• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Deputy Moonman said:
Ouch. This is another reason why I don't like credit based ranking. So painful... I'm a brig grade 1. Not even gonna worry about ranks at this point lol.
Yup, that's when I stopped caring about rank, too. It just goes too slow to care.

Speaking of ranks, me and Senador (GGs!) went up against a douche bag with the Haunted skull earlier today. I looked it up, and apparently the only way to get it is to be an Inheritor? Is that true?

TheOddOne

Deputy Moonman said:
I was thinking that the time it takes between ranks should be close to even, with players simply getting more credits per game the higher the rank, whatever ratio/proportion of credits are needed to make it that way. I also don't like unlocking a piece of armor only to see that you have to wait until your next rank. Not the greatest idea imo. It takes so long to rank up that the excitement in finally being able to use some new piece of armor is gone by the time you can use it.
I support this hard.

Deputy Moonman said:
I was thinking that the time it takes between ranks should be close to even, with players simply getting more credits per game the higher the rank, whatever ratio/proportion of credits are needed to make it that way. I also don't like unlocking a piece of armor only to see that you have to wait until your next rank. Not the greatest idea imo. It takes so long to rank up that the excitement in finally being able to use some new piece of armor is gone by the time you can use it.

Yeah, I agree. Also maybe it's just me but stuff just started looking alike anyway getting up in ranks. I hope h4 has a system in which the armor actually looks quite basic and drab, then as you rank up it gets more complicated and cool.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
So yeah, I know there are some people like Devolution and Mr Big who design, is it possible to learn that stuff in a couple of months? I could potentially get a pretty awesome job out of it if I can learn the skills quick enough (and make nice with the right contacts) so im sure I would be determined as hell to do it, but is it feasable? I can do Flash pretty well but it doesnt look like those skills translate lol?
The biggest part of learning any sort of things like that is getting the interface down. I have never taken any 3D classes or read many tutorials on 3DS Max but I can do enough with the program from just knowing where most of the tools are. For the halo ring, how far you want to take it is up to you. If you just want to make a ring in its basic shape and paint a texture for it like it's done in the (earlier) games, that'll be really easy, but then if you really want to learn how to use it you can look into high poly modeling and make the surfaces in 3D.

The best thing you can do is take a class or, barring that, have someone you can talk to through IRC or whatever client at any time, like I have done.

I recommend learning 3DS Max over Maya unless there is a specific reason you want to work with Maya. Just keep experimenting, you'll always run into inexplicable problems that pop up for no known reason like what happened to me today . Getting a tablet and learning zBrush would also be very helpful in this scenario.

Join Polycount and Conceptart.org and post everything you work on

Ramirez

omg.kittens said:
Yup, that's when I stopped caring about rank, too. It just goes too slow to care.

Speaking of ranks, me and Senador (GGs!) went up against a douche bag with the Haunted skull earlier today. I looked it up, and apparently the only way to get it is to be an Inheritor? Is that true?

Why you calling HiredN00bs a dbag?

Karl2177

Deputy Moonman said:
I had the opposite effect. I knew Security was coming up, so I played more to get it. I think the system could have been a bit more refined on its progression.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys since Title Updates usually hit on Tuesdays (never noticed that trend until now actually) what do you guys think will be the release date for the TU?

Tomorrow (lol)
13th
20th
27th

my bet is on the 27th

Ken

Karl2177 said:
I had the opposite effect. I knew Security was coming up, so I played more to get it. I think the system could have been a bit more refined on its progression.

I now have no armory items that I want coming up, and so I play less.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
Why you calling HiredN00bs a dbag?
Oh shit, I knew that name sounded familiar!
Naw, it was someone else.

OH YEAH, but that reminds me. A few weeks back, I got randomly matched with N00bs and Stephen(08?). Stephen spent the last half of the match griefing some poor kid. The kid had a mic and I could hear him begging Stephan to stop, haha. Stephan eventually betrayed him, and the kid asked me if he should boot him. Naturally, I said yes and giggled with glee.

So much for Halo honor.

omg.kittens said:

OH YEAH, but that reminds me. A few weeks back, I got randomly matched with N00bs and Stephen(08?). Stephen spent the last half of the match griefing some poor kid. The kid had a mic and I could hear him begging Stephan to stop, haha. Stephan eventually betrayed him, and the kid asked me if he should boot him. Naturally, I said yes and giggled with glee.

So much for Halo honor.

In Case Link is Asked For

cory021

Neo Member
wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys since Title Updates usually hit on Tuesdays (never noticed that trend until now actually) what do you guys think will be the release date for the TU?

Tomorrow (lol)
13th
20th
27th

my bet is on the 27th
I would go with the 13th, just because that's the day before Reach's one year anniversary.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Will we actually get access to anything included in the TU before the beta hoppers come out?
If Frankie or David upload any gametypes. Other than that no so thats why I am thinking the 27th, that way the beta hoppers will launch soon after.

Ramirez

omg.kittens said:

So much for Halo honor.

LOL

bananas

Banned
Hey HaloGAF, I've posted in here once or twice before, but never really participated. None of my friends ever want to play Halo, and I'm tired of playing with random strangers, so...

My gamertag is peaseybananas if anyone is interested. :)

omg.kittens said:

So much for Halo honor.
lol

Stephen deserves to be booted, every time.

(As for your friend, he wouldn't have heard him, because we are almost always run an XBL party...you get used to that better codec and it's hard to go back).

I won't betray people unless they initiate the douchebaggery. Douchebaggery includes betraying, friendly fire, objective avoidance, etc. I also take care in betraying so as to not get booted. I also wasn't an Inheritor yet on August 9th. I also don't wear the Haunted Helmet.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bought a new desk today and changed my setup.

6sA4a.jpg

MrBig

I couldn't do without a high-backed chair

I'd get some bias lighting if you haven't already. All you need is a strip of LEDs in plastic from Autozone, a switch, 12v power supply, and soldering experience. Helps me out immensely when playing/using my computer at night.

MrBig

Ramirez said:
For surfin the net, yea. Real mean lean forward in their chair when gaming though.
Depends on the game. If I'm playing an MP game like Halo I'll roll my chair over in front of my couch and do that, but for games like deus ex it's nice to lean back into my couch.

Ramirez said:
For surfin the net, yea. Real mean lean forward in their chair when gaming though.

Agreed, Adjust Headset, Lean Forward, Get DONG ON!

Holy Poop im no longer a Junior, rolling with the big dawgs aww yeah

wwm0nkey

Did a bit more searching on the whole Title Update release date thing, Tuesday does seem like the day Title Updates hit.

So one of the dates I posted pretty much will be the date for the TU.

Just got myself the Reach API key! I'm currently discussing the idea of my final year project with a lecturer who may be interested in supervising the project which, as some of you may know, will hopefully be a sort of 2D Halo game (profitless of course). The lecturer liked my plan to use the API to influence my game so hopefully this idea will be finalised in the coming few days and in a few months, I should have a game for you all to complain about that isn't Reach :p

kylej

Banned
omg.kittens said:

So much for Halo honor.

No, don't boot him. Once Stephen tires of griefing, ask his buddy Noobs how to scam retail stores. It's not every day you get the opportunity to talk to genuine Halo Community Veterans.

Ramirez said:
It'll be the 27th, no way they do it on the release day of Gears 3.

27th is the most likely day in my opinion, but I doubt the release of Gears is affect the date at all. It's a title update to a year old game, and until beta hoppers come out, we likely won't be able to even experience any of the new features.

Someone the other day posted a Tempest map called 'Vapor'. I just checked it out. That is the greatest looking forged map I've ever seen and its not even close.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
27th is the most likely day in my opinion, but I doubt the release of Gears is affect the date at all. It's a title update to a year old game, and until beta hoppers come out, we likely won't be able to even experience any of the new features.

Someone the other day posted a Tempest map called 'Vapor'. I just checked it out. That is the greatest looking forged map I've ever seen and its not even close.
pictures of the map please?

kylej said:
No, don't boot him. Once Stephen tires of griefing, ask his buddy Noobs how to scam retail stores. It's not every day you get the opportunity to talk to genuine Halo Community Veterans.
Shut up.

Karl2177 said:
In some cases, I can see how this would be true. The main piece of armor I really worked for was the gold tinted visor. And I kind of wish there were more tints available. They needed a red, purple, pink, white, orange, and green tints as well. Once you get used to seeing all the different armor variations, the only interesting thing to note on other people is which visor color they went with, at least for me anyway.

But if you had a choice, which would you choose? I just don't like waiting a whole rank to have armor show up that requires another additional rank to use. I'd prefer not to see armor if it's not usable. It's really not that big of a deal to me to be honest. The length of time it takes to rank up is more aggravating than having to wait on armor pieces, but I know what I would choose if given a choice.

Booshka

Anyone wanna play? I'm cool with playing Firefight or Competitive, just don't feel like playing solo.

GT is Booshka if you wanna play.

Booshka said:
Anyone wanna play? I'm cool with playing Firefight or Competitive, just don't feel like playing solo.

GT is Booshka if you wanna play.
now i'm mad. i've got a bunch of stuff i have to go do right now or I'd jump on. i have the worst luck, lol. next time?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I made this because I am truly excited at the prospect of Halo on a mobile platform in the future. I understand it will most likely be Winmo, but if the technology is something like Tegra 3, then it will be amazing.

http://youtu.be/Sv8nEeUPhm8

Also, I still haven't seen an answer for the recipe to the guilty spark drink that was served at the VIP party during Halo Fest :(

Sampler II

Neo Member
bananas said:
Hey HaloGAF, I've posted in here once or twice before, but never really participated. None of my friends ever want to play Halo, and I'm tired of playing with random strangers, so...

My gamertag is peaseybananas if anyone is interested. :)
Sure, I'll join you

godhandiscen said:
I made this because I am truly excited at the prospect of Halo on a mobile platform in the future. I understand it will most likely be Winmo, but if the technology is something like Tegra 3, then it will be amazing.

http://youtu.be/Sv8nEeUPhm8

Also, I still haven't seen an answer for the recipe to the guilty spark drink that was served at the VIP party during Halo Fest :(

I saw that then saw it was 9 bucks so just used Ramirez's free drink coupon lol. Was it pretty good?

Top Bottom