• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hypertrooper said:
His birthday is today?

Happy Birthday Plywood! Enjoy your nuggets!
Haha, thank you. Not my pic btw, just thought it was hilariously apt.
Devolution said:
Is Xenolock old enough to drink now?
Yes, but I am not a drinker. >:eek:

Sorry beerGAF.
Barrow Roll said:
Don't mention it. And your birthday feast looks delicious. I wish I had pudding and mac n cheese right now.

I think so. If not then he can come to Canada and join me for a tall frosty bag of milk.
Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you? I wonder if the bagginess makes the milk taste different.

Oh, happy birthday Plywood!

Coming home between classes for lunch and getting a one or two firefight games in is great, helps bang those challenges out.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
So do I since I don't live in the ridiculous part of the country that sells that shit.
Don't deny your countries heritage.

Thanks again everyone.

@Robbertster, My bones are old and crinkly and grey hairs are starting to settle in. I fear I won't make it in the long winter.

Plywood said:
Don't deny your countries heritage.

Thanks again everyone.

@Robbertster, My bones are old and crinkly and grey hairs are starting to settle in. I fear I won't make it in the long winter.

My condolences.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
5xoQ3.png

Flag warrior medal. It's one thing to cap a flag, but flag warriors like Dani and Sai get the damn thing out of bases.

I'm merely a padawn next to Ghaleon and Frankie in this art.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Happy Birthday Plywood!

Best of luck to Ryan Payton. I'm sure his vision of Halo was much more Japanese ;] Halo Gear Solid?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dax01 said:
That was pretty quick. Especially part about him wanting to build a "fundamentally different Halo."
Yeah, he's right about him not having the credibility to pull it off. I wouldn't put my franchise in the hands of a guy who isn't excited about it, and whose previous experience in the business was so thin.

It sounds harsh, but look at Civilization 5. Fresh face, new ideas and an established franchise don't go hand in hand very easily.

Dax01 said:
That was pretty quick. Especially part about him wanting to build a "fundamentally different Halo."
I was very excited for kind of a different Halo.. but heard recently the project changed when Josh took (however long ago that was).

Really hope the chance for new play experiences is not wasted.... *is worried he is going to be disappointed by Halo 4 playing it too safe*

TheOddOne

Really bummed to see Ryan go, best of luck with your new studio though :)

On another note: Happy birthday Plywood, start reading more books.

Tawpgun

Sad to see him go, but it seems like he wanted a bit too much of a departure from standard Halo.... good for most of us that he left then :p

Still, I hope he finds success in his new studio.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Guess that rumour about a "big name" leaving 343, from a few months back, was true then. Ah well, looks like the guy just wanted a new direction in life after a bout of illness. Hope he finds success.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Sad to see him go, but it seems like he wanted a bit too much of a departure from standard Halo.... good for most of us that he left then :p

Still, I hope he finds success in his new studio.
Same. I tossed in my $0.02 over in the thread. He's one person of over 200 on the project, so I'm not worried about where it's heading. It will probably work out for the best of both. I do hope Halo 4 is turning out, the team has a tough first project.

neoism

Domino Theory said:
TU - Late September
Beta Hoppers - October

So technically, yeah, we won't be able to mess with the TU changes until October.
why release the TU before then :/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
neoism said:

To tease the shit out of us and laugh at the hundreds of posts in the Waypoint forums asking where the changes are after the kids download the TU.

I think they are just being cautious with the roll out to make sure it goes as smooth as possible.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
neoism said:
4GB Arcade Firefight, and probably some backend changes for Waypoint integration and File Share. Sounds like they hadn't finalized that.

TheOddOne

I eco the statement that Ryan should do whats best for him.

I kind of get it that the new trilogy does not need to stray to far from the core concept of Halo. I do hope though, that 343 Industries does look into making stuff like ODST and REACH -- after maby Halo 4/5 ship. Keep the mainline stuff normal, but go all out on side-projects. The universe of Halo is huge and constantly expanding with the books, so there is enough stuff to pick from.

Happy Bday plywood!

Also, just passed all my final exams so I will be going to uni next month and getting a 26'' 3D TV for my first Halo CE playthrough.

fuckyeah.jpg

PooBone

Tashi0106 said:
Happy Birthday Plywood!

Best of luck to Ryan Payton. I'm sure his vision of Halo was much more Japanese ;] Halo Gear Solid?

I'd bet money he'd have made the game third person. A million dollars I would bet on it.

EDIT: Does the fact that Kenneth Scott, art director for Halo 4, was previously an artist/director of id software concern anyone else? In my opinion id's artstyle is some of the most generic in the biz. Of course, judging from that concept art teaser, I have no doubt Halo 4 will look nothing like Rage. But if you look at his website the only thing in his gallery is character models and sketches of the regular old monsters we've come to expect from a game like Doom or Quake.

Karl2177

Happy birthday Plywood!

I have a new found appreciation for ODST now. I don't know what caused it, but I really like the story now. Maybe the same thing will happen for Reach in a year...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I seriously doubt Ryan was pushing a 3rd person Halo. That's like changing Metal Gear from a stealth game to a full out action game. Oh wait :p

TheOddOne

PooBone said:
EDIT: Does the fact that Kenneth Scott, art director for Halo 4, was previously an artist/director of id software concern anyone else? In my opinion id's artstyle is some of the most generic in the biz. Of course, judging from that concept art teaser, I have no doubt Halo 4 will look nothing like Rage. But if you look at his website the only thing in his gallery is character models and sketches of the regular old monsters we've come to expect from a game like Doom or Quake.
A little, but then I saw artwork trailers and am less concerced now.

neoism said:
Well they could always update a gametype to Waypoint's fileshare.

Or they could directly send HaloGAF a download link so we can play bloomless customs till our hands bleed

Also, when did Halo turned into a game of " who can throw more nades without even firing your weapon"?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
After playing Halo 3 the other night, I'd do terrible things to play bloomless in Reach right now. It won't make many of Reach's other issues disappear but it would certainly make me forget them for a time.

TheOddOne

PooBone said:
Yeah. I think most of my concern is for the enemy design. Environment style is looking God-like.
Now you got me thinking, yeah kind of corcerned now :|

They have hired some talented artist though, so I hope we get awesome enemy designs.

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:
Why? Why does it matte? There's not going the bloom reduction the majority of playlists. You can still play vanilla Reach.

Oh, I'll play it just as much as before. But Headlong customs won't be giving me as much credits as matchmaking.

PooBone

TheOddOne said:
Now you got me thinking, yeah kind of corcerned now :|

They have hired some talented artist though, so I hope we get awesome enemy designs.
Main thing I wanna know about 343's staff is who is composing the music for Halo 4. I am betting against odds that it's Jack Wall, especially after hearing the music in that concept art trailer.

Striker

Lead Based Paint said:
Doesn't really make any sense.

They got it perfect in Halo 2, then Halo 3 and Reach came out and it's like they forgot they even made Halo 2.

Blows my goddam mind.
Hopefully 343 realizes these minor details that can lead to stronger strategy to the game. Definitely makes flag and assault so much more enjoyable. Partly (maps is the other) why Team Skirmish/Objective has played like balls compared to Team Skirmish in Halo 2 since.

FyreWulff

Karl2177 said:
They will probably still have vanilla Reach in Matchmaking.

Considering the chance of actually getting Headlong outside of the possible Classic playlists where the Remake DLC Pack will more than like be required, I think I'd rather just play Headlong whenever I want to. In customs.

TheOddOne

PooBone said:
Main thing I wanna know about 343's staff is who is composing the music for Halo 4. I am betting against odds that it's Jack Wall, especially after hearing the music in that concept art trailer.
I thought its was well know that Sotaro Tojima (of Metal Gear Solid fame) was doing the music, he was even on the Halo 4 panel during Halofest. Or am I wrong?

Tunavi

Banned
Gabotron ES said:
Also, when did Halo turned into a game of " who can throw more nades without even firing your weapon"?
Setember 14th, 2010.
Dani said:
After playing Halo 3 the other night, I'd do terrible things to play bloomless in Reach right now. It won't make many of Reach's other issues disappear but it would certainly make me forget them for a time.
I'm sooooo ready for that bloomless DMR

PooBone

TheOddOne said:
I thought its was well know that Sotaro Tojima (of Metal Gear Solid fame) was doing the music, he was even on the Halo 4 panel during Halofest. Or am I wrong?
He's doing the audio direction, sound effects, mixing, etc. That has been known for a while, but audio director and composer are two radically different things.

Top Bottom