• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Nutter said:
2ezite9.gif

:lol
lol what is this from?

Domino Theory said:
Same playlist manager, unfortunately. :(

MLG FFA added over giving Social Skirmish BR starts or fixing up other playlists. Awesome. :lol
Or, you know, just about any Social Skirmish variant. SS Heavy. SS Sniper Shotties. SS Splasers. SS Sumo :p

Pennybags

Dani said:
Yes. Hop on Halo 3 now and try out the playlist for an exclusive Reach hopper taken from the future.

After all, it is the Halo Reach Developer Blog's duty to inform everyone about Halo 3 updates.

Trasher said:
Hey Bladed, not trying to rush you or anything, but when do you predict the montage will be finished by? Just curious as to how long you think it will take you. What's the clip total up to now anyway?

are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet ;)

Over 100 clips (estimate 130 ish once DualX gets the remainder of the clips from the past couple of days cap'd)

Once I have them all I would estimate a week or two. Depends really. But Ill be putting a fair few hours in a day. If I want to go crazy with effects and stuff (which I'm not really a fan of) it could take longer.

Gui_PT

BladedExpert said:
Over 100 clips (estimate 130 ish once DualX gets the remainder of the clips from the past couple of days cap'd)

Once I have them all I would estimate a week or two. Depends really. But Ill be putting a fair few hours in a day. If I want to go crazy with effects and stuff (which I'm not really a fan of) it could take longer.

You know, sleep is overrated

feel

Dani said:
Great Week

• Game of Thrones TV series greenlit
  • Incoming MP Bomb
  • Portal ARG
  • New Playlist
  • Activision being evil, not great :(
Like 20 million PS3 stopped working for a day or two. That was fun times all over the place.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi, you must use the Halo 3 stat program to find out many games it will take you to reach your 50. Then multiply it by 10 to get the time and maybe cry or something.

EazyB

Banned
Come back from classes to find 5 new pages in the thread. "Awesome, MP info time."

Only to find out Bungie had to announce that their announcement of their announcement in now incorrect... not only that but there's apparently another wave of juniors? God damn, haven't even got around to putting the first batch on ignore. Now when MM is finally updated after months of fuck-nothing they only add another FFA playlist which I couldn't give two shits about, meanwhile the only objective playlist has about 600 people in it, is 100% AR starts, mind-numbingly broken flag return times, and is continuing to die out.

Thank God I just got BC2 in. :D

bobs99 ... said:
Ive played a few more games of MLG FFA and how the hell do people play for 10 minuites solid, its intense!
I haven't played for about 2 months, but I may pop the disc in just to experience this intensity. I take it the ranked FFA achievements would still work in this playlist?

EazyB said:
Come back from classes to find 5 new pages in the thread. "Awesome, MP info time."

Only to find out Bungie had to announce that their announcement of their announcement in now incorrect... not only that but there's apparently another wave of juniors? God damn, haven't even got around to putting the first batch on ignore. Now when MM is finally updated after months of fuck-nothing they only add another FFA playlist which I couldn't give two shits about, meanwhile the only objective playlist has about 600 people in it, is 100% AR starts, mind-numbingly broken flag return times, and is continuing to die out.

Quite the asshole you are.

Especially if you have me on Ignore... Easzy!?... Eazy?!

It is so sad to see the Objective Play list did so poorly... Flag game types are my most favorite in Halo :(

EazyB

Banned
Major Williams said:
I haven't played for about 2 months, but I may pop the disc in just to experience this intensity. I take it the ranked FFA achievements would still work in this playlist?
Yeah, I can finally get that 2 for 1 laser achievement.

EazyB said:

wow.jpg

EazyB said:
Yeah, I can finally get that 2 for 1 laser achievement.
:lol :lol :lol Yeah and the Sword spree and mongoose. I just realized the folly of that question after I posted it. The inherent nature of the FFA achievements is everything that is opposite of the MLG attitude.

EazyB

Banned
Man, you guys have got to watch this top 10 video IGN put together. Worst clips I've seen in my life. Link

Saw it on the Bnet blog, thanks Urkleton.

big ander

Sai-kun said:
Hey guys what's going on in this threa--

shypng.jpg
My reaction :D Can't wait for more info.

Major Williams said:
Pretty sure Kurt, Mendez and an AI, along with UNSC trainers, raised them their whole early life. Send me to Britain now (or whatever country), and I won't develop an accent like Jorge for the rest of my life.

It's the same exact thing as the ODST live-action ad. For "entertainment purposes", they had an ODST training program in Hungarian, even though the official language of the UNSC is english. No matter what country or planet it's on, the official language should be used in all official capacities. To make it more 'epic', they took away from the character of the franchise to appeal to mainstream.

100% agree.
You can gain an accent at an older age by spending time around people with that accent. There's a kid at school who spent the entire summer in Spain, and he had a bit of an accent for a while. Same with a girl I know who spent time in China for a semester.

EazyB said:

old-man-with-cane1.jpg

EazyB said:
Man, you guys have got to watch this top 10 video IGN put together. Worst clips I've seen in my life. Link

Yeah, IGN Top 10s have always been god awful :lol

So, had an interesting conversation with a Gamestop employee while picking up BC2 for my little brother:
Him: Would you like to reserve Halo Reach today? You'll want to do it soon if you're a big Halo fan!
Me: No thanks, I'll wait for a release date and special editions and all that.
Him: It comes out the first week of September! And you can put a preorder on any limited editions now.
Me: Uhhh...no thanks.
Him: If you preorder by April you'll get an exclusive Beta key!
Me: Beta key...for what?
Him: Halo Reach.
Me: Uh...okay. I'll preorder it another time. Bye. *rushes out*

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
big ander said:
So, had an interesting conversation with a Gamestop employee while picking up BC2 for my little brother:
Him: Would you like to reserve Halo Reach today? You'll want to do it soon if you're a big Halo fan!
Him: It comes out the first week of September! And you can put a preorder on any limited editions now.

That seems about right for GameStop.

vhfive

EazyB said:

what are talking about that was sick. i have never seen some get a triple in swat and someone ARing a bunch of people standing around is amazing.

Kibbles

Thinking about pulling an all nighter with Bad Company 2 and then checking the marketplace when it updates to see if there is a new MP ViDoc up.

big ander said:
You can gain an accent at an older age by spending time around people with that accent. There's a kid at school who spent the entire summer in Spain, and he had a bit of an accent for a while. Same with a girl I know who spent time in China for a semester.
Only if you choose to. Once you hit a certain age, linguistics becomes a conscious decision moreso than subconscious. Especially in cognitively superior Spartans we would only see accents develop later in life due to conscious decisions. Of course, I'm not totally disagreeing with you - over the course of one's life, his accents and dialect will change based upon the people he meets and circumstances he goes through but it is nothing drastic unless he chooses to do so. It is such a problem with me because of (A) how they were raised (in a UNSC camp) and (B) they had 'done away with' a logical explanation of the ODST live-action ad. I don't see how anyone else couldn't have a problem with it.

big ander said:
:lol Riiiiiiight. Some GS employees pretend to know everything and try to shove it down your throat. Keyword: pretend.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
vhfive said:
what are talking about that was sick. i have never seen some get a triple in swat and someone ARing a bunch of people standing around is amazing.

The Powerdrain on the mongoose was bombastic and the Epitaph clip taught me how to use a BR. Who the hell would know you can destroy a tank without another tank? Mind blow.

Kibbles said:
Thinking about pulling an all nighter with Bad Company 2 and then checking the marketplace when it updates to see if there is a new MP ViDoc up.

Holy shit did I miss something? A new ViDoc coming soon? This is awesome news if true. Been out of the loop all day playing BC2.

Trasher

Major Williams said:
Only if you choose to. Once you hit a certain age, linguistics becomes a conscious decision moreso than subconscious. Especially in cognitively superior Spartans we would only see accents develop later in life due to conscious decisions. Of course, I'm not totally disagreeing with you - over the course of one's life, his accents and dialect will change based upon the people he meets and circumstances he goes through but it is nothing drastic unless he chooses to do so. It is such a problem with me because of (A) how they were raised (in a UNSC camp) and (B) they had 'done away with' a logical explanation of the ODST live-action ad. I don't see how anyone else couldn't have a problem with it.

:lol Riiiiiiight. Some GS employees pretend to know everything and try to shove it down your throat. Keyword: pretend.
This really bugs you doesn't it? I could have sworn we had this same discussion months ago. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The MLG FFA playlist is awesome. I'm sorry that some of you can't appreciate the 2nd best playlist in Halo 3. :/

I've played about 10 matches of MLG FFA and I have to say that I very much approve. I'm a level 9 right now, and I think the highest person currently is almost at 20. It won't be my regular playlist, that's still normal MLG 4v4, however the FFA will serve as a great warm up and time killer when none of my friends are on. There are 5 maps and I'd rank them like this:

1. Midship
2. Lockdown(Foundry)
3. Reactor(Assembly)
4. Citadel
5. Guaridan

There are absolutely no power weapons in this playlist or power ups. It's all BR and Carbines, which is just great. There's no camping at all. In fact, it's actually a really bad idea to camp in MLG FFA. The guy who sees the most players is often the one to win. You gotta really open your eyes when you play this map too. You can't just look at whats in front of you but also what's going on across the map. I'm still trying to learn that, I'm definitely not that great of an FFA player. Asssembly has changed a good deal, they've closed off the back bases on both levels and I don't think you can get to rocket spawn either. I was surprised at how well it plays, I had a lot of fun on it. Citadel is pretty good too. There's definitely some potential for some good jumps on Citadel too. Basically on that map you just run around the entire outside circle of the map and catch players on spawn or either fighting each other. It might be a good idea to cut back as well. Lockdown FFA was pretty good for MLG Ball back in v6 but it is really good in FFA. Good deal of open space, lots of great escape opportunities and great jumps. I was never a huge fan of Guaridan and I'm actually kind of disappointed that it is an FFA map.

Also 8 man FFA is the way FFA is supposed to be played. You should have to take a trip across the map to find someone. It's fast paced, hectic and will allow for some awesome multikills. I choked on an Overkill on Assembly today :/

It has radar, I would recommend all of you to give it a go. You lesser hardcore players might want to wait a little while though. It's littered with MLG 50's at the moment and I don't want that to discourage anyone.

Tashi0106 said:
The MLG FFA playlist is awesome. I'm sorry that some of you can't appreciate the 2nd best playlist in Halo 3. :/

I've played about 10 matches of MLG FFA and I have to say that I very much approve. I'm a level 9 right now, and I think the highest person currently is almost at 20. It won't be my regular playlist, that's still normal MLG 4v4, however the FFA will serve as a great warm up and time killer when none of my friends are on. There are 5 maps and I'd rank them like this:

1. Midship
2. Lockdown(Foundry)
3. Reactor(Assembly)
4. Citadel
5. Guaridan

There are absolutely no power weapons in this playlist or power ups. It's all BR and Carbines, which is just great. There's no camping at all. In fact, it's actually a really bad idea to camp in MLG FFA. The guy who sees the most players is often the one to win. You gotta really open your eyes when you play this map too. You can't just look at whats in front of you but also what's going on across the map. I'm still trying to learn that, I'm definitely not that great of an FFA player. Asssembly has changed a good deal, they've closed off the back bases on both levels and I don't think you can get to rocket spawn either. I was surprised at how well it plays, I had a lot of fun on it. Citadel is pretty good too. There's definitely some potential for some good jumps on Citadel too. Basically on that map you just run around the entire outside circle of the map and catch players on spawn or either fighting each other. It might be a good idea to cut back as well. Lockdown FFA was pretty good for MLG Ball back in v6 but it is really good in FFA. Good deal of open space, lots of great escape opportunities and great jumps. I was never a huge fan of Guaridan and I'm actually kind of disappointed that it is an FFA map.

Also 8 man FFA is the way FFA is supposed to be played. You should have to take a trip across the map to find someone. It's fast paced, hectic and will allow for some awesome multikills. I choked on an Overkill on Assembly today :/

It has radar, I would recommend all of you to give it a go. You lesser hardcore players might want to wait a little while though. It's littered with MLG 50's at the moment and I don't want that to discourage anyone.

I love the playlist but despise Midship, Heretic didnt seem to have as much junk to get in the way although I didnt play Halo 2 much. Midship being the most common map therfore puts me off. Personally I love Guardian :lol and think Construct is the best ive played (only seen it once though), Assembly suprised me as I usually hate it, love it in this though.

I love the 10 minuite timer idea aswell, you really have to stay on your toes and concentrate for 10 minuites solid if you want to win.

Tashi how many games have you played?

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
I love the playlist but despise Midship, Heretic didnt seem to have as much junk to get in the way although I didnt play Halo 2 much. Midship being the most common map therfore puts me off. Personally I love Guardian :lol and think Construct is the best ive played (only seen it once though), Assembly suprised me as I usually hate it, love it in this though.

I love the 10 minuite timer idea aswell, you really have to stay on your toes and concentrate for 10 minuites solid if you want to win.

Tashi how many games have you played?

Total or just of that playlist? Total is...9770 lol and 11 of MLG FFA

EazyB said:

The crazy stick from the back of the flipping Mongoose was actually pretty good. The rest of them were lame, made even worse by the atrocious the camera work.

Trasher said:
This really bugs you doesn't it? I could have sworn we had this same discussion months ago. :lol
Haha, yeah Trasher, it unfortunately does. And I dropped it. But Reach just pushes it back in my face once again.

I like Halo for the story. Continuity issues I would think would be addressed, and for the most part, are. Glaring things like using ammunition rounds without smart systems in place in the 26th century I understand, but that's something that is kind of unavoidable for gameplay reasons.

Flawed character development? That's different, and should absolutely be done right in order to maintain the seriousness of the story.

Tashi0106 said:
Total or just of that playlist? Total is...9770 lol and 11 of MLG FFA

Ah I meant just that playlist, im trying to compare, im lvl 7 after 9 games, but I guess right now everyones gonna rank up at the same pace. I started doing aweful towards the end, negative double digits a few times, im going to wait till im not so tired :lol

I do want to play it now though, im worried in a few weeks the population will take a nose dive.

Trasher

Major Williams said:
Haha, yeah Trasher, it unfortunately does. And I dropped it. But Reach just pushes it back in my face once again.

I like Halo for the story. Continuity issues I would think would be addressed, and for the most part, are. Glaring things like using ammunition rounds without smart systems in place in the 26th century I understand, but that's something that is kind of unavoidable for gameplay reasons.

Flawed character development? That's different, and should absolutely be done right in order to maintain the seriousness of the story.
I know a few people who have lived in drastically different areas from where they came from, and some of them picked up slight accents even after only a couple years. I'm not trying to say you are wrong because you obviously seemed to have put more thought and research into the matter than I have, but I guess it just kind of makes sense that someone could pick up an accent later on in life if they have spent enough time around people with thick accents.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I love the idea of the MLG FFA playlist, just I wouldn't step foot in it. I like winning games, strangely enough.

Trasher said:
I know a few people who have lived in drastically different areas from where they came from, and some of them picked up slight accents even after only a couple years. I'm not trying to say you are wrong because you obviously seemed to have put more thought and research into the matter than I have, but I guess it just kind of makes sense that someone could pick up an accent later on in life if they have spent enough time around people with thick accents.

I fail at accents, AYE.

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
Ah I meant just that playlist, im trying to compare, im lvl 7 after 9 games, but I guess right now everyones gonna rank up at the same pace. I started doing aweful towards the end, negative double digits a few times, im going to wait till im not so tired :lol

I do want to play it now though, im worried in a few weeks the population will take a nose dive.

Yea it's tough. I still haven't mastered the art of FFA yet? I can't seem to get a steady stream of kills throughout the whole match. Sometimes I have rough starts and get into hot streaks but then die down again. Other times I'll start off hot, cool down and and then level out. I should pull up some old school H2 Midship FFA videos to get an idea.

Top Bottom