• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tha Robbertster said:
I don't really agree with the people who are saying it isn't a big concern that BF3's campaign ''is bad''. Some people actually play these games for their campaign, although the number is very low. Same with MW3, the vast majority of people buy it for the multiplayer but some people really enjoy it's campaign.

Being a multiplayer game shouldn't be a free pass to have a bad/medicore campaign. If a developer decides to ad a campaign to their game, it should be one of their concerns to make it a good experience.

Haven't been reading that the BF3 campaign "is bad" by any means. In fact, most of what I've read is that it's very fun and has some great moments, but that it's not exactly reinventing the wheel when it comes to military shooter campaigns. People are really blowing this out of proportion. Obviously the campaign is going to be shadowed by the game's staggering multiplayer.

Hell, Battlefield games didn't even have campaign's until the Bad Company games (including the recent 1943 game).

lybertyboy said:
Did you watch all the cut scenes from Pillar of Autumn?

Keyes still has a pipe.

In an effort to not be the most off-topic poster of all time, and because I want to know, are we going to get some MP gameplay directly from the source before CEA drops (aka like the Damnation waypoint game(s), but on the other maps)?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Steelyuhas said:
In an effort to not be the most off-topic poster of all time, and because I want to know, are we going to get some MP gameplay directly from the source before CEA drops (aka like the Damnation waypoint game(s), but on the other maps)?

Coordinating time and folks to capture those matches takes a surprising amount of time, but I'll see what I can do.

No promises.

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
Its only fair to the people buying the game that the review is with the day 1 patch...
They have the ability to get the patch to reviewers prerelease. It is not a difficult process, and is pretty common. That's a terrible, shitty excuse that they desperately want people to eat up.

(Also, if part of your game is shit, I shouldn't have to pay for it to get at the part that's good. If buying Battlefield for the campaign is doing it wrong, then they should either make it something that isn't a bad product or not force it down people's throats by including it in the price tag.)

Steelyuhas said:
Haven't been reading that the BF3 campaign "is bad" by any means. In fact, most of what I've read is that it's very fun and has some great moments, but that it's not exactly reinventing the wheel when it comes to military shooter campaigns. People are really blowing this out of proportion. Obviously the campaign is going to be shadowed by the game's staggering multiplayer.

Hell, Battlefield games didn't even have campaign's until the Bad Company games (including the recent 1943 game).

Yeah, that's why used ''bad''. But if it was bad, I still find it no excuse to say that mainly is a multiplayer experience.

But we'll see. When I get the game, campaign will be the first thing I'm going to play.

Does anyone else always first play the campaign first with a new game?

Havok said:
They have the ability to get the patch to reviewers prerelease. It is not a difficult process, and is pretty common. That's a terrible, shitty excuse that they desperately want people to eat up.

(Also, if part of your game is shit, I shouldn't have to pay for it to get at the part that's good. If buying Battlefield for the campaign is doing it wrong, then they should either make it something that isn't a bad product or not force it down people's throats by including it.)

but... this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

kylej

Banned
thezerofire said:
Apparently they don't know how to spell "canon?"

After the stories they've put out over the past decade, does it really surprise you that Bungie doesn't know how to write?

feel

So I read some preview saying that the CEA campaign has framerate issues and that it throws off the whole feel of the game. My question is, do both visual modes run at the same framerate? I will only care to do one or two playthroughs with the new visuals, and then I'll just stick to the much superior original ones. If Classic mode has framerate issues and doesn't feel right, it's HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING that I'll have to stick to the 4:3 emulated version for my annual playthrough.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
So I read some preview saying that the CEA campaign has framerate issues and that it throws off the whole feel of the game. My question is, do both visual modes run at the same framerate? I will only care to do one or two playthroughs with the new visuals, and then I'll just stick to the much superior original ones. If Classic mode has framerate issues and doesn't feel right, it's HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING that I'll have to stick to the 4:3 emulated version for my annual playthrough.

David Ellis was strongly refuting some of those complaints earlier. He outright stated that CEA's framerate is (should be) better than the original.

*If my paraphrasing is wrong, correct me.

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live said:
David Ellis was strongly refuting some of those complaints earlier. He outright stated that CEA's framerate is better than the original.

Hell even the author of the OXM piece said that the build they played probably wasn't the the review build. So at this point we will have to wait and see.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
Hell even the author of the OXM piece said that the build they played probably wasn't the the review build. So at this point we will have to wait and see.

There are three sources that I trust. Edge. Friends. Myself.

Everything else I take with a pinch of salt. And vinegar. And chips. And battered fish.

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live said:

Everything else I take with a pinch of salt. And vinegar. And chips. And battered fish.

See I trust even fewer. I trust me, myself, and I when it comes to my games. I've seen people bitch about framerate issues at times in games that I honestly don't experience. Reach is a prime example. I'm not going to lie and say that there isn't slowdown but some swear that it gets into the single digits at times and have it at places in gameplay I don't. I think the first is hyperbole and the second is play style differences. Maybe they like to get deep into the middle of the action with tons of shit going on all around there where as I'm more a clean them up as I go and don't leave any behind kind of guy.

Slightly Live said:

Kotaku > Edge.

I'll take articles based on hunches and sketchy insider sources over those so-called "facts" and "press releases" any day of the week.

feel

Slightly Live said:
David Ellis was strongly refuting some of those complaints earlier. He outright stated that CEA's framerate is better than the original.

Good to know. Was he saying the complainers were in the wrong or did he acknowledge that there were issues in that build that will not be present in final?

Me and Zalinkrow just watched the HaloGaf montage on Waypoint on the 360. All that nostalgia! Shame I never submitted a clip. The colour in Halo 3 was so striking and the multikills were a lot more plentiful it seemed.

heckfu

Banned
Sai-kun said:
People literally still literally ask if people literally still play Halo?

literally
Oh my god I know you just use that word to piss me off.

Georgebushmissionaccomplishedbanner.gif

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
Coordinating time and folks to capture those matches takes a surprising amount of time, but I'll see what I can do.

No promises.
Dudebro, just send me a disc and I'll get some nasty blain highlights to you asap. I'm like the best player on my street.

Hydranockz said:
Me and Zalinkrow just watched the HaloGaf montage on Waypoint on the 360. All that nostalgia! Shame I never submitted a clip. The colour in Halo 3 was so striking and the multikills were a lot more plentiful it seemed.
Yeah in Halo 3 Overkills and above were rare. In Reach Triple Kills and above are rare.

thezerofire said:
Yeah in Halo 3 Overkills and above were rare. In Reach Triple Kills and above are rare.
Exactly!

Halo 3 and The Pit are the pinnacle points for Halo multiplayer in my eyes. It just has this feel of Spartans in a training exercise and to me, it's what the multiplayer should feel like. I always liked the atmosphere from the old Foundry and Sandbox maps where it just felt like you were dropped in there for the purposes of fighting other Spartans. Powerhouse kind of retains this but the overall experience of playing on Campaign maps is slightly jarring.

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
Kotaku > Edge.

I'll take articles based on hunches and sketchy insider sources over those so-called "facts" and "press releases" any day of the week.
I don't trust Edge, but you really consider Kotaku to be reputable?

I have no idea how I'm going to fit CEA/new maps into everything with all my schoolwork, skyrim, and BF3. this year is crazy
The Real Napsta said:
Skip BF3. Game looks mediocre.
Cool troll. I play what I enjoy.

MrBig said:
I don't trust Edge, but you really consider Kotaku to be reputable?

I have no idea how I'm going to fit CEA/new maps into everything with all my schoolwork, skyrim, and BF3. this year is crazy

Skip BF3. Game looks mediocre.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
I always liked the atmosphere from the old Foundry

Yeah, the atmosphere of an abandoned industrial factory. All those murky atmospheric hues and scrubby textures, and the lovingly modeled piles of rustic junk and unrecognisible rubbish carefully scattered about the flooring.

You can almost sense the spot where the fat, hairy and balding shift manager, with his relentless sense of duty, would bend over and expose the crack of his sweaty and sore backside as he fruitlessly searches for his dropped important pencil.

If 343 fail to deliver this mental imagery in their future games then they have failed us all.

Lazslo

Nice thread Daxster. It's been close to six months for me without playing a Halo game, or any video game for the matter, I'm looking forward to breaking that streak the 15th of November. Have we surpassed the Infamous Halo 3 thread in posts yet?

Slightly Live said:
Yeah, the atmosphere of an abandoned industrial factory. All those murky atmospheric hues and scrubby textures, and the lovingly modeled piles of rustic junk and unrecognisible rubbish carefully scattered about the flooring.

You can almost sense the spot where the fat, hairy and balding shift manager, with his relentless sense of duty, would bend over and expose the crack of his sweaty and sore backside as he fruitlessly searches for his dropped important pencil.

If 343 fail to deliver this mental imagery in their future games then they have failed us all.
Haha well yeah actually. I mean, it feels like this abandoned place for those who find it to arrange the furniture as they please and train. Now, having said that, it caters for the players that just want to play around. The artists are faced with a massive, ugly canvas :p

I don't want multiplayer spaces to feel too cinematic. High Ground was fantastic.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
Haha well yeah actually. I mean, it feels like this abandoned place for those who find it to arrange the furniture as they please and train. Now, having said that, it caters for the players that just want to play around. The artists are faced with a massive, ugly canvas :p

I don't want multiplayer spaces to feel too cinematic. High Ground was fantastic.

Feck that. I want eye candy. I want intelligently considered layouts. I want consistent engine performance and frame-rate. Also, give me a fictional back story.

I'm a greedy shit with high expectations and demands. I want it all - everything.

heckfu

Banned
Rotations for grad school are kicking my ass. Hopefully I'll have a little time in November to play again but it's looking more and more like it'll be December. Pray for me. Or squash some tiny children in Reach.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Thank you.

Though I remain skeptical, these are the same guys who didn't notice or care that the first person model of a main weapon is seen showing its end in the edge of the screen after each shot. xD

Good point. hmmmmmm.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
Thank you.

Though I remain skeptical, these are the same guys who didn't notice or care that the first person model of a main weapon is seen showing its end in the edge of the screen after each shot. xD

I dunno. I think you're taking the cynical route. Off the top of my head I can easily imagine a good number of possibilities that would explain something like that. I think it's easy to use something like a glitch or a problem to exaggerate certain things disproportionately.

Not saying you're right or wrong here but I wouldn't consider that glitch enough to warrant a reverse on how the folks behind CEA have come across to me thus far.

feel

Where was all this different Keyes outrage when the Reach version showed up?? Or were people that disapointed by the whole campaign that they didn't even care? I tought I was the only one who hated the redesign, now with CEA I see I'm not.
Slightly Live said:
I dunno. I think you're taking the cynical route. Off the top of my head I can easily imagine a good number of possibilities that would explain something like that. I think it's easy to use something like a glitch or a problem to exaggerate certain things disproportionately.

Not saying you're right or wrong here but I wouldn't consider that glitch enough to warrant a reverse on how the folks behind CEA have come across to me thus far.
You read too much into my comment, I'm not dismissing their talents entirely or even at all.
Just trying one more time to bait him into making a comment on the shotgun.

neoism said:
this will be the best OT ever... :p

<3 <3 <3

good games Henery.. :p

Good games man, we actually killed it tonight.

Imagining CEA's last level in 3D...

^ I thought the shotgun bug was confirmed for retail from that new footage we got the other day? It's a little sloppy but I can't say I'm that bothered, the game overall looks incredible.

ElRenoRaven

thee henery said:
Good games man, we actually killed it tonight.

Imagining CEA's last level in 3D...

^ I thought the shotgun bug was confirmed for retail from that new footage we got the other day? It's a little sloppy but I can't say I'm that bothered, the game overall looks incredible.

It's not confirmed because we don't know if that was from the retail build or not. We've asked David time and time again and he ignores the question. This all after he said he'd look into it. So based off that we have to assume it's in the retail build.

PNut

Banned
You know I'm just as excited as the next person about CEA, soundtracks, bloom changes (85%), etc... but I'd really like to know if there are plans to work on "The Arena" playlist in the future. I swore it off months ago but it has so much potential since the formula was changed to W/L. Jetpack and blue spawn are killing it though.

Arena is the only playlist I can get my competitive MM fix in even searching solo or in two's.

Remove Jetpack, add 85% bloom, remove Swordbase and Reflection, add more Community maps (maybe some MLG variants?). IMO this would be a good start.

Also, if anyone likes playing Arena add me.

Nice thread Dax. :)

I will say this, while CEA looks simply amazing, some of its cutscenes look..awkward. Its the stiff animation mixed with the bright lighting, it just looks off at times. On the other hand, Sgt Johnson and the marines looked great in the cutscene, just the beginning with Keyes was so-so.

Top Bottom