are literally hundreds of people who have done it before so the number of tutorials must be huge.

So yeah, I know there are some people like Devolution and Mr Big who design, is it possible to learn that stuff in a couple of months? I could potentially get a pretty awesome job out of it if I can learn the skills quick enough (and make nice with the right contacts) so im sure I would be determined as hell to do it, but is it feasable? I can do Flash pretty well but it doesnt look like those skills translate lol?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lyphen said:

Reach wasn't about Thom or the Insurrections though. It was about you, the new Noble 6, trying to fit into a team that was already established and had fought together, during the invasion of Reach.

Thom was used in the advertising of Reach - the live action movie where we seen how Kat lost her arm and Thom's sacrifice. That should have never been in the game itself but it was fantastic that they used that to both market the game and extend the fiction and backstory.

I agree about one thing. Bungie did a poor job of integrating Reach into the fiction that was already built up around that specific time period and some of the characters in the game.

That was Bungie's decision and they made it. I don't think the game suffered in any significant way because of those decisions but as a fan of the entire universe and as someone that has embraced this universe through various media, particularly the books, I thought it was rather poor form to create such blatant and glaringly obvious plot holes.

It's why I'm happy Bungie are creating a new universe - there's no extended fiction to worry about, and having 343 making efforts to make stronger ties between the extended fiction and future Halo games. It's win-win going forward.

bobs99 ... said:
So yeah, I know there are some people like Devolution and Mr Big who design, is it possible to learn that stuff in a couple of months? I could potentially get a pretty awesome job out of it if I can learn the skills quick enough (and make nice with the right contacts) so im sure I would be determined as hell to do it, but is it feasable? I can do Flash pretty well but it doesnt look like those skills translate lol?

You can learn that stuff in a couple of months as long as you really keep at it. I pretty much don't go to school to learn the programs after like the intro class, I go to school for the proper critique and a better portfolio. One thing that can't really be taught in a couple months is the "editing eye" or being able to really understand design philosophies. That's the part that can take years to develop, and is never "finished."

Just look up various tutorials for AE. I haven't done MAYA though.

I think as a designer what bothers me with Reach is certain elements lack a purpose. A good teacher when you're first designing will make you justify every single element, color, type, mood, grid, etc that you put into something. When I look at Reach I think "why was x put in here", for some things the only conclusion I can think of is "for the hell of it", and that's just bad design.

Karl2177

bobs99 ... said:
Im just curious, does anyone here have any experience of Maya? How hard would it be to create something simple like a Halo ring in it? Im determined to learn video editing, after effects and maya - and was thinking of trying to maybe make a Halo montage to learn the tools.

Seems like a really nice fit, special effects would fit nicely onto Halo footage. I have access to a pretty amazing (virtual) camera so wont need to fuss there, hell I could revisit scenes and take different camera angles of the same shot without the expense of setting up real camera :p and there are literally hundreds of people who have done it before so the number of tutorials must be huge.

I'm not sure how much different Maya is from 3dsMax, but it doesn't take too long. I got decent with 3dsMax in about a week, and designed a (crappy playing) H2:V map.

That reminds me on a little side project, I'd love to get into a sort of cinematography stuff with Halo. I got bored one day and wrote down every Halo map, something that they did well and other things like that. I'd love to do a little mini-documentary on the 108 maps that will be out with Anniversary. I do have Adobe Premiere experience and a small amount of After Effects experience. As much as I would love to do this, I don't have the time any more. :( *shakes fist at college*

Karl2177 said:
I'm not sure how much different Maya is from 3dsMax, but it doesn't take too long. I got decent with 3dsMax in about a week, and designed a (crappy playing) H2:V map.

That reminds me on a little side project, I'd love to get into a sort of cinematography stuff with Halo. I got bored one day and wrote down every Halo map, something that they did well and other things like that. I'd love to do a little mini-documentary on the 108 maps that will be out with Anniversary. I do have Adobe Premiere experience and a small amount of After Effects experience. As much as I would love to do this, I don't have the time any more. :( *shakes fist at college*

Yeah after tomorrow it's basically homework all day e'ry day for me.

Devolution said:
You can learn that stuff in a couple of months as long as you really keep at it. I pretty much don't go to school to learn the programs after like the intro class, I go to school for the proper critique and a better portfolio. One thing that can't really be taught in a couple months is the "editing eye" or being able to really understand design philosophies. That's the part that can take years to develop, and is never "finished."

I think as a designer what bothers me with Reach is certain elements lack a purpose. A good teacher when you're first designing will make you justify every single element, color, type, mood, grid, etc that you put into something. When I look at Reach I think "why was x put in here", for some things the only conclusion I can think of is "for the hell of it", and that's just bad design.

Do you have any 2d work to show?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dani said:
Reach wasn't about Thom or the Insurrections though. It was about you, the new Noble 6, trying to fit into a team that was already established and had fought together, during the invasion of Reach.

Thom was used in the advertising of Reach - the live action movie where we seen how Kat lost her arm and Thom's sacrifice. That should have never been in the game itself but it was fantastic that they used that to both market the game and extend the fiction and backstory.

I agree about one thing. Bungie did a poor job of integrating Reach into the fiction that was already built up around that specific time period and some of the characters in the game.

That was Bungie's decision and they made it. I don't think the game suffered in any significant way because of those decisions but as a fan of the entire universe and as someone that has embraced this universe through various media, particularly the books, I thought it was rather poor form to create such blatant and glaringly obvious plot holes.

It's why I'm happy Bungie are creating a new universe - there's no extended fiction to worry about, and having 343 making efforts to make stronger ties between the extended fiction and future Halo games. It's win-win going forward.
Given the small number of spoken lines, and how ambiguous Six is, I say Reach was more about the rest of Noble (Reach's marketing group is with me on this!). I still believe they could have fleshed them out much more easily with cheap shot exposition like Thom's story, more obvious or better written ways of showing Emile's distrust of humans/insurrectionist or whatever new junk they thought up about for Spartan 3 project.

I am also happy about Bungie being gone. I'm not...really anxious for their new stuff yet, because I never cared for Halo's story before FoR, and Bungie have never proven themselves to me that they're competent story tellers. But I have no doubts it'll be fun.

343 taking over, for me, is the best thing that could've happened to the franchise (and what I'm most looking forward to, out of the two companies). I'm really happy that we'll be seeing one group creating everything for the universe in-house.

Devolution said:

Yeah thats 100% going to be my problem, as much as technically it may be possible to pick it up I can already predict it being difficult to keep on track without that environment where I can work around other students who can bounce ideas off me and stuff. School was great for that, but now that im working in a certain field it is difficult to get the design skills to move sideways type thing. Luckily I work around editors and im sure a few will help me out here and there, but learning it is really a pet project and theres no way im going to get that school level of support.

For now thats why im sticking with a Halo Tage, itl be something fun and hopefully by the end of it I will be technically at a level where I have a (basic) ability to do whatever. Thanks though if you had said that AE technically can take 6 months just to nail down the basics I would have been screwed. :p

In a couple of months there will be a opening for me to maaaaaybe sneak onto the bottom rung of the ladder and take on some smaller projects, if I can work my way up through there I will be lucky as hell.

Thats pretty sweet, I would only use Maya at first on a very basic level - so if it took you just a week to get a multiplayer map space running then im sure it will take me no time at all to use it to just create some basic stuff to composite over After Effects.

I doubt it will look any good, and I probably wont have as much time as I would need, but im hoping that if I can grasp the basics people will be willing to throw me a bone. :p

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah thats 100% going to be my problem, as much as technically it may be possible to pick it up I can already predict it being difficult to keep on track without that environment where I can work around other students who can bounce ideas off me and stuff. School was great for that, but now that im working in a certain field it is difficult to get the design skills to move sideways type thing. Luckily I work around editors and im sure a few will help me out here and there, but learning it is really a pet project and theres no way im going to get that school level of support.

For now thats why im sticking with a Halo Tage, itl be something fun and hopefully by the end of it I will be technically at a level where I have a (basic) ability to do whatever. Thanks though if you had said that AE technically can take 6 months just to nail down the basics I would have been screwed. :p

In a couple of months there will be a opening for me to maaaaaybe sneak onto the bottom rung of the ladder and take on some smaller projects, if I can work my way up through there I will be lucky as hell.

Best thing to do would be to post it around places and get critique. You don't have to follow everyone's advice but even bad advice will be of assistance, because you know you won't want to go in that direction.

Sean P.

Devolution said:
Best thing to do would be to post it around places and get critique. You don't have to follow everyone's advice but even bad advice will be of assistance, because you know you won't want to go in that direction.

Also disagreeing with others opinions and being able to reinforce to them why will help strengthen your own design philosophy and put reasoning behind your work.

TheOddOne

Gui_PT said:
Eclipse Next: Nova (494 of 2500000)
Feels good bro :p

On another unrelated note: connection error doesn't mean I quite the game. Thanks whoever thought it was ok to punish people for that.

Deputy Moonman said:
Ouch. This is another reason why I don't like credit based ranking. So painful... I'm a brig grade 1. Not even gonna worry about ranks at this point lol.

And much of GAF plays a lot. Most people I imagine won't even get within a few ranks of Inheritor when 4 is released unless credit gains are upped along with challenges.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I remember Turbosquid having some good tutorials when I was doing a graphic design course in college. You might want to look into that, bobs. They also had models to download so you can fiddle around with structure.

Granted, this was a couple years ago so there are probably better resources out there.

Speaking of! Any good, easy and concise resources for Forge? I guess I'm a masochist, so I finished up the layout for my Tempest beach objective map, but I have no idea how to set up spawns and uh, the objectives (flag/bomb) themselves.

Devolution said:

Sean P. said:
Also disagreeing with others opinions and being able to reinforce to them why will help strengthen your own design philosophy and put reasoning behind your work.

I appreciate the advice! Im certainly going to try and see what I can gather from the various video editing communities, I can already see some of those forums being extremely helpful in just learning the creation side. Which is great. If its cool I may drop a pm to you guys with various bits and bobs?

I think im lucky that I wont need to worry about the design side as much by using Halo footage, im really thinking of ways to make interesting transitions, rather than create something from scratch which helps loads.

Ouch. This is another reason why I don't like credit based ranking. So painful... I'm a brig grade 1. Not even gonna worry about ranks at this point lol.

Yeah its insane how many credits there are between ranks. The odd thing is except for weeklys my credit earning seems to have dropped. Dailies dont seem to be worth as much as they where a couple of months ago and even my game complete bonuses dont seem as high. Odd.

Lyphen said:
I remember Turbosquid having some good tutorials when I was doing a graphic design course in college. You might want to look into that, bobs. They also had models to download so you can fiddle around with structure.

Granted, this was a couple years ago so there are probably better resources out there.

Thanks man! Ill check it out, I think im going to avoid going too heavily into the 3d side this time round and just stick to making like a basic Halo shape lol.

Devolution said:
And much of GAF plays a lot. Most people I imagine won't even get within a few ranks of Inheritor when 4 is released unless credit gains are upped along with challenges.
I was thinking that the time it takes between ranks should be close to even, with players simply getting more credits per game the higher the rank, whatever ratio/proportion of credits are needed to make it that way. I also don't like unlocking a piece of armor only to see that you have to wait until your next rank. Not the greatest idea imo. It takes so long to rank up that the excitement in finally being able to use some new piece of armor is gone by the time you can use it.

Top Bottom