• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Karl2177 said:
I started off writing this to answer your question, but I ended up writing a novel of cool things that I think Reach missed the mark on.

If I had a choice in making the game, I would have them all available to a Recruit. Then once the player has earned enough credits to buy their preferred armor, they can buy it. I would also make the armors cost a bit more then, so people can continue purchasing into the latter ranks. As for other stuff, I think certain armors should have been unlocked with achievements, similar to how they were in Halo 3. The CQB helmet, Military Police helmet, and Security chest were cool ideas that screwed offline players. Why not give them a chance to earn other cool helmets without taking them 9 years to level up? There should have been a broader range in the way the player invests themselves in a character.
That's a good idea. And I agree with you on the bolded part. Not everyone is interested in Matchmaking, which automatically puts them at a disadvantage to unlocking armor. Tying unlocks to achievements would circumvent the problem.
Karl2177 said:
I would love to have scenarios where the Covenant have a fortified structure, and my goal is to get in and plant a bomb or steal a data core. I think Invasion was an attempt at this, but players have a certain psychology that makes them resort to douchey tactics.

Invasion is a cool idea, but I would have expanded it further. I don't always want to play 6v6 for Invasion. I'd love to do a full scale Invasion styled gametype without certain gametype attributes of Invasion. I really want an 8v8, 2 player fire team, 3-4 phase gametype. Per phase there are multiple goals, so it really relies on how the fire teams perform within the team and throughout the fire teams. Maybe I have rose-tinted glasses on for how the beta was, but I remember the beta version of Invasion being better than the shipped version.
As interesting as FF and Invasion are in Reach, I'm still of the mindset that the time that goes into perfecting them would be better spent in focusing on the campaign and traditional matchmaking. But that's more of a personal preference than anything. I will say that I'm not a huge fan of Firefight's static nature, which makes the idea of objectives in FF appealing.
Karl2177 said:
As for multiplayer, I have a whole range of thoughts on this, but it really boils down to: How does the player want to play? Is the player going for competition or playing for the hell of it? I'd love to see all of the maps from Halo 1, 2, and 3 in Reach. I love Relic and would love to see it play with Reach's settings. If it butchers the map, then I should be able to tweak the gametype and map settings to make it play the way I want it to play. I would love to see Boarding Action with a Jetpack. I think it could add a new, fun twist to the way it plays.[/INDENT]

Wow. That was a lot. There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but I'll just have to post those anther day.
Making FORGE more customizable would be great. I think everyone is hoping for that in Halo4. I'm really not sure where I stand in regard to armor abilities. While they can be interesting and a change to the norm, I'm partial to special items being "pick-up" only, and not as multiple loadout options.

PNut said:
Hands down the worst playlist in Reach. I'd play Living Dead before BTB.

Speaking of Living Dead, why in the hell is the the most played in Matchmaking? I honestly don't understand it's wide appeal.

Havok

-Yeti said:
Speaking of Living Dead, why in the hell is the the most played in Matchmaking? I honestly don't understand it's wide appeal.
Easy to rack up kills, kids love zombies, no skill required to feel good. Instant classic.

I just described Call of Duty. Sheeeeit.

thezerofire said:
I remember when we used to have actually competitive games.
We beat one of those teams 75 to 13. If that's not competitive, then I don't know what is.

Ken

Havok said:
Easy to rack up kills, kids love zombies, no skill required to feel good. Instant classic.

I just described Call of Duty. Fuck.

I wonder if the population count in Living Dead would be as high if CoD Zombies had matchmaking.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devolution said:
Some of us like it rough.

mcmhA.gif

Ken

Hey You said:
It does...

Oh, really? Ever since launch? Never noticed. Then again I only played Zombies a whole two times.

Edit: Googling "black ops zombie matchmaking" seems to bring up a ton of results about how terrible the matchmaking for it is.

Sai-kun

Banned
Fun games tonight, guys. I can't wait until chaos nul gets his account approved so he can fucking harass me here too AND in game :lol

senador said:
Sorry I killed you and messed up your stepped in front of your lined up snipe shot. :(

:lol it's okay, I wasn't upset! I've just been teamkilling too much with the sniper when someone accidentally walks in front of me anyways ;)

senador

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Fun games tonight, guys. I can't wait until chaos nul gets his account approved so he can fucking harass me here too AND in game :lol

Sorry I killed you and messed up your stepped in front of your lined up snipe shot. :(

Tunavi said:
No.
look at the rejections
Where do you see rejections and what are they? The first thing I notice are his armor locking and beat down medals. ugh. Guy has more needler kills than headshots. Reach was made for this guy. He's a grenade spamming assault rifle whore who depends on armor lock. Guy has about as much talent as Richard Simmons in a bird suit.

Ken

Deputy Moonman said:
Where do you see rejections and what are they? The first thing I notice are his armor locking and beat down medals. ugh. Guy has more needler kills than headshots. Reach was made for this guy. He's a grenade spamming assault rifle whore who depends on armor lock. Guy has about as much talent as Richard Simmons in a bird suit.

Rejection is the "Armor Lock medal."

Striker said:
It still frustrates me how flag/bomb contesting, a visual indicator on the flag/bomb, and sudden death in Halo 3 and Reach have been poorly designed and implemented. It's something like that which can help make or break flag and assault games.

I s'pose it was just a curve where Bungie wanted to go more for a slayer based Halo than one that's defined for everything else.

Doesn't really make any sense.

They got it perfect in Halo 2, then Halo 3 and Reach came out and it's like they forgot they even made Halo 2.

Blows my goddam mind.

Plywood said:
Seriously, thanks Barrow Bro.
Don't mention it. And your birthday feast looks delicious. I wish I had pudding and mac n cheese right now.

Devolution said:
Is Xenolock old enough to drink now?
I think so. If not then he can come to Canada and join me for a tall frosty bag of milk.

Deputy Moonman said:
That's probably a bit extreme. Nothing good could have come from him sticking around if he truly was that burnt out.

Btw, how many creative directors are working on Halo4?
lol. You know it was just ironic?

feel

Don't know much about Ryan's past, so I'll just say from what I got in the article, that I'm happy that at 343i the leads don't get to do whatever the fuck changes they want to Halo while the other employees just stand by.

feliz cumple amiguito boricua

Hypertrooper said:
lol. You know it was just ironic?
I've never kept up with Bungie's/343i's employee history like you guys have. So I admit you would know more about this stuff than me. When it comes to Halo developers, I only know a few names, and most of those are the ones that frequent Gaf.

I'm assuming when you say ironic, you're just implying that the timing is pretty questionable given what we know? But like Letters said, it could be a good thing just as easily as it could be a bad thing. I'm not the biggest fan of Reach. So if he was a big part of the changes with Reach, I might actually be happy that he is leaving. No offense to him or anything. I'm more of a fan of traditional halo and it sounded like he had a whole bunch of stuff he wanted to try with Halo4. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully I didn't misinterpret what you were saying.

Deputy Moonman said:
I've never kept up with Bungie's/343i's employee history like you guys have. So I admit you would know more about this stuff than me. When it comes to Halo developers, I only know a few names, and most of those are the ones that frequent Gaf.

I'm assuming when you say ironic, you're just implying that the timing is pretty questionable given what we know? But like Letters said, it could be a good thing just as easily as it could be a bad thing. I'm not the biggest fan of Reach. So if he was a big part of the changes with Reach, I might actually be happy that he is leaving. No offense to him or anything. I'm more of a fan of traditional halo and it sounded like he had a whole bunch of stuff he wanted to try with Halo4. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully I didn't misinterpret what you were saying.
I just meant the RIP Halo stuff.

"The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through."
That's pretty crazy. While changes can be a good thing, it sounds as if he wanted to really overhaul the game. We're also roughly a year away from its release, though. So I would think (or I'm assuming) that much of the core of Halo4 (storyline, features, gameplay, etc) have already been decided. So whether he leaves now or not, his contributions to the game will be part of it.
Zeouterlimits said:
Wasn't Thermite being sarcastic?
Hypertrooper said:
I just meant the RIP Halo stuff.
whoops! sorry

Top Bottom